1. Registered User
    Answers

Post Choices: Testosterone Matters, but Only in the Short Term

AP NEWS
    May 23, 2006
    Vital Signs
    Choices: Testosterone Matters, but Only in the Short Term
    By NICHOLAS BAKALAR

Women can tell whether a man has high testosterone levels and whether he likes children just by looking at his face, a new study has found.

Researchers recruited 39 heterosexual men ages 18 to 33 and tested their testosterone levels. They measured the men's level of interest in children by asking whether they preferred pictures of adult or infant faces when both were presented at the same time.

Then they showed photographs of the men's faces to 29 women from 18 to 20. On a scale of 1 to 7, the women rated the men for "likes children," "masculine," "physically attractive," and "kind." Next, they rated the men's attractiveness as short- and long-term partners.

The women consistently rated men with high testosterone levels as physically attractive, and consistently gave high marks for "likes children" to those who scored high on the infant preference test.

They rated men with high testosterone levels as attractive for short-term relationships, but considered men with high "likes children" levels as more appealing for the long term. The study appears online in The Proceedings of the Royal Society B.

"There does seem to be some information in faces that could be important for mate choice decisions," said James R. Roney, an assistant professor of psychology at the University of California, Santa Barbara, and the study's lead author.

But he remained cautious about the results. "We don't know how important a role these things play in the real world," he said. "I'd just like to urge a little caution in how these findings are interpreted, and I'd like to see them replicated in an independent sample before drawing any grandiose conclusions."

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/23/health/23choi.html

2. Registered User
    Answers

I wonder if the high testosterone has any statistical significance on whether or not the individual likes children.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Answers

That's what I was trying to figure out. The study said that both high T & "likes children" reveiced high marks, I think I had associated high marks with high T. But then they broke it down between the high marks to be short term & long term, implying that high T levels & "likes children" were opposites.
    •   

4. Board Supporter
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Answers

maybe thats why women only want a one night stand with me. bastards.
  5. Gold Member
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by wastedwhiteboy2
    maybe thats why women only want a one night stand with me. bastards.
  6. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by size
    I wonder if the high testosterone has any statistical significance on whether or not the individual likes children.
    This seems to indicate that it is two different qualities being measured and implies that they are mutually exclusive but doesn't actually say so.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. mdrol cycle started but birthday in the way
    By yokingupsick in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07-21-2009, 08:43 PM
  2. My Delimma.. Want Kick in the A$$ energy but..
    By Korben in forum Supplements
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-12-2007, 01:01 PM
  3. In TRT, HCG is LH analog... But, what about the null FSH??
    By BigAk in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-12-2007, 02:01 PM
  4. Idk if this is in the right spot but....marijuana.....
    By Quickone in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-24-2006, 07:21 PM
  5. Sub-q in the but?
    By th0m in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-03-2004, 12:07 AM