Face Transplant

Mrs. Gimpy!

Mrs. Gimpy!

Awards
  • Established
Isabelle Dinoire

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Partial face transplant

The world's first partial face transplant on a living human was carried out on Dinoire on November 27, 2005 [1] by a team of surgeons led by Professor Jean-Michel Dubernard (the surgeon who performed the first successful hand transplant in 1998) and Professor Bernard Devauchelle in Amiens, France. A triangle of face tissue from a brain-dead human's nose and mouth was grafted onto the patient [2] [3]. "Scientists elsewhere have performed scalp and ear transplants. However, the claim is the first for a mouth and nose transplant. Experts say the mouth and nose are the most difficult parts of the face to transplant." [4]
A debate over the ethics of the operation emerged, however, after it was alleged that Dinoire had her face ravaged by her labrador while she was asleep after attempting suicide by consuming an excessive amount of sleeping pills, and that her donor, Maryline St. Aubert, had committed suicide by hanging. Concern was raised over Dinoire's ability to consent to the transplant, considering her mental state. Dubernard strenuously denied that Dinoire had attempted suicide, while Devauchelle insisted he would not have conducted the transplant if he knew St. Aubert had hanged herself, as he feared the blood vessels in her face would be damaged. [5]
Whether the challenging surgery will be proven successful, is yet to be seen. It was reported on January 18, 2006 that Dinoire has used her new lips to take up smoking, which doctors fear will botch her transplant by rejecting the face tissue. [6]
There has been a change in her appearance. Her original face had a wide, tilted nose, a prominent chin and thin lips. The donated face has given her a straight and narrow nose, a neater chin and a fuller mouth.

Mrs. Gimpy!

Mrs. Gimpy!

Awards
  • Established
A team of 50 doctors gave Isabelle the chin, mouth, and lips of suicide victim Maryline Saint Aubert.
maybe its me...but i think thats a bit eery....wake up with a suicide victims face:blink: .

besides that little tidbit...amazing.

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
This is pretty wild. The first time I heard of this, I wasn't sure what to think. Then I saw a show on discovery channel(I think) and heard a potential recipients view on it. If it can help people with severe disfigurements I'm all for it. Still I can't help thinking about that movie "Face-Off" with Travolta and Cage.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, it is freaky - but thinking of the potential for helping people with severe disfigurements Im all for it.

Mrs. Gimpy!

Mrs. Gimpy!

Awards
  • Established
me too...but suicide victims on my face....i would need some therapy....

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
me too...but suicide victims on my face....i would need some therapy....
Judging by your avatar, they could slap a horses face on you and I don't think too many people would notice:D

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Wow, the lines on her face will heal damn well...nice cuts considering the butchering they had to do.... Pretty incredible...I love mad-science type stuff :D :rofl:

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Judging by your avatar, they could slap a horses face on you and I don't think too many people would notice:D
That's false advertisement...and this is coming from her fiance!

Gimpy doesn't look like that...her boobs aren't that big :lol: But, they're really nice...and she does have a 23" waist with (disgusting after seeing the foods she eats versus what I'm eating for a fatass 35" waist </rant>)

I'll try to take a good picture of her so you can see the hip to waist ratio, its insane...i'm jealous...(sort of...lol)

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I just heard that the face transplant recipient has now almost fully recovered and has taken up smoking again!

You just got a a zillion dollar second chance at having a face and you go and do that? Like wow.

Mrs. Gimpy!

Mrs. Gimpy!

Awards
  • Established
I just heard that the face transplant recipient has now almost fully recovered and has taken up smoking again!

You just got a a zillion dollar second chance at having a face and you go and do that? Like wow.
ungrateful if you ask me...then again, im not into alcohol, drugs, cigs, etc.....