FDA Rejects Health Claim for Green Tea

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
WASHINGTON (AP) - There is no credible scientific evidence that drinking green tea reduces the risk of heart disease, federal regulators said Tuesday in rejecting a petition that sought to allow tea labels to make that claim. The Food and Drug Administration said it reviewed 105 articles and other publications submitted as part of the petition but could find no evidence to support claims of the beverage's health benefits.

"FDA concludes there is no credible evidence to support qualified health claims for green tea or green tea extract and a reduction of a number of risk factors associated with CVD" or cardiovascular disease, Barbara O. Schneeman, director of the agency's Office of Nutritional Products, Labeling and Dietary Supplements, wrote in a letter denying the petition. The FDA posted the letter to its Web site Tuesday.

Ito En Ltd., a Japanese company that bills itself as the world's largest green tea company, and its U.S. subsidiary, Ito En (North America) Inc., petitioned the FDA in June 2005, seeking to make the claim that drinking at least five ounces of green tea a day may reduce the risk of heart disease...The FDA previously has said that green tea likely does not reduce breast, prostate or any other type of cancer risk...
The rest is found here.

But another recent thread here has this to say

And they wonder why people are confused about what they should do?

rocketscientist

Awards
Yes, the FDA is rigorous when it comes to health claims. Only thoroughly investigated claims can get their approval. Take soy as an example, if there had been any doubts on the health benefits of soy, the FDA would never had released the health claim.

On a similar note I heard that the FDA is currently considering a health claim for the active ingredient in superdrol (methasteron) for its role in promoting sleep and, if taken (by men) over a longer period of time, for use as alternative means of birth control.

UnicronSpawn

UnicronSpawn

Awards
  • Established
I heard that the FDA is currently considering a health claim for the active ingredient in superdrol (methasteron) for its role in promoting sleep and, if taken (by men) over a longer period of time, for use as alternative means of birth control.
LOL. You cant be serious. Last I heard they wanted Methasteron off the market. Youre joking right?.........Right?

rocketscientist

Awards
LOL. You cant be serious. Last I heard they wanted Methasteron off the market. Youre joking right?.........Right?
Yeah, I thought the example of soy with focusing at a singled out parts of the whole picture only to make a health statement was pretty funny. So why not try that for SD as well...

So, no - the FDA is not considering a health claim for methasteron. :run:

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
The FDA can go suck on a whale. The more I hear about how incompetent and misinformed the people that govern our very rights are, the more I want to sink my head deeper into the sand and eat grilled cheese until I choke.

UnicronSpawn

UnicronSpawn

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I thought the example of soy with focusing at a singled out parts of the whole picture only to make a health statement was pretty funny. So why not try that for superdrol as well...

So, no - the FDA is not considering a health claim for methasteron. :run:

Lol. I thought you were, but w/ out hearing tone of voice it's sometimes hard to detect sarcasm in text, w/out there being a "JK" thrown in.

And maybe amputation can be approved as a weight loss treatment.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
The FDA is run by retards and monkeys.

They analyze data and then spin their own conclusions depending on their political agenda.

What a sham scientific agency.

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
If only the FDA was an org independent of the government and their agenda...

rocketscientist

Awards
And maybe amputation can be approved as a weight loss treatment.
That definitly has some promise, but only if certain doctors lobby hard enough (now I need a 'ka-ching' smiley).