FDA Wants Ephedra Ban Restored

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
FDA Wants Ephedra Ban Restored
Feds Say Judge Misunderstood Law Relating To Weight-Loss Aid

DENVER, May 9, 2006
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(CBS/The Early Show)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(AP) A federal judge who lifted the ban on dietary supplements containing low doses of the weight-loss aid ephedra misunderstood the law, the Food and Drug Administration argued Monday in trying to restore the ban.

An attorney for a Utah company that successfully challenged the ban told a three-judge panel of the 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals that if the judge's decision is overturned, the FDA could ban virtually any substance on the market it determines is harmful in large doses, such as vitamin C tablets or peanut butter.

Ephedra, which was linked to dozens of deaths and thousands of reports of health problems such as heart attack or increased blood pressure, was banned two years ago. The agency determined the supplement presents an unreasonable risk of illness or injury at any dose.

Nutraceutical Corp. challenged the ban, and U.S. District Judge Tena Campbell in Salt Lake City ruled last year the ban could not be enforced against supplements containing doses of ephedra up to 10 milligrams.

Christine Kohl, who represented the FDA, told the judges that Campbell did not understand the law or the FDA's duties in regulating dietary supplements. She also said Campbell essentially ignored scientific information on ephedra's effects on the body.

Campbell ruled that the FDA improperly required Nutraceutical to prove there was some benefit to ephedra use. Instead, the judge ruled, the FDA should have had to prove harm.

Kohl said the risk-benefit analysis the agency used was proper because it would have been "irresponsible" to commission a clinical study to prove harm after the FDA began receiving reports of adverse effects.

The FDA based its ban in part on work by a doctor who studied the intake of various substances similar to ephedra rather than on use of ephedra itself. Kohl said because the substance is defined under the law as a dietary supplement rather than a drug, there was little or no scientific data available on its effectiveness or safety because manufacturers aren't required to conduct such studies.

Nutraceutical attorney Jonathan Emord argued that Campbell is correct in determining that the FDA should have studied the effects of various doses of ephedra and issued specific, dose-based regulations rather than a blanket ban.

"Unless you have proof it presents risk at a specific dose level, you can't just willy-nilly ban these things," he said. "This is an irrational scheme."

After the hearing, Emord said if the ban is restored, it would essentially give the FDA license to ban any product it believes can cause harm, even if the harm comes only at extremely high doses.

Emord said Nutraceutical, based in Park City, Utah, has not resumed selling low-dose ephedra supplements because there has been no reliable source available since the ban took effect.

The judges did not indicate when they would rule.

cable626

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
After the hearing, Emord said if the ban is restored, it would essentially give the FDA license to ban any product it believes can cause harm, even if the harm comes only at extremely high doses.
They should start with things that cause harm in recommended amounts. Hmmm the first things that come to my mind of products that can cause harm in non-excessive amount are fast food, cigarettes and alcohol.
Why do they pick and choose which substances they would like to regulate? If you're going to regulate Food and Drugs then do it with an unbiased POV or else don't do it at all.

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
Tobacco-related illnesses kill more Americans yearly, than everything else ( non-tobacco illnesses, accidents, murder, ect)...combined!

More people die each day from doctors misdiagnosises, than people who have died from taking ephedra cumitively to date!!!

Physician heal thy self...

MaynardMeek

Awards
  • Established
Actually.. There are more vending machine accident deths per year than any deths with supps. There has yet to be one true linked case where ephedra has killed someone.

I am not kidding about the vending machine deaths. People mess with them, they fall.. smoosh

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Basically it comes down to whos got the money and whos willing to line the pockets of politicians.

Truth be told IMHO the ban has helped supp. companies to bring forth some new and incredible supplements. used to be most companies that would bring out a cutting aid would just throw some ingredients together and as long as it had ephedra in it, it was good to go.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Actually.. There are more vending machine accident deths per year than any deths with supps. There has yet to be one true linked case where ephedra has killed someone.

I am not kidding about the vending machine deaths. People mess with them, they fall.. smoosh
LOL, yep. People "rock" them back and forth to try and get the candy to fall and then the whole machine falls on them. The Darwin Awards usually list some of these.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
And yet, 7UP can plaster the airwaves with their new '100% natural' soft drink that contains high fructose cornsyrup. I think that **** is responsible for more health problems in American than all nutritional supplements combined.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I remember a couple months before the 2004 ban, I had read that about 80 people had died from ephedra based weight-loss products.

More people died in that time period from obesity-related complications, and I'm willing to bet a decent percentage of those 80 were obese.

MaynardMeek

Awards
  • Established
that number is even wrong.. they found that 0 of those 80 people died from the ephedra. they died due to a number of things ranging from alochol poisoning, heat stroke, etc.

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
try being allergic to corn, when I was 7 I was allergic to corn, it's in everything...corn syrup, corn this, corn that...just look at a can of coke...one of the top ingredients...anyways...thank GOD I grew out of it, that was harsh cause it seemed like corn was in everything except water...
I removed corn-based products from my diet about 5 years ago. The decision was based on data I hade read on MERCOLA.com. Mercola is a strick anti grain proponent. There are many good studies there about grain, specifically corn and the contamination by mold spores and the resultant health problems.
My personal experience has been great my LBM and weight have completely stablizied. I only fluctuate about 5 lbs without any additional dieting. When I do calorie restriction, I see immediate results. Its the popcorn at the movies I miss the most.
I am facinated how prevelent corn is in the American diet. Mostly in the form of high fructose corn syrup and its derivatives. Corn free for the millenium, thats me!

Sir Foxx

Sir Foxx

Awards
  • Established
try being allergic to corn, when I was 7 I was allergic to corn, it's in everything...corn syrup, corn this, corn that...just look at a can of coke...one of the top ingredients...anyways...thank GOD I grew out of it, that was harsh cause it seemed like corn was in everything except water...

Blame the sugar cartel for this. They've kept the prices of sugar artificially high in the U.S. for sometime now and yet no anti-trust suits have been brought against them.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
At my house, we've removed anything and everything containing HighFructoseCornSyrup from our diets. The immediate results for my girl was a sudden drop in bodyfat. That stuff is the devil. Its all because Americans are conditioned to have a such a sweet tooth too...I cant even finish a can of soda anymore, it just makes me feel so nasty. Every once in a while I have one of those organic soft drinks from the health food store that uses real sugar - it tasts SO much better.

BV

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
Is this the same group of Fucking Dumb Ass's that let thousands of people die from Viox and what not, but wont let my doctor write me a scrip for GH/test for anti-aging?

asap nutrition

Awards
  • Established
Is this the same group of Fucking Dumb Ass's that let thousands of people die from Viox and what not, but wont let my doctor write me a scrip for GH/test for anti-aging?
Yeah that is why * and others provide the slack.

danTman2

Awards
  • Established
Ephedrine isnt even THAT good anyway.....there is better E free supps right now, IMO.

VitaminT

Awards
And yet, 7UP can plaster the airwaves with their new '100% natural' soft drink that contains high fructose cornsyrup. I think that **** is responsible for more health problems in American than all nutritional supplements combined.
I agree with that. Real d*** move for 7UP. Then again, their last campaign was make 7UP YOURS. Their crack advertising team is really busting out winners.

Magickk

Magickk

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Ephedrine isnt even THAT good anyway.....there is better E free supps right now, IMO.
Care to elaborate? I can't find anything to even come close to E... All the best drugs start w/ the letter "E" :)

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
thiamine trisulfide/disulfide, chocamine, rhodiola can be quite effective. I'd rather take USP Labs C2, ALRI Venom, or Anabolic Extreme Stiumlant-X as a pre-workout stim than any supplement containing ephedrine,although stacking them with ephedrine enhances the overall effect.

BV

Apowerz6

Apowerz6

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
BV you are saying stack Vh3.0 with Eph? WOW i cannot think the effect, I think I would evaporate, and shrivel up, and never eat again.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
BV you are saying stack Vh3.0 with Eph? WOW i cannot think the effect, I think I would evaporate, and shrivel up, and never eat again.
Im not saying to go ahead and do it, only that it can be done:) I dont dose ephedrine higher than ~6mg 2x per day, and Ive only used 1-2 caps of Venom or Stimulant-X...so it felt like a really bright, smooth stimulation.

I can easliy see someone who is dose-happy with stims getting into trouble though!

BV

mywetnightmares

Kyra Gracie= my future wife
Awards
  • Established
thiamine trisulfide/disulfide, chocamine, rhodiola can be quite effective. I'd rather take USP Labs C2, ALRI Venom, or Anabolic Extreme Stiumlant-X as a pre-workout stim than any supplement containing ephedrine,although stacking them with ephedrine enhances the overall effect.

BV
I've never used C2, but I find ECY works better pre-workout, at least in regards to cardio than stim-x.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
C2 + E would be your basic EC stack plus forslean, green tea and a few nootropics thrown in for good measure. Its a good stack.:thumbsup:

Apowerz6

Apowerz6

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
ohh 6mgs is quite low for eph as I used to 25 mgs 3-4 times daily. But I'll take your word for it BV. Venom is still strong, and appetite crushing.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Yeah Im a big sissy when it comes to stimulats:) I tried to bump the ephedrine to 11mg/day and it was way too much.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
One gram of chocamine gets me going. A gram of chocamine and 200mg of caffeine and I'm cracked out like a heroin addict. Either you've got some tolerance, or you're tripping balls when you work out.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
you're tripping balls when you work out.
You arent kidding. One time I took 3 of USP's 'new' C2 (not released yet - but jacked up on Chocamine and Rhodiola) with a small dose of ephedrine and saw 3d-patterning on the carpet. Seriously. Has to be something to do with the dopamine release from the epedrine and whatever the nootropics do to brain chemistry.
After a short period of feeling 'perceptively enhanced' I felt quite focused and amped up for the next 3-4 hours.

BV

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
You arent kidding. One time I took 3 of USP's 'new' C2 (not released yet - but jacked up on Chocamine and Rhodiola) with a small dose of ephedrine and saw 3d-patterning on the carpet. Seriously. Has to be something to do with the dopamine release from the epedrine and whatever the nootropics do to brain chemistry.
After a short period of feeling 'perceptively enhanced' I felt quite focused and amped up for the next 3-4 hours.

BV
So, Chocomine+ Rhodiola + Ephedrine = Fractal generating visuals? Thanks, now I have something to do this summer!

danTman2

Awards
  • Established
Care to elaborate? I can't find anything to even come close to E... All the best drugs start w/ the letter "E" :)
well like i said....IMO.

but i really never found E to be all its cracked up to be.

And no it wasnt my diet or training ( those 2 are PERFECT) and i have had much better results with others. For example...Thermorexin, it worked much better for me than any ephedrine product ever has, I guess im going to have to give it another shot though.

all 'drugs' aside,lol.