PA Indicted

diamonddave

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I just got this info in an e-mail. Just thought some may find it interesting.

Patrick Arnold Indicted on Three Counts of Illegally Distributing Performance-Enhancing Drugs

United States Attorney Kevin V. Ryan announced that a federal grand jury in San Francisco indicted Patrick Arnold, of Champaign, Illinois, today on a 3-count indictment charging 1) conspiracy to distribute anabolic steroids, 2) conspiracy to defraud consumers and the United States by introducing misbranded drugs into interstate commerce, and 3) introduction and delivery of the misbranded drug tetrahydragestrinone, also known as “The Clear” and THG, into interstate commerce with the intent to defraud and mislead. This indictment is the result of an investigation by IRS–Criminal Investigation and the Food and Drug Administration, Office of Criminal Investigations.
According to the indictment, Mr. Arnold, 39, an organic chemist and prohormone manufacturer in Champaign, Illinois, is charged with conspiring with Victor Conte, the President of the Bay Area Lab Cooperative (Balco), and others to misbrand and to distribute the following drugs to professional athletes without adequate labeling, directions, and warnings regarding its use...
Full Story: http://blog.mesomorphosis.com/news/archives/2005/11/patrick-arnold-indicted-on-steroids-distribution.html

StanChampion

StanChampion

Awards
  • Established
Good luck to PA.

Hmmm #2 should be interesting. #1 and #3 bla bla bla. :)

mywetnightmares

Kyra Gracie= my future wife
Awards
  • Established
I hope they don't stick it. If it were some other case I don't think they would, but due to the public's ignorance, I worry.

redraiderdave

Awards
  • Established
The outcome of #2 worries me. It could steer the direction the government takes regarding supplement regualtion in the future. Hope everything works out for PA.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
The bad thing about this for PA is that the governments' sacrificial lamb in the BALCO fiasco. IF there was no law prohibiting him from making THG and he gets a fair trial then he may not be so screwed after all BUT the court system will always think of so many charges to press so you never know. Bottom line, if they want to screw him they will.

sikdogg

sikdogg

Hang'n & Bang'n
Awards
  • Established
I got this from BB.com... check out the bold.

This should serve to remind us to be mindfull of what we post on message boards...

Illinois Chemist Is Indicted in BALCO Scandal

By Amy Shipley
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, November 4, 2005; Page E01

Illinois chemist Patrick Arnold supplied anabolic steroids to Victor Conte, the mastermind of the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative (BALCO) drug scandal that ensnared more than a dozen prominent U.S. and international athletes, federal authorities said in a three-count indictment released yesterday.

Arnold also provided steroids to the coach of the two Greek sprinters who withdrew from the 2004 Summer Olympics in Athens after skipping drug tests, according to the indictment.

Arnold, 39, a highly regarded dietary supplement manufacturer who brought to the market the now-illegal steroid product known as andro (androstenedione), is charged with creating and distributing three steroids designed to avoid detection in standard sport drug screens: norbolethone, DMT (or madol) and THG, the most well-known steroid at the center of the BALCO scandal which is also known as "the clear."

A number of prominent athletes, including baseball players Barry Bonds, Jason Giambi and Gary Sheffield, and sprinters Marion Jones, Tim Montgomery and Kelli White, had ties to BALCO.

Authorities alleged that Arnold sent packages of THG to Conte, a friend in Houston and overseas to Chris Tsekos, the coach of the Greek sprinters Costas Kenteris and Ekaterina Thanou, who were accused by Greek authorities of staging a motorcycle crash to explain their absence from drug tests the night before the Olympic Opening Ceremonies. Their case, which has caused great embarrassment in Greece, is now before the Court of Arbitration for Sport in Lausanne, Switzerland. Federal officials said they found vials of THG, DMT and norbolethone in a storage locker discovered during a Sept., 2003, raid of Conte's lab in Burlingame, Calif., and that Conte referred to Arnold as "the clearman" in e-mails.

"Today's indictment is a direct result of what began as the BALCO investigation and the continuing hard work and dedication of the whole investigative team," IRS-Criminal Investigation Special Agent in Charge, Roger L. Wirth said.

Arnold, who was not in custody yesterday and could not be reached for comment, faces a maximum of 13 years in prison and a fine of $750,000 if convicted on the charges of conspiracy to distribute anabolic steroids, conspiracy to defraud by distributing misbranded drugs and the introduction and delivery of THG into the market. Two others, Conte and Bonds's personal trainer, were indicted in February 2003 on steroid charges in connection with the BALCO scandal.

Conte was sentenced to four months in jail and four months probation as part of a plea deal that was approved last month; trainer Greg Anderson received three months in jail and three months probation.

Authorities said they relied on information from 2002 U.S. Olympic bobsledder Gea Johnson, who described herself as a friend of Arnold's for two or three years, to confirm his identity in a series of postings to a public message board at http://bodybuilding.com in which he boasted of having synthesized steroids since 1991.

Arnold apparently thought he had escaped sanction in connection with the BALCO scandals, writing on the message board Aug. 1, "I have learned that the only crime in selling one of these compounds is a minor FDA violation . . . really, as much as the feds may want to make an example of me, with the way the law is written there is not much that can be done. Certainly they may make a media and political controversy out of it. But I don't care."
Arnold's lab was raided by federal investigators in September.

Arnold also said in a June 2001 e-mail to his Houston-based friend Miles Werre, who authorities said admitted making a testosterone-based cream for Conte, that "I am sending you . . . a designer roid dissolved in propylene glycol. The designer stuff is very secret and very potent. It is currently being used by several high profile athletes, some of whom are having phenomenal success in their sports right now."

The indictment from the U.S. Attorney's Office in the Northern District of California also said Conte warned Greek track coach Andreas Linardatos that athletes should stop using THG because authorities had discovered it.

Arnold, who helps run Proviant Technologies in Champaign, Ill., and sells supplements through the Ergopharm line, first gained fame after his andro was used in 1998 by former St. Louis Cardinals slugger Mark McGwire.

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
I don't approve of PA's dialogue and actions at times, but credit the man for serious innovation in the biz--and appreciate him for that. I hope he fairs well, because it's the gov't I dislike in the whole crackdown thing. I do think, however, that the irresponsible actions of some supp co's (i.e. greed, for lack of better terminology) has contributed to what we now are experiencing--and probably will "seal the deal" in some regards in terms of further restrictive legislation.

I just want to give a shout out to those reputable companies who still lead the industry in innovation and concern themselves with safety and ethics, as well as in preserving our rights to legally supplement!

shootmeagain

Awards
  • Established
Proviant issued this release on November 3rd:

We are cooperating with authorities to ensure that this matter is properly investigated; we are confident that their findings will ultimately absolve Patrick of any suggestion of wrongdoing.

Patrick has a respected reputation as a chemist in the nutritional supplement industry. He has been instrumental in pioneering a wide range of popular dietary products, including fat-loss products, protein powders and cellular energizers.

While we do not wish to try this case in the press, I would like to underscore that Patrick has always sought to conduct his business in a professional manner and with strict adherence to the law. We look forward to assisting authorities in resolving this matter, and have no further comments.

asap nutrition

Awards
  • Established
I just got this info in an e-mail. Just thought some may find it interesting.
I really hate that this has happen to such a fine gentlemen. I hope he doesn't get much time. I really looked up to Mr. Arnold. Really admire him and his work.

AgentOrange

Awards
I really hate that this has happen to such a fine gentlemen. I hope he doesn't get much time. I really looked up to Mr. Arnold. Really admire him and his work.
He certainly changed (or helped to change) sports nutrition industry. It wasn't too long ago that the "best" supp in the industry was EndoPro. Andro6 was a big step and PA hasn'nt really looked back. It's my understanding that PA did a lot of the research for DD's articles, so he should probably get some credit there as well.

One of the residual benefits of MM2K was that BBs became more sophisticated about science and biology. Thus, the standard for what a product must do in terms of results has been raised.

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
Again, props to PA for all he has done. That said, I object to some of his antics. For example, I just read on Vitamin Shoppe's site an updated article in which PA now retracts the whole notion that AMP is best used about 3X/week because it loses its efficacy if used beyond that. This idea (which he seems to have come up with) has been validated on just about every board by innumerable testers and consumers alike--AMP is well suited for max results when not overused. It is clear now however, that suddely someone realized that you sell a hell of a lot more AMP when you suggest that this is NOT the case, and it's now advisable to use AMP every day. To me, this reeks of insincerity, greed, and all the other crap I hate about the supp industry. Nobody freak out here; again, this is just my honest feeling/opinion.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
Oh wow, I'm not even sure what to say!

DmitryWI

DmitryWI

I know nothing...
Awards
  • Established
LOL Dr.D, you don't like him or something? I wonder why? Because he is such fine gentleman... NOT

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
LOL Dr.D, you don't like him or something? I wonder why? Because he is such fine gentleman... NOT
It's not that I don't like him, it's just that people still don't realize he's the biggest reason there is so much heat on the industry now and in the last few years! Oh well. If he created this industry, I guess it's his to trash, right?

DmitryWI

DmitryWI

I know nothing...
Awards
  • Established
I'm being sarcastic, Dr.D, and I read your argument with him on his board, and you didn't handle it the best way, I guess he got under your skin pretty bad, I hope you feel better now. Don't let him get you, you are better man than him. Good luck and God bless.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I suppose Captain Arnold is going down with the SS Prohormone. It's sad that anyone has to do time for a bunch of hormones and to "protect sports". I really think sports should take care of itself.

AgentOrange

Awards
Yeah, I suppose Captain Arnold is going down with the SS Prohormone. It's sad that anyone has to do time for a bunch of hormones and to "protect sports". I really think sports should take care of itself.
An indictment does not mean that he is "going down." It is serious, but he has good lawyers and should be able to manage a sound defense.

AgentOrange

Awards
It's not that I don't like him, it's just that people still don't realize he's the biggest reason there is so much heat on the industry now and in the last few years! Oh well. If he created this industry, I guess it's his to trash, right?
Hey Doc. I've followed PA's career for quite a while now. Just out of curiousity, how do you believe that he has trashed the industry? I have not seen the other thread (presumably at bb.com) that the previous poster referred to, so I don't know what was said b/t the two of you.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Ahhh, burn him at the stake! Why do so many care? I'm sure he's worried about all of you. He got careless, greedy, whatever you wanna call it. Now he'll pay.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
He's burned many a bridge but I still don't wish that on him. The feds will keep on him because they can now show they have the guy who corrupted their sacred atheletes. He may not serve much if any time but this will haunt him forever.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
Hey Doc. I've followed PA's career for quite a while now. Just out of curiousity, how do you believe that he has trashed the industry? I have not seen the other thread (presumably at bb.com) that the previous poster referred to, so I don't know what was said b/t the two of you.
Some of it is known and some is not commonly known, but it is not my style or place to make this any harder for him by discussing "trashy" stuff. I may get pissy with him from time to time, but I never talk about private stuff like that, I'm sure you can understand. Do some digging bro and tell me what conclusion you come to.

I would be surprised if they really got him. I know he must have the best of the best lawyers. And I didn't say he trashed the industry. I just said, since he really created it all or at least redefined it (starting with Andro), I guess it's only fair that it should be his to trash. It's really not fair though, because there are so many snakes trying to cut each other down in this industry right now. They could all team up and really achieve something working together. I've stressed this for a long time now! I know, I know, I'm a dreamer, not a business man. But companies were really starting to bring some amazing products to market over the last few years and it sure didn't take long for a little greed, ego, and finger pointing to ruin it for the consumer. It just makes me sad mostly.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Agreed Doc. The pharmacuetical companies are at least wise enough to band together to lobby for a better playing field in which they can all compete with each other. Supplement companies are nowhere near that bright. They don't see the big picture and their myopic stance only serves to keep them divided and weak.

Contrary to popular belief, it does not take billions of dollars to get heard by Congress..of course, it certainly doesn't hurt. It takes a united front with lots of voices, lots of postitive public exposure and a message that the public can relate or sympathize with.

PA and the other supp companies have squandered these opportunities. They'll now spend their days being hounded like rats in a house full of cats.

GREENFEATHER

GREENFEATHER

Awards
1 man can fight and lose, an army can fight and win. Now is DEFINITELY not the time to be playing a game of mine is better than yours. It's time to stand together or surely you will hang seperately!
ROB

telfat

Awards
Writeup in today's Chicago Tribune

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-0511130136nov13,1,2132504.story?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed Hardly in the clear By David Haugh Tribune staff reporter Published November 13, 2005 CHAMPAIGN -- Visible from Interstate 57, down a bumpy road that becomes narrower than a lane of the Dan Ryan Expressway, surrounded by acres of farmland and a campground bordering a creek, a tan three-story stone building sits. A sign in the front lawn of the 40,000-square-foot facility identifies the address as 309 W. Hensley, but the name of the company, Proviant Technologies, is not obvious on any of the site's exterior walls. Champaign man: Respected chemist or designer of performance-enhancing drugs? The BALCO probe focuses on Patrick Arnold. The place blends quietly into a nook of northern Champaign County so remote that two young men felt comfortable enough one day last week during the noon hour to urinate in the middle of an adjacent cornfield, behind a tractor. The odometer says it is 130 miles from Chicago, but it feels farther. In this setting is where the federal government believes the mother of international performance-enhancing drug scandals, BALCO--with arms that reach from here to San Francisco to China and Greece--was born. Inside the walls of Proviant's laboratory is where a federal indictment alleges Patrick Arnold, the Champaign chemist who invented "andro," illegally obtained anabolic steroids from China that he synthesized into a human-growth hormone and shipped to Bay Area Laboratory Cooperative founder Victor Conte, among others. A federal grand jury in San Francisco representing the Northern District of California indicted Arnold, 39, on three counts of illegally distributing the drugs. Facing up to 13 years in prison and $750,000 in fines, Arnold entered a plea of not guilty Wednesday and was released on a $100,000 recognizance bond. "I don't want to talk about this, I can't, and my attorneys are the only ones you can talk to, so don't call me," an agitated Arnold said on the phone from his Champaign apartment. His San Francisco-based attorney, Nanci Clarence, called Arnold "a respected chemist and researcher in the field of nutritional supplements" who will be found not guilty. Others such as Don Catlin, the world-renowned founder of the Olympic Analytical Lab at UCLA, consider the indictment of Arnold the biggest development yet in the BALCO case. Catlin helped ignite the BALCO investigation in 2003 with the discovery of a syringe anonymously sent to the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency that was filled with tetrahydragestrinone, or THG--also known as "the clear" and later linked to Arnold. "I think Conte is just the distributor--he doesn't make the things like Patrick Arnold can make things," said Catlin, known in the industry as the "doping detective." "So indicting Arnold is much more foundational and at the core of this issue than Conte was." Conte, the chief distributor in a scheme that implicated some of the sporting world's most elite athletes such as Marion Jones and Barry Bonds, was sentenced to four months in prison and four months' home confinement in a plea agreement. Greg Anderson, Bonds' personal trainer, was sentenced to three months in jail and three months' home confinement for his role. Arnold, accused of misbranding and sending performance-enhancing drugs from Champaign to BALCO that were found in a storage locker rented to Conte, will continue his defense Nov. 30 during his next scheduled court appearance in San Francisco. He is the fifth person to be charged in the BALCO case. The company for which Arnold is listed as a secretary, Proviant Technologies, issued a statement after the indictment that said: "Patrick has a respected reputation as a chemist in the nutritional supplement industry . . . [and] has always sought to conduct his business in a professional manner and strict adherence to the law." Proviant President Ramlakhan Boodram declined through a spokesman to discuss his relationship with Arnold, and attempts to contact any colleagues at the business were stymied at the main entrance. "Visitor by appointment only," a sign read. Asked if arranging such an appointment were possible, a receptionist replied as she shut the door firmly, "I'm sorry, there is nobody from our office who is going to be talking to you today." `Doesn't make any sense' Joseph Arnold, Patrick's father, who lives in Guilford, Conn., was even less enthusiastic about defending his youngest son publicly. He professes to believe in his innocence but was loathe to elaborate the reasons over the phone because of lessons he says he learned during the investigation. "I think I've had my phone tapped, so I'm very wary of these kind of calls," Joseph Arnold said. "He's a wonderful young man, a perfect gentleman who would not be inclined to do the things he's accused of. It doesn't make any sense." Raised in a home where both parents were school administrators, Arnold was a high school wrestler who became a bodybuilder but quickly gained notice for his brainpower as much as his brawn. He graduated from the University of New Haven with a degree in chemistry that led him toward a career as a synthetic-organic chemist for a noted chemical company. Arnold was working and living in his parents' home in Connecticut when Stan Antosh, then the chief executive officer of a supplements lab in Palm Springs, Calif., offered him a job at Osmo as a researcher at the recommendation of a friend even before meeting him in person. Not long after he was hired, Arnold devoted hours to translating German patents and came across the formula for a nasal spray made up partly of androstene, a hormone the former East German Olympic team used to build strength in athletes. China also produced the chemical in large quantities. Deregulation in the supplement industry in the mid-1990s eased restrictions on manufacturers, opening the door for Arnold to develop and market androstenedione in pill form. By the time St. Louis Cardinals slugger Mark McGwire had made the supplement "andro" a part of baseball history in the summer of 1998, Arnold had increased Osmo's profits 2,000 percent. He became known in the business as the "father of prohormones" and relocated far away from the supplement industry's spotlight to Seymour, Ill., where he formed his own research company before joining forces with Boodram at Proviant. Andro made Arnold such a major player in his profession that The Sporting News named him one of the 100 most powerful people in sports. Fame--or infamy? Fame empowered Arnold. He fancied his role as a guru and relished offering advice, writing for bodybuilding magazines and spreading his message on supplements to whoever would listen. Called a "megaphone for the industry" by one bodybuilding magazine, Arnold formed a lobbyist group aimed at influencing legislators to legalize prohormones. "Patrick had a good reputation for being ingenious," said Steve Downs, chairman of the World National Bodybuilding Federation. "But I think the whole BALCO thing from the beginning, and this included, I don't want to say vindicated, but pleased people who are taking this problem with anabolic steroids seriously." In an affidavit that supports Arnold's indictment, one e-mail exchange with professional bodybuilder Milos Sarcev quotes Arnold as bragging about making a "side career" out of developing designer supplements. One eager bodybuilder so valued Arnold's input regarding supplements and steroids that, partly in jest, he wanted to know "where to send money, gold or kidneys." Arnold responded with instructions to send cash to a post office box. Arnold also liked sharing his knowledge on Internet message boards such as www.bodybuilding.com. Between June 2002 and September 2005, investigators tallied 8,284 posts under the name Patrick Arnold and used that information against him with the grand jury. "There may be some [chemists who] know certain aspects of pharmacology more than I do, but when you add up overall knowledge of chemistry and pharmacology, I will go up against the best of them," Arnold allegedly posted in a forum last August. "I know by heart how to make most every steroid." In the eyes of authorities monitoring the message boards, one man's boast was another's admission of guilt. After Internal Revenue Service investigator Jeff Novitzky discovered in August 2002 a check for $1,100 from Conte to Arnold, Arnold's bank records were seized. An examination of those documents, which helped navigate the BALCO maze for officials, traced the origin of the scandal all the way to China. Paper trail Records show that between March 2002 and September 2003 Arnold made 11 wire transfers totaling $10,200 into two Chinese banks. Arnold is alleged to have purchased the anabolic steroid gestrinone, used to produce THG. The drug is available primarily in China off a Web site called thinkerchem.com that advertises the sale of anabolic steroids for research purposes. Further investigation also revealed that the Demetrios Air Freight Co., based in Greece, had made four separate deposits totaling $5,000 in Arnold's bank account during that same time frame. Authorities consider that payment to Arnold for supplying "the clear," or THG, to Demetrios Tsiaousolpoulo, the company's owner. Tsiaousolpoulo's father and noted Greek track and field coach Chris Tsekos are good friends, the indictment claims. According to the affidavit, Arnold sent four separate shipments of the clear substance that were forwarded to Tsekos for use by his athletes. In August 2002 in an e-mail to another Greek track and field coach, Andreas Linardatos, Conte described Arnold as "the clearman." On Sept. 3, 2003, during an interview with Novitzky, Conte identified Arnold as the supplier of the clear to BALCO and colleagues in Greece. Conte had stored THG in a storage locker along with supplies of norbolethone, another anabolic steroid that fit the legal definition of a controlled substance that had not been produced since the 1960s, and desoxymethyltestosterone, or DMT. Federal agents found all three performance-enhancing drugs in Conte's locker next to a box with a postmark "Champaign, Ill." with a return address that matched Arnold's post office box. Arnold also told Conte in an e-mail in May 2002 that he was providing technical advice for banned U.S. cyclist Tammy Thomas on how to fight her positive drug test for norbolethone, which is now illegal thanks to the Anabolic Steroid Control Act in 2004. Last January the government also banned the prohormone 1-AD, the top seller for Arnold's company Ergopharm, an arm of Proviant. Finally, an indictment A bad year got worse for Arnold last month when federal agents from the IRS criminal division and U.S. Food and Drug Administration executed search warrants at his home and laboratory at Proviant, where they obtained enough evidence to gain an indictment. The FDA became involved in February 2004 and even inspected Proviant after the mother of a teenager who had purchased prohormones from Arnold's company complained about their effects on her son. Even if Arnold knew the walls had been closing in for some time, he maintained as strong a front as one might expect from a muscle man. Sixty days before the raid, Arnold shared his confidence, as he was wont to do, with his bodybuilding buddies in cyberspace from a computer in Champaign. "As much as the feds may want to make an example of me, with the way the law is written, there is not much that can be done," Arnold posted on a bodybuilding.com message board. "Certainly they may make a media and political controversy out of it. But I don't care." - - - Cast of BALCO characters Barry Bonds of the San Francisco Giants is the biggest name to have been accused of using steroids in connection with BALCO. Victor Conte, BALCO's founder, was sentenced to four months in jail and four months' home confinement for distributing performance enhancers. Greg Anderson, Bonds' personal trainer, got three months in jail and three months of home confinement in the BALCO case. Chris Tsekos, a Greek track coach, is accused of receiving four shipments of "the clear" from Patrick Arnold. ---------- [email protected]