Captain Obvious Strikes Again!! Eating right is GOOD FOR YOU!!!:)

1. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.02%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Captain Obvious Strikes Again!! Eating right is GOOD FOR YOU!!!:)

OMG! You can live healthier by changing your diet??!! No Way!!! But whatever will we do without our HFCS infused Cambell's Tomato Soup??

I shouldnt even have taken up bandwith with this post because its so blatently obvious that it hurts. I thought you'd all get a snicker though...I think that sometimes, we take it for granted that a healthy diet is part of our lives and forget how bad most of our country really eats.

http://articles.health.msn.com/id/100109875

Are Magic Beans the Real Deal?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

by Marin Gazzaniga for MSN Health & Fitness

More on this in Health & Fitness
    Statins Don't Affect Breast Cancer Risk
    Hormone May Be Key to Fat Digestion
    High Blood Pressure Can Be Lethal in Overweight
    Medical Encyclopedia

You need to lower your cholesterol—can you do it with diet? “On average, dietary changes lower cholesterol by 10 to 20 percent. A lot depends on how bad the diet was to start off with,” says Dr. Roger Blumenthal, a cardiologist and spokesman for the American Heart Association’s “Cholesterol Low Down” campaign. So what’s a high-LDL person who gags at the sight of tofu to do?

We don’t need to tell you again to eat more fruits and vegetables. Everyone should be eating more of these—period. Eat a salad a day, and go easy on the cheese, bacon bits and heavy dressings. Ideal salad ingredients include greens, beans, sunflower seeds and dressings made with olive or canola oil. Add a veggie to your lunch and dinner. Eat fruits at snack time, and put some on your cereal in the morning. It’s that simple.

Even if you’re eating your greens, though, you could be doing more. Here are some of the five best cholesterol-lowering foods around.

Soy far soy good. Studies have shown that three to six servings of soy protein (about 25 grams) a day can lower cholesterol. If you don’t like tempeh or tofu, what are your options? “There are lots of soy-fortified products on the market now,” says Jeannie Moloo, a registered dietitian and spokeswoman for American Dietetic Association. Check your supermarket for edamame (soybeans), soy milk (a one-cup serving is 7 grams), soy nuts (15 grams per serving), soy ice cream and cereals, crackers and chips made with soy protein.

I could really go for a legume. Chances are you don’t even know what a legume (pronounced lay-goom) is. “A lot of people think legumes are vegetables,” says Moloo. (Well, in our defense, they are … in France.) Here in the U.S., however, legumes are beans (any kind) and lentils. Eating three half-cup servings a week is recommended. And you don’t have to cook them from scratch—use canned beans. Piece of cake. To spice up your bean eating, try ethnic recipes—Indian dal, for example, is a delicious lentil dish. Replace one meat serving a week with rice and beans or a bean burrito. Sprinkle some garbanzo, cannellini or kidney beans on your salad or have a hummus sandwich. Magical beans, indeed.

Oats, nature’s sponge. What’s all the hype about oatmeal? “Oats are very high in soluble fiber,” explains Moloo. So? “Think of soluble fiber as a sponge actually absorbing cholesterol and carrying it out of your system.” Three grams of oat fiber a day has been shown to decrease total cholesterol and LDL. That translates to one and a half cups of cooked oatmeal. Does it have to be steel cut and slow cooked? “Even quick-cook or instant oatmeal can provide a good amount of soluble fiber.” So, what if we sprinkle some oat bran on a doughnut? “Let’s just say if you want a snack, a packet of instant oatmeal trumps a candy bar.” Flax is good, too. Not only does it have soluble fiber, but it’s high in omega-3 fatty acids and lignans—also good for cholesterol. Sprinkle just two to three tablespoons a day of ground flax seed on cereal, yogurt or salads. (But start slowly, flax gets the bowels moving—which can be another benefit for some.)

Sometimes you feel like a nut. Why has everyone been eating nuts with abandon lately? “Monounsaturated fats can lower the bad LDL cholesterol and modestly raise the good HDL cholesterol,” says Blumenthal of the American Heart Association. Monounsaturated fats are in nuts and seeds (pumpkin, sunflower, etc.), avocados and various oils, such as vegetable, olive, safflower, sunflower and canola. This doesn’t mean you can inhale a can of Planter’s. Remember foods rich in fats are also calorie heavy, so limit your serving size: Use a teaspoon of oil on a salad and eat no more than an ounce of nuts at one sitting. “A good way to estimate a serving size is to fill a mint tin the size of a deck of cards with your favorite nuts,” dietician Moloo suggests. Or you can check the serving size on containers for how many nuts in an ounce.

Multi-tasking foods. There’s a new food group in town called “functional foods.” These are everyday foods fortified to make them healthier or new delectables custom-designed to prevent disease. For instance, “Benecol” and “Take Control” are spreads that can replace margarine or butter. They use plant sterols and stanols (a plant source that acts similarly to a soluble fiber). Plant sterols and stanols are also added to yogurt, orange juice, salad dressings and granola bars—just a few of many designer cholesterol-lowering foods hitting market shelves.
    Each of these foods can benefit your health, but they’re most effective as part of a health-conscious eating plan. “Ultimately what you want is a well-balanced diet with these food groups,” says Blumenthal. And don’t forget a dash of common sense. Even if you’ve made an effort to put these foods on your menu, that isn’t an excuse to eat whatever else you want. As Blumenthal points out, “You still need to minimize simple carbs, desserts, red meats and fried foods.”

Lowering cholesterol is just some of the magic that beans--and all of these healthy eating options--can impart. Making these foods part of your daily diet can also lower blood pressure and improve cardiovascular health. So go ahead, make Jack proud.

2. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.53%

Revolutionary...
  3. How may I help you today?
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.46%

Don't forget your 3 to 6 servings of soy a day...

Am I the only person who doesn't give a crap how unhealthy anyone else's diet is? Since when have we started to define personal choices as a public health crisis? And do we really want bandwagon jumpers defining a healthy diet for all? Last spring I had to speak to a dietician, and she was full of bad advice, most of it from the out-dated USDA recommendations. Speaking of which, anyone else bothered by the idea that the US dept of Ag set up what has been considered a 'healthy' diet for the last fifty years?

Also, that bit about 'functional foods' is bothersome, but I can't nut shell it at the moment. I think it stems from my observations of human nature, but if you put out a 'healthy cholesterol' butter, doesn't that just give stupid people an excuse to slather more butter on their foods than they previously did? It's like, "Hey, this butter is actually HEALTHY! I'm gonna use it a LOT!"
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.02%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Also, that bit about 'functional foods' is bothersome, but I can't nut shell it at the moment. I think it stems from my observations of human nature, but if you put out a 'healthy cholesterol' butter, doesn't that just give stupid people an excuse to slather more butter on their foods than they previously did? It's like, "Hey, this butter is actually HEALTHY! I'm gonna use it a LOT!"
    Yeah, it does. When it comes to taking care of themselves, most people are hopelessly lacking in both knowledge and motivation, and just looking for an excuse to eat in excess. Case in point: I have an overweight friend whose doctor told him he needed to eat more carbohydrates because he was lacking energy. The next time I saw him, he was shoveling half a cherry pie in his mouth, quoting his doctors advice to eat more carbs!
  5. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.26%

Good read.
  6. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.59%

Its Darwinism. Survival of the fittest. Some people simply put aren't suited for living a healthy life. 10,000 years ago, these were probably the idiots who burned themselves in the fire for trying to cook meat without thinking on how to cook it without getting burned, assuming they were able to hunt for the animal themselves.
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.11%

Heh i dont care about anyone...its your choice do what you want. So let them eat unhealthy, and be unhealthy.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Cordy 5 is good for you!
    By CJPopovich in forum Millennium Sport Technologies
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-09-2008, 04:54 PM
  2. Women: Dark Chocolate is Good for You!
    By FemBot in forum Female Fitness
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-22-2007, 08:09 PM
  3. Laughter is good for you
    By cable626 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-11-2005, 10:37 PM
  4. Being active is good for you!
    By mghoodlum in forum News and Articles
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-22-2005, 11:37 PM
  5. beer is good for you