Student Steroid testing in NJ

MaynardMeek

Awards
  • Established
i am.. with my taxes :woohoo:

or maybe the cost will be cut by the new 10.5 cents a gal gas tax hike that corzine is going to have take hold

revodrew

revodrew

Awards
  • Established
I think it is bull ****. You cant start at the bottem and work you way up. Start with the people who are the idols and heroes of these teens. Plus there are more students who use coke or oxycotten(sp?) then juice. I used to sniff lines with my whole wrestling team right before a match. Alot more effective then juice for on command performance gains. My nose would be bleeding, tooth knocked out and I didnt give a **** till way after the match was over. Stupid, but I was young. Juice should be on the bottem of the schools list, how about guns, knives or the poor kids who dont have enough money for lunch cause there parents are crack whores. Priorities are all fucked up here. New jersey is a nice place to live(south jersey anyways) but the higher ups here are some stupid mother fuckers.

Vipersg123

Vipersg123

Awards
  • Established
I can bet these kids saying they used steroids thought creatine was a steroid.

cable626

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I can bet these kids saying they used steroids thought creatine was a steroid.
Thats one thing, if they took steroids they should make them name what they took. I can give an 8th grader candy and tell him its steroids and he'd believe me, does that mean he took steroids? NO!

Next thing is that AAS isn't EVIL, but we're not going to get that through anyone's head right now. I guess they're going to teach the kids "okay kids, steroids are this and steroids are that, but there is NO scientific proof at all about anything I just told you. OH and by the way nobody ever died from steroids either!"

Last thing is that this is going to bring the ideas of steroids to young kids, much like the DARE program taught kids about drugs. You're going to have more kids using steroids as a result of this initiative. way to go NJ.

wastedwhiteboy2

wastedwhiteboy2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I guess I see those percentages as a pretty low #.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
I guess I see those percentages as a pretty low #.
That's something that wouldn't cross the minds of people who are behind this antisteroid push in NJ. In their minds roids are pure evil, therefore any percentage of kids using is unacceptable. The fact that the numbers are low and likely from self reporting surveys which would not be reliable in determining exactly what they used, if they did in fact use it and for what purpose, etc., doesn't matter to these people.

Something I would be in favor of is a mass random drug test of kids in high schools to see how many actually have detectable levels in their system. Do that a couple of times in random locations and get some numbers together. Civil liberties aside for the moment, it would be an interesting set of data to see.

brogers

Awards
  • Established
"While it may not be a public health epidemic, it is a public problem,"

The real public problem is the wasting of tax dollars on ridiculous programs like this and the stigmatization of steroids.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
BTW didn't the part about "random testing of supplements to see if they are contaminated with steroids" bother you more?
You know what lies at the end of that path...:aargh:
Oh yeah. Big time. Just what we need is some schmuck 18 year old taking Pheraplex, knowing damn well what it is, and then when he gets caught claiming he thought it was M&Ms. Or that the massive levels of steroids in his body were caused by trace contamination from machines that were used to make roids and then his daily multi. As if his blood levels could get that high from such a contamination.

Back to the testing of the kids though, my point with the drug tests with them wasn't really about protecting them. I just think it'd be interesting to see how these numbers stack up against the percentages of kids who get caught being 'on' over time.

wastedwhiteboy2

wastedwhiteboy2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
The gov. said on the news this morning that the testing was going to cost $50,000 of the tax payers money. Like cdb says they probably wont catch but one per year in the whole state.

wastedwhiteboy2

wastedwhiteboy2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
why pick on athletic guys? what about the pot heads or the drunks? other drugs are being abused in high school at a higher percentage.

jomi822

jomi822

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I live in NJ and the legislation in this state is a little ridiculous, they are thinking about banning smoking while driving, lets be serious people. anyway...

http://ncadi.samhsa.gov/govpubs/phd726/

"What can you do to help someone who is abusing steroids? Be a real friend. Save a life. Encourage your friend to stop or seek professional help. For information and referrals, call the National Clearinghouse for Alcohol and Drug Information at 800-729-6686."

Save a life? the lying concerning AAS is getting out of control. I got that link from the website of my local public highschool, which has 3 steroid abuse related links including one that explains the governors task force. The war on every other drug has failed they might as well take a swing at steroids.

Pioneer

Pioneer

Awards
  • Established
Why is that?
-too many laws
-too many people
-high taxes
-horrible politicians
-too many cops
-worse car insurance prices ive ever seen in my life
-horrible drivers
ect
ect
ect

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
i hate NJ
I hate hate. Don't hate the player hate the game. This is another slam dunk political power grabbing move. I mean who is going to take the alternative side? Yes vote for me and I will guarentee that your children will have the best steroids that their tax subsidized money can buy. Not only will your kid know the difference betwen long and short esters but also the importance of a good SERM.So remember a vote for me is a vote for drugs.Did someone say abortion? Please teach my children how to live because I just don't have the time....Jersey rules!

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
why pick on athletic guys? what about the pot heads or the drunks? other drugs are being abused in high school at a higher percentage.
Rates of drug use/abuse tend to go in cycles as does enforcement of prohibition. Focus attention on the efforts made fighting the war on drugs and no one will pay attention to the fact that it's a losing battle. Put simply, in over 7 decades of prohibition with varying degrees of enforcement the government hasn't been able to affect drug usage rates in any perceivable way. By their own figures they only intercept about 10-20% of all drug imports into this country.

My guess, and I'm a big cynic on this issue so take this with a grain of salt please, but my guess would be that marijuana use figures are up, probably along with alcohol and maybe others. So, concentrate on roids, the drug of the moment. When the marijuana numbers go down again in a fews years (usuage rates seem to be cyclical) claim success in that area and shift attention away from the rise in steroid, cocaine and amphetamine use.

I recall recently the government was claiming success in the War on Cocaine because they said street prices had gone up. Not only were they wrong (50 bags were still 50 bags here, being an occasionaly bumper myself I know) but it shows their complete ignorance of the economics driving this issue. The higher prices are a guarantee of more imports because of the profit being gained on each sale. The harder and more successfully the government fights, the more they guarantee availability. This will be true until they start executing people for minor use and dealing offenses, and cutting off limbs and what not as they do in other countries. To achieve that of course we'd have to completely shred the constitution here in US, but it's not like we're not heading down that path anyway. In fact, cynic that I am, I'm inclined to believe that's the very reason for all such nonsense policies: to get more and more power into the hands of the government.

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
Rates of drug use/abuse tend to go in cycles as does enforcement of prohibition. Focus attention on the efforts made fighting the war on drugs and no one will pay attention to the fact that it's a losing battle. Put simply, in over 7 decades of prohibition with varying degrees of enforcement the government hasn't been able to affect drug usage rates in any perceivable way. By their own figures they only intercept about 10-20% of all drug imports into this country.

My guess, and I'm a big cynic on this issue so take this with a grain of salt please, but my guess would be that marijuana use figures are up, probably along with alcohol and maybe others. So, concentrate on roids, the drug of the moment. When the marijuana numbers go down again in a fews years (usuage rates seem to be cyclical) claim success in that area and shift attention away from the rise in steroid, cocaine and amphetamine use.

I recall recently the government was claiming success in the War on Cocaine because they said street prices had gone up. Not only were they wrong (50 bags were still 50 bags here, being an occasionaly bumper myself I know) but it shows their complete ignorance of the economics driving this issue. The higher prices are a guarantee of more imports because of the profit being gained on each sale. The harder and more successfully the government fights, the more they guarantee availability. This will be true until they start executing people for minor use and dealing offenses, and cutting off limbs and what not as they do in other countries. To achieve that of course we'd have to completely shred the constitution here in US, but it's not like we're not heading down that path anyway. In fact, cynic that I am, I'm inclined to believe that's the very reason for all such nonsense policies: to get more and more power into the hands of the government.
It is kind of funny because of all the people I know that use drugs: the people that use steroids are the most productive. They are cops,firemen doctors, teachers, trainers, pro(and non pro) athletes, actors dancers and just people who are dedicated enough to research and disiplined enough to train and diet. They are the same goal oriented people that I would think the government would want to comprise the population.They have a much stronger work ethic than say the people I know who prefer pot, heroin and mdma. with just plain drunks being at the bottom of the food chain.
If the kids that filled out this survey did the old "dot game", that many of us did in high school, when we thought it was bullshit, then the accuracy of the results must be in question.I would also agree that anyhthing presented by a politician as " to protect the children" should be met with extreme skeptisism.

wastedwhiteboy2

wastedwhiteboy2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I tell you what when I was in 7th grade and someone asked me how much I drank, smoked... I was smart enough to know if I said I used a lot then they would make it harder for me to use. I made sure I told everyone that I used with that also. so my school looked like angels to politicians.

msclbldrguy

Awards
  • Established
amen to that. ALcohol and tobacco are much worse. I have no prob with them randomly testing these kids but I am baffled why they call it an increasing problem with such loew percentages. I bet the reason alcohol doesn't receive as much attention has more to do with the tax revenue from alcohol sales as anything...same for tobacco. And some politician probably has his head up his ass thinking pot isn't an issue.

BHERTZ

Awards
The funny thing is that I can honestly say that yes I love a cycle as much as the next guy - but so help me, I can not stand it when politicians play the numbers game. WOW a whole 40% say they can get it. NOTE however that a whopping 4% use it. (Do you realize that you can find a 4% group of students who do anything?! I bet 4% have tried suicide or coke...or butt sex for crying out loud)

Now the flip side...if booze and pot was surveyed, it would probably come up 85% said that it was "easy" to get, and better yet, I bet of those 85%, probably 60% or more actually drank the damn beer or two (or 24) that their buddy bought them. NJ of all places should be talking, considering their IDs up until about a year ago were the easiest things possible to make fakes of.

People hate people that do "illegal" things to make themselves look, feel, or perform better. HOWEVER, they just don't care if it's something that hurts that person.

My point is that I can't believe how it is such a taboo for a 21-yr to say I just did my first SAFE (props to this forum of course) cycle of roids, but when they go out and drink till they are in a coma on their birthday, no one cares. :wtf:

It probably comes down to laziness. Consider this - It's easier to raise a liquor bottle to a mouth and pollute your body, than to formulate and research proper diet and nutrition in which using juice would even be considered in the first place. *Steps off of soapbox*

On that note, Merry Christmas everyone!

BHERTZ

Awards
Well at least you both hate something, so you can both share that interest? :cheers:

so kiss and make up, no need to clog my email box with thoughtless replies.

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
Well at least you both hate something, so you can both share that interest? :cheers:

so kiss and make up, no need to clog my email box with thoughtless replies.
I can assure you that I "thought" about it before I replied.It is just that some replies require more thought than others.I have set up an email account just for any thoughtless replies I might receive. A more critical person might accuse you of being passive aggressive.Oh, I don't wear make up and I will kiss whom I chose to kiss, thank you.