mad cow in alabama

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
It was only a matter of time before they found the next one.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
That sucks. Beef prices will get hit hard if they have to cull herds. Add to that when Avian Flu hits the US they will cull millions of chickens.

What are BBer's gonna have left to eat?

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
Soylent green

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
American soylent green would have too much fat for our purposes.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
"This soilent green tastes like a combination of Cheetohs and McDonald's."

not_big_enuf

not_big_enuf

Awards
  • Established
Each other.

That sucks. Beef prices will get hit hard if they have to cull herds. Add to that when Avian Flu hits the US they will cull millions of chickens.

What are BBer's gonna have left to eat?

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
but you can strain out the fat... ;)
And use it to make some really good soap.

There's a process called thermal depolymerization, and I think it actually removes all disease vectors including mad cow through its processing. It literally digests everything from organic waste such as chicken guts to old computers and spits out minerals and a sweet crude oil. Interesting process.

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
true but the problem with mad cow is that they are NOT completely sure what exactly causes it. The good bet is prions which are protein strands but how they do it is still a mystery.
CDB, I guess you got the latest issue of Discovery also ;)

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
When farmers stop feeding cows ground up cow bones and fillers.
It is actually the damn feed companies that make the damn feed that need to stop this practice and supposly they have stopped using "downers" for this but personally, I think they should stop period

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
I'll go to my local natural food store and open up shop on the resident granola eaters. Lean meat and fiber--- what a bargin!!!!!!!!!!!

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
When farmers stop feeding cows ground up cow bones and fillers.
Doesn't the American Government have policy and scheduled checked in place to try and prevent this practice?

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
I believe the ACT was passed in 1997, but the cows were thought to be 10 years old. This is what I beleive they are investigating right now. SO they may have been exposed pre-ban therefore the ban works, or we're all eating more tuna this year.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
true but the problem with mad cow is that they are NOT completely sure what exactly causes it. The good bet is prions which are protein strands but how they do it is still a mystery.
CDB, I guess you got the latest issue of Discovery also ;)
Nah, read about that one a while ago, in Scientific American I think. But, now that you mentioned it I think I'll pick up that issue. Anything new or is it just another overview of the process? I remember there was pilot plant somwhere near Chicago if I'm not mistaken, and their main thing was going to be processing chicken guts from a nearby slaughter house.

The Experiment

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Maybe if farmers stopped feeding recycled animals to cattle, we wouldn't have this problem.

The scary thing about BSE is that its suggested that some strains won't show up until 20-30 years. So for all we know, we're all infected with the prions that cause BSE. I've long since stopped eating hamburger from the major meatpackers, where its legal to allow you to feed brains of dead animals and you can have **** in the meat.

Last edited:

bubonic1

Awards
All my friends have been giving me crap about living in alabama. So far that was the only cow. They just got done digging up the corpse and have started doing test to see how old the cow was. Trying to make sure it was born before 1997