Lactic Acid article - AnabolicMinds.com

Lactic Acid article

1. New Member

Lactic Acid article

NOt sure if this has been posted but found this interesting.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/16/he...erland&emc=rss

2. Banned

This is crazy news for me. Being a cyclist and all, lactic acid was my biggest fear!
  3. Board Supporter
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.

good article. I always thought lactic acid is what breaks down the muscle so I always tried to get that soreness. I was doing it right but for the wrong reasons.
    •   

4. CDB

Is it me, or do they seem to be mixing up aerobic and anaerobic exercise in this article?

Quote Originally Posted by Original Article with emphasis added
    Athletes were told that they should spend most of their effort exercising aerobically, using glucose as a fuel. If they tried to spend too much time exercising harder, in the anaerobic zone, they were told, they would pay a price, that lactic acid would accumulate in the muscles, forcing them to stop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Original Article
    "They said, 'You're anaerobic, you need more oxygen,' " Dr. Brooks said. "The scientists were stuck in 1920."
    Maybe my physiology is off, but type I fibers which are the main ones recruited for aerobic work use triglycerides as their main fuel source, and type IIa and IBB use primarily glycogen and creatine phosphate. Or am I thinking wrong and the glycogen is used for for more prolonged activity and fat as a fuel after that, or the fat used int he oxidation process?
  5. Registered User

I didn't know that the lactic acid was taken up bty the mitochondria and used directly for fuel. I did know that it was converted to glucose via the Cori Cycle but the other is news to me.

Thanks for the post.
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for life. Lao Tse 6th century BC
  6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by CDB
    Maybe my physiology is off, but type I fibers which are the main ones recruited for aerobic work use triglycerides as their main fuel source, and type IIa and IBB use primarily glycogen and creatine phosphate. Or am I thinking wrong and the glycogen is used for for more prolonged activity and fat as a fuel after that, or the fat used int he oxidation process?
    Elevated lactic acid decreases fat utilization.
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for life. Lao Tse 6th century BC
  7. CDB

Quote Originally Posted by jonny21
    Yup. Looked back into the books for a sec, I was just mixed up. For aerobic work glycogen is used and then fat once that's not available.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  252 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny21
    Bingo.

Nice article btw.
  9. New Member

I'll have to look back in my books, but i thought i remember reading that lactic acid was transfered from the muscle to the liver then turned back into glycogen and transfered back to the muscle. Or something like that.
  10. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Schwaugher
    I'll have to look back in my books, but i thought i remember reading that lactic acid was transfered from the muscle to the liver then turned back into glycogen and transfered back to the muscle. Or something like that.
    Yes, you refer to the Cori Cycle.
  11. New Member

This is a section taken word for word from Advanced Nutrition and Human Metabolism. Just posting it for anyone who wants to read it.

The Lactic Acid System
    This system involves the glycolytic pathway by which ATP is produced in skeletal muscle by the incomplete breakdown of glucose anaerobically into 2 mol of lactate. The source of glucose is primarily muscle glycogen and, to a lesser extent, circulating glucose, and the lactic acid system can generate ATP quickly for high-intensity exercise. The lactate system is not efficient from the standpoint of the quantity of ATP produced. However, because the process is so rapid, the small amound of ATP is produced quickly and absolutely by substrate-level phosphorylation of ADP. The lactate produced by this system quickly crosses the muscle cell membrane into the bloodstream, from which it can be cleared by other tissues (primarily the liver) for aerobic production of ATP or gluconeogenesis. In the event that the rate of production of lactate exeeds its clearance rate, blood lactic acid accumulates. This lowers the pH of the blood and is one cause of fatigue. Other factors of fatigue include a combination of lactate build-up and the lowering of pH. Under such circumstances, exercise cannot be continue for long periods. The lactic acid system is engaged to provide a rapid source of energy. When an inadequate supply of oxygen prevents the aerobic system from furnishing sufficient ATP to meet the demands of exercise, the lactic acid system will continue to function. Although the system is operative upon the onsset of strenuous exercise, it becomes the primary supplier of energy only after the depletion of CP stores in the muscle. As a back-up to the ATP-CP system, the lactic acid system becomes very important in high-intensity anaerobic power events lasting from 20 seconds to a few minutes.
  12. Banned

very nice.

Similar Forum Threads

1. lactic acid training for fat loss
    By gym88 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 04-01-2008, 10:17 AM
  2. anything for lactic acid?
    By Rugger in forum Supplements
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-02-2008, 02:34 PM
  3. Lactic acid question...