WWE Eddie Guerrero dead

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Checked the site out, and it's a real shocker to me. Anybody have any idea of what he died from.

warriorway

warriorway

Awards
  • Established
WWE wrestler found dead in Minneapolis hotel room
Chao Xiong, Star Tribune

When World Wrestling Entertainment wrestler Eddie Guerrero didn't answer his wakeup call Sunday and didn't respond to a knock on his hotel-room door, security and Guerrero's nephew forced their way into his room and found the 5-feet-8, 220-pound superstar on the floor, said Minneapolis police.

Efforts to resuscitate the 38-year-old weren't successful and the WWE was suddenly thrust into the task of finding the delicate balance between continuing with tonight's wrestling show while paying tribute to one of its biggest attractions.

"This is a huge loss," said WWE chairman Vince McMahon. "Eddie was a wonderful, fun-loving human being. Eddie was a consummate performer."

"I know Eddie would want the show to go on," said his nephew and fellow WWE wrestler, Chavo Guerrero.

Chavo Guerrero said he found his uncle dead shortly after 7 a.m. in his room at the Marriott Hotel in downtown Minneapolis.

Police said there are no signs of foul play or indications that Guerrero's death was a suicide. His death is under investigation.

Chavo Guerrero and McMahon said Guerrero was open about his past drug and alcohol abuse but they said he'd celebrated four years of sobriety just days ago. Whether or not his past chemical abuse factored into his death is unknown, McMahon said.

Guerrero was in the Twin Cities with 60 to 80 other wrestlers to film "Friday Night Smackdown" at the Target Center.

Guerrero became WWE champion in February 2004, when he defeated Brock Lesnar, a former University of Minnesota wrestling standout. Guerrero lost the title four months later.

Guerrero was featured on the UPN series "WWE Smackdown!" and was the son of Mexican wrestler Gory Guerrero. He is survived by his wife Vickie and daughters Shaul, 14; Sherilyn, 9, and Kaylie Marie, 3.

In May 2004, UPN aired the special "Cheating Death, Stealing Life: The Eddie Guerrero Story." The one-hour program chronicled his childhood and his struggle with drug addiction that almost cost him his job, family and life before his recovery and eventual capture of the WWE championship.

Guerrero was born into Mexico's first family of professional wrestling, and grew up in El Paso, Texas. He and his three older brothers were all wrestlers.

His drug escapades as an adult included flipping his car going 130 miles per hour while taking Ecstasy. Doctors told the family that it was unlikely he would survive. From there, he went numerous binges abusing cocaine, alcohol and pain killers. He was fired by the WWE, his wife filed for divorce, and the IRS seized his wages.

After recovery, he remarried his wife, reclaimed his job and became the second wrestler of Hispanic heritage to be WWE champion.

While a cause of death for Guerrero wasn't immediately known, the pro wrestling profession has seen numerous premature deaths in recent years, some tied directly to steroid use.

In a March 2004 report, USA Today said that at least 65 wrestlers had died since 1997 - 25 from heart attacks or other coronary problems. Many had enlarged hearts. In five of the 25 deaths, medical examiners found that steroids might have played a role. Excessive steroid use can lead to an enlarged heart. In 12 others, coroners cited evidence of use of painkillers, cocaine and other drugs.

Steroids played a role in the deaths of several pro wrestlers since 1997, USA Today reported. Among them:

Curt Hennig, 44, died of acute cocaine intoxication in 2003. His father said a lethal combination of steroids and painkillers contributed to his death.

Davey Boy Smith (the British Bulldog), 39,died in 2002 of an enlarged heart with evidence of microscopic scar tissue, possibly from steroid abuse, a coroner said.

Louie (Spicolli) Mucciolo, 27, died from coronary disease in 1998. Investigators found an empty vial of the male hormone testosterone, pain pills and an anxiety-reducing drug.

Richard (Ravishing Rick Rude) Rood, 40, died from an overdose of "mixed medications" in 1999.

(Flyin') Brian Pillman, 35, was taking painkillers and human-growth hormone when he died from heart disease in 1997, his widow said.

Staff writer Paul Walsh contributed to this report. Chao Xiong ? 612-673-4391

They don't know but it looks like they'll be blaming the juice.

feelingfizzy

feelingfizzy

Awards
he abused alot of substances apparently together with hard life on the road as wrestler.

It will be hard to evaluate one thing.

Death most likely due to various factors among which would be steroid abuse.

SubliminalX

SubliminalX

Awards
  • Established
Damn, that sucks. Should have laid off the drugs. I'm sure he was doing a lot more than just AAS.

UHCougar05

UHCougar05

Awards
  • Established
Damn, I'm gonna miss Eddie on WWE television. He was entertaining as hell given the right storyline and was one of the most athletic wrestlers in the WWE. Unfortunately, like most wrestlers, his demons got the better of him. These guys should not be dying this damn young...:rant:

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
That sucks! Poor Eddie! More fuel for the anti-steroid media frenzy.:(

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
"While a cause of death for Guerrero wasn't immediately known, the pro wrestling profession has seen numerous premature deaths in recent years, some tied directly to steroid use."

^^^
somehow these people who died have neither bodies or names.

UHCougar05

UHCougar05

Awards
  • Established
the pro wrestling profession has seen numerous premature deaths in recent years, some tied directly to steroid use.
Tied directly to steroid use...Partly yes, but they neglect the fact that there was rampant abuse of painkillers, cocaine, and other drugs that are harder on the system than steroids could ever be. Narcotics and painkillers are the main problem, not steroids.

Qwerty

Board Supporter
Awards
Yet another death with the suspicion of steroid use. Of course people will always chip in that there was abuse or something else was at fault. The bottom line is the issue isn't black and white. Steroids surely aren't the sole cause of these deaths, but they surely aren't completely absent of blame either. And neither do they fall into the "safe" category when trying to decide, black or white, wether they are soley safe or dangerous. The truth, like most things, is it falls somewhere in between. Don't get caught up in argueing between black and white, because neither exists.

Dungeon1

Dungeon1

Awards
"died of an acute cocaine overdose" his father said it was a combination of steroids and painkillers.......

Yeah, the autopsy couldn't possibly have been right! Ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!

Dungeon1

Dungeon1

Awards
I have often wondered if there is not some corrolation between increased cardiac stress (stimulants, intense aerobic excersize, etc.) and the use of steroids that leads to the issues involving enlarged hearts. If there is in fact a corrolation, then the cocaine would definately be a no no.

badbart

badbart

Awards
  • Established
Big people don't live as long as people with normal weight in the first place. Football players have a short life expediency something like 63. Street drugs, excessive weight and steroids probably all play a part of being hard on their hearts.

ryano

Awards
  • Established
Not a big wrestling fan but anyone who dies before his time is really sad.

doggzj

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
"died of an acute cocaine overdose" his father said it was a combination of steroids and painkillers.......

Yeah, the autopsy couldn't possibly have been right! Ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!
I was thinking the same thing when I read that.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Ah, that's really too bad. Coke is definitely not what you want to be doing while you're on mega-doses of test.

Y2Jversion1

Y2Jversion1

Board Supporter
Awards
Interesting stuff from Test's site - AndrewTestMartin.com.

I've been up all night and haven't realy slept as everyone knows by know Eddie Guerrero has passed away. Everybody knows Eddie had his demons but he had been clean for a long time, it was way to soon for him to go and he leaves behind to beautifull young daughters and a wonderfull life my heart goes out to them. Eddie was a huge help to me he helped me progress in the ring and we even wrestles ar wrestlemania in houston in 2001 for the european championship. Eddie i pray you are in a better place and THANKYOU for everything you taught me. Now instead of usually talking about what I'm up to I'm going to break down the reality of this business we call wrestling. When I say "who's next" I'm not coining Goldbergs line I'm actually wondering who's next? who's next to die? I can think of at least 15 to 20 people who have died from various things mostly prescription pain killers. For all you wanna be wrestlers who wanna get in this business..escpecially now when wwe doesn't pay you anymore than you would make at a 9 to 5 job let me break some things down for you. When I started wrestling I had never seen or heard of vicodin or percocet or soma. How come so many wrestlers die from these medications and football players and hockey players don't? The answer is simple..wrestlers especially wwe wrestlers work 5 days a week all year long taking bump after bump in the ring, a doctor explained it to me like this..everytime you take a fall in the ring it's like gettin rear ended by a car going 20mph so how many bumps in the ring a night do you take? multiply that by how many times a week you work all year long..that's a hell of a lot of whiplash and pain. I can remember hearing a conversation from some unamed wwe head guys talking about how this certain person needs to go to rehab but they couldnt send him because he was to important to the show..that's the reality people thta is how we are treated...look at me I break my neck in the ring had to have 2 discs taken out of my neck and a steel plate put in and was told at the time by Johny Ace in his exact words were when I asked if my job would be in jeopardy he said "we don't fire people with injuries like that" Hmm that's funny cause 2 months after surgery I got fired because I wasn't working my 7 years of busting my ass for them and putting over the bosses son while my foot was broken in a cast was all forgotten about. I remember when I was bein trained by Bret and I met Bad News Allen he said this to me and I'll never forget it "all wrestlers are to Vince are puppets and when he is done playing with you he throws you away but sometimes he'll dust you off bring you back and play with you some more" That is the truth people...when Johny Ace called me and told me they were releasing me which of course he put all the heat on Vince...I said to him what kind of message are you sending the boys that if they get hurt they are going to get fired? So all the guys who don't want to lose their jobs what do they do...popp a couple of percocet or vicodin and mask the pain cause god forbid they say they are hurt and lose their job...I'm not going to name any names but I know at least a dozen or so wrestlers who are addicted to these things for that very reason...get hurt lose your job...I just turned 30 my back aches everyday, I have a metal plate in my neck and yes I got in the business at the right time and have a lot of nice things but is it all worth it? you guys don't see the ugly side of this business..yes wrestling is entertainment but the bumps and bruises are real and sometimes they don't go away...so think long and hard before you get in this business cause I can tell you first hand that if your not working or making them money they don't give a **** about you....and the sad part is Eddie was clean and I guarantee he won't be the last one to die in the next 12 months..so that's why i say who's next? Don't take your life for granted it's a gift..don't go to bed mad and tell the people you care about you love them because you never know....take care

UHCougar05

UHCougar05

Awards
  • Established
Interesting stuff from Test's site - AndrewTestMartin.com.
The addiction factor is an unfortunate side of the business. You do what you have to do to get by, but it doesn't really make the situation any better. I grew up watching wrestling as a kid and now as a young adult I see all the guys I grew up watching dropping like flies. Curt Hennig, Road Warrior Hawk, Brian Pillman, etc. Guys that gave their lives to the wrestling business. I ended up recording WWE Raw on my DVR and just finshing watching it, it was a really good tribute to Eddie, I got choked up from time to time watching it. God, I'm going to miss seeing him on WWE TV.:sad:

Big_E

Awards
His wife Vickie released a statement to WWE.com today indicating that the initial autopsy report indicated that he died of heart failure, due to his past abuse of alcohol and pain killers.

He had in fact been sober for the past 4 years. He really had an inspiring and wonderful story of tragedy and triumph. A true and shining example of the drama of man. He fell from grace into the deepest pits of hell, he lost everything, only to end up fighting his demons and slaying the dragon in order to win back his life....going on to become the conquering hero/champion. You could not ask for a better story of overcoming in life than his.

His story of victory is what makes his sudden death so tragic because he had overcame so much. I guess that he just did some irreversable damage to himself and despite his overcoming, he eventually had to pay for his past wrong deeds with a shortened life span, which is only just a reminder to us all that we are indeed NOT immortals, despite whatever great things that we may have done or may do.

R.I.P. Eddie

VIVA LA RAZA

Y2Jversion1

Y2Jversion1

Board Supporter
Awards
Here's details from his wife's statement on the autopsy:

Eddie Guerrero's Autopsy Report (with Vickie's comments)
http://www.wwe.com/inside/news/causeofdeath

Vickie Guerrero speaks on Eddie's autopsy report
Nov. 15, 2005

After the untimely passing of Eddie Guerrero, WWE and the entire sports-entertainment community is steel reeling from the devastating loss of a champion. The initial autopsy reports on Guerrero have come in. WWE.com spoke with Eddie’s widow, Vickie Guerrero, earlier today.

It was heart failure. It was from his past – the drinking and the drug abuse. They found signs of heart disease. She (the examiner) said that the blood vessels were very worn and narrow, and that just showed all the abuse from the scheduling of work and his past. And Eddie just worked out like crazy all the time. It made his heart grow bigger and work harder and the vessels were getting smaller, and that’s what caused the heart failure. He went into a deep sleep.

As soon as they saw his heart, they saw the lining of his heart already had the heart disease. There was no trauma, and Eddie hadn’t hurt himself in any way. It answered a lot of questions. I knew Eddie wasn’t feeling very good for the last week. He was home and kept saying he wasn’t feeling good and we thought it was just “road tired.” So we thought he just had to rest. It answered a lot of my questions, too, because he was just so exhausted. She said it was normal because the heart was working so hard.

When he didn’t call me last night and the night before I knew it was for real, because he would call me every night. I miss his phone calls. I cried through the whole thing (last night).

I loved his laugh. His laugh was the best.

We just celebrated his four-year sobriety last Thursday. We just thought we had life by the handful. We thought we had it all figured out. He worked so hard to make a better life for us.

I’m just overwhelmed by how people are coming out. It’s touched my heart a lot.

Everybody was just in awe last night in how beautifully everything was put together.

All my life was wrestling. All he did was take care of them and live for that. And I don’t know what to do now.”
It says his heart was enlarged... Eddie did seem to have gained quite a bit of mass in the last little while. Maybe he over did it [gear] in the last little while that may have contributed to his previous list of ailments?

I'm sure that if it [gear] was a contributor, Vinnie Mac would not want that in any statements that went public as he's had his run-ins with the law in regards to pushing his athletes to use and how he generally has a preference for 'bigger' athletes.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Mike Matarazzo nearly went out the same way...he was feeling down one week and he went to the doctor, turned out he was a step away from massive heart failure.

http://www.getbig.com/iview/matarazzo041221.htm

It re-emphasizes that its so important to get extensive checkups regularly.

BV

Y2Jversion1

Y2Jversion1

Board Supporter
Awards
Mike Matarazzo nearly went out the same way...he was feeling down one week and he went to the doctor, turned out he was a step away from massive heart failure.

http://www.getbig.com/iview/matarazzo041221.htm

It re-emphasizes that its so important to get extensive checkups regularly.

BV
Yea, I read about that in Flex - just goes to show that even though you may feel and look great, your insides may be telling a whole different story.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Prince IronMag Labs 0
Daff General Chat 15
ryane87 Supplement Logs 169
General Chat 9
CorpKiller General Chat 19