Coffee and Tea, and it's role in liver health

Magickk

Magickk

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I found this pretty interesting.

Coffee and tea may reduce the risk of serious liver damage in people who drink alcohol too much, are overweight, or have too much iron in the blood, researchers reported on Sunday.

The study of nearly 10,000 people showed that those who drank more than two cups of coffee or tea per day developed chronic liver disease at half the rate of those who drank less than one cup each day.

The study, conducted by the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases and Social & Scientific Systems, Inc., found that coffee provided no protection to people at risk of liver disease from other causes, such as viral infections.

"While it is too soon to encourage patients to increase their coffee and tea intake, the findings of our study potentially offer people at high-risk for developing chronic liver disease a practical way to decrease that risk," said Dr. Constance Ruhl, who helped lead the study.

"In addition, we hope the findings will offer guidance to researchers who are studying liver disease progression."
Writing in the American Gastroenterological Association journal Gastroenterology, Ruhl and colleagues said caffeine seemed to hold the key.
They analyzed the records of 9,849 participants in a government survey whose coffee and tea intake was evaluated and who were followed for about 19 years.

danTman2

Awards
  • Established
does green tea powder count?

Im going to start drinking coffee anyway.

The Experiment

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I drink 4 cups of coffee a day so thats good news to me.

intv

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Wow, never expected that, at least not from the coffee!

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
If I had to guess, I would say the caffiene is not the protective agent in coffee and tea, rather it would one of the many phenols, ecgc, et cetera..but who knows.

Irish coffee three times a day..keeps me strong like bull! lol

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
Coffee is made from the coffee bean which is a green vegetable.

It is one of the very best antioxidents there are.

CROWLER

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
If I had to guess, I would say the caffiene is not the protective agent in coffee and tea, rather it would one of the many phenols, ecgc, et cetera..but who knows.

Irish coffee three times a day..keeps me strong like bull! lol
Yeah I would have to agree here. I do know coffee oils can be bad on cholesterol though, esecially decaf. versions, not as much so in regular.

Malek256

Awards
Yeah I would have to agree here. I do know coffee oils can be bad on cholesterol though, esecially decaf. versions, not as much so in regular.
Definitely. That is why it is better to use unbleached paper filters rather than non-filtered coffee (such as espresso).

I would prefer that the same were true for reusable metal filters but it seems that it may not be. :(