The significance of Rafael Palmeiro

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
The significance of Rafael Palmeiro with the average guy.

Just last week, Baltimore Orioles’ first basemen and community legend Rafael Palmeiro tested positive for the steroidal compound known as Winstrol (stanazol). Most people were shocked that Mr. Palmeiro tested positive after his testimony before Congress. Predictably, that which followed, was the typical media character assassination of Palmeiro. Within an hour, he was declared a liar, cheater, juicehead and bad person. All of his accomplishments were either put into question or completely dismissed in the minds of the media elite.

Now, never mind Palmeiro’s impressive (hall of fame) major league baseball career.

Never mind Palmeiro’s contributions to the communities of Arlington and Baltimore.

Never mind his larger than life legacy and hope he brings the children who are enslaved in Cuba by the ultra-liberal Fidel Castro.

And Never mind Rafael Palmeiro’s highly active role in the Make-A-Wish Foundation for underprivileged children.

Palmeiro is a cheater and a liar.

We must thank the media watchdog for setting the story straight after all these years of believing Palmeiro was in fact, ‘a good person’ when behind closed doors he was a roid-raging psychopath.

That sits just dandy with the pencil-necks in Congress, the meekly paid muck-rakers in journalism, and the testosterone-void girlie men who have never been to a baseball game.

But maybe…

Just maybe your average guy might think to himself and for himself and say: Wait, maybe steroids aren’t for bad people? Rafael Palmeiro isn’t a bad guy. No way – I don’t care what Michael Wilbon says.

I can’t defend Palmeiro’s treason. But I can defend him as a human being.

Steroids were designated as a class three narcotic as part of legislation in the 1990s. The United States government treats them along the lines with hardcore narcotics such as cocaine, morphine and heroin. Based on absolutely no data, a senator from Wisconsin determined (in 2005) that 1 of every 6 male high school students has either experimented with steroids or is currently using them. Based on the perception of steroids, certainly 1 in 6 high school students will be dropping dead shortly. Boston Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling estimated over 60% of all major league baseball players were taking steroids and had been since the mid 80s. Based on the perception of steroids, any day now, we should expect over 60% of the players in the 1980s era to crumble up and die.

Yet, to date, there has not been a single death directly linked to steroid use or even steroid abuse.

The perception still remains that ‘steroids are for bad people’.

Now, either Mr. Palmeiro is in-fact a bad person.

Or the anti-steroid hype is incorrect and Rafael Palmeiro isn’t a bad person.

Back in the year 2000 when Schilling valiantly first brought the steroid issue to the forefront, I named two names of players that I guaranteed used anabolics. Matt Williams and Jay Bell of the Arizona Diamondbacks. Bell hit nearly 40 homeruns in 1999 and Williams hit 35 homeruns along his 142 RBIs. I told one of my best friends’ and future ivy-league graduate of my postulate. He reaped the benefits of Bell and Williams on his Smallworld fantasy baseball team the year before. He dismissed my charges simply by saying, “Matt Williams is not a bad person. There is no chance.”

Still to this day, mainly because of media misinformation and lies, steroid use assumes negative character traits.

But I believe with the recent ‘bust’ of Rafael Palmeiro, your average guy isn’t about to throw Palmeiro and his career in the toilet with the likes of a cocaine, methamphetamine, and steroid abuser like Ken Caminiti.

They aren’t about to add Palmeiro to the list of ‘bad people’.

The ‘shock’ that American golden boy Mark McGwire ‘may have’ used steroids in his record setting campaign should be another sledgehammer to the perception that anabolics are only for bad people. I don’t believe anyone considers McGwire a bad person.

A cheater? Depends on what your definition is.

I’m no liberal, but the media has given McGwire a free pass because he is white and considered ‘a good person’. No one in the media has pursued Mcgwire beyond the congressional hearing.

The targets have been Balco bad boys: Bonds, Giambi and Sheffield. In that order. None of the three had a particularly shinning image before the media onslaught. Certainly they fit the description of bad guys and steroids.

Rafael Palmeiro, in my opinion, breaks this stereotype down.

He was not born in America but he is one of us.

I believe your average person is starting to realize how widespread steroid use really is.

If one assumes this to be true – perhaps he too is assuming that the dangers in responsible steroid use are highly exaggerated.

I believe the smoke is beginning to clear – albeit slowly.

Trust your instincts and not the government.

Remember the same government swore there were weapons of mass destruction pointed at your house.

Last edited:
CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
average guys using steroids? not just psychopaths...
no way.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
i liked it, i didn't write it though!

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
It's a good read, but I have a strong feeling the average Joe is FAR more likely to think something like this:

"Wow, Palmeiro used to be such a good guy, why'd he go and become such a scumbag and use steroids? Oh well, he's a piece of **** now as far as I'm concerned because everyone knows steroids are the devil. Now I'll get back to eating this Big Mac, smoking this pack of Camels, and drinking this Coors Light."

ShadowOne

Awards
I don't think people are generally thinking, "oh, steroids are bad for your health so anyone who takes them is a 'bad' person." I believe athletes who use steroids aren't trashed simply for steroid use in and of itself, but typically are trashed for the lack of integrity aspect in knowingly breaking the rules of his/her sport.

AldrichAStern

Awards
There is a definite difference between using steroids for recreational/cosmetic use, and using it deceitfully to get ahead of someone in competition... The latter makes someone a cheater. I cannot believe that the argue article uses that face that the media overhyes the dangers of steroids as a point for people like Palmeiro, Bonds, and McGuire. That has nothing to do with the issue of ethical integrity.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Maybe OT, but I can't quite seem to get out of my mind the fact that Giambi (and Canseco) is the only one that has admitted using. Mistakes, poor judgement, cheating or lying. The character of the man is in the way he responds when found out. I have issue with Palmeiro beyond the use of AAS. Giambi has been able to make some of us see beyond his AAS issue. JMHO. Go Yankees! ;)

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Very good piece of work. I'm forwarding that in an e-mail to everyone I know. BTW, I like how the media seems to forget all the charitable work he has done.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Okay, I'll step up...

I wrote it...

I thought some of the political rhetoric might have been over the top, so I didn't want to offend anyone.

thanks for your comments!
D59

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Okay, I'll step up...

I wrote it...

I thought some of the political rhetoric might have been over the top, so I didn't want to offend anyone.

thanks for your comments!
D59
I knew you wrote it after I read this: "I’m no liberal, but the media has given McGwire a free pass because he is white and considered ‘a good person’. No one in the media has pursued Mcgwire beyond the congressional hearing."

:thumbsup: Great postin'

Watcher

Awards
Wow, what an awesome write up!!! There were so many great points made in there!!

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
I knew you wrote it after I read this: "I’m no liberal, but the media has given McGwire a free pass because he is white and considered ‘a good person’. No one in the media has pursued Mcgwire beyond the congressional hearing."

:thumbsup: Great postin'
thanks everyone, thanks kwycke
I can put together decent sentences so long as I have spell check and time

whoops I have a grammar mistake in that paragraph...

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
thanks everyone, thanks kwycke
I can put together decent sentences so long as I have spell check and time

whoops I have a grammar mistake in that paragraph...
Good write up. No wonder you have a D in English, you were too busy writing this. Get back to work!!!

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
crap i just deleted it!
ill repost.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
If one assumes this to be true – perhaps he too is assuming that the dangers in responsible steroid use are highly exaggerated.

Exaggerated just like the dangers of marijuana. I’m sure you’ve seen the commercials that seemingly link marijuana to auto accidents, crimes and death.

this was for my friends in our fantasy baseball league, which im in 2nd - not 6th like the AM league - some of them are/were your typical drinking/smoking former frat types. I think they can begin to relate. its baby steps if nothing else
with that said, most of the population has no business even considering steroid use

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
Very good writing/read, indeed. You had me with the exception of "the media has given McGwire a free pass because he is white and considered ‘a good person’. No one in the media has pursued Mcgwire beyond the congressional hearing."

I think Big Mac was the primary "target" in the Congressional Witch-Hunt, and the media & MLB gave him the shaft. I could care less what he was taking during '98, MLB owes him & Sosa for restoring "America's Past Time." It was sad to see the man that carried the sport on his shoulders after the last strike have to cowar with his tail between his legs as he's surrounded by pitch-forks and torches. Just another victim of the Anti-Testosterone, p*ssy attitude that's shoved down our throats everyday on the television, radio, & newspaper.

But back to Palmeiro, I still think something smells fishy about these test results. Maybe my judgement is clouded as I have been a Palmeiro fan since 1990 (he should have won the MVP in '99, damnit!). I just find it very hard to believe that he would test positive for Winny. I myself have never taken Winstrol, but I know that it is one of the easiest roids to detect in a test. I would think that after the implementation of a tougher testing policy and risk of public knowledge, it would be outright crazy for someone, that has been finger-pointed as a user and under the spotlight of Congress, to use something like Winny...

Just my opinion.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
good points, I believe the media worked with McGwire on the andro 'story'. Bonds had already broken Macs record for the **** hit the fan so to speak. Mark McGwire was called before congress after 2-3 years of retirement mainly because Jose Canseco is a big mouth.

i guess my point is, Bonds' record was more in question - and McGwire former record sort of slid under the rug.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
for those who don't know: Canseco believes Mark McGwire planted the bottle of andro in his locker. Staged an interview, let the media find it, and apoligized for it. This totally diverted the subject of steroids.

And it worked.

I told my friends, McGwire used steroids - they said, no he used andro. McGwire was very smart if that's the truth, actually he's very smart regardless to deflect the question. He always used the media to his advantage. Either way, he's not a bad guy.

when people ask me, "hey man, your huge, what are you doing?"

they actually mean, "hey man, your huge, what are you taking?"

if I just give them a 1 or 2 word answer, and name a dietary supplement - the entire issue is resolved.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
:thumbsup: for McGwire...I've got 4 of his rookie cards :)

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
damn, sell sell sell then
the careers of everyone in the 1990s are going to be ruined

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
I've got to find, find, find them first....and, ultimately, i say people forget about the AAS deal. Its more just the media lookin' for a story and media credibility is dropping daily.

fkngchucknorris

Awards

Exaggerated just like the dangers of marijuana. I’m sure you’ve seen the commercials that seemingly link marijuana to auto accidents, crimes and death.

this was for my friends in our fantasy baseball league, which im in 2nd - not 6th like the AM league - some of them are/were your typical drinking/smoking former frat types. I think they can begin to relate. its baby steps if nothing else
with that said, most of the population has no business even considering steroid use
yes i relate on both fields, with anabolics and marijuana. They're both in the same position, being downgraded by the government.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Equipment is equipment whether or not its chemical or physically attached. Secret swim-suits and deca are both equipment. If we want the know who is the best, everyone should compete in the 'exact same' condition. If one person has nice shoes, so should the next. I see someone using better equipment than the next as "cheating" equally as much as joe-blow on deca who has shitty equipment.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Difference in the result, yes. In the principle, no...both are an advantage that can lead to an undeserved win.

No winny, no shoes :)

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
a jumpshot can get you a supermodel, a nice car, a swiss bank account, a nice house, a lot of yes man...

but none of these things...

can get you a jumpshot.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
a jumpshot can get you a supermodel, a nice car, a swiss bank account, a nice house, a lot of yes man...

but none of these things...

can get you a jumpshot.
Isn't that from a Nike commercial or something?

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Iverson - Reebok

(i think)

UnicronSpawn

UnicronSpawn

Awards
  • Established
I dont think the olympics or any sport for that matter have ever had a truly level playing field. A true level playing field would mean that no matter what, the hardest\smartest training athlete would ALWAYS win. But the midget from Austin powers will never beat Michael Jordan at one on one even if he practices from dawn till dusk for years. People are not equal in their innate abilities. Nor are they equal in the degree to wich they respond to training or practice.

That being said, I do feel that using drugs that are specifically banned by your orginization does tilt the odds a bit unfairly. But that is why I think the militant banning of performance enhancing in sports is inherintly flawed. If it wasnt banned, then it wouldnt be cheating. If every player had the option of a sensible peformance enhancing drug protocol, then anyone who chose to or chose not to would be responsible for the pro's and cons of that decision. Regulation would allow the athletes to use protocols that were based on safety and effectiveness, and not on the ease with wich the drug can be detected. The out in the openness of that scenerio would allow for sufficient medical supervision, and drug quality control. And as for the influence on young people; players could be candid and honest about why the young aspiring athletes should wait till they are older to even consider using androgens. Young people can be reckless, but as a whole they are smarter than some give them credit for, and I think alot of their defiance is derived from the fact that they realize that there is a lot of propaganda out there, and subsequently they become quite reluctant to believe anything anybody with a hint of an agenda tells them. If the media and congress would just stop BS'ing them and let people be candid and objective about some of lifes tougher decisions, maybe they would make better choices all on their own.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
in response to the olympics, I feel we rejected steroids and performance enhancing drugs simply to be clean - unlike the Soviets at the time.

Old Guy

Old Guy

Awards
  • Established
Very good writing/read, indeed. You had me with the exception of "the media has given McGwire a free pass because he is white and considered ‘a good person’. No one in the media has pursued Mcgwire beyond the congressional hearing."

I think Big Mac was the primary "target" in the Congressional Witch-Hunt, and the media & MLB gave him the shaft. I could care less what he was taking during '98, MLB owes him & Sosa for restoring "America's Past Time." It was sad to see the man that carried the sport on his shoulders after the last strike have to cowar with his tail between his legs as he's surrounded by pitch-forks and torches. Just another victim of the Anti-Testosterone, p*ssy attitude that's shoved down our throats everyday on the television, radio, & newspaper.

But back to Palmeiro, I still think something smells fishy about these test results. Maybe my judgement is clouded as I have been a Palmeiro fan since 1990 (he should have won the MVP in '99, damnit!). I just find it very hard to believe that he would test positive for Winny. I myself have never taken Winstrol, but I know that it is one of the easiest roids to detect in a test. I would think that after the implementation of a tougher testing policy and risk of public knowledge, it would be outright crazy for someone, that has been finger-pointed as a user and under the spotlight of Congress, to use something like Winny...

Just my opinion.
Mass, damn right.

CE, damn good write-up. You should send this as an editorial to SI, ESPN mag, and Sporting News.

Old Guy

Old Guy

Awards
  • Established

Just my opinion.
I can't get over this one either. He couldn't be that stupid, or did he think he could mask it somehow.
But then again, how could you test positive for Winstrol if
you havent used it??

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
i greatly appreciate your comments.

hahaha, doubtful any muck-raking publication would give it a second look - I'm not too media friendly... not only do i blame them for the anti-steroid propaganda, but I insult their physical stature

worth a try I suppose. :D

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
maybe he was using Prostanozol
or more likely, winstrol

vcon13

vcon13

Awards
That's the government, Congress and society for you! Still blaming everything under the sun for people's achievments! If congress is involved with sports and steroids, we are in serious trouble. There are American Soldiers dying everyday in Iraq, starving children in America, guns, crack, heroin, alcohol, cigarettes, terrorists. During 2004, 17,013 people in the U.S. died in alcohol-related motor vehicle crashes, representing 40% of all traffic-related deaths (NHTSA 2004a). Cigarette smoking causes an estimated 440,000 deaths, or about 1 of every 5 deaths, each year. This estimate includes 35,000 deaths from secondhand smoke exposure. Cigarette smoking kills an estimated 264,000 men and 178,000 women in the United States each year. Smoking causes 3.3 million years of potential life lost for men and 2.2 million years for women. But are they worried about that?!, no!, they are worried about a freakin baseball player, who plays a freaking game, a freaking game.
He is just a guy who wants to be the best at what he does and the country riducules him for that?

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Politics... glory... Politicians are more evil than we are. And half of us don't even know it.

Those are excellent numbers VCON/IBE

thanks

brk1224

Awards
Too bad for Rafael Palmeroid..They have to make an example out of someone...

hillbillyfly

Awards
I agree him taking Winny would be just retarded. I mean, why does a baseball player need winny? I thought winny was used mostly by sprinters / athletes who'd benefit more by being leaner, the only thing that's going to help palmiero with is running the bases. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I think he was on Prostanozol :lol:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Supplements 6
Anabolics 0