Whey Curbs Effect of Carbs on Blood Sugar

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
uly 29, 2005 -- Whey may be good for more than just Little Miss Muffet.

A new study shows adding whey to a high-carbohydrate meal may help people with diabetes keep their blood sugar levels under control.

Researchers found drinking a whey supplement mixed with water along with a high glycemic index (GI) meal, like mashed potatoes with meatballs, prevented the dramatic spikes in blood sugar that normally occur in people with type 2 diabetes.

Whey is a protein found in milk and is also available as a nutritional supplement. Researchers say the results suggest that whey aids in blood sugar regulation by stimulating the production of the hormone insulin in the pancreas. Insulin helps the body regulate blood sugar naturally.

In type 2 diabetes, the pancreas either does not produce enough insulin to keep blood sugar levels at healthy levels or the body has become resistant to insulin. Therefore, people with type 2 diabetes are advised to modify their diet to avoid foods with a high glycemic index that are digested rapidly and can cause dangerous spikes in blood sugar.

Foods that have a high glycemic index -- and thus the strongest and most immediate impact on blood sugar -- include refined grains, potatoes, and sweets.
Whey to Help Keep Blood Sugar in Check

In the study, researchers compared the effects of eating a high glycemic index meal with or without whey supplementation on blood sugar levels after the meal. The results appear in the current issue of the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

For two days, 14 people with diet-treated type 2 diabetes ate a high-GI breakfast of white bread followed by a high-GI lunch of mashed potatoes and meatballs.

A whey supplement of 27.6 grams of whey powder mixed in water was added to both meals on one day. On another day, they ate the same meals with lean ham and lactose dissolved in water in place of the whey supplement.
Lower Blood Sugar, Higher Insulin

Researchers took blood samples before and after the meals and found that insulin production was higher after the whey-supplemented meals.

For example, insulin production was 31% higher after the high-GI breakfast and 57% higher after the high-GI lunch when whey was included compared with when it was not.

The study also showed that rises in blood sugar levels after lunch were reduced by 21% with whey supplementation.

Researchers say the findings suggest that whey proteins may attenuate blood sugar surges throughout the day.

Additional studies are also looking into the possibility of stimulating insulin production by specifically tailoring these proteins, which may lead to more effective diabetes treatments with fewer side effects.

SOURCE: Frid, A. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, July 1, 2005; vol 82: pp 69-75.

intv

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Good to know. Before cheat meals I always drink whey so I don't feel quite as bad about the cheating. Looks like it may help after all.

Those poor bastards had to drink a lean-ham-and-lactose-dissolved-in-water shake!

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Haha yeah I do the same thing if I am eating something like cake or pie or something, figure hell if there is going to be a lot of insulin involved why not have it bring in some protein haha.

bda55

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Oh great.. I always had a whey shake before I ate something which I knew of didn't have alot of protein in it by itself (like spaghetti with tomato sauce, yummy) and was pretty high GI.. Nice to know, thanks! :)

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Oh great.. I always had a whey shake before I ate something which I knew of didn't have alot of protein in it by itself (like spaghetti with tomato sauce, yummy) and was pretty high GI.. Nice to know, thanks! :)
I don't know if thats what you meant by it but spaghetti is actually low gi :thumbsup: :cheers:

bda55

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Oh yeah i just looked it up, white spaghetti is only has a GI of 41, I thought it had a much higher value.. Great! :D

natiels

natiels

Board Supporter
Awards
The study seems to be saying that whey causes an increased insulin release. Is that really something you want before you eat some pizza?

I would think no, but i really am a bit curious. I thought insulin was only your friend (LBM wise) at times when your muscles were primed for glycogen.

TheTom

Awards
  • Established
The whey does infact increase the insulin released by the meal, BUT it makes blood sugar lower or return to normal values, much faster than it would, if you did not consume the whey.

Without whey, your blood sugar would be very high for much longer, keeping you in "storage" mode for far longer than you need to be, making it impossible to burn off bodyfat during that time period.

Whereas by including whey your blood sugar will normalize more quickly, giving your body a fighting chance at burning off some of that fat you put on, from the cheat meal.

natiels

natiels

Board Supporter
Awards
The whey does infact increase the insulin released by the meal, BUT it makes blood sugar lower or return to normal values, much faster than it would, if you did not consume the whey.

Without whey, your blood sugar would be very high for much longer, keeping you in "storage" mode for far longer than you need to be, making it impossible to burn off bodyfat during that time period.

Whereas by including whey your blood sugar will normalize more quickly, giving your body a fighting chance at burning off some of that fat you put on, from the cheat meal.
Interesting. On another note i can definitely attest to the increased insulin from whey. In the last couple weeks of my cut, which ended just recently, I went on a whey/oats/milk shake diet. Pretty much just drank like 5-6 shakes a day. I know its not the best idea but i had hit a sticking point and just wanted to try something drastic. After a couple of days on that diet i started noticing at around 4:00pm i would begin feeling some major symtoms of hypoglycemia. I am not normally hypoglycemic so i really was never sure that it was hypoglycemia, but now that i see this study it confirms that it most likely was.

keninishna

Awards
I have noticed this before. I think protien in general helps keep the bg stable.

doggzj

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Interesting. On another note i can definitely attest to the increased insulin from whey. In the last couple weeks of my cut, which ended just recently, I went on a whey/oats/milk shake diet. Pretty much just drank like 5-6 shakes a day. I know its not the best idea but i had hit a sticking point and just wanted to try something drastic. After a couple of days on that diet i started noticing at around 4:00pm i would begin feeling some major symtoms of hypoglycemia. I am not normally hypoglycemic so i really was never sure that it was hypoglycemia, but now that i see this study it confirms that it most likely was.
It it allow you to get past the sticking point? My 'cheat' meals these days always involve fruity whey, because it taste so good it should be a cheat anyway. Good to know it was keeping me thin (er).

natiels

natiels

Board Supporter
Awards
It it allow you to get past the sticking point? My 'cheat' meals these days always involve fruity whey, because it taste so good it should be a cheat anyway. Good to know it was keeping me thin (er).
It did. I hadnt lost any weight for a couple of weeks and i lost 3lbs in 1 week doing that. I fear that some of it was LBM, but definitely some was fat cause i noticed the extra definition in my abs.