The way space exploration should be done

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I like this too. The more we can get politics out of ANYTHING, the better it usually is. This is why I hope Arnold, as much as I like the guy, never holds a government office ever again. No need for politics in bodybuilding, either.
Same here - Im a huge Arnold fan - but you can see how politics are diluting his soul. Get your ass out of office and make Predator 3, damnit!!:)

I'd love it if there was a huge push in private industry to colonize another planet. At the rate we're going, mankind really is going to need another place to expand too..I think Earth is having trouble supporting the 6 billion humans she's got living on her as it is.

BV

davisville64

Awards
I'd love it if there was a huge push in private industry to colonize another planet. At the rate we're going, mankind really is going to need another place to expand too..I think Earth is having trouble supporting the 6 billion humans she's got living on her as it is.

BV
I think it is more of a specific REGION not being able to support its current population, not earth as a whole. I mean look at america, we have obesity problems from OVER EATING. Places like Africa have plagues and the likes because that specific area cant support its population(and dont give me crap about colonization, look at there natural resources, africa was behind Europe since forever). If we could get on mars, we could move people from less adaquate areas of earth to mars.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I think it is more of a specific REGION not being able to support its current population, not earth as a whole. I mean look at america, we have obesity problems from OVER EATING. Places like Africa have plagues and the likes because that specific area cant support its population(and dont give me crap about colonization, look at there natural resources, africa was behind Europe since forever). If we could get on mars, we could move people from less adaquate areas of earth to mars.
I agree, but as the Earth's population increases, there will be more and more regions that can't support the human population in them. If/when we do get a base on Mars, for a good while it will only be populated by the smartest/bravest of people. It would need to be for the colony to be succesful. It'll be decades before you can just move anyone to another planet.

BV

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Space exploration would have never happened in the 60's and 70's if done by private enterprise. Private enterprise is driven by profit, and no profit was made from apollo, mercury, or gemini. NASA makes some profit by charging for satellite deployment, consultation, etc, but it is still largely government funded.

Simply put, no companies will put the HUGE investment required just to get a man into orbit, especially with little or no return. It is my belief that space will be colonized by governments cooperating together, and if private enterprise ever gets involved there will have to be profits involved, which I don't see happening for a very long time, at least until space travel is fairly well standardized.

It certainly is an exciting time for humanity. Just imagine, only 100 years ago we were making our first flight and cars were just starting to be produced!

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Space exploration would have never happened in the 60's and 70's if done by private enterprise. Private enterprise is driven by profit, and no profit was made from apollo, mercury, or gemini. NASA makes some profit by charging for satellite deployment, consultation, etc, but it is still largely government funded.

Simply put, no companies will put the HUGE investment required just to get a man into orbit, especially with little or no return. It is my belief that space will be colonized by governments cooperating together, and if private enterprise ever gets involved there will have to be profits involved, which I don't see happening for a very long time, at least until space travel is fairly well standardized.

It certainly is an exciting time for humanity. Just imagine, only 100 years ago we were making our first flight and cars were just starting to be produced!
Bzzzt, wrong. Myriads of very profitable patents came from the space program. In fact, of all government programs, NASA programs make more money per dollar invested on average than any other agency. No profit from appollo, mercury, or gemini? How about the patents for microwave ovens to name just one example of the hugely profitable patents developed by NASA?

Now imagine if it had been driven by private enterprise instead? We'd have moon colonies by now. There would be an entire booming space tourism business. Heck, there would probably be friggin retirement communities on the moon. Plus with all the industrial miniturization that has to be done, you'd have a lot nicer living back home too. Many of those advances would be in energy. Government agencies inherently waste money. Successful corporations do not. If more corporations start up with similar goals to this one, expect MAJOR advances in multiple fields in the near future.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Now imagine if it had been driven by private enterprise instead? We'd have moon colonies by now. There would be an entire booming space tourism business. Heck, there would probably be friggin retirement communities on the moon. Plus with all the industrial miniturization that has to be done, you'd have a lot nicer living back home too. Many of those advances would be in energy. Government agencies inherently waste money. Successful corporations do not. If more corporations start up with similar goals to this one, expect MAJOR advances in multiple fields in the near future.
I totally agree!

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established
damn that just makes me love capitalism even more!!!

when someone is driven by the motive to succeed and make a profit they really can get things done