Doctor calls patient fat..."uh oh!"

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Doctor tells a fat lady she's fat...now she's suing and he may possibly lose his liscense to practice in the state. *sigh*

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9063638/

“I told a fat woman she was obese,� Bennett says. “I tried to get her attention. I told her, 'You need to get on a program, join a group of like-minded people and peel off the weight that is going to kill you.'"

“Physicians have to be professional with patients and remember everyone is an individual. You should not be inflammatory or degrading to anyone,� said board member Kevin Costin.

"disciplinary sanctions may range from a reprimand to the revocation of all rights to practice in the state."

-------------------------------

I doubt anything will come of this, but isn't it just "oh so telling" of where our society is headed? *sigh* again...damn...

bda55

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Did he wear a shirt saying "No fat chicks" or something..?? What kind of nonsense is this..

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
“Physicians have to be professional with patients and remember everyone is an individual. You should not be inflammatory or degrading to anyone,� said board member Kevin Costin.
If you're fat, you're fat. I'm so sick of these big babies that call themselves adults. If someone says that I'm tall or white or a man, I'm not going to get offended BECAUSE IT'S A FACT. If you're fat, you're fat - grow up, accept it, and do something about it before you eat yourself to death.
Give me a break.

shootmeagain

Awards
  • Established
I see a future where I have to fill out yet ANOTHER form at the doctor's office.

This one saying that the doctor may tell me that I have a health problem or medical condition pertinent to my health and that this information may be unwelcome. If so, I hereby consent and agree not to sue.

:( *sigh*

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Geez, what kind of world are we living in. I hope she doesn't get any $$$ out of it. This is PC gone out of control.

Dave@NU

Awards
Its pathetic that she is at the doctors to be told that she has problems and

when she is informed that she is overweight she gets all willy nilly and files a
complaint.

"'I told a fat woman she was obese,� Bennett says.' He didnt even call her fat,
he used the correct medical term "obese."

So Sad :rant:

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'm sick of all this PC bullshit pandering to fat people. I was fat once. When more and more people told me I was fat did I whine and bitch and moan about "you don't know how hard ti is to lose weight! wah wah wah !"? NO. I recognized the problem and got my ass into shape. I'm 5'6.5" and at one point I was 230 pounds and well over 30% bodyfat. Now I am 215 pounds and only 13% bodyfat. It was a long journey, but all it required was willpower. That's it.

The next fat person who complains to me about persecution is only going to see my back while I walk away from their conversation. I refuse to talk to those kinds of sorry pieces of dung.

davisville64

Awards
I got a detention last year because some fat kid called me a "roid freak", he had a mardi gras shirt on and I responded with...

"Mardi gras?, no wonder they call it FAT TUESDAY!" :drunk:

He didnt get any discipline for saying I use roids. (which I dont........ yet). I think mostly because the teacher was a FAT ASS aswell.

davisville64

Awards
I'm sick of all this PC bullshit pandering to fat people. I was fat once. When more and more people told me I was fat did I whine and bitch and moan about "you don't know how hard ti is to lose weight! wah wah wah !"? NO. I recognized the problem and got my ass into shape. I'm 5'6.5" and at one point I was 230 pounds and well over 30% bodyfat. Now I am 215 pounds and only 13% bodyfat. It was a long journey, but all it required was willpower. That's it.

The next fat person who complains to me about persecution is only going to see my back while I walk away from their conversation. I refuse to talk to those kinds of sorry pieces of dung.
YES YES YES :goodpost:

I was fat once too. I was in 7th grade 245 lbs at 5'11" or so and PURE FAT, couldnt manage one pushup.

Furthermore, if the doctor didnt say she was over weight and she died of a hear attack, who would the family blame? Not the fatty herself I guarantee you.

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established
this really just pisses me off, it's things like this that make me not want to become a doctor

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established
well, i'm just a junior but i'm taking all of the premed requirements, o. chem being the worst...lol.

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
YES YES YES :goodpost:

I was fat once too. I was in 7th grade 245 lbs at 5'11" or so and PURE FAT, couldnt manage one pushup.

Furthermore, if the doctor didnt say she was over weight and she died of a hear attack, who would the family blame? Not the fatty herself I guarantee you.
To top it off, it's not like I was fat some distant time in the past. I was that weight and bodyfat percentage in 2002. It took my brother's engagement for me to kick myself into shape. He was getting married, and I couldn't get a date for the life of me. Why? Because I was fat. Did I complai about women not "liking me for who I am?" or some other bullshit? No. Fat people are unattractive. Period. It's a fact. If you want an attractive body, don't complain about society's standard, change your friggin body.

DrDunc33

Awards
This story just burns my arse. We as doctors have a responsibility to give people a proper diagnosis, which in this case is obesity with detrimental health consequences. If he would have said she was healthy, she would probably be suing him for improper diagnosis because in reality she is not healthy. I guess the next lawsuit will be because a doctor actually looked at the patient during an exam. I can see it now..."How dare he look at me; he has no right to do that; I'll sue him for all he's got". The F-A-C-T is that too many people in this country are lazy fat-arses, but don't want anybody to mention it...not even their health-care providers. Guess what, we are called "health-care" providers because we have a duty to help you take care of your health. Being obese is NOT healthy. I'm sure some desparate, attention-seeking lawyer will actually take this case on. No wonder our insurance is so freaking high. There should be a counter-suit against this lady for being so ridiculously stupid.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
doctors aren't paid to be nice. I don't she how this suit will hold up. If he said she wasn't obese, he'd be lying and she could sue him for that too.

wastedwhiteboy2

wastedwhiteboy2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I'm telling you, there needs to be more people like me around that are not afraid to tell a fat chick she is too fat for her outfit instead of enablers.

davisville64

Awards
I'm telling you, there needs to be more people like me around that are not afraid to tell a fat chick she is too fat for her outfit instead of enablers.
Oh god I know! Just because they make it in there size doesnt mean they should wear it :rant:

velikimajmun

Board Sponsor
Awards
Oh god I know! Just because they make it in there size doesnt mean they should wear it :rant:

the bigger problem is when they don't make it in their size and they wear it anyways :nutkick:

davisville64

Awards
the bigger problem is when they don't make it in their size and they wear it anyways :nutkick:
UGH, oh man. That one shivered my spine :( . Bad memories of sophamore english class.

Also- Why is the doctors name everywhere, but we dont know the name of the fat, i mean huge, i mean obese (there we go:thumbsup: ) woman?

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
UGH, oh man. That one shivered my spine :( . Bad memories of sophamore english class.

Also- Why is the doctors name everywhere, but we dont know the name of the fat, i mean huge, i mean obese (there we go:thumbsup: ) woman?
she's not fat, she's big boned. LOL.

a woman told me one time that she couldn't lose weight because she had naturally big hips like the rest of her family. she tells me this while she's eating fried chicken dipped in ranch. :whiner:

saw a picture of her family, they're all about 2 steps short of a heart attack.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Aww cry me a river you fat ass bitch. There aren't enough adjectives to explain how pissed **** like this makes me. It's right up there with that stupid lady in Texas protesting the war in Iraq. :shoot:

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Alright. I'm in favour of the Dr here but guys... some of the stuff he apparently said to her was unreal.

You'll never get married, have kids, etc because no man will want you being as big as you are?

That's the gist of what he apparently said to her in addition to telling her she was fat.

Telling someone they are obese, fat and out of shape is one thing. But the other? Uncalled for.

I'm all for telling people how it really is but there no need to humilate and obesenly insult people as well. Those who do get off on that come and see me. I got a fist, knee and elbow your mouth can munch on for a bit.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Alright. I'm in favour of the Dr here but guys... some of the stuff he apparently said to her was unreal.

You'll never get married, have kids, etc because no man will want you being as big as you are?

That's the gist of what he apparently said to her in addition to telling her she was fat.
If he said that, he would be wrong. Very unprofessional, especially coming from a doctor. But I'm sure it's what most of us would like to say. I can't explain how much obesity sickens me. The next worse thing after smoking.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
If he said that, he would be wrong. Very unprofessional, especially coming from a doctor. But I'm sure it's what most of us would like to say. I can't explain how much obesity sickens me. The next worse thing after smoking.
Thinking it and saying it are two very different things.

And, I knew two people who are what I would call obese. Both have health issues that make life very difficult to workout yet by looking at them you'd know no different.

Would these two people sicken you?

I understand what you are saying. I really do but we need to stop judging people based on what we see because what we see is not usually what really IS. You know?

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Let me rephrase myself. Obesity that is caused by the person not having any self control sickens me. For instance, the family of fat asses eating the all you can eat pizza at a pizza bar. There are people out there that have legitamate health problems/conditions that they have little control over that cause them to gain weight. My aunt has thyroid problems and she has had to fight weight problems all of her life. Despite that, she has always tried to exercise and eat healthy so her weight wouldn't get too out of control.

wastedwhiteboy2

wastedwhiteboy2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
what people are on the outside is a respresentation of what they are on the inside. I have fat relatives and friends but the people I hang out with the most are the leaner active ones that can keep up with me when I want to act 16 instead of eating junk food all the time.

BLANE

Awards
  • Established
i thought it was a doctors job to tell the patient the truth.....you know it could save her life......but the bitch has the mind to call out the doctor that basically told her she is fat, when she knows good and well she aint a fuckin fitness model infront of that mirror.

davisville64

Awards
Thinking it and saying it are two very different things.

And, I knew two people who are what I would call obese. Both have health issues that make life very difficult to workout yet by looking at them you'd know no different.

Would these two people sicken you?

I understand what you are saying. I really do but we need to stop judging people based on what we see because what we see is not usually what really IS. You know?
I think if lance armstrong can beat cancer and then win bike races, they can atleast be in decent shape.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established

Telling someone they are obese, fat and out of shape is one thing. But the other? Uncalled for.

I'm all for telling people how it really is but there no need to humilate and obesenly insult people as well. Those who do get off on that come and see me. I got a fist, knee and elbow your mouth can munch on for a bit.
Where did you get that info?

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
apparently (according to a piece I heard on NPR this am), the doc had been pleading w/ this woman to get her weight under control for years - only to be ignored, see her contract diabetes and a raft of other obesity-triggered ills, and finally lost patience.

he's been "ordered" to take a course in 'medical manners', can you believe it?
(he refused to go, saying that telling a patient the truth is not a shortcoming.)

Even *NPR* backs the doc & views her "outrage" as silly.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I think if lance armstrong can beat cancer and then win bike races, they can atleast be in decent shape.
You are a complete and utter fucking idiot.

Some people's illnesses are more problemetic than what Lance's was and don't get "cured" of their illness.

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
All I read was that the doctor lost his patience and said that she was going to die before her husband and she would live alone for the rest of her life because no one would want a fatass like herself.

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
All I read was that the doctor lost his patience and said that she was going to die before her husband and she would live alone for the rest of her life because no one would want a fatass like herself.
That doesn't make any sense. How would she wind up living alone if she was already married and he said she was going to die BEFORE her husband.

noctorum

Banned
Awards
That doesn't make any sense. How would she wind up living alone if she was already married and he said she was going to die BEFORE her husband.
Because she's probably lying and can't get her story straight ;)

Although, to be on the other side of the fence here;

“I told a fat woman she was obese,� Bennett says.
I'm sure everyone has called some fat, but in a press conference...he's either not too bright, or obviously harbors some repressed anger towards fatties

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established

Ok I made a mistake, here is the excerpt :-

Terry Bennett, of New Hampshire, told the woman her weight was harming her health, that her husband was obese and would probably die before her, and, given her weight, she would have problems finding another man.
The good doctor should've stayed away from personal remarks and simply stated his medical opinion that the extra weight was harmful to her health and dryly run down the litany of possible health issues. Problems finding another man is not a health issue.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
You are a complete and utter fucking idiot.

Some people's illnesses are more problemetic than what Lance's was and don't get "cured" of their illness.
Personally, I'd rather be fat than have cancer. I consider cancer to be very serious...much moreso than a person who chooses not to take the steps necessary to lose weight.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Personally, I'd rather be fat than have cancer. I consider cancer to be very serious...much moreso than a person who chooses not to take the steps necessary to lose weight.
Yeah, he got cured.

I know people who have physical limitations who cannot exercise. How the **** do you expect them to lose weight or stay in shape when walking is a fucking chore for them?

Seriously. The ignorance I see spouted somedays is mind boggling.

noctorum

Banned
Awards
Yeah, he got cured.

I know people who have physical limitations who cannot exercise. How the **** do you expect them to lose weight or stay in shape when walking is a fucking chore for them?

With the chemicals we have these days, you could do a few sets with light weights, and eradicate fat, and build plenty of muscle..

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
With the chemicals we have these days, you could do a few sets with light weights, and eradicate fat, and build plenty of muscle..
Live with a physical limitation where even just walking is difficult and let's see what chemicals and light weights you can do.

And, while some of us may be alright with plugging our bodies with checmical after chemical... there are a lot of people who do not. In fact, I'm willing to believe, those who HAVE to take drugs to live life would do anything they could to NOT to have to take drugs.

Drugs, which, are also killing them in another fashion.

noctorum

Banned
Awards
Live with a physical limitation where even just walking is difficult and let's see what chemicals and light weights you can do.

And, while some of us may be alright with plugging our bodies with checmical after chemical... there are a lot of people who do not. In fact, I'm willing to believe, those who HAVE to take drugs to live life would do anything they could to NOT to have to take drugs.

Drugs, which, are also killing them in another fashion.
Examples of these diseases? The only one that would prevent you from doing light work would be some form of CNS damage or muscle wasting, which can be repaired to (more or less) full capacity through physical therapy and anabolics.

Also, if they are already taking drugs, whats a few more? IGF-1, GH, topical PGF2a, IL-15, TNG and TNF, there are drugs for every possible situation. If money was no object, I'd gladly be the guinea pig to that.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Examples of these diseases? The only one that would prevent you from doing light work would be some form of CNS damage or muscle wasting, which can be repaired to (more or less) full capacity through physical therapy and anabolics.

Also, if they are already taking drugs, whats a few more? IGF-1, GH, topical PGF2a, IL-15, TNG and TNF, there are drugs for every possible situation. If money was no object, I'd gladly be the guinea pig to that.
Let's see. MS for starters.

CFS for another.

Emphazima <sp?> for another?

Want a few more?

Seriously man. What you see on the otherside isn't always what IS on the inside. And, you can make the comment about a "few more" becuase you're not already taking a cocktail of 15 different drugs that have negatives on other aspects of the body and function.

It's easy to say what's a few more but until you've bene in the situtation... you can't really talk.

noctorum

Banned
Awards
Let's see. MS for starters.
Physical therapy/rehabilition

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/treatments.asp

CFS for another.
Not aware of what this is.

Emphazima <sp?> for another?
Emphysema is predominantly caused by smoking, however it is ignorant to say that the only way to get it is through smoking. However, if one develops it because of cigarette use, sucks for them.

For those that contract it though 'second hand smoke' or just sheer unluckiness;

Working out before you get emphysema is a proven method of prevention. There are studies that are having some success with supplementing alpha-1 antitrypsin in laboratory settings. Alpha-1 antitrypsin is the chemical that is lacking in those genetically predisposed to emphysema.

Of course, there are also vasodilators.

http://www.lung.ca/diseases/emphysema.html
http://www.pubmed.com

Want a few more?
Sure

Seriously man. What you see on the otherside isn't always what IS on the inside. And, you can make the comment about a "few more" becuase you're not already taking a cocktail of 15 different drugs that have negatives on other aspects of the body and function.
I personally would not take a medication with side effects that are worse than the disease it is attempting to cure. That just seems like common sense..

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, he got cured.

Well, I wasn't referencing physically handicapped people :D (Unless being fat is their only handicap).

I know...its Richard Simmons....BUT, I've seen him take a 700lb lady who was a permanent fixture in her house and thin her out by cleaning up her diet and then getting her started exercising by "clapping". There is no excuse when you are (almost always) the reason your fat in the first place. Some people genetically have been screwed adn have to make certain sacrificed others wouldn't have to make to be fit, but that is a lame excuse at best.