Here we go...Scientist has developed a drug that makes you 40% stronger with MGF

jomi822

jomi822

Banned
Awards
  • Established
http://www.hendontimes.co.uk/features/newsfeatures/display.var.602639.0.a_new_lease_of_life.php

Injection that makes you 40% stronger
By Beena Nadeem

Super human: after 15 years of research Professor Geoff Goldspink and his team are ready to trial their new gene technique on people

It may sound like the stuff of the Seventies television series The Bionic Man: a simple injection that increases the strength of a man by 40 per cent in just weeks.

But as much as it sounds like a superhuman fairy tale, the reality is in fact a real-life medical miracle.

After 15 years of research, scientists, lead by Professor Geoff Goldspink at the Royal Free Hospital in Hampstead, have developed a groundbreaking technique that can greatly increase human capabilities.

But in this case it is done, not by fitting robotic limbs as with the television character Steve Austin, but by injecting genes into wasted muscles, giving them a new lease of life.

continued...
The implications are huge: a possible cure for muscular dystrophy, a potential goodbye to motor neurone disease, and a significant boost to the lives of cancer, AIDS, stroke and heart attack patients.

After being successfully tested on mice, it is now ready to be trialled on people. Better still, within just five years it could be widely available through the NHS, thanks to interest from a large pharmaceutical conglomerate which is looking to mass produce the product.

"I intend to retire in about three years' time, and I expect to see it being administered by then," said Professor Goldspink.

It works by injecting a gene, that is naturally produced when we exercise, into wasted tissue. This gene activates the muscle stem cells, which in turn increase the production of a protein called mechano growth factor (MGF).

MGF boosts muscle mass and improves its ability to grow and repair itself.

"The gene which we have cloned turns out to be more of a repair factor rather than just a growth factor," explains Professor Goldspink.

"It makes this a very good candidate for therapy for muscular dystrophy, especially as we have found a way to introduce this growth factor into the body systematically so that it affects all muscles, not just the one that has been injected," said Professor Goldspink.

It's important to realise though, that it is not Professor Goldspink's intention to create a brand new world' of superhuman men and women.

The treatment is intended to give a fighting chance of survival to people with incurable long-term illnesses, such as muscle-wasting diseases like motor neurone disease, which killed the actor David Niven and the football manager Don Revie.

The disease affects nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord, and as the motor neurones gradually die, the muscles stop working, leading to a slow death.

It kills at least three people a day in the UK alone, with half dying within 14 months of diagnosis.

"Every week I get emails from people with muscle-wasting diseases for which there is no treatment. It would be great to be able to do something to help save these people from what can be a dreadful, lingering death," said Professor Goldspink.

As for those within organisations that have day-to-day dealings with the disease, there's a more tentative welcome.

Belina Cupid, research co-ordinator of the Motor Neurone Disease Association said: "We welcome any advances in medical research done by Professor Goldspink, and hope for more effective treatment of motor neurone disease in the future."

However, she adds: "Gene therapy is a very new treatment, and we would support such treatment if it's fully investigated for this study."

Gene therapy has also had its fair share of criticism when it comes to cancer, and in some cases has actually been blamed for increasing the growth of cancers, although Dr Goldspink denies his form of gene therapy will have this side effect.

"It's largely confused with another treatment which can cause already cancerous cells to increase, but this treatment has a difference sequential DNA and a different protein gene and therefore does a different job, and is unlikely to cause cancer."

Instead, he said the treatment can actually help cancer patients.

"By counteracting the muscle loss associated with their diseases, it will make chemotherapy more effective."

Dr Kat Arney, science information officer at Cancer Research UK, welcomes the developments, but is cautious.

"Any new treatment must be tested thoroughly in clinical trials before we can tell if it will be safe and beneficial to cancer patients, and gene therapy is no exception," she said.

So, although welcomed by the medical world, albeit tentatively, sport is one specific field into which experts all hope the treatment will never encroach. However, the abuse of the treatment to boost the performance of athletes is, according to Dr Goldspink, inevitable'.

"It will, absolutely, be abused by athletes," he said. "It will be misused because is has such an incredible effect on muscle growth."

The potential problem has already worried the International Olympic Committee, which has provided Dr Goldspink's team with a grant to find a way of detecting when the drug has been administered to athletes'.

In the same way steroids were developed in the 1930s to help elderly men regain strength, and, more recently, the use of a man-made copy of a naturally occurring substance EPO Epoetin, which stimulates the production of red blood cells and boosts oxygen in the body, gene therapy is likely to be on the list of medical advances to be abused by athletes.

The problem with gene therapy, and other naturally occurring substances, is that they cannot be put on the World Anti Doping Agency's banned list unless a way of detecting it has first been developed.

Peter Matthews, president of Enfield & Haringey Athletics Club and author of the International Athletics Annual said: "It's a good thing for treatment of wasting illnesses, but when it comes to athletics it needs to be detectable. That is a concern, and there have to be some rules drawn up."

The difficulty lies in whether athletes use the treatment legitimately, for example, when treating an injury, or whether it's used to encourage illegitimate muscle strength.

"In that case it creates a very unfair playing field," he said. "It's obviously a big problem for sport."

Bryan Smith, non-executive director of UK Athletics, and head of Endurance Competition in UK Athletics, as well as manager of Copthall Management Services, knows only to well the impact drug taking can have on sport.

He said: "Drugs, often those naturally occurring in the body and used to boost the performance of athletes, are used mostly for endurance events such as cycling and long-distance running." Many athletes, for example Paula Radcliffe, adopt legal' practices, including high altitude training, to help boost haemoglobin in the blood. But when it comes to gene therapy to boost performance, the line of acceptability is clearly crossed.

"However, how will we know?" he said. "The problem is that unless there's a way of detecting the drug has been taken, there is no way of stopping it."

So, what may be great news for the families of terminally-ill patients, could herald a new headache for sports administrators.

Mr Smith concludes that with gene therapy, the world of sport is skating on thin ice.

"Nine out of ten treatments abused by athletes tend to be those developed for medical use," said Mr Smith. "But it's opening a huge can of worms."

5:03pm Thursday 2nd June 2005

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
It may sound like the stuff of the Seventies television series The Bionic Man: a simple injection that increases the strength of a man by 40 per cent in just weeks.
Oh crap! They're on to me!!! :run:

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Even suggesting that people playing unfair in sports is reason enough to stop something that can save lives is retarded. I wonder how that kind of increase would be tolerated by the body by those using for recreational use.

wideguy

wideguy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Who is really harmed by people using any performance enhancing drugs in sports or anywhere else? If all the fat patheitic man-tit sporting face panting gambling beer burping finger pointing half a ***** "SPORTS FANS" aka I have NO LIFE SO I PRETEND THAT IT'S MY TEAM BY MEMORIZING EVERYONES NAMES STATS AND BUYING A SHIRT WITH THE NAME OF MY FAVORITE PLAYER WHO WOULD FORGET MY NAME A FACE LESS THEN 10 SECONDS AFTER THEY MEET ME LOSERS would just get a life and not make sports such big business. Then this would be way less and issue. That and if people started smashing most politicians in the face with a brick the second they started talking about something they have no backround or eductation on...wich would basically be simpler to say the second they start talking.

jomi822

jomi822

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Who is really harmed by people using any performance enhancing drugs in sports or anywhere else? If all the fat patheitic man-tit sporting face panting gambling beer burping finger pointing half a ***** "SPORTS FANS" aka I have NO LIFE SO I PRETEND THAT IT'S MY TEAM BY MEMORIZING EVERYONES NAMES STATS AND BUYING A SHIRT WITH THE NAME OF MY FAVORITE PLAYER WHO WOULD FORGET MY NAME A FACE LESS THEN 10 SECONDS AFTER THEY MEET ME LOSERS would just get a life and not make sports such big business. Then this would be way less and issue. That and if people started smashing most politicians in the face with a brick the second they started talking about something they have no backround or eductation on...wich would basically be simpler to say the second they start talking.
ease off the tren man haha :run:

well i can say for one that i will be one of those damned people "abusing" this drug once it hits the black market. Gene therapy to increase the entire body's skeletal muscle mass' production of MGF.

maybe we sports medicine type people should concentrate on finding a longer acting peptide that we can see real results from.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
:cheers:

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
The problem is what kind of an effect would it have on tendons and ligaments. I week your squating 495 then 3 weeks later you now sqauting 750.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Note to Jmh80 - do NOT piss off Wideguy. He'll kill you!
:run:

Gmonkey

Awards
I wonder if this increases genetic maximal strength or just makes it easier and quicker to reach your genetic max? Can anyone with more knowledge expand on this?

jomi822

jomi822

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Wow...maybe this sounds dumb but ah how can I get some of this??? My bi's are shrinking as I type lol...
i doubt well be seeing anything like this for awhile. Gene therapy hasnt made its way into bodybuilding...yet.

what we need is a long acting peptide that works. people arent getting results anywhere near what this scientist was getting, if at all, with the MGF normal peptide.

Pioneer

Pioneer

Awards
  • Established
I have no doubts the government is looking into this, the military im sure is keeping a close eye on the progress.

BigMfer

BigMfer

Awards
  • Established
Not surprised! How do they test for this? I remember a while back I started a thread about the future of dopping, Gene dopping. It will start ANARCHY around the world :toofunny:

Will be interesting, but I bet $$$$$

Pax

Pax

Awards
  • Established
Wow... If it can spur only localized growth vs. systematic, then SIGN ME UP!!!

jecko29

jecko29

Awards
  • Established
:goodpost: :clap2:

jecko

Pax

Pax

Awards
  • Established
Come on.. as the government says... we're all really just a bunch of junkies with needles sticking out of us, nevermind the fact that we utilize substances to HELP our body, not destroy it... (sarcasm!)

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
Will this be available as a pre-sale clone?
If I double the dose, will I become 80% stronger?
Should I stock up before the up comming ban?
Who do I e-mail about my order..I mean I just heard of this 30 seconds ago..but why have I not received my order?
Can I stack this with a Methylated compound?
okay I'm done..I'll just leave my credit card details and address, So when you guys get some just charge my card!

Pax

Pax

Awards
  • Established
I also wonder when the PEGylated version will be available and what its efficacy will be vs. the original that IBE sold..

Pax

Pax

Awards
  • Established
Any bets on how long it will be until a "safe" viral version is available?

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
I really wish he would make more of his studies on humans available because I am DYING to see the way he doses this stuff as well as what dosages he is using. I believe he uses the PEGylated version too in his studies, which IBE is in the process of carrying.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
Along with this we are going to need a new super drug for our joints, otherwise we'll be tearing muscle off the bone quite easily. Look at it like this lets say you can deadlift 405lbs, you'll be adding 162lbs to your deadlift weight in a matter of weeks! My spine hurts just thinking about it, lol. Ya it does sound promising but i would definitely worry about injuries. To be safe i'd run igf-1+gh+adequan+cissus+eq, lol.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
You guys need to realize the statistic there though. These people were only getting a 40% increase in strength because they have muscle wasting disorders such as muscular dystrophy!! No healthy human is going to see an increase even close to that from these peptides. MGF shows promise but until we learn more about its inhibitory effects on myoblast differentiation, its true half-life, and things such as this, we need to stop fantasizing over articles like this.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
You guys need to be careful about looking too far into statistics such as these because they are very misleading. The only reason these people were seeing 40% increases in strength were due to the fact they have muscle wasting disorders such as muscular dystrophy. No healthy human is going to see a strength increase even CLOSE to the increases seen in that study. MGF shows a lot of promise, and the PEGylated version will show even more promise due to its longer half life and bioavailibility, however, until we understand more about the inhibitor effects MGF has on myoblast differentiation, the true half-life, and learn more about relative dosages, we need to stop fantasizing over articles like this and take a step back and analyze the situation.

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
You guys need to be careful about looking too far into statistics such as these because they are very misleading. The only reason these people were seeing 40% increases in strength were due to the fact they have muscle wasting disorders such as muscular dystrophy. No healthy human is going to see a strength increase even CLOSE to the increases seen in that study. MGF shows a lot of promise, and the PEGylated version will show even more promise due to its longer half life and bioavailibility, however, until we understand more about the inhibitor effects MGF has on myoblast differentiation, the true half-life, and learn more about relative dosages, we need to stop fantasizing over articles like this and take a step back and analyze the situation.
" The muscle is a terrible thing to waste!"

UnicronSpawn

UnicronSpawn

Awards
  • Established
If the only thing delaying patients from getting the medicine they need is that a bunch of jack asses dont want anyone to get to good at a sport then I think that's utterly insane, and completely morally bankrupt. If it's relatively safe they should just give it to all the athletes and forget about the old records that were set in a different era. Who gives a crap if shortstops start hitting 60 homeruns a year, it will be better to watch anyway. Stopping medical progress to insure against superhuman physical achivement it just retarded.:frustrate :nutkick: