African-American men have a higher rate of prostate cancer

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Earl Woods' Death Spotlights Prostate Cancer Risk One in Five African-American Men Will Be Diagnosed

Chicago Daily Herald

05-10-06

Maurice Denton checked his blood pressure each day on his machine at home.

He knew the symptoms and warning signs of stroke, the disease that claimed his father.

Careful about his health, Denton, 75, made sure during a medical checkup to let his doctor know about his frequent and urgent need to urinate.

The doctor checked for the reason, and found it in Denton's prostate.

"The cancer sneaked up on me," Denton says.

Following last week's death of Earl Woods, golfer Tiger Woods' dad, prostate cancer survivors like Denton, doctors and advocacy groups want their message to be very clear: Men, especialy African- American men, should check regularly for prostate cancer, even if they have no symptoms.

African-American men have a higher rate of getting and of dying from prostate cancer than men of any other racial or ethnic group in the U.S.

The disease will strike one in five black men, the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports. Their chance of dying from prostate cancer is at least double the rate for white, Hispanic, American Indian or Asian men, the CDC says.

The disease doesn't play favorites. Political opposites Colin Powell, the former secretary of state, and actor/activist Harry Belafonte both have been diagnosed. Woods, 74, learned in 1998 that he had the disease. He died Wednesday in Cypress, Calif.

The prostate is a walnut-sized gland located just below the bladder in men. Researchers don't know what causes prostate cancer, how to prevent it, or why some cases are killers while others grow slowly and never turn into serious health threats.

They also don't know why prostate cancer is more common - and more deadly - in African-American men.

A high-fat diet found in some traditional African-American cultures could contribute to getting that form of cancer, says Dr. Ronald Hickombottom of St. Joseph's Hospital in Chicago.

Hormonal differences could be another culprit, Hickombottom said.

While researchers sort it out, advocates say African-American men should begin regular testing at age 40, compared to age 55 for most white men. It's not something men look forward to, and many put it off.

"Here's what it boils down to," says Jamie Bearse of the National Prostate Cancer Coalition. "Only half of men at risk get screened annually. It's worse among African-Americans."

Screening entails taking a blood test to check levels of PSA, a substance that, when elevated, can indicate prostate cancer. Doctors also recommend a digital rectal exam, which allows a doctor to check internally for the prostate gland's size and shape.

"It's the rectal exam that none of us likes to have," Hickombottom says.

Treatment for prostate cancer ranges from careful observation and waiting to surgical removal of the prostate gland, radiation treatment and drug therapy.

After his diagnosis and treatment, Denton, who lives in South suburban Dolton, joined Us Too, a Downers Grove-based prostate cancer support group. He tries to build awareness of the disease, especially among his own family.

"I'd try to talk to my brother about it," Denton says. "If he didn't know about it, it's like it would go away. He didn't want to know about (prostate cancer). This is what I'm talking about. Out of sight. Out of mind. That's a big problem."

Us Too is in its third year of a $1.4 million grant from the CDC to create a pilot program for minorities and under-served people, says Pam Barrett, Us Too director of development. Us Too gets $290,000 a year through a renewable grant they have to reapply for each year.

The grant, Barrett says, funds a program to train volunteers who are members of these communities to help them talk about prostate cancer and treatment options.

In promoting cancer screening, it's important to directly address cultural ideas that might be held by black men, says Hickombottom, whose own father had prostate cancer.

"It's not a test that will make you less of a man," he says. "It only takes 10 seconds and can ensure your quality of life."

Ten seconds for 10 to 20 more years alive, Hickombottom says, is an offer too good to refuse.

GRAPHIC: Prostate cancer

- African-American men have the highest rate of prostate cancer in the world. The rate is 60 percent high than in white men.

- Prostate cancer is the second-leading cause of cancer death for African-American men. It is second only to lung cancer.

- One in five African-American men is at a lifetime risk to get prostate cancer.

- White men are encouraged to have doctors check for prostate cancer at age 55. Black men are urged to get tested at age 40.

- A late diagnosis of prostate cancer in need of immediate treatment can cause erectile dysfunction or impotence.

Source: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; interviews

400runner

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i have been wondering about this. could be linked to more DHT? blacks seem to be more aggressive and more self confident than others. maybe im way off base here so please dont hate me.

Apowerz6

Apowerz6

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
WELL THANK YOU 400 for the compliment because I know my boo-boo do not stink. :lol:
Thank you yeahright for the post...

I believe diet, and lack of excercise is the cause for prostate issues. As my father is taking medication to reduce his prostate size. He was my gym partner 2 years back, changed job titiles and became sedetary and had a stroke, after gaining 40 lbs after his heart surgery. In additon the test used to detect prostate cancer does not seem appealing but it is effective, you try telling a man who is already prob. Homophobic that you are going to stick youre finger in their Arse, sheit its not going to happen. This article is a good start, and def sheds some light on the garbage eating of our community. They also need to point out the rise in IBS/IBD and colon cancer in our community which is exclusive to our high fat/ high carb diet!!!

rocketscientist

Awards
This is slightly off topic, but I read in some NY times article some time ago (and this article seems to hint in the same direction) that African Americans have on average higher testosterone levels than whities like me. (Do you know anything about this Apo?) Whereas I of course think, if true, this would be unfair ( :D ), it could explain this in part.

On the other hand issues like the one mentioned in this report are typically avoided or if brought up are not fairly discussed since noting any difference between races exposes one to be accused of being racist...

Apowerz6

Apowerz6

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
HEY RS, I am an endo, although big ,so I cannot attest to test levels, I just know mine are Pisspoor therefore I have to supplement them, so my estro levels get lowered etc... I hate that we cannot disscuss this without being called racist etc. Certain disorders just happen to certain races Point blank, this country is way toooooo PC although not popular I can respect a white supremist who states his beliefs (although I do not respect his stance) than someone who is a closet racist. This is def a topic that needs to be discussed.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
My guess is that it's related to lower serum levels of Vitamin D.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
This is slightly off topic, but I read in some NY times article some time ago (and this article seems to hint in the same direction) that African Americans have on average higher testosterone levels than whities like me. (Do you know anything about this Apo?) Whereas I of course think, if true, this would be unfair ( :D ), it could explain this in part.

On the other hand issues like the one mentioned in this report are typically avoided or if brought up are not fairly discussed since noting any difference between races exposes one to be accused of being racist...
There is a difference in test levels, its true, and that "may" have something to do with it, but they'd really have to get into deep demographics within the african american community to be able to draw a correlation it to hormone levels. For example, many anabolic steroids are impoverished and like APowerz6 said, it could be the impoverished diet. So, breaking apart demographics based on income, education, etc would be important to start figuring this out.

Hormones play a big role in the body, but I think bodybuilders think hormones are responsible for too much :lol:

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
study is racist

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
I didn't realze it before...BUT.. you're right :eek:

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
study is racist
How is that? Some of the discussion here hasn't made me all that comfortable but the study simply measures outcomes by self-identified race (race being a social construct, virtually meaningless genetically)?

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
How is that? Some of the discussion here hasn't made me all that comfortable but the study simply measures outcomes by self-identified race (race being a social construct, virtually meaningless genetically)?
only kidding my friend :)
kwycke got it, good article

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
(race being a social construct, virtually meaningless genetically)?
Big fallacy there.

There are enough morphlogical differences between races to consider us different species, but one of the factors of "speciation" is the inability to breed either by genetics OR by inability to make contact. So, if we had two green human peoples separated by a big wall but practically identical otherwise they would be considereed a different species..stuid eh?

Remember, we determine what factors make a species a species, a race a race, a clade a clade, etc. and taxonomy is a mess and giving humans such meaningless distinctions as race and clade are pretty politicaly motivated. If we didn't say that "we're all one race" imagine what the bigots would do with that... lol

Sorry about the OT rant. I'm just disgusted in how politically correctness has infiltrated good science. Science and politics should not mix IMO.

Apowerz6

Apowerz6

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Ditto Kwyck, I have learned to appreciate, and differeniate the two, esp after your blazing hot Fireman's test thread :rofl:
And Ced it is racist, but hey brothas got to hear the truth...

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Big fallacy there.

There are enough morphlogical differences between races to consider us different species, but one of the factors of "speciation" is the inability to breed either by genetics OR by inability to make contact. So, if we had two green human peoples separated by a big wall but practically identical otherwise they would be considereed a different species..stuid eh?

Remember, we determine what factors make a species a species, a race a race, a clade a clade, etc. and taxonomy is a mess and giving humans such meaningless distinctions as race and clade are pretty politicaly motivated. If we didn't say that "we're all one race" imagine what the bigots would do with that... lol

Sorry about the OT rant. I'm just disgusted in how politically correctness has infiltrated good science. Science and politics should not mix IMO.
Frankly, I'm not seeing how you disagreed with me. I didn't say that there weren't genetic variations between human populations. I said that our concept of "race" is a social construct. You identify it as a political construct.

One cannot simply look at someone and tell what genetic variations they carry. Most african-americans have a high degree of european genetic material. Most new-world hispanics are a blend of native-american and european genetic material. Etc. Etc. For example, someone may appear "black" but carry a genetic disease primarily associated with some slavic tribe.

This blending is most prevalent in places of the world where populations immigrate but genetic studies of even homogeneous societies shows the history of population migration in their ancestry.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Ditto Kwyck, I have learned to appreciate, and differeniate the two, esp after your blazing hot Fireman's test thread :rofl:
Huh? Firemans test thread? I forgot allllllll about it. Now I'm curiuos :lol:
And Ced it is racist, but hey brothas got to hear the truth...
Yep CED, its confirmed...and if everyone here doesn't beleve me, CED, and AZ.... try tellng this guy (jesse jackson if ya didn't know) the study isn't racist.

Attachments

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Frankly, I'm not seeing how you disagreed with me.
I was under the impression you were saying race was a social construct in that you believe bigots are responsible and implying that "we're all the same". That's not true "yet", however, I do agree that in due time we will all be pretty much the same because of much interbreeding and we'll be damn near impossible to classify by anything other than local culture and location.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
African-Americans have a higher rate of prostate cancer (fact) = racist

African-Americans are usually better baskteball players (fact) = racist

we can't reach a conclusion abou a certain race in America (except Whites) without it being considered a 'stereotype'. How'd we get to this point?

good article, I was only kidding before. I knew this to be true. Similar to blacks have higher rates of sickle cell.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
damnit deo, don't you get it... god made us all equal (common knowledge) :lol:

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
he made me an above average dancer:dance: <-- see