Patrick Arnold to the news on BALCO.....

doggzj

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
hmmmm, wasn't THG legal when this all went down?

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
hmmmm, wasn't THG legal when this all went down?
Probably depends on who looks at the law and decides at any given moment. There's the definitive list but also language meant to include substances they haven't thought of yet. I think the rewording on the new ban also took out some verbiage to broaden the scope of the law.

Definitely a good question though. But to the article:

The indictment against Arnold alleged he trafficked in performance-enhancing drugs that were designed to avoid detection by sporting leagues, including the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency, Major League Baseball and the National Football League.
The sad part is no one is going to bother to ask "Is this illegal?" The really sad part is if it is, few if any will ask "Why is it illegal?" But rest assured, we'll all be safer if Patrick Arnold is in jail, right next to that dangerous ***** Martha Stewart if she violates her house arrest no doubt.

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
This article states he is pleading guilty. It fails to indicate to what charge he is pleading guilty. The guilty plea could be irrelevent to any known substance or even sports in general. It could be a zoning violation! ESPN are such lackeys. This is another "leaked" story WTF?

Do you think he will be making designer roids in the joint? I bet the wardens are lining up to get him, so he can enhance their softball teams!

bigblank69

Board Supporter
Awards
Re: Patrick Arnold to the news on

I don't think THG would be the item they are going after PA for. More then likely it was Norbethelone (SP?) since it was not legal at the time, and was the original clear according to GAME OF SHADOWS

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
This article states he is pleading guilty. It fails to indicate to what charge he is pleading guilty. The guilty plea could be irrelevent to any known substance or even sports in general. It could be a zoning violation! ESPN are such lackeys. This is another "leaked" story WTF?

Do you think he will be making designer roids in the joint? I bet the wardens are lining up to get him, so he can enhance their softball teams!
HERE'S ONE WITH MORE DETAIL:

April 27, 2006
Doping - Chemist Said Set to Plead Guilty in BALCO Case
By REUTERS

Filed at 9:56 p.m. ET

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - A chemist accused of supplying steroids to the BALCO lab at the center of a global sports steroid scandal is poised to enter a guilty plea on Friday, according to a court calendar and an official who did not want to be named.

Federal prosecutors charged Patrick Arnold, an Illinois resident, in November with supplying BALCO with THG, a steroid that sports testing initially could not detect.

The BALCO scandal has damaged the reputations of top athletes in track and field as well as American baseball and football, and led to prison sentences for the company's owner, Victor Conte, and for Greg Anderson, baseball slugger Barry Bonds' personal trainer.

Arnold pleaded not guilty to all three criminal counts against him in November, but a calendar item for Judge Susan Illston's federal courtroom on Friday says a ``Change of Plea/Trial Setting'' is planned in the case.

``We're expecting him to plead guilty tomorrow,'' said an official familiar with the case.

The sentence under the plea bargain was expected to be short, as the indictment came before steroid punishments were recently increased, the official said.

According to the indictment, Arnold synthesized THG from gestrinone, a steroid for which he paid thousands of dollars to people in China. The chemist is alleged to have then sent the refashioned substance to the California-based BALCO.

Among the three charges against Arnold are conspiracy to distribute steroids with Conte, as well as the introduction and delivery of THG.

Arnold's case is not the only one still pending related to the BALCO probe.

Seven time Major League Baseball Most Valuable Player Bonds, who told the grand jury he never knowingly used steroids according to his lawyer, is now under grand jury investigation for possible perjury. The legal scrutiny comes as he is just three home runs behind Babe Ruth for second place on the all-time U.S. home run list.

The San Francisco Chronicle reported this week that Bonds' physician, Arthur Ting, and Giants trainer Stan Conte -- who is not related to Victor Conte -- were expected to appear on Thursday before a grand jury looking into the matter behind closed doors.

Reporters at the federal courthouse throughout the day did not see either of the two men.

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
HERE'S ONE WITH MORE DETAIL:

April 27, 2006
Doping - Chemist Said Set to Plead Guilty in BALCO Case
By REUTERS

Filed at 9:56 p.m. ET

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - A chemist accused of supplying steroids to the BALCO lab at the center of a global sports steroid scandal is poised to enter a guilty plea on Friday, according to a court calendar and an official who did not want to be named.

Federal prosecutors charged Patrick Arnold, an Illinois resident, in November with supplying BALCO with THG, a steroid that sports testing initially could not detect.

The BALCO scandal has damaged the reputations of top athletes in track and field as well as American baseball and football, and led to prison sentences for the company's owner, Victor Conte, and for Greg Anderson, baseball slugger Barry Bonds' personal trainer.

Arnold pleaded not guilty to all three criminal counts against him in November, but a calendar item for Judge Susan Illston's federal courtroom on Friday says a ``Change of Plea/Trial Setting'' is planned in the case.

``We're expecting him to plead guilty tomorrow,'' said an official familiar with the case.

The sentence under the plea bargain was expected to be short, as the indictment came before steroid punishments were recently increased, the official said.

According to the indictment, Arnold synthesized THG from gestrinone, a steroid for which he paid thousands of dollars to people in China. The chemist is alleged to have then sent the refashioned substance to the California-based BALCO.

Among the three charges against Arnold are conspiracy to distribute steroids with Conte, as well as the introduction and delivery of THG.

Arnold's case is not the only one still pending related to the BALCO probe.

Seven time Major League Baseball Most Valuable Player Bonds, who told the grand jury he never knowingly used steroids according to his lawyer, is now under grand jury investigation for possible perjury. The legal scrutiny comes as he is just three home runs behind Babe Ruth for second place on the all-time U.S. home run list.

The San Francisco Chronicle reported this week that Bonds' physician, Arthur Ting, and Giants trainer Stan Conte -- who is not related to Victor Conte -- were expected to appear on Thursday before a grand jury looking into the matter behind closed doors.

Reporters at the federal courthouse throughout the day did not see either of the two men.
Thanks for the new posting. The way this reads is that Arnold is being charged with altering an illegal substance to make it undetectable. Technically, the alteration created a new, not yet listed and there by legal to posses, substance. They could be charging him with the "intent" to wilfully disrupt the "enforcement of the law". This smacks of plea bargin all the way. Any decent lawyer could have this reduced to leinency, because he fully cooperated with the court. This is almost free advertizing for ergopharm!

Now from the makers of Barry Bonds-
The ultimate inhancer!-39.99 pre sale!

Hopefully this case will satisfy all the "nervous nellys" and we can move on with our supplement enhanced lives!

PastorofMuppets

Awards
I remember seeing both Patrick Arnold and Michael Leahy (MetRx) speak in Sacramento.

These were the days when andro was just beginning to get big.

Arnold came off as a decent guy, not an *******, but confident.

Leahy was the standard doctor jargon spewer that he always is.

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
I believe one of the charges was something along the lines of "distributing an unapproved drug."

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I believe one of the charges was something along the lines of "distributing an unapproved drug."
The thing people forget is, when it comes to unapproved drugs, possession is legal but distribution is not.

However, had he distributed it as a prohormone and used language to describe it as a naturally occurring substance and in the food supply, and thus nutritional supplement, then it would have been legal.

The thing is, he only bothered doing that for stuff he intended to sell on the open market. The really potent stuff he wanted kept secret so that WADA and other orgs wouldn't be aware of it and thus not develop a test for it.

raider1

raider1

Awards
This s--t is a political witchhunt to do something for the public.. All the resources the goverment is wasting on this crap is insane... Let's see gas prices going higher everyday, possible nuclear war with Iran .. meth labs on every street corner almost ..a racially divided nation that is more and more evident.. did I leave anything out.. and they worry about this friggin stuff ... ok ,that's it for my daily rant ..
:rant: :rant: :rant: :frustrate :frustrate :drunk:

meowmeow

Awards
  • Established
t.. did I leave anything out.. and they worry about this friggin stuff ... ok ,that's it for my daily rant ..
The fact that 99% of Americans are poorer now than they were 30 years ago.

jomi822

jomi822

Banned
Awards
  • Established
This s--t is a political witchhunt to do something for the public.. All the resources the goverment is wasting on this crap is insane... Let's see gas prices going higher everyday, possible nuclear war with Iran .. meth labs on every street corner almost ..a racially divided nation that is more and more evident.. did I leave anything out.. and they worry about this friggin stuff ... ok ,that's it for my daily rant ..
you forgot the almighty tax on healthclub membership in new jersey that is about to be passed despite the fact that obesity is a national epidemic. by all means tax our healthy lifestyle

Sooty

Banned
Awards
ya are you serious? Why are they banning stupid **** called "clear" when i know kids who make meth in their kitchen... I mean seriously! Stop spending money on bull**** scandals, set up some more beneficial anti-drug programs (real drugs, that KILL people), and maybe drop the gas tax? Stupid people in their black suits, and gucci ties.

Whats up with this country... i mean seriously, the drug problem is so bad, i wouldnt even know where to start about roids, but i can literally walk across the street and get a ****ing dime bag aite.. this country is going to ****!

doi.. let that one slip.

The Experiment

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Brilliant. By banning such garbage as THG, the world can be much better. I already see the sun shining already. Air smells better, the women look prettier, praise government! If you like THG, you hate the flag, Jesus, and last but not least, apple pie.

Thanks for your efficiency folks. That and the War on Terror. Hampering civil rights was a brilliant move and besides, Jesus would have done it.

Sooty

Banned
Awards
be a rebel. take thg, buy superdrol, make a superdrol t-shirt. refuse to pay gas tax, and siphon it from neighbors cars at night.

whats your anti-government?

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
you forgot the almighty tax on healthclub membership in new jersey that is about to be passed despite the fact that obesity is a national epidemic. by all means tax our healthy lifestyle
:toofunny:

The government has now entered Monty Python territory in Jersey. Soon Corzine will be doing the Parrot Sketch in his speeches. I can't wait.

myfathersboy

Awards
  • Established
Brilliant. By banning such garbage as THG, the world can be much better. I already see the sun shining already. Air smells better, the women look prettier, praise government! If you like THG, you hate the flag, Jesus, and last but not least, apple pie.

Thanks for your efficiency folks. That and the War on Terror. Hampering civil rights was a brilliant move and besides, Jesus would have done it.

Best Post Ever ^^^^^^^

SubliminalX

SubliminalX

Awards
  • Established
And PA seemed so confident that they couldn't nail him for anything.

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
And PA seemed so confident that they couldn't nail him for anything.
I would love to read the actual court transcript, as opposed to the media spin. The actual sentence will be an interesting precident.

This has become a nation of jailers

Sooty

Banned
Awards
I dont see the why the government would ban things like THG(not sure exactly what it is), anabolic and androgenic steroids.

There is a ridicuously large market for them, they really arent the cause of thousands of deaths each year like cigarettes, or cause drunk driving incidents.

Wouldnt the government stand to profit from this iff they are legalized and taxed?

just wondering.

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I dont see the why the government would ban things like THG(not sure exactly what it is), anabolic and androgenic steroids.

There is a ridicuously large market for them, they really arent the cause of thousands of deaths each year like cigarettes, or cause drunk driving incidents.

Wouldnt the government stand to profit from this iff they are legalized and taxed?

just wondering.
They intially scheduled steroids because of the sports industry.

You see, by making them illegal, it led people to believe that professional athletes couldn't or wouldn't obtain and/or use them. Remember, to most people's minds, illegal = you can't get it.

In order to get public support for it though, they ran a media spin campaign to demonize them. The thing is, even now that the public is starting to realise that a large number of professional athletes use them despite their legal status, the media compaign to demonize them has been so successful that it would be impossible to legalize them now. You see, whereas before the reason to ban them was just to make people think athletes were clean, now everyone thinks steroids cause roid rage, suicide, brain tumors, and a host of other ridiculous things. So now it would be impossible to get public support for legalization without a MASSIVE reverse media campaign.

The Experiment

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Not to mention that any person who has a muscle gets grilled if they're taking gear or not.

Patrick is just a symbol. Its 2006 and Republicans are in low favor and Democrats are a wild card. So right now, few members of Congress are really safe besides the ones who were elected to the Senate in 2004. To make sure that they get some more support, they turn all their attention towards making sure this animal :rofl: gets what he deserves.

I wouldn't doubt he gets a big sentence as an "example." If he gets off loose, by the public's standards, then the people will have a fit and claim that the government loves steroids. Then the government fights gear even harder to prove that they're not in bed with steroid users.

As it gets closer to November, election time, I expect to see more and more of these brilliant bipartisan movements to fight the war on steroids.

SubliminalX

SubliminalX

Awards
  • Established
I would love to read the actual court transcript, as opposed to the media spin. The actual sentence will be an interesting precident.
His own posts on various forums shortly before and after the raid on his company/home and even after indictment.

He's basically said things like, "they're not going to find what they're looking for.... the way the laws are written, the feds don't have a case... etc."

SubliminalX

SubliminalX

Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't doubt he gets a big sentence as an "example." If he gets off loose, by the public's standards, then the people will have a fit and claim that the government loves steroids. Then the government fights gear even harder to prove that they're not in bed with steroid users.
Government can only work within the framework of existing law. If they don't, they risk losing the whole case. Knowing PA, he is plea bargaining down to a "slap on the wrist" type punishment, and the government knows that it probably won't get much more if they don't accept it.

Notice the story says, "The source spoke on condition of anonymity Thursday because the proposed plea deal was confidential." That's because PA probably won't spend a day behind bars, and that's an embarrassment to the government.

akp2004

Awards
I dont care who takes leadership on this one - either Repubs or Dems have to say, "the so called steroid scandal is a distraction' and is 'irrelevant' compared to conditions brewing in energy markets, housing markets, and foreign policy.

There's a perfect storm possible, with these three drivers.

Can someone make a "Free PA" shirt?

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Well, both parties are now Politiczing gas prices.
So, I'm not surprised that they are doing the same thing with PA.

This country is run by morons.

The Experiment

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Government can only work within the framework of existing law. If they don't, they risk losing the whole case. Knowing PA, he is plea bargaining down to a "slap on the wrist" type punishment, and the government knows that it probably won't get much more if they don't accept it.

Notice the story says, "The source spoke on condition of anonymity Thursday because the proposed plea deal was confidential." That's because PA probably won't spend a day behind bars, and that's an embarrassment to the government.
Yeah, that my point. People will see Patrick get off easily and people will demand justice for these evils of society. So in a rush to get more support in October, they pass a law that makes sure future Patrick Arnolds get prison time.

SubliminalX

SubliminalX

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, that my point. People will see Patrick get off easily and people will demand justice for these evils of society. So in a rush to get more support in October, they pass a law that makes sure future Patrick Arnolds get prison time.
Roids isn't a major issue for the average voter. It never will be. Right now, it's all about national security and energy prices. The average Joe doesn't know who PA is, nor do they care.

BioHazzard

Banned
Awards
  • Established
...and neither do the congressmen nor the Senators know who the heck PA is or what it is all about.

Some people are just overhyping this steroid issue. ....as if any politician or the majority of the population really care... :rolleyes:

Just because an issue is your pet peeve, does not mean anyone else gives a ****.

SubliminalX

SubliminalX

Awards
  • Established
Anyone have any updates on this? I heard PA plead guilty to something and is awaiting sentencing. :aargh:

bearmeat

Awards
  • Established
Anyone have any updates on this? I heard PA plead guilty to something and is awaiting sentencing. :aargh:
That is correct, he pleaded gluity and is awaiting sentencing, but he may be in more trouble due to new findings that AMP contains amphetamines: Chemist's New Product Contains Hidden Substance

I think there is another thread going on about AMP containing amphetamines on AM but someone posted this on another forum.