PA Indicted

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. PA Indicted


    I just got this info in an e-mail. Just thought some may find it interesting.

    Patrick Arnold Indicted on Three Counts of Illegally Distributing Performance-Enhancing Drugs

    United States Attorney Kevin V. Ryan announced that a federal grand jury in San Francisco indicted Patrick Arnold, of Champaign, Illinois, today on a 3-count indictment charging 1) conspiracy to distribute anabolic steroids, 2) conspiracy to defraud consumers and the United States by introducing misbranded drugs into interstate commerce, and 3) introduction and delivery of the misbranded drug tetrahydragestrinone, also known as “The Clear” and THG, into interstate commerce with the intent to defraud and mislead. This indictment is the result of an investigation by IRS–Criminal Investigation and the Food and Drug Administration, Office of Criminal Investigations.
    According to the indictment, Mr. Arnold, 39, an organic chemist and prohormone manufacturer in Champaign, Illinois, is charged with conspiring with Victor Conte, the President of the Bay Area Lab Cooperative (Balco), and others to misbrand and to distribute the following drugs to professional athletes without adequate labeling, directions, and warnings regarding its use...
    Full Story: http://blog.mesomorphosis.com/news/archives/2005/11/patrick-arnold-indicted-on-steroids-distribution.html


  2. Good luck to PA.

    Hmmm #2 should be interesting. #1 and #3 bla bla bla.
    •   
       


  3. I hope they don't stick it. If it were some other case I don't think they would, but due to the public's ignorance, I worry.

  4. The outcome of #2 worries me. It could steer the direction the government takes regarding supplement regualtion in the future. Hope everything works out for PA.

  5. The bad thing about this for PA is that the governments' sacrificial lamb in the BALCO fiasco. IF there was no law prohibiting him from making THG and he gets a fair trial then he may not be so screwed after all BUT the court system will always think of so many charges to press so you never know. Bottom line, if they want to screw him they will.
    •   
       


  6. Mess with the bull...

  7. I got this from BB.com... check out the bold.

    This should serve to remind us to be mindfull of what we post on message boards...

    Illinois Chemist Is Indicted in BALCO Scandal

    By Amy Shipley
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Friday, November 4, 2005; Page E01

    Illinois chemist Patrick Arnold supplied anabolic steroids to Victor Conte, the mastermind of the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative (BALCO) drug scandal that ensnared more than a dozen prominent U.S. and international athletes, federal authorities said in a three-count indictment released yesterday.

    Arnold also provided steroids to the coach of the two Greek sprinters who withdrew from the 2004 Summer Olympics in Athens after skipping drug tests, according to the indictment.

    Arnold, 39, a highly regarded dietary supplement manufacturer who brought to the market the now-illegal steroid product known as andro (androstenedione), is charged with creating and distributing three steroids designed to avoid detection in standard sport drug screens: norbolethone, DMT (or madol) and THG, the most well-known steroid at the center of the BALCO scandal which is also known as "the clear."

    A number of prominent athletes, including baseball players Barry Bonds, Jason Giambi and Gary Sheffield, and sprinters Marion Jones, Tim Montgomery and Kelli White, had ties to BALCO.

    Authorities alleged that Arnold sent packages of THG to Conte, a friend in Houston and overseas to Chris Tsekos, the coach of the Greek sprinters Costas Kenteris and Ekaterina Thanou, who were accused by Greek authorities of staging a motorcycle crash to explain their absence from drug tests the night before the Olympic Opening Ceremonies. Their case, which has caused great embarrassment in Greece, is now before the Court of Arbitration for Sport in Lausanne, Switzerland. Federal officials said they found vials of THG, DMT and norbolethone in a storage locker discovered during a Sept., 2003, raid of Conte's lab in Burlingame, Calif., and that Conte referred to Arnold as "the clearman" in e-mails.

    "Today's indictment is a direct result of what began as the BALCO investigation and the continuing hard work and dedication of the whole investigative team," IRS-Criminal Investigation Special Agent in Charge, Roger L. Wirth said.

    Arnold, who was not in custody yesterday and could not be reached for comment, faces a maximum of 13 years in prison and a fine of $750,000 if convicted on the charges of conspiracy to distribute anabolic steroids, conspiracy to defraud by distributing misbranded drugs and the introduction and delivery of THG into the market. Two others, Conte and Bonds's personal trainer, were indicted in February 2003 on steroid charges in connection with the BALCO scandal.

    Conte was sentenced to four months in jail and four months probation as part of a plea deal that was approved last month; trainer Greg Anderson received three months in jail and three months probation.

    Authorities said they relied on information from 2002 U.S. Olympic bobsledder Gea Johnson, who described herself as a friend of Arnold's for two or three years, to confirm his identity in a series of postings to a public message board at http://bodybuilding.com in which he boasted of having synthesized steroids since 1991.

    Arnold apparently thought he had escaped sanction in connection with the BALCO scandals, writing on the message board Aug. 1, "I have learned that the only crime in selling one of these compounds is a minor FDA violation . . . really, as much as the feds may want to make an example of me, with the way the law is written there is not much that can be done. Certainly they may make a media and political controversy out of it. But I don't care."
    Arnold's lab was raided by federal investigators in September.

    Arnold also said in a June 2001 e-mail to his Houston-based friend Miles Werre, who authorities said admitted making a testosterone-based cream for Conte, that "I am sending you . . . a designer roid dissolved in propylene glycol. The designer stuff is very secret and very potent. It is currently being used by several high profile athletes, some of whom are having phenomenal success in their sports right now."

    The indictment from the U.S. Attorney's Office in the Northern District of California also said Conte warned Greek track coach Andreas Linardatos that athletes should stop using THG because authorities had discovered it.

    Arnold, who helps run Proviant Technologies in Champaign, Ill., and sells supplements through the Ergopharm line, first gained fame after his andro was used in 1998 by former St. Louis Cardinals slugger Mark McGwire.

  8. I don't approve of PA's dialogue and actions at times, but credit the man for serious innovation in the biz--and appreciate him for that. I hope he fairs well, because it's the gov't I dislike in the whole crackdown thing. I do think, however, that the irresponsible actions of some supp co's (i.e. greed, for lack of better terminology) has contributed to what we now are experiencing--and probably will "seal the deal" in some regards in terms of further restrictive legislation.

    I just want to give a shout out to those reputable companies who still lead the industry in innovation and concern themselves with safety and ethics, as well as in preserving our rights to legally supplement!

  9. Proviant issued this release on November 3rd:

    We are cooperating with authorities to ensure that this matter is properly investigated; we are confident that their findings will ultimately absolve Patrick of any suggestion of wrongdoing.

    Patrick has a respected reputation as a chemist in the nutritional supplement industry. He has been instrumental in pioneering a wide range of popular dietary products, including fat-loss products, protein powders and cellular energizers.

    While we do not wish to try this case in the press, I would like to underscore that Patrick has always sought to conduct his business in a professional manner and with strict adherence to the law. We look forward to assisting authorities in resolving this matter, and have no further comments.

  10. Quote Originally Posted by diamonddave
    I just got this info in an e-mail. Just thought some may find it interesting.
    I really hate that this has happen to such a fine gentlemen. I hope he doesn't get much time. I really looked up to Mr. Arnold. Really admire him and his work.

  11. I'd say gentleman is a stretch.

  12. Quote Originally Posted by asap nutrition
    I really hate that this has happen to such a fine gentlemen. I hope he doesn't get much time. I really looked up to Mr. Arnold. Really admire him and his work.
    He certainly changed (or helped to change) sports nutrition industry. It wasn't too long ago that the "best" supp in the industry was EndoPro. Andro6 was a big step and PA hasn'nt really looked back. It's my understanding that PA did a lot of the research for DD's articles, so he should probably get some credit there as well.

    One of the residual benefits of MM2K was that BBs became more sophisticated about science and biology. Thus, the standard for what a product must do in terms of results has been raised.

  13. Again, props to PA for all he has done. That said, I object to some of his antics. For example, I just read on Vitamin Shoppe's site an updated article in which PA now retracts the whole notion that AMP is best used about 3X/week because it loses its efficacy if used beyond that. This idea (which he seems to have come up with) has been validated on just about every board by innumerable testers and consumers alike--AMP is well suited for max results when not overused. It is clear now however, that suddely someone realized that you sell a hell of a lot more AMP when you suggest that this is NOT the case, and it's now advisable to use AMP every day. To me, this reeks of insincerity, greed, and all the other crap I hate about the supp industry. Nobody freak out here; again, this is just my honest feeling/opinion.

  14. Quote Originally Posted by asap nutrition
    I really hate that this has happen to such a fine gentlemen. I hope he doesn't get much time. I really looked up to Mr. Arnold. Really admire him and his work.
    Oh wow, I'm not even sure what to say!

  15. LOL Dr.D, you don't like him or something? I wonder why? Because he is such fine gentleman... NOT

  16. Quote Originally Posted by DmitryWI
    LOL Dr.D, you don't like him or something? I wonder why? Because he is such fine gentleman... NOT
    It's not that I don't like him, it's just that people still don't realize he's the biggest reason there is so much heat on the industry now and in the last few years! Oh well. If he created this industry, I guess it's his to trash, right?

  17. I'm being sarcastic, Dr.D, and I read your argument with him on his board, and you didn't handle it the best way, I guess he got under your skin pretty bad, I hope you feel better now. Don't let him get you, you are better man than him. Good luck and God bless.

  18. Yeah, I suppose Captain Arnold is going down with the SS Prohormone. It's sad that anyone has to do time for a bunch of hormones and to "protect sports". I really think sports should take care of itself.

  19. Quote Originally Posted by bioman
    Yeah, I suppose Captain Arnold is going down with the SS Prohormone. It's sad that anyone has to do time for a bunch of hormones and to "protect sports". I really think sports should take care of itself.
    An indictment does not mean that he is "going down." It is serious, but he has good lawyers and should be able to manage a sound defense.

  20. Quote Originally Posted by DR.D
    It's not that I don't like him, it's just that people still don't realize he's the biggest reason there is so much heat on the industry now and in the last few years! Oh well. If he created this industry, I guess it's his to trash, right?
    Hey Doc. I've followed PA's career for quite a while now. Just out of curiousity, how do you believe that he has trashed the industry? I have not seen the other thread (presumably at bb.com) that the previous poster referred to, so I don't know what was said b/t the two of you.

  21. Ahhh, burn him at the stake! Why do so many care? I'm sure he's worried about all of you. He got careless, greedy, whatever you wanna call it. Now he'll pay.

  22. He's burned many a bridge but I still don't wish that on him. The feds will keep on him because they can now show they have the guy who corrupted their sacred atheletes. He may not serve much if any time but this will haunt him forever.

  23. Quote Originally Posted by AgentOrange
    Hey Doc. I've followed PA's career for quite a while now. Just out of curiousity, how do you believe that he has trashed the industry? I have not seen the other thread (presumably at bb.com) that the previous poster referred to, so I don't know what was said b/t the two of you.
    Some of it is known and some is not commonly known, but it is not my style or place to make this any harder for him by discussing "trashy" stuff. I may get pissy with him from time to time, but I never talk about private stuff like that, I'm sure you can understand. Do some digging bro and tell me what conclusion you come to.

    I would be surprised if they really got him. I know he must have the best of the best lawyers. And I didn't say he trashed the industry. I just said, since he really created it all or at least redefined it (starting with Andro), I guess it's only fair that it should be his to trash. It's really not fair though, because there are so many snakes trying to cut each other down in this industry right now. They could all team up and really achieve something working together. I've stressed this for a long time now! I know, I know, I'm a dreamer, not a business man. But companies were really starting to bring some amazing products to market over the last few years and it sure didn't take long for a little greed, ego, and finger pointing to ruin it for the consumer. It just makes me sad mostly.

  24. Agreed Doc. The pharmacuetical companies are at least wise enough to band together to lobby for a better playing field in which they can all compete with each other. Supplement companies are nowhere near that bright. They don't see the big picture and their myopic stance only serves to keep them divided and weak.

    Contrary to popular belief, it does not take billions of dollars to get heard by Congress..of course, it certainly doesn't hurt. It takes a united front with lots of voices, lots of postitive public exposure and a message that the public can relate or sympathize with.

    PA and the other supp companies have squandered these opportunities. They'll now spend their days being hounded like rats in a house full of cats.

  25. 1 man can fight and lose, an army can fight and win. Now is DEFINITELY not the time to be playing a game of mine is better than yours. It's time to stand together or surely you will hang seperately!
    ROB
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. PA's 6-oxo study
    By MarcusG in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-16-2004, 08:52 PM
  2. Posted by PA on bb.com
    By larmenta in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-11-2003, 02:45 AM
  3. PA has a point
    By Dwight Schrute in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 09-20-2003, 10:27 PM
  4. Warning: Finagenx is a lie! from PA
    By sicosico in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-13-2003, 09:47 PM
  5. Any PA bros..feed stores selling fina?
    By wardog in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-13-2003, 09:58 PM
Log in
Log in