Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.68%

New Jersey creates High School Steroid Task Force

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/news/story?id=2111624

Updated: July 19, 2005, 2:53 PM ET
    Gov. Codey: Steroid use is 'public health crisis'

Associated Press

TRENTON, N.J. -- Acting Gov. Richard J. Codey signed an executive order Tuesday creating a task force to study steroid use in the state's high schools.

An avid sports fan and youth basketball coach, Codey identified steroid use among student athletes as "an emergent public health crisis," and said his order puts New Jersey at the forefront of addressing it.

"Sports teach about teamwork and fellowship, leadership and discipline, and good clean competition," Codey said. "Steroid use, however, is threatening this safe outlet."

Codey's order authorizes the task force to study the scope of the steroid problem and to develop a statewide policy.

The acting governor plans to evaluate the task force's findings before signing a bill on random testing of student athletes for drug use. Random drug testing is allowed in New Jersey schools, but the legislation would provide uniform guidelines for districts implementing drug testing programs and would limit actions schools could take when students test positive or refuse to be tested.

Sen. Nicholas Sacco, a Hudson County Democrat and a school administrator who sponsored the legislation sitting on Codey's desk, said he applauded the governor's commitment to tackling the problem of steroid abuse in schools.

The task force includes Sports Illustrated writer Peter King, Rider University athletic trainer Timothy Lengle, orthopedic surgeon Dr. Timothy Hosea, and Lisa Brady, a Hunterdon County school administrator who helped develop one of the first student drug testing policies in the country.

The task force has until Dec. 1 to submit its report.

2. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.35%

Codey should stick to policing junk food and leave the steroids to us!!!

Just kidding!

BP
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.36%

thats prob because of all the arrests in NJ the past few months
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.84%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

OMFG...In jersey they have nothing better to do, right?
  5. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.79%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Actually.. no... ever since the aliens blew the living **** out of us in War of the Worlds... we dont have much left but roids, junk food a really odd smell off of exit 15 on the NJ turnpike
  6. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    11.83%

this means nj high school athletes are getting tested for steroids this upcoming year? or the year after that?
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38%

Exclamation

OMFG...In jersey they have nothing better to do, right?
    NJ is a state that believes that you can legislate the public into submission. This is clear in every action the state has taken for a long, long time. It's kind of like the parent yelling at his deaf child to behave. The "order must be kept" mentality. Doesn't work, because the government is more full of corruption there than any criminal could be. It just pisses the poor off and placates the rich sitting in their vastly overvalued homes. Meanwhile several of the top crime cities are in NJ. Speed traps don't decrease violent crime, idiots!! Too bad Jersey people don't do anything about it, since the majority of people who could make a difference are pussies who either spend their lives worrying about how they're going to protect their wealth or sitting in basements smoking pot and getting drunk, probably playing Everquest. How about those Turnpike tolls? Still not making a profit, eh?

ever since the aliens blew the living **** out of us in War of the Worlds... we dont have much left but roids, junk food
    Watching that movie, I didn't see much difference in NJ from "before" to "after" the aliens destroyed the place... and the sky IS like that in Jersey. You have diners and Silent Bob. Woo hoo.

a really odd smell off of exit 15 on the NJ turnpike
    And you think that smell is only on Exit 15?
  8. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.79%
    Achievements Posting Pro

We also have Tony Danza bitch!

Acting Gov. Richard J. Codey signed an executive order Tuesday creating a task force to study steroid use in the state's high schools.

actually.. no.. my guess is there wont be anything done other than exactly what it says..."study". My good friend above this post is some what correct, but also blinded by a ethnocentric view from his side of the bridge.. BUT i will say.. this "task force" is nothing more than some stupid paper "task force" that he can just stand on his soap box and say " I tried to do something" This may start the process to test for roids, but not after many court battles and millions of dollars spent.......HOWEVER other states do test for drugs, roids etc... when i lived in Kansas and played football/track etc there I had to do a good old pee and hair test...
  9. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.08%

Thumbs up

I am usually VERY pro-steroid (no i dont use, im 17). However, I agree with this, to some degree.

Teens using steroids IS a problem, unlike adults that use them. There are some other drugs they should get out of schools before they worry about roids, but that wont happen. They have an excuse to drug test athletes, they cant, however, just go test randomly from the student body.
  10. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    11.83%

Quote Originally Posted by davisville64
    I am usually VERY pro-steroid (no i dont use, im 17). However, I agree with this, to some degree.

Teens using steroids IS a problem, unlike adults that use them. There are some other drugs they should get out of schools before they worry about roids, but that wont happen. They have an excuse to drug test athletes, they cant, however, just go test randomly from the student body.
    yea im 16, and gonna be a junior in HS even though it says I'm 21 but I don't understand how they can think about testing for steroids when they don't even test for drugs such as weed cuz if they did then I'd say 40% of the student athletes in my school would be fcuked.
  11. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.08%

Quote Originally Posted by MR RHOMBALOIDS
    yea im 16, and gonna be a junior in HS even though it says I'm 21 but I don't understand how they can think about testing for steroids when they don't even test for drugs such as weed cuz if they did then I'd say 40% of the student athletes in my school would be fcuked.
    Thats nothing. In my school 80% of athletes use dope, and that is a LOW estimate if anything.
  12. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.76%

Quote Originally Posted by MR RHOMBALOIDS
    Change your age to what it actually is before you get the boot.
  13. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.82%

damn man, thats bs. sucks for nj athletes too.... not to condone the use of steroids...
  14. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.17%

seems once again the goverent is going after the wrong peope. i would say more kids smoke ot drink than use steroids in new jersey schools. how about the state start testing kids for that. whats the punishment for that. seems to me kids are minors and its up to their parent to be testing for steroids. Once again parents are giving up their rights over their kids. maybe the state should look into coaches who abuse kids with restrictive diets excessive training all in the name of the coach getting a state title. have dealt with coaches creating kids with inslin resistance due to the poor nutrition the coaches make kids do. how about we test every kid who does a sport and see if they are inslin sensitive and how the coach was responsiable for that. remember its the coachs putting pressure on the kids. maybe they need to learn how to be better coaches. If my son had lived and the school tried to test him i take him out home school him nobody would ever stick anything into my child with out my permission.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-20-2007, 09:47 PM
  2. Illinois mulls steroid testing for high school athletes
    By yeahright in forum News and Articles
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-06-2006, 03:31 PM
  3. Steroid testing comes to state high schools
    By yeahright in forum News and Articles
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-24-2006, 03:24 AM
  4. North Texas High School Steroid Football Scandal