EPA Employees Call for Fluoridation Moratorium

Aeternitatis

Aeternitatis

Awards
  • Established
Eleven EPA employee unions have called for a moratorium on drinking water fluoridation programs. They have further asked EPA management to recognize fluoride as posing a serious cancer risk.

The unions acted in response to an apparent cover-up of evidence from the Harvard School of Dental Medicine connecting fluoridation with a seven-fold increased risk of the fatal bone cancer osteosarcoma. The unions also cited other results similar to those in the Harvard study, and recent work that links the use of silicofluoride fluoridating agents with increased lead levels in water.

Fluoridation of public water supplies began after World War II in order to fight tooth decay. Decades later, health concerns arose as cities began reporting increased bone deformities.

About 145 million American citizens regularly drink fluoridated water.

http://www.world-wire.com/news/0830050001.html

http://www.dhonline.com/articles/2005/08/30/news/local/news07.txt

wastedwhiteboy2

wastedwhiteboy2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
this has been voted down in my city many times. good thing.

Aeternitatis

Aeternitatis

Awards
  • Established
this has been voted down in my city many times. good thing.
Do you mean the act of putting fluoride into the water was voted down, or the act of removing it?

wastedwhiteboy2

wastedwhiteboy2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
the act of putting fluoride into the water was voted down.

Siznoyton

Awards
  • Established
I'd really like to read more about this. Any external verification/links someone can post? I've heard about the issue before, but wasn't sure how serious the cancer risks were.

Aeternitatis

Aeternitatis

Awards
  • Established
I'd really like to read more about this. Any external verification/links someone can post? I've heard about the issue before, but wasn't sure how serious the cancer risks were.
It seems to me that anyone who has been through a basic chemistry class should know that fluoride is damn toxic, liek the rest of the halogens.

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
true that the halogens are toxic but I really don't want to try drinking water without a chlorine treatment.. :D

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
That's another reason why I live in the mountains..tap water is pure and unchlorinated.

I'm still a little concerned about green tea extract use over the long term. Supposedly, it can have some high levels of flouride...which sucks because it's one of my favorite supps.

It's good to see them backing off on flouridating tap water though...drinking the top dog of the halogens long term just seems like a bad idea.