The Expanding Pill

NiteHawk

Awards
I was reading this and I thought this was interesting. This article was in a magazine a few months ago but I thought some of you might have missed it so I thought I would post it up. This could be the next king of delivery systems when it comes to oral supplements.

It started by Depomed, a pharmaceutical/biotechnology company from Menlo Park, California, along with an Israeli competitor, Intec Pharma. They have developed a technology where a medicine or supplement is delivered to the stomach instead of being quickly digested into the small intestine. It stays in the stomach for 12 hours.

This "expanding pill" causes gastric retention and a higher amount of product to be delivered to the body. Its slowly absorbed into the intestinal tract.
This technology is already FDA approved because the active agent is polyethylene oxide, which is already used in ice cream, toothpaste, and other products that need "fluffing". This will make poorly absorbed medicine or supplements much more effective than ever before.

I feel supplement companies should take advantage of this now. Can you imagine how much more of a supplement you will be able to absorb ?