rrgg

Awards
  • Established
Another story here:
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/10/18/MNG5PFA84G11.DTL

The key sentences in the article,

" 'They were cheating and you helped them do that,' [the judge] told Conte. "

"No athletes were indicted."

It's amazing the judge and/or D.A. always think helping a cheater is worse than actually cheating. This is despite the fact that we have sworn testimony from athletes admitting to illegal steroid use. But of course athletes and celebrities are special people above the rest of us second class citizens.

shyboy

Awards
MSNBC ran the story today & finished it by saying to FDA is now
going after the suppliers of these "steroids" for prosecution & specificly
named Patrick Arnold & them raiding his lab & home recently. Sounds like
PA is the new target for the Feds.
They've gone after Custom, PA, ALRI is cancelling 4HD before it is even made,
Not a good sign for the industry.

SVTMuscle

SVTMuscle

Awards
He is the guy who put sterioids in like bottles of ZMA and stuff right?

wastedwhiteboy2

wastedwhiteboy2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
get ready for the second wave of banning. stock up on your dhea!

ryanbodybuilder

Awards
  • Established
god this is horrible.....why cant they just let people have fun and get big at the same time? lol

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Conte and Anderson got a slap on the wrist. 4months in jail, 3months in jail, and 4months, 3months of house arrest respectively.
conte is a pig though

for steroid distribution and money laundering??

SVTMuscle

SVTMuscle

Awards
Conte and Anderson got a slap on the wrist. 4months in jail, 3months in jail, and 4months, 3months of house arrest respectively.
conte is a pig though

(Dave Chappelle voice) 5 YEARS JUST FOR WEED?!?!

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
conte is a pig though

Steroid distribution??

Last I checked THG was legal. The only thing he did wrong here is money laundering.

But it an absolute load of **** that no athletes suffered any ill will in all of this bullshit. They let celebs walk away without any punishment whatsoever.

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
Why did they put this guy in jail?

In my oppinion, in order for it to be a crime, there has to be a victim. Whos the victim in steroid use, little kids who dont want to work hard to get results so they say "oh barry does it."

Please, this is a joke. They should put real criminals in jail.

Viator

Awards
Sorry, Not Possible

Why did they put this guy in jail?"... Please, this is a joke. They should put real criminals in jail.
Spatch,

This is Lead District Attorney Viator. I regret to inform you that we can no longer put many real criminals in jail, as it doesn't seem to bother them as much as it does white-collar criminals, and therefore is not much of a punishment.

In addition, there is very little room in our prison system for murderers, rapists, kid-touchers, armed robbers, and the remaining dregs of society. You see, we are currently housing too many drug addicts, low-level drug dealers, number-runners, computer hackers, and oter non-violent criminals who pose a minimal risk to society. They're much easier to control, and we can usually collect more money in fines from them. Plus, we can string them along on probation for years, collecting EVEN MORE money from them!

Thank you for your concern regarding the greatest justice system in the world.

:hammer:

wastedwhiteboy2

wastedwhiteboy2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
thats so true. you must really be a DA or know the system well. bad thing is, its only going to get worse.

meowmeow

Awards
  • Established
Viator you hit the nail on the head. It is sad the way cops go after street prostitutes. They don't arrest them for soliciting but rather so they can search them and usually find some crack. Bingo the system wracks up a drug conviction statistic and the poor addict goes off to jail for 2 to 5 years.

What a country you Americans have.:nutkick:

Viator

Awards
thats so true. you must really be a DA or know the system well. bad thing is, its only going to get worse.
Nope, just a jaded, sarcastic writer who's been through this county's meat grinder of a justice system twice. I'd go off on a 500 word rant right now but I've gotta get to work

Viator

Awards
I'm still considering that rant... especially now that PA's gotta do a bid too. I had to resurrect this thread. Unfortunately there are no words for the rage and, dare I say, hatred I feel towards the most ass-backwards justice system on the face of the planet. At least in places like Singapore, Korea, and Iran, citizens know they risk severe physical beatings, excessive prison sentences, or even the death penalty for petty 5hit.

But here in the good 'ole U-S-of-A, the powers that be have duped law-abiding, tax-paying citizens that if by chance you do make a mistake, you'll be innocent until proven guilty! (unless you can't make bail, in which case: GUILTY!

Then you'll get a trial by a jury of your peers, unless of course, you committed a traffic violation that carries with it a jail sentence, then justice is the sole decision of some judge whos wife may not have been putting out, or who doesn't like "you people," or you remind him of that dirtbag who broke his little girl's heart 10 years ago. Well in that case you're getting locked up in some sh!t-box county jail for anywhere between 30 and 364 days.

But if you're lucky enough to get a trial by a jury of your peers, are those people really your peers? Hell no, they're people who were too stupid to come up with an excuse to get out of jury duty. Either that or they're people with an agenda. Drug charge your facing? You can bet your ass there's 4 or 5 people on that jury who lost a brother or parent or freind to an OD.

What about PA's jury? I'd give 10-1 odds that there were 2 or 3 washed up "has-been" and "never-were" athletes, pissed off that this SOB in his nice suit made millions developing substances that were (in their minds) directly responsible for their never making the NFL.

Let's not forget about the lack of police in inner-cities. No, I'm not delusional, inner-cities are seriously lacking police. The reason is that thanks to the infinite wisdom of The War on Drugs, otherrwise good police were forceably turned into soldiers. And soldiering and policing are two, completely different things. Inner-cities, even suburbs with drug problems have become war zones; occupied territory if you will. The freindly neighborhood policeman is now military personell; feared as an enemy, and no longer respected as the guardian he/she once was.

Wheewww. OK enough of that. I gotta go hit a heavybag or something.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
VC, PA and BK are true American heros. Please!!!

I have no pity for any of them. They knew they were breaking the law. They get what they deserve. They did not make a mistake. They flaunt themselves before and skirt around every loophole in the legal system to perpetuate their actions. Because there are worse crimes and criminals to be apprehended, tried and sentenced does not make these criminals free to be above the consequences of their actions.

Poor PA is doing a whole 90 days in a country club. Poor little PA wont even be there long enough to get commissary privileges. You get more time for a DUI in some states.

Rest assured that these types don't care about you, me or anyone else's right to freedom to do whatever they want, to and with their bodies. They care about the $$$. A fool believes otherwise.

Viator

Awards
Poor PA is doing a whole 90 days in a country club. Poor little PA wont even be there long enough to get commissary privileges. You get more time for a DUI in some states.
Thanks B... you just helped make my point: HYPOCRISY! I'm not upset about any of these guys going away, they knew the risks they were taking. What bothers me about the system is exactly what I wrote and the statement I quoted from you.

And IMO, as a side note, if the powers that be really wanted to get rid of DUIs instead of merely profit from them, the legislature would raise the legal limit to .18 (trashed) and make the penalty a mandatory 10 years in a hardcore, shower-rape, 23&1, state prison.

After all, it's not the guy who had 6 or 7 beers that's killing people, it's the guy who drank a 1/5th of vodka at 2 in the afternoon and T-bones a school bus... that's the guy that should be locked up. But no, he gets the same penalties as the guy coming home from dinner blowing a .08. HYPOCRISY!

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
Thanks B... you just helped make my point: HYPOCRISY! I'm not upset about any of these guys going away, they knew the risks they were taking. What bothers me about the system is exactly what I wrote and the statement I quoted from you.

And IMO, as a side note, if the powers that be really wanted to get rid of DUIs instead of merely profit from them, the legislature would raise the legal limit to .18 (trashed) and make the penalty a mandatory 10 years in a hardcore, shower-rape, 23&1, state prison.

After all, it's not the guy who had 6 or 7 beers that's killing people, it's the guy who drank a 1/5th of vodka at 2 in the afternoon and T-bones a school bus... that's the guy that should be locked up. But no, he gets the same penalties as the guy coming home from dinner blowing a .08. HYPOCRISY!
The real hypocrisy is that Conte is being sentence not for endangering the public at large but for enabling contracted performers to gain an unfair advantage in a sanctioned system(cheating) and the bulk of his time is for eluding the Federal Reserve Act mandate of complete control of the money system and the IRS income taxation scheme(money laundering)

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
Ahh.. i predicted all this, as well as PA a long time ago. This has already been practically said but ill put it as the Chief of police for my county put it,( guest visit for my Criminal Justice major class). He said:

"I love the idea of getting rid of crime and all,.. but I love the idea of a "shake" a lot more.(Obv. you guys know what a shake is..). Crime is nevrending and once you get rid of one crimnal, another pops up. So instead, us like many police forces, conduct business with many shakes so we can get as far to the top of many crimes rather than continueing to arrest those always at the bottom. So.. we find someone we suspect is a middleman or even higher in a given operation and we 'shake' him or her for what they are worth. Give them a few incentives aka short terms, no jail time, etc etc, and the confess like lil' girls, naming all their partners for reduced sentences or immuntiy. Many of them we allow to continue their crimes as we understand that it benifits us more down the road, ( he used a dealer as an example for this which surprised the hell outta me, that he would admit to that, of course this is a cj class so..). Our police department operates off this concept just as many other agencies and departments do around the nation .. in order to provide an greater "evential" reduction in crime."

The same princple that he stated in his speech to my course is the exact idea used with PA, Conte etc etc. LOl they knew he was a pig, and he would tell them anything, and chances are he told them alot more about other ppl we have yet to hear about. But w/e this isn't new, it'll keep happening, but at least thsoe reporters who leaked the Balco incident and the athletes invoved who had testimonies under immunity have been supp. indicted, and are supposed to give up their sources or go to jail. You gotta love the irony in that.:twisted:

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
but at least thsoe reporters who leaked the Balco incident and the athletes invoved who had testimonies under immunity have been supp. indicted, and are supposed to give up their sources or go to jail. You gotta love the irony in that.:twisted:
The most disturbing fact of this entire Balco case has been the amount of "leaked Grand Jury testimony, that has been used to coerse and intimidate the athletes, who by the very definition of the law are protected from such abuse. The real slap in the face is that a book was written using this same" leaked information" as its major substantive body of evidence, this is a criminal act. Instead of out rage over this obvious circumventing of our legal system the writers of this book are lauded as heroes by the sports press and most notably ESPN. This is a major league spin job by some pretty big players to conclude that a professional athlete who cheats by taking a drug is a more serious legal issue than an out right breach of the entire legal system by profiteering writers-YIKES!!!!

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
The most disturbing fact of this entire Balco case has been the amount of "leaked Grand Jury testimony, that has been used to coerse and intimidate the athletes, who by the very definition of the law are protected from such abuse. The real slap in the face is that a book was written using this same" leaked information" as its major substantive body of evidence, this is a criminal act. Instead of out rage over this obvious circumventing of our legal system the writers of this book are lauded as heroes by the sports press and most notably ESPN. This is a major league spin job by some pretty big players to conclude that a professional athlete who cheats by taking a drug is a more serious legal issue than an out right breach of the entire legal system by profiteering writers-YIKES!!!!
agreed. I was thinking the same thing lol. And what made it more hilaroius is that these reporters admitted that they knew they were breaking the law, but did it as the american people deserved the right to know the truth. LOL, last i checked, the same laws that protected free speech and peoples' rights were the same laws that protect a testimony if some one is granted immunity for testifying or aiding authorites. lol, you break one, you basicaly break what all the others stand for. It had nothin to do leting America know the truth,... it had to do with the selfish, ignorent reporters wanting another story so they can get their 2 min of fame, and their paycheck at the end of the week.

Viator

Awards
Intellectual Threads Deserve Bumps...

And this one definately qualifies. Regarding the reporters who wouldn't reveal their sources, they broke no laws. You don't see judges holding doctors, social workers, or lawyers in contempt for refusing to violate confidentiality do you? The American public should be outraged over this blatant violation of the rights guaranteed in the Fifth Amendment (I think it's the 5th). However the story got minimal coverage for less than a week.

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
And this one definately qualifies. Regarding the reporters who wouldn't reveal their sources, they broke no laws. You don't see judges holding doctors, social workers, or lawyers in contempt for refusing to violate confidentiality do you? The American public should be outraged over this blatant violation of the rights guaranteed in the Fifth Amendment (I think it's the 5th). However the story got minimal coverage for less than a week.
The 5th Amendment of the US constitution grants that no person can be forced to testify against themselves in a court of law (no matter how guilty they may be) The 5th Amendment also provides, that a person has the right to refuse to stand witness if, they "believe" that their testimony "might" incriminate them in a criminal case. A civil case can require a person to testify about the case, as long as their testimony does not imply a criminal intent of the witness.

The Grand Jury specifically grants that a witness testimony cannot be used against the witness in "any form of reciprocation" such as, criminal or civil prosecution or any civil or commercial loss due to their testimony. This is called "immunity".

When a witer uses "leaked grand jury testimony" he is usurping the rights of the witness as granted by the jury. The crime was committed by the person(s) who "leaked" the actual testimony. The writer is an "accessory after the fact", which carries the same liabilty of criminal guilt as the actual crime.

The Freedom of Speech defense ends where the Grand Jury(highest civil court in the land) grants immunity. A person specifically, a "public figure" whose image creates revenue cannot be punished by a "percieved incrimination" in a public forum, because that perception can conflict with his "right to persue happiness" by making a financial gain with respect to his name and reputation.

The writers do not have any legal right to withold their source. writers are not granted client confidetiality as doctors and clergy. The writers are "legally" required to explain how they recieved the information, because that information is what constitues the crime. The information then becomes "experienced evidence" in a now criminal case.

The writers are now in position of indictment, they are the most "prosecutable party" in the criminal case. It would be in their best legal(in this case) interest to trade their source for some form of immunity.

The very fact that they used the "illegal information" to make a profit by selling a book as oppsed to releasing it in the general public forum of a newspaper does not help their case.

It is questionable(at best) to create a profit for yourself while creating a loss for someone else by participating in an illegal act.

If I knew the soucre code for WindowsXP; I do not have the legal right to tell the public even though it would be in their best interest to know it.

Freedom of speech does not cover issues of private ownership such as source code and the "marketable reputation" of public figures

Viator

Awards
Wow Rhino, I'm impressed. Looks like I have a journalism law teacher to ***** out after i'm done posting this. You certainly know your constitutional law. And I knew I was wrong about that 5th ammendment thing. Thanks for clarifying.

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
NIce rhino lol, nice to know someone knows and studies the law as much as me,... come by lawrenceville ga sometime, ill buy ya a beer, lol.

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
nice find. its good to see the system go both ways every once and a while. Everyone is used to the sterotypical accuse and then process the convicted type of system, so its good to see the system being used to reinforce the rules and regulations that make it up.