Bomb threat guy shot dead in Miami

N

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/12/07/airplane.gunshot/index.html

MIAMI, Florida (CNN) -- A federal air marshal shot and killed a 44-year-old U.S. citizen on a boarding bridge at Miami International Airport after he said he had a bomb, several sources familiar with the incident told CNN.
Flight 924 was in Miami on a stopover during a flight from Medellin, Colombia, to Orlando, Florida, when the man said there was a bomb in his carry-on luggage, a Department of Homeland Security official said.
He was confronted by a team of federal air marshals, who pursued the man down the boarding bridge and ordered him to get on the ground, the official said. (javascript:cnnVideo('play','video/breakingnews/2005/12/07/bn.aa.gun.fire.affl','2005/12/07'); Watch scene after the incident -- 1:31)
When the man appeared to reach into his baggage, at least one shot was fired by the marshals, wounding the man, the official said, adding that the marshals' actions were consistent with their training. Officials said later that the man had died of his injuries.
Upon investigation, there was no evidence that the man had a bomb, an official said.
This is the first time an air marshal has fired a weapon on or near an airplane, a federal official said.
Footage from the scene shows armed SWAT team members carrying rifles outside the aircraft, along with more than a dozen of police vehicles. Paramedics were standing on the stairway to the aircraft.
The Boeing 757, which can hold about 180 passengers, was due to take off for Orlando at 2:18 p.m. ET. It had arrived in Miami at 12:16 p.m. ET, according to the airline's Web site. No other flights at Miami International were disrupted Wednesday, an airport official said.

C

cable626

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
hmmm when he was on the ground I would've arrested him, then sort **** out. Because now after the attack people are saying "whoops" when they found out he was bipolar and didn't take his medication.

You mean to tell me that 50 SWAT/police/air marshals couldn't get control of one man? no tasers around either?

I understand that we can't be taking any chances when it comes to terrorism, but given the circumstances (they were on the ground, not up in the air), I think the situation could've been handled better.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
hmmm when he was on the ground I would've arrested him, then sort **** out. Because now after the attack people are saying "whoops" when they found out he was bipolar and didn't take his medication.

You mean to tell me that 50 SWAT/police/air marshals couldn't get control of one man? no tasers around either?

I understand that we can't be taking any chances when it comes to terrorism, but given the circumstances (they were on the ground, not up in the air), I think the situation could've been handled better.
They shot him after he "reached in his baggage" where he had claimed to have a bomb. Seems like they made the right call to me. He very well could have been reaching in the bag to trigger the detonator.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
They shot him after he "reached in his baggage" where he had claimed to have a bomb. Seems like they made the right call to me. He very well could have been reaching in the bag to trigger the detonator.
fuckin' A.

can't wait around for a bomb to go off to say 'oops'. shoot first, ask questions later. they reacted perfectly.

mab904

mab904

Awards
I work at an airport and just a few months after 9/11 we had a passenger who was late for his flight and very irrate. He told the lady at the ticket counter to hold the plane for him. The plane was already on the runway ready to take off. When she told him this, he demanded she "stop" the plane so he get on. He had to be in Atlanta for a meeting. She advised him that was not possible, so he said that he had put a bomb on that plane and that nobody was going to Altanta. Well, the airport pd grabbed this guy and arrested him. Then they had to evacuate the whole airport. Our police department caught **** from the media for arresting a poor business man. I say they should have shot the dumb ass. :aargh:

F

FENRIR

Banned
Awards
when we did Force protection overseas, if anyone was at the gate and made a crazy movement after saying something like "I have a bomb" and reached into a bag...we were told to bust their ass until they stopped moving...

right on Air Marshals, maybe they will learn not to be fucking crazy like that..
bipolar is not schizophrenia, being on the downside of a bipolar day is no reason for saying you have a bomb...

C

cable626

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
see guys i understand what you're saying, but the guy couldn't have been tackled when he got off the plane and cuffed right then and there? They could've avoided him even reaching his arms into his bag. (maybe they couldn't, i don't really know anymore)

If the flight was up in the air and he was a threat then by all means shoot him, but they were waiting for him on the boarding dock, and knew what to expect.

damn guys I agree with you about shoot first ask q's later, but you can't do that ALL the time! otherwise everyone will be dead and there'll be no one to question!

C

cable626

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
you obviously shouldn't play around like that, and the guy was an idiot for doing it.
In Mab's case, the PD were obviously were able to detain the man, and that's enough. can't kill people cuz they're stupid...unfortunately.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
fuckin' A.

can't wait around for a bomb to go off to say 'oops'. shoot first, ask questions later. they reacted perfectly.
Couldn't have said it better myself :clap2:

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established

Bipolar doen't make you insane. Its a mood thing. You can be extremely happy, then extremely sad. Not extremely looney.

He was perfectly sane when he did that.

I say welcome to Darwin's hall o' fame.

D

diminuendo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
fuckin' A.

I work at an airport and just a few months after 9/11 we had a passenger who was late for his flight and very irrate. He told the lady at the ticket counter to hold the plane for him. The plane was already on the runway ready to take off. When she told him this, he demanded she "stop" the plane so he get on. He had to be in Atlanta for a meeting. She advised him that was not possible, so he said that he had put a bomb on that plane and that nobody was going to Altanta. Well, the airport pd grabbed this guy and arrested him. Then they had to evacuate the whole airport. Our police department caught **** from the media for arresting a poor business man. I say they should have shot the dumb ass. [quote/]

word, and word. There is no need to justify what can later made to look like it could have been handled differently. Don't do dumb ****, don't get shot, period.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
If SWAT was there, they couldn't have used non-lethal means of subduing this guy? If they arrived there after the fact, then the Marshals who fired the shot/s did the right thing.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If SWAT was there, they couldn't have used non-lethal means of subduing this guy? If they arrived there after the fact, then the Marshals who fired the shot/s did the right thing.
Who cares.. He said he had a bomb... he made a movement IM SURE he was instructed NOT to do. You stall for even a second... Your dead. Dont **** with terrorist, they dont care, why do you? Just cause this case turned out this way... if he did have a bomb.. everyone would have called the guy that pulled the trigger a hero.

Adams

Im with Beelz. run on instinct... dont hesitate with that type of situation.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
damn guys I agree with you about shoot first ask q's later, but you can't do that ALL the time! otherwise everyone will be dead and there'll be no one to question!

why can't we? i guaranfuckintee that stupid **** would get cut to a minimum when the realization hits that their ass might get a cap if they don't mind their P's and Q's. just because it's not 'politically correct' doesn't make it a bad call. who gives a **** if he's bipolar, fucker should have taken his meds. say bomb = you die.

didn't ya'll see 'meet the parents'? can't say bomb on an airplane. :icon_lol:

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Who cares.. He said he had a bomb... he made a movement IM SURE he was instructed NOT to do. You stall for even a second... Your dead. Dont **** with terrorist, they dont care, why do you? Just cause this case turned out this way... if he did have a bomb.. everyone would have called the guy that pulled the trigger a hero.

Adams

Im with Beelz. run on instinct... dont hesitate with that type of situation.
I said they did the right thing, but if you can handle the situation without killing the person, then why not. No one knows exactly what happened, so as far as I'm concerned they did what they had to do.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I said they did the right thing, but if you can handle the situation without killing the person, then why not. No one knows exactly what happened, so as far as I'm concerned they did what they had to do.
Ah Then must have misread when you said something about the SWAT.

Overall... you threat bomb on a plane... blow the mother fucker away... but that is me... they will get learned real quick.

Adams

D

delta314

Awards
  • Established
Everyone knows what they say about hindsight being 20/20... There will always be peopel ready to analyze a situation and tell you a better way of handling it. In police work, you have to make split second decisions that can be the difference between loss of life, whether it is the citizens around you, or you and your fellow officers. This is why you train and train and train, so that when you are in a situation like this, your training takes over automatically. I believe in this situation the officer did the right thing. Yuo should always use the minimum amount of force needed to take control of a situation. This one called for deadly force. The dumbass business man at the airport called for getting your butt thrown down on the floor, cuffed, searched, and arrested. I'm sure that once his comapny found out about all of this, he might have even become "unemployed". If you could shoot people for being stupid, who would be left in the forums to debate with? If only smart people were left, we would all be in agreement with each other,........

M

miked512

Awards
Everyone knows what they say about hindsight being 20/20... There will always be peopel ready to analyze a situation and tell you a better way of handling it. In police work, you have to make split second decisions that can be the difference between loss of life, whether it is the citizens around you, or you and your fellow officers. This is why you train and train and train, so that when you are in a situation like this, your training takes over automatically. I believe in this situation the officer did the right thing. Yuo should always use the minimum amount of force needed to take control of a situation. This one called for deadly force. The dumbass business man at the airport called for getting your butt thrown down on the floor, cuffed, searched, and arrested. I'm sure that once his comapny found out about all of this, he might have even become "unemployed". If you could shoot people for being stupid, who would be left in the forums to debate with? If only smart people were left, we would all be in agreement with each other,........
Nah, then the smart people would shoot people less/more smart than them. You'd have one person left and that would be the person smart enough to shoot all of the other smarties first.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Nah, then the smart people would shoot people less/more smart than them. You'd have one person left and that would be the person smart enough to shoot all of the other smarties first.
:think: Uhh, yeah, what he said.

M

max-rot98

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Ah Then must have misread when you said something about the SWAT.

Overall... you threat bomb on a plane... blow the mother fucker away... but that is me... they will get learned real quick.

Adams
Right on dude. Guy got what he deserved period!
Said he had a bomb, reached into his bag, got blown the f*ck away. Marshalls potentially saved hundreds of lives and people want to criticize. If any of you were standing within 10 feet of this guy at this time you'd be praying someone hit his off switch before you and loved ones die.

C

cable626

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
If any of you were standing within 10 feet of this guy at this time you'd be praying someone hit his off switch before you and loved ones die.
I was talking to a friend about this today, and basically he said that if my mother was blown up if she was at the airport if this guy DID happen to have a bomb then I'd be on the other side. He was right. I'd be complaining that the marshal didn't kill him sooner. I don't like it when people get killed in a situation that could've been avoided, but only the people that were there knew what the right thing to do at that time was.

It sucks for the guys wife though, who saw her husband get shot to death...

N

Neuromancer

Awards
  • Established
**** that guy.

It warms my heart to see such non-politically correct handling of terrorist like BS. Shoot now, ask questions later. I really hope the only one saying "oops" is the dumb ass who got shot.

Magickk

Magickk

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Exactly... I think everyone is basically in agreement in this situation. The media it seems like, is trying to spin it to make everyone feel sorry for the fucktard, by saying "there was no bomb" repeatedly in most of the articles I read. But I say **** him, bipolar is no excuse, I know a guy who is bipolar, and it's like kwyck said, you're happy and in a great mood one minute, then the next minute the dude will just be sad and all depressed and ****. This guy was a fucktard who wanted to kill himself but was too weak to pull the trigger himself IMO. Wouldn't surprise me if he found out his wife was cheating on him on her "business trip" she had just gotten back from and pulled this **** spur of the moment. Good job Air Marshals! :thumbsup:

Apowerz6

Apowerz6

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Well last night on nightline (beshard gets on my damn nerves, i hate his accent !!! I miss Ted Kopel) Anyway they said that an 40 year old Egyptian man earlier this week had tested 5 times for explosives in his shoes, he was then arrested, and the retarded US Marshalls let go because he said he was going to school in Des Moines Iowa. They then checked that story out,it turned out to be false, and he has since disappeared, so ALL US Marshalls were on the lookout for a 40 year old man with olive skin, and this guy yells I have a bomb in my bag-Not good. Bottom line US marshalls did the right thing, you can't cry Wolf !!!

wastedwhiteboy2

wastedwhiteboy2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I really cant beleive someone would stand up for this dude. thats amazing. there was only one reaction that could have been made.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
I can't believe the media is running with this "bipolar" excuse and that there are so many retards that believe it. LOL...

If he was schitzophrenic, then he'd have an excuse.

But, being a manic depressive at best he can hallucinate, but he wouldnt be insane. lol.

He's was an idiot and mother nature said "okie dokie dipshit...time to take out the genetic garbage."

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I don't know if any of you know people with severe bipolar, but during a severe manic phase this is exactly the type of thing they might do. I know a guy who is severely manic, and when he's off he doesn't sleep for weeks at a time. He is off his rocker until he gets committed and medicated again. In fact, a manic episode seems to share many similarities with schizophrenia.

That being said, if I were the Air Marshall I would have done the same thing. No time to contemplate whether or not a guy is manic when he's screaming that he has a bomb. I think the Marshall did the right thing.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
BTW, he recently threatened to blow up someone's house, and he has been arrested countless times. He's locked up right now.

Apowerz6

Apowerz6

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
B i am with you on that, i worked 2 years as a case manager for a mental health center dealing with Mentally Ill Substance Abuse clients, and yes i have seen a broad spectrum, but even then clients knew their actions would cause reastions, and in some cases we had to call the cops to get the clients because they would be of of meds for moths, and they needed to get balanced through inpatient care. Bottom line people know when they cross the line, and i would rather him have died then to have had a repeat terrorist attack on Pearl Harbor's anniversary or any day for that matter...

D

diminuendo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
bomb=explosion, airplane=thousands of gallons of combustibles. bomb anywhere near airplane=serious threat to a large radius. Shame on the media for all this "he wasn't even on the plane" bullshit. I wonder how comfortable they would be sitting on giant gas can while I detonate explosives outside. I wouldn't even be comfortable with someone setting off fireworks outside of a plane I was on, much less a fucking bomb. Jeez.

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
Funny impersonation I heard on the radio....

John Kerry- "Well (caugh caugh) I WAS for the air marshals. That is, untill they actually started to shoot."

AGELESS

AGELESS

Awards
  • Established
beelzebub - youre obviously a educated man - with survival skills.

How much more information does an air marshall need

"I have a bomb" (works for me) An error on the marshalls part leaves one dead if he shoots; many dead if he hesitates - duh.:blink:

V

VanillaGorilla

Awards
  • Established
I don't guess this second guessing the air marshals mentality. What do they want the air marshals do if someone says I have a bomb? Wait to see if he actually have one and risk killing hundreds instead of one deranged jackass? After 9-11 we can't take that chance. If someone says they have a bomb I am going to take their word for it. When did the united States turn into Bizzaro land?

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
I don't know if any of you know people with severe bipolar, but during a severe manic phase this is exactly the type of thing they might do. I know a guy who is severely manic, and when he's off he doesn't sleep for weeks at a time. He is off his rocker until he gets committed and medicated again. In fact, a manic episode seems to share many similarities with schizophrenia.

That being said, if I were the Air Marshall I would have done the same thing. No time to contemplate whether or not a guy is manic when he's screaming that he has a bomb. I think the Marshall did the right thing.
Right on the bipolar. You don't ahve to hallucinating or insane to act incredibly stupid. Still the right reaction from the air marshalls as everyone said. Bottom line is if you're insane or traveling with someone with severe mental problems, make sure they take their meds before boarding.

I do hate this. Law enforcement does something right and they get criticized as much as when they do something wrong. It's annoying.