Poll: Fans want more done about steroids

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Poll: Fans want more done about steroids
By WILL LESTER
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON — More than half of America's baseball fans say the sport has not done enough to curb the use of steroids and other performance-enhancing drugs, an AP-AOL Sports poll found.

And two-thirds of baseball fans either have unfavorable or mixed views about Barry Bonds, who is under a cloud of suspicion about steroids use as he chases baseball's career record for home runs.

The San Francisco Giants' slugger, who had 709 home runs after Sunday's game, is closing in on the career home run records of Babe Ruth, who hit 714, and Henry Aaron, who hit 755.

Bonds has denied in sworn testimony ever using steroids, although he acknowledged using two substances that he did not know were steroids. Prosecutors say those substances were steroids. Major League Baseball is also investigating Bonds' possible involvement with performance-enhancing drugs.

The poll found that 53 percent say Major League Baseball has fallen short on keeping the sport drug-free.

Many fans say Bonds should not be allowed into baseball's Hall of Fame if he's found to have used steroids. But the timing of any alleged use appears to be crucial in public support for Bonds getting into the Hall.

Half the fans in the poll were asked if Bonds should be allowed into the Hall of Fame if he is found to have used steroids or other performance-enhancing drugs, and 61 percent said no. But the other half of the sample was asked if Bonds should be allowed in the Hall if he was found to have used such drugs only before baseball enacted rules against those drugs in 2002; 57 percent said yes.

The first rules against steroids agreed to by management and the union went into effect in September 2002. Testing began in spring training 2003, but penalties for failed tests weren't in place until 2004.

Last fall, major league players and owners agreed to toughen penalties for steroid use to a 50-game suspension for a first failed test, 100 games for a second and a lifetime ban for a third.

The AP-AOL Sports poll of 793 baseball fans was conducted April 10-12 and April 18-20 and has a margin of sampling error of plus or minus 3.5 percentage points.

brandozzz

Awards
JEEEZ this has GOT to stop ....................ridiculus !

meowmeow

Awards
  • Established
Yet these are the same fans that stuff their faces with 4 hot dogs 8 beers, and throw the empty beer cups at players when they don't produce any home runs.. I hate hipocrasy...
I couldn't of said it better myself.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Roids or no roids Bonds was already the FIRST member of the 400/400 club before the claims of steroids came in. And IMHO he would have still made the huge achievement of becoming the one and only member of the 500/500 club regardless of any questionable supplementation. Come on...500 HRs & 500 Steals. That's crazy!!! I don't know why these stats are never brought up?

I have been following Bonds since he played with VanSlyke and DonSlaught and Bonilla. I grew up thinking this man was going to die the greatest baseball player ever and claimed it way before the controversary. What about batting over .290 all but once in ten consecutive seasons (pre-supposed steroid use too) What about all of his gold gloves? Cheater or not...he still achieved a lot before that infamous season.

This has become a frenzy because Bonds is not a Media friendly person and really never has been and that's blowing up in his face. What about Sosa and the corked bat? Everybody loves him so we'll just leave him alone. What about McGuire? He's guilty as hell too...None of that matters because the media loves those two guys. THE MEDIA LOVES TO HATE BONDS!!!...and he did that to himself.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
This has become a frenzy because Bonds is not a Media friendly person and really never has been and that's blowing up in his face. What about Sosa and the corked bat? Everybody loves him so we'll just leave him alone. What about McGuire? He's guilty as hell too...None of that matters because the media loves those two guys. THE MEDIA LOVES TO HATE BONDS!!!...and he did that to himself.
I love the player too, but sometimes you just get sick of the man...we (the masses) believe what the media tells us, simple as that.

Nice stats though...they do talk about bonds accomplishments every now and again, which is a nice change of pace from this tired cycle we're on...

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
There all a bunch of wonna-b haters.

You guys see the article in MD a few months back where it stated more people watched a re-run of desperate house wives then the final game of the WS?