1. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.57%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

FDA up to their same old crap

http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2005/NEW01267.html

FDA Acts to Seize Ephedra-Containing Dietary Supplements

At the request of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Eastern District of Texas and the U.S. Attorney's Office for the District of Oregon filed Complaints for Forfeiture against Nature's Treat Energy Plus #1, a dietary supplement that contains ephedra, an herbal source of ephedrine alkaloids. The supplement is distributed by Nature's Treat, Inc., Gainesville, Texas and ACD Distributing, LLC, of Eugene, Oregon.
    "FDA will do all we can to protect Americans from potentially dangerous dietary supplements," said Andrew von Eschenbach, MD, Acting FDA Commissioner. "We will continue to warn consumers to avoid consumption of dietary supplements containing ephedrine alkaloids."
    Ephedrine alkaloids are adrenaline-like stimulants that can have potentially dangerous effects on the heart. Recent studies have confirmed that ephedrine alkaloids raise blood pressure and otherwise stress the circulatory system, effects that are linked to adverse health effects like heart attacks and strokes. Based on this and other evidence in the scientific literature, FDA issued a rule in 2004 declaring that dietary supplements containing ephedrine alkaloids present an unreasonable risk of illness or injury. According to the product's label, the recommended daily dose of Energy Plus #1 contains 46.8 mg of ephedrine alkaloids.
    U.S. Marshals seized 2634 bottles (120 capsules per bottle) of Nature's Treat Energy Plus #1 (lot numbers 205108 and 205109) from Nature's Treat, Inc., Gainesville, Texas. Also seized were 363 bottles of the same lot numbers from ACD Distributing. The seized products have a total retail value of approximately $150,000.
    ####
    RSS Feed for FDA News Releases

I guess they don't care that a federal judge ruled that they legally are not allowed to do this.

2. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.14%

Wait I think if you read closely in that warehouse the had Weapons of Mass Destruction there too...
  3. Board Supporter
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.11%

what the hell is going on here. last I heard it was legal again.
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.9%

Quote Originally Posted by wastedwhiteboy2
    what the hell is going on here. last I heard it was legal again.
    legal to sell ephedrine as a bronchodilator, but not as a supplement

but this product had ephedra, which is banned
  5. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.57%

Quote Originally Posted by McBurly
    legal to sell ephedrine as a bronchodilator, but not as a supplement

but this product had ephedra, which is banned
    No, a federal judge in Utah ruled that the FDA had no legal grounds under DSHEA to ban ephedrA in the first place.

The FDA never proved, under the FDA's own definition of sufficient proof, that ephedra is dangerous. Indicators aren't enough, they have to prove through clinical studies that it is unsafe under controlled conditions in order to legally ban it. Thus the ban was overturned because the FDA violated DSHEA.

Aparently the FDA doesn't give a ****. Typical.
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.9%

Quote Originally Posted by Nullifidian
    No, a federal judge in Utah ruled that the FDA had no legal grounds under DSHEA to ban ephedrA in the first place.

The FDA never proved, under the FDA's own definition of sufficient proof, that ephedra is dangerous. Indicators aren't enough, they have to prove through clinical studies that it is unsafe under controlled conditions in order to legally ban it. Thus the ban was overturned because the FDA violated DSHEA.

Aparently the FDA doesn't give a ****. Typical.

hmmm, I was under the impression that only ephedrine was legal to sell, my bad
  7. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.36%

Quote Originally Posted by McBurly
    hmmm, I was under the impression that only ephedrine was legal to sell, my bad
    Isn't ephedrine better overall than ephedra? I'd think it'd be more accurate on dosing at least. Wasn't that one of the reasons for the original ephedra ban, inconsistency of dosing when compared to label claims? I think Null was the one who brought that up here in fact.
  8. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.03%

Ephedra in doses under 10mg are legal to sell OTC, but most supplement companies think they won't get insurance to carry them.. I know this because I talk to company reps at least 3 times a week..
  9. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.57%

Quote Originally Posted by CDB
    Isn't ephedrine better overall than ephedra? I'd think it'd be more accurate on dosing at least. Wasn't that one of the reasons for the original ephedra ban, inconsistency of dosing when compared to label claims? I think Null was the one who brought that up here in fact.
    Yes, that was one of the FDA's original reasons for banning ephedra; the inability to determine alkaloid ratios. There is a way to standardize how much of general alkaloids are in a product, but not WHICH alkaloids.

Ephedrine is far superior to ephedra in both safety AND efficacy. Nonetheless, the FDA was in fact overruled by a Utah federal judge.

If the ephedra content was very high perhaps they had reason though.
  10. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40.98%

yea i found that out yesterday when i was about to order bolt's pack of 374 tablets, but the site said they cannot ship to california anymore, and i found a lot of other sites saying the same thing.
  11. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.1%

The decision overuling the ephedra ban came out of the U.S. District Court for the District of Utah, Central Division which is in the 10th Circuit. Decisions of a fed district court are only binding on those districts, no other courts. Texas is in the 5th Circuit and therefore any decision of the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals or any of its district courts is not binding in Texas. Furthermore, states have concurrent power to pass their own laws in this area so even if there was a lift of the federal ban, each state can pass their own state legislation banning ephedra, and I believe many have. For a better understanding, check out this link: http://www.steroidlaw.com/steroid-law-49.html
  12. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.57%

Ah. Well if that's the case, then this company has grounds to sue the FDA. While the ruling may only hold for Utah, it was applied using Federal laws against a Federal institutions who issued a Federal ban.

Thus the same arguments are valid. They just have to go to court again is all.
  13. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.1%

Quote Originally Posted by Nullifidian
    Ah. Well if that's the case, then this company has grounds to sue the FDA. While the ruling may only hold for Utah, it was applied using Federal laws against a Federal institutions who issued a Federal ban.

Thus the same arguments are valid. They just have to go to court again is all.
    The company has no grounds to sue the FDA because on the facts given, the FDA was executing a valid law in Texas. The companies charged can use the ruling in UT as precedent and make the same arguments, but the UT ruling is only persuasive and not binding in Texas. A court in Texas does not have to follow the UT court's decision and can rule the other way. That ruling will be binding in that district. Also remember, the ruling in UT is being appealed by the FDA and can be reversed by the 10th circuit court of appeals.
  14. Board Supporter
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.11%

thanks for the info maccabee.
  15. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.08%

Quote Originally Posted by Schwaugher
    yea i found that out yesterday when i was about to order bolt's pack of 374 tablets, but the site said they cannot ship to california anymore, and i found a lot of other sites saying the same thing.
    Many of them will still ship though even if they say they won't on the website. Pro'ly just to cover their asses legally.
  16. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.76%
    Achievements Posting Pro

"FDA will do all we can to protect Americans from potentially dangerous Big Macs attacks," said Andrew von Eschenbach, MD, Acting FDA Commissioner. "We will continue to warn consumers to avoid consumption of Big Macs containing artery clogging Fat."

Big Mac attacks are adrenaline-like fits that can have potentially dangerous effects on the heart. Recent studies have confirmed that Big Mac attacks raise blood pressure and otherwise stress the circulatory system, effects that are linked to adverse health effects like heart attacks and strokes. Based on this and other evidence in the scientific literature, FDA issued a rule in 2004 declaring that Big Mac attacks present an unreasonable risk of illness or injury. U.S. Marshals seized 2634 Big Macs. The seized products have a total retail value of approximately $150,000.
  17. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    37.71%

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by ryano
    "FDA will do all we can to protect Americans from potentially dangerous Big Macs attacks," said Andrew von Eschenbach, MD, Acting FDA Commissioner. "We will continue to warn consumers to avoid consumption of Big Macs containing artery clogging Fat."

Big Mac attacks are adrenaline-like fits that can have potentially dangerous effects on the heart. Recent studies have confirmed that Big Mac attacks raise blood pressure and otherwise stress the circulatory system, effects that are linked to adverse health effects like heart attacks and strokes. Based on this and other evidence in the scientific literature, FDA issued a rule in 2004 declaring that Big Mac attacks present an unreasonable risk of illness or injury. U.S. Marshals seized 2634 Big Macs. The seized products have a total retail value of approximately $150,000.
    Yeah, that'll be the day. The FDA and most Federal agencies are bloated, biased bureaucracies which serve corporate masters, not the public interest. The "fun" police will do anything to protect the status quo. Until the supplement industry bands together and gets a serious lobby in Washington it will continue to be assailed as an easy target.

Aspartame, Vioxx, MSG, Zoloft, Trans Fat, Cigarettes = legal

Ephedra, Superdrol, Testosterone = banned

What's wrong with this picture?

There's more money in the disease than the cure.
  18. Anabolic Innovations Owner
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.87%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Any board sponsors sell Ephedrine 25mg? I just went to the local truck stop to get some and they said no more because it is illegal???

CROWLER
    Sleep Supplement 3Z BCAA: Red Raspberry and Lemon flavors
    HGH/sleep enhancer: HGHpro
    Test Booster: TestoPRO and STOKED!
    Preworkout: MANIAC Fruit Punch and Pink Lemonade
  19. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.53%

Strange indeed. It never became legal in Cali and Jersey. Nevertheless, its not like we buy these products and I'm happy with my straight E. If you ask me, I'd rather it was banned from stores so dumbass couldn't get it so easily, take a ridiculous amount, hurt themselves, then make a stunt out of it. People are so damn stupid.
  20. board observer
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.45%

Quote Originally Posted by CROWLER
    Any board sponsors sell Ephedrine 25mg? I just went to the local truck stop to get some and they said no more because it is illegal???
    I thought nutraplanet had it, but their site appears to be down right now so I'm not sure. Anyways, just look for Vasopro or Biotek brand ephedrine hcl.
  21. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.84%

Quote Originally Posted by CROWLER

CROWLER
    Same thing happened to me Illinois. They passed another meth lab law that has to put psuedoephedrine that's in cold medicines behind the counter at the pharmacy and you have to show your driver's license. The local gas station used to carry ephedrine behind the counter with the other "stimulants", now they no longer carry it peroid. Some stores don't even sell cold medicine now because they don't have pharmacies.
  22. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.14%

Go to Indiana like I do !!! God Bless sovereign states, and their individual laws. Blago + Dick Durbin sux with this law !!!
  23. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.84%

Quote Originally Posted by Apowerz6
    Go to Indiana like I do !!! God Bless sovereign states, and their individual laws. Blago + Dick Durbin sux with this law !!!
    Unfortunatly I'm on the other side, by St. Louis. You know not everyone in Illinois lives in Chicago! It worked for my advatage though, for awhile. Before the Fed ban on Ephedra, I could just drive 20 minutes to MO and buy some becuase the state of IL banned before the Federal one.
  24. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.68%
    Achievements Posting Pro

the ephedrine/ephedra ruling is under appeal.. that allows the gov to halt all production of any product containing the substance... tis some law that lets the gov. play it safe and pull it until it is proven to be safe... in this case.. ephedra is guilty until proven other wise
  25. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.14%

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrw
    Unfortunatly I'm on the other side, by St. Louis. You know not everyone in Illinois lives in Chicago! It worked for my advatage though, for awhile. Before the Fed ban on Ephedra, I could just drive 20 minutes to MO and buy some becuase the state of IL banned before the Federal one.
    Everyone should !!! jk, sorry to hear that.
  26. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.56%

I can get the small little red pill bottles that sell in truck stops that have 24 pills of Ephedrine HCL at 25 mgs. All day long for about 5 bucks. I was buying this other **** for awhile, synepherine, but they left off the syn and it said epherine. Just glancing I thought I was buying Ephedrine then when I bought it and looked at it I realised it wasn't and was so pissed. Anyway the ephedrine is right there next to it.

Similar Forum Threads

1. patients increased their HDL up to 23 percent in six months
    By sweet-physique in forum News and Articles
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-18-2006, 10:45 PM
  2. Heads up to those who use protein bars.
    By JBlaze in forum Supplements
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-07-2003, 10:03 PM
  3. Creatine same old question different guy
    By dwfender in forum Supplements
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-09-2003, 12:38 AM
  4. Heads up to V12 users
    By Scottyo in forum Supplements
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-04-2003, 07:44 PM