Doctor calls patient fat..."uh oh!"

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Doctor calls patient fat..."uh oh!"


    Doctor tells a fat lady she's fat...now she's suing and he may possibly lose his liscense to practice in the state. *sigh*

    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9063638/

    “I told a fat woman she was obese,? Bennett says. “I tried to get her attention. I told her, 'You need to get on a program, join a group of like-minded people and peel off the weight that is going to kill you.'"

    ....

    “Physicians have to be professional with patients and remember everyone is an individual. You should not be inflammatory or degrading to anyone,? said board member Kevin Costin.

    ....

    "disciplinary sanctions may range from a reprimand to the revocation of all rights to practice in the state."

    -------------------------------

    I doubt anything will come of this, but isn't it just "oh so telling" of where our society is headed? *sigh* again...damn...


  2. Did he wear a shirt saying "No fat chicks" or something..?? What kind of nonsense is this..

  3. Quote Originally Posted by kwyckemynd00
    “Physicians have to be professional with patients and remember everyone is an individual. You should not be inflammatory or degrading to anyone,? said board member Kevin Costin.
    If you're fat, you're fat. I'm so sick of these big babies that call themselves adults. If someone says that I'm tall or white or a man, I'm not going to get offended BECAUSE IT'S A FACT. If you're fat, you're fat - grow up, accept it, and do something about it before you eat yourself to death.
    Give me a break.
    •   
       


  4. I see a future where I have to fill out yet ANOTHER form at the doctor's office.

    This one saying that the doctor may tell me that I have a health problem or medical condition pertinent to my health and that this information may be unwelcome. If so, I hereby consent and agree not to sue.

    *sigh*

  5. Geez, what kind of world are we living in. I hope she doesn't get any $$$ out of it. This is PC gone out of control.

  6. Its pathetic that she is at the doctors to be told that she has problems and

    when she is informed that she is overweight she gets all willy nilly and files a
    complaint.

    "'I told a fat woman she was obese,? Bennett says.' He didnt even call her fat,
    he used the correct medical term "obese."

    So Sad

  7. I'm sick of all this PC bull**** pandering to fat people. I was fat once. When more and more people told me I was fat did I whine and bitch and moan about "you don't know how hard ti is to lose weight! wah wah wah !"? NO. I recognized the problem and got my ass into shape. I'm 5'6.5" and at one point I was 230 pounds and well over 30% bodyfat. Now I am 215 pounds and only 13% bodyfat. It was a long journey, but all it required was willpower. That's it.

    The next fat person who complains to me about persecution is only going to see my back while I walk away from their conversation. I refuse to talk to those kinds of sorry pieces of dung.

  8. I got a detention last year because some fat kid called me a "roid freak", he had a mardi gras shirt on and I responded with...

    "Mardi gras?, no wonder they call it FAT TUESDAY!"

    He didnt get any discipline for saying I use roids. (which I dont........ yet). I think mostly because the teacher was a FAT ASS aswell.

  9. Quote Originally Posted by Nullifidian
    I'm sick of all this PC bull**** pandering to fat people. I was fat once. When more and more people told me I was fat did I whine and bitch and moan about "you don't know how hard ti is to lose weight! wah wah wah !"? NO. I recognized the problem and got my ass into shape. I'm 5'6.5" and at one point I was 230 pounds and well over 30% bodyfat. Now I am 215 pounds and only 13% bodyfat. It was a long journey, but all it required was willpower. That's it.

    The next fat person who complains to me about persecution is only going to see my back while I walk away from their conversation. I refuse to talk to those kinds of sorry pieces of dung.
    YES YES YES

    I was fat once too. I was in 7th grade 245 lbs at 5'11" or so and PURE FAT, couldnt manage one pushup.


    Furthermore, if the doctor didnt say she was over weight and she died of a hear attack, who would the family blame? Not the fatty herself I guarantee you.

  10. this really just pisses me off, it's things like this that make me not want to become a doctor

  11. Quote Originally Posted by dsl
    this really just pisses me off, it's things like this that make me not want to become a doctor
    You're pre-med, DSL? I've just started M1, myself.

  12. I'm pre-pre med

  13. well, i'm just a junior but i'm taking all of the premed requirements, o. chem being the worst...lol.

  14. Quote Originally Posted by davisville64
    YES YES YES

    I was fat once too. I was in 7th grade 245 lbs at 5'11" or so and PURE FAT, couldnt manage one pushup.


    Furthermore, if the doctor didnt say she was over weight and she died of a hear attack, who would the family blame? Not the fatty herself I guarantee you.
    To top it off, it's not like I was fat some distant time in the past. I was that weight and bodyfat percentage in 2002. It took my brother's engagement for me to kick myself into shape. He was getting married, and I couldn't get a date for the life of me. Why? Because I was fat. Did I complai about women not "liking me for who I am?" or some other bull****? No. Fat people are unattractive. Period. It's a fact. If you want an attractive body, don't complain about society's standard, change your friggin body.

  15. This story just burns my arse. We as doctors have a responsibility to give people a proper diagnosis, which in this case is obesity with detrimental health consequences. If he would have said she was healthy, she would probably be suing him for improper diagnosis because in reality she is not healthy. I guess the next lawsuit will be because a doctor actually looked at the patient during an exam. I can see it now..."How dare he look at me; he has no right to do that; I'll sue him for all he's got". The F-A-C-T is that too many people in this country are lazy fat-arses, but don't want anybody to mention it...not even their health-care providers. Guess what, we are called "health-care" providers because we have a duty to help you take care of your health. Being obese is NOT healthy. I'm sure some desparate, attention-seeking lawyer will actually take this case on. No wonder our insurance is so freaking high. There should be a counter-suit against this lady for being so ridiculously stupid.

  16. doctors aren't paid to be nice. I don't she how this suit will hold up. If he said she wasn't obese, he'd be lying and she could sue him for that too.
    My Little Site about Hair Loss & Anabolics-
    hair loss from steroids dot com

  17. I'm telling you, there needs to be more people like me around that are not afraid to tell a fat chick she is too fat for her outfit instead of enablers.

  18. Quote Originally Posted by wastedwhiteboy2
    I'm telling you, there needs to be more people like me around that are not afraid to tell a fat chick she is too fat for her outfit instead of enablers.
    Oh god I know! Just because they make it in there size doesnt mean they should wear it

  19. Quote Originally Posted by davisville64
    Oh god I know! Just because they make it in there size doesnt mean they should wear it

    the bigger problem is when they don't make it in their size and they wear it anyways

  20. Quote Originally Posted by velikimajmun
    the bigger problem is when they don't make it in their size and they wear it anyways
    UGH, oh man. That one shivered my spine . Bad memories of sophamore english class.



    Also- Why is the doctors name everywhere, but we dont know the name of the fat, i mean huge, i mean obese (there we go ) woman?

  21. Quote Originally Posted by davisville64
    UGH, oh man. That one shivered my spine . Bad memories of sophamore english class.



    Also- Why is the doctors name everywhere, but we dont know the name of the fat, i mean huge, i mean obese (there we go ) woman?
    she's not fat, she's big boned. LOL.

    a woman told me one time that she couldn't lose weight because she had naturally big hips like the rest of her family. she tells me this while she's eating fried chicken dipped in ranch.

    saw a picture of her family, they're all about 2 steps short of a heart attack.

  22. she's not fat, she's big boned.
    Then she must have a huge bone in her ass ~ Kyle


  23. Quote Originally Posted by noctorum
    Then she must have a huge bone in her ass ~ Kyle

    And it must have de-calcified b/c it sho is jigglin'

  24. Quote Originally Posted by noctorum
    Then she must have a huge bone in her ass ~ Kyle


  25. Aww cry me a river you fat ass bitch. There aren't enough adjectives to explain how pissed **** like this makes me. It's right up there with that stupid lady in Texas protesting the war in Iraq.

  26. Alright. I'm in favour of the Dr here but guys... some of the stuff he apparently said to her was unreal.

    You'll never get married, have kids, etc because no man will want you being as big as you are?


    That's the gist of what he apparently said to her in addition to telling her she was fat.

    Telling someone they are obese, fat and out of shape is one thing. But the other? Uncalled for.

    I'm all for telling people how it really is but there no need to humilate and obesenly insult people as well. Those who do get off on that come and see me. I got a fist, knee and elbow your mouth can munch on for a bit.

  27. Quote Originally Posted by houseman
    Alright. I'm in favour of the Dr here but guys... some of the stuff he apparently said to her was unreal.

    You'll never get married, have kids, etc because no man will want you being as big as you are?


    That's the gist of what he apparently said to her in addition to telling her she was fat.
    If he said that, he would be wrong. Very unprofessional, especially coming from a doctor. But I'm sure it's what most of us would like to say. I can't explain how much obesity sickens me. The next worse thing after smoking.

  28. Quote Originally Posted by natedogg
    If he said that, he would be wrong. Very unprofessional, especially coming from a doctor. But I'm sure it's what most of us would like to say. I can't explain how much obesity sickens me. The next worse thing after smoking.
    Thinking it and saying it are two very different things.

    And, I knew two people who are what I would call obese. Both have health issues that make life very difficult to workout yet by looking at them you'd know no different.

    Would these two people sicken you?

    I understand what you are saying. I really do but we need to stop judging people based on what we see because what we see is not usually what really IS. You know?

  29. Let me rephrase myself. Obesity that is caused by the person not having any self control sickens me. For instance, the family of fat asses eating the all you can eat pizza at a pizza bar. There are people out there that have legitamate health problems/conditions that they have little control over that cause them to gain weight. My aunt has thyroid problems and she has had to fight weight problems all of her life. Despite that, she has always tried to exercise and eat healthy so her weight wouldn't get too out of control.

  30. what people are on the outside is a respresentation of what they are on the inside. I have fat relatives and friends but the people I hang out with the most are the leaner active ones that can keep up with me when I want to act 16 instead of eating junk food all the time.

  31. i thought it was a doctors job to tell the patient the truth.....you know it could save her life......but the bitch has the mind to call out the doctor that basically told her she is fat, when she knows good and well she aint a ****in fitness model infront of that mirror.

  32. Quote Originally Posted by houseman
    Thinking it and saying it are two very different things.

    And, I knew two people who are what I would call obese. Both have health issues that make life very difficult to workout yet by looking at them you'd know no different.

    Would these two people sicken you?

    I understand what you are saying. I really do but we need to stop judging people based on what we see because what we see is not usually what really IS. You know?
    I think if lance armstrong can beat cancer and then win bike races, they can atleast be in decent shape.

  33. Quote Originally Posted by houseman
    Alright. I'm in favour of the Dr here but guys... some of the stuff he apparently said to her was unreal.

    You'll never get married, have kids, etc because no man will want you being as big as you are?


    That's the gist of what he apparently said to her in addition to telling her she was fat.

    Telling someone they are obese, fat and out of shape is one thing. But the other? Uncalled for.

    I'm all for telling people how it really is but there no need to humilate and obesenly insult people as well. Those who do get off on that come and see me. I got a fist, knee and elbow your mouth can munch on for a bit.
    Where did you get that info?

  34. apparently (according to a piece I heard on NPR this am), the doc had been pleading w/ this woman to get her weight under control for years - only to be ignored, see her contract diabetes and a raft of other obesity-triggered ills, and finally lost patience.

    he's been "ordered" to take a course in 'medical manners', can you believe it?
    (he refused to go, saying that telling a patient the truth is not a shortcoming.)

    Even *NPR* backs the doc & views her "outrage" as silly.

  35. Quote Originally Posted by davisville64
    I think if lance armstrong can beat cancer and then win bike races, they can atleast be in decent shape.
    You are a complete and utter ****ing idiot.

    Some people's illnesses are more problemetic than what Lance's was and don't get "cured" of their illness.

  36. Quote Originally Posted by kwyckemynd00
    Where did you get that info?
    CNN and MSNBC.

    If I cna find the link again for the MSNBC article, I'll post it!

  37. All I read was that the doctor lost his patience and said that she was going to die before her husband and she would live alone for the rest of her life because no one would want a fatass like herself.

  38. Quote Originally Posted by MarcusG
    All I read was that the doctor lost his patience and said that she was going to die before her husband and she would live alone for the rest of her life because no one would want a fatass like herself.
    That doesn't make any sense. How would she wind up living alone if she was already married and he said she was going to die BEFORE her husband.

  39. Quote Originally Posted by Nullifidian
    That doesn't make any sense. How would she wind up living alone if she was already married and he said she was going to die BEFORE her husband.
    Because she's probably lying and can't get her story straight

    Although, to be on the other side of the fence here;

    “I told a fat woman she was obese,? Bennett says.
    I'm sure everyone has called some fat, but in a press conference...he's either not too bright, or obviously harbors some repressed anger towards fatties

  40. Quote Originally Posted by Nullifidian
    That doesn't make any sense. How would she wind up living alone if she was already married and he said she was going to die BEFORE her husband.

    Ok I made a mistake, here is the excerpt :-

    Terry Bennett, of New Hampshire, told the woman her weight was harming her health, that her husband was obese and would probably die before her, and, given her weight, she would have problems finding another man.
    The good doctor should've stayed away from personal remarks and simply stated his medical opinion that the extra weight was harmful to her health and dryly run down the litany of possible health issues. Problems finding another man is not a health issue.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. uh oh.. md1t
    By keithbakkr in forum Supplements
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 05-01-2008, 03:22 AM
  2. uh oh girlfriend might be preggo....
    By good_guye28 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 08-04-2003, 10:16 AM
  3. Uh Oh...Overtraining
    By YellowJacket in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-25-2002, 06:31 PM
  4. Uh-Oh...Prohormone Bill
    By true_c in forum General Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-26-2002, 07:37 PM
Log in
Log in