More bad press for supplements (and Arnold)

UnicronSpawn

UnicronSpawn

Awards
  • Established
Well how do you like this sh*t?. Were getting caught in the media crossfire as anti supplement zealots use uninformed propaganda as ammunition against Arnold. Just read this today.

Schwarzenegger Ignores Criticism of Publishing Deal
His Role as Consultant to Fitness Magazines Called Conflict of Interest
By TOM CHORNEAU, AP

SACRAMENTO (July 15) - Despite a chorus of criticism, Gov. Arnold Schwarzengger largely ignored claims that a multimillion-dollar deal with a fitness magazine publisher poses a conflict of interest.

Schwarzenegger last year vetoed legislation seeking to crack down on the use of performance-enhancing substances in high school sports. Nutritional supplements represent a major source of advertising income for the fitness magazines.

Getty Images​
Critics, like the one above, contend that Schwarzenegger's consultancy contract with a magazine publisher is a conflict of interest. Some of the magazines' biggest advertisers are diet supplement makers who operate under state regulations.

Talk About It: Post Thoughts

But the governor's aides maintain that Schwarzenegger believes strongly in the use of nutritional supplements and is allowed under the law to maintain business relationships that he's had since his days as a bodybuilder.

"These are deeply held beliefs that he's had a long time before he became governor," said Rob Stutzman, Schwarzenegger's communications director. "And these are publications that he has been associated with his entire adult life and will continue to be."

A Securities and Exchange Commission filing showed Schwarzenegger is being paid at least $5 million over five years to act as a consultant for several magazines published by American Media Inc., including Flex and Muscle & Fitness. The publications derive much of their profit from firms advertising nutritional supplements.

One lawmaker said the arrangement presents a conflict of interest and asked the governor to cut ties with the magazines.

"The governor of the state of California makes some important decisions everyday. Today, he has to make a decision about a conflict of interest -- his own," said state Sen. Jackie Speier, D-Hillsborough, who sponsored the bill to crack down on performance-enhancing substances for teenagers. "It's time for him to step up and show some leadership."

Not so, said Stutzman. "There is no technical conflict," he said.

He said the arrangement was fully disclosed last spring when Schwarzenegger announced he would become executive editor of the two magazines. The governor also filed a financial report with the state saying he was being paid, although the filing did not specify the amount.

Stutzman said the business relationship did not create a conflict because Schwarzenegger had no contact with the magazines' advertisers.

"There's not a direct link to the governor's activities and supplements," Stutzman said in an interview. "There may be an indirect one that can be suggested, but the governor is not out there selling advertising for the supplement industry."

The governor does not accept his $175,000 annual salary from the state, and California law allows elected officials to keep outside jobs.

The contract between Weider Publications, a subsidiary of American Media, and Schwarzenegger's production company, Oak Productions Inc., states that Schwarzenegger will receive 1 percent of the magazines' advertising revenue each year for five years. The payment will be no less than $1 million a year but could reach much higher, according to the contract.

Schwarzenegger's lone public event Thursday was a brief appearance at a west Los Angles high school before a federal commission charged with recommending a list of military base closures. He avoided a large group of reporters before the appearance, and afterward, waved but did not speak to reporters shouting questions from behind a fence.

Government watchdog groups reacted swiftly to the financial arrangement revealed in the SEC filing.

"He has broken his trust to the people by vetoing legislation to protect young people from dangerous supplements without ever telling us that he is earning millions of dollars from these companies," said Doug Heller, executive director of the Foundation for Taxpayer and Consumer Rights in Santa Monica.

Experts and lawmakers differed about whether Schwarzenegger's contract with the magazines and his veto of the Speier bill represented a conflict.

One government expert said Schwarzenegger's veto was acceptable because Speier's bill had the potential to affect an industry rather than an individual or specific entity.

"There's considered to be an exemption from disqualification on industry bills," said Bob Stern of the Center for Governmental Studies in Los Angeles.

The governor's financial disclosure filings with the state show only that he received an undisclosed amount from American Media, which also publishes The National Enquirer, Star and other celebrity tabloids.

Schwarzenegger writes monthly columns for Muscle & Fitness and Flex, and last year announced that he had agreed to serve as executive editor for both.

The bill Schwarzenegger vetoed last year would have required high school athletes to pledge not to use performance-enhancing substances, created a list of banned substances and barred supplement makers from sponsoring school events.

In his veto message, Schwarzenegger said key parts of the bill were unclear and that it was focused erroneously on dietary supplements rather than on steroids, which he has acknowledged using during his bodybuilding career. Speier at the time said the governor was putting the interests of supplement makers above the well-being of student athletes.

Associated Press Writers Beth Fouhy in San Francisco, and Michael Blood and Alex Veiga in Los Angeles contributed to this report.

07/15/05 03:17:ED

I tried to get it to show the results of the poll but it didnt work, so Ill just tell you...... 49% voted yes, 45% voted no, and the other 6% were unsure out of nearly 80,000 votes. So either the majority of americans share this proportion of extreme negative and uninformed opinion on supps, or maybe its just aol users.
What bothers me most about this article is the fact that so many people are brainwashed by this mentality, and refuse to simply educate themselves. It doesnt help that the media uses "performance enhancing" to describe ANY type of sports supplement. When in all reality many dietary supps can improve health EVEN IN THE AGE GROUP THEESE PEOPLE THINK THEY ARE TRYING TO PROTECT. Articles like this further the innacurate stereotype that is turning more and more people into ignorant supplement hating drones. Damn that makes me mad. How about you guys?

Last edited by a moderator:

surfero6

Awards
Total Bull. The entire anti supplement movement is not based in fact at all; instead it is being spearheaded by the FDA which stands to make more money off of illness than it does from health.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
yippy, the LA Times. Always reporting the news, keeping us safe from terrorists, and protecting our freedom.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
yippy, the LA Times. Always reporting the news, keeping us safe from terrorists, and protecting our freedom.
Yep, they do keep the terrorist safe from us, and us safe from steroids, don't they? :D

Oh well...I'll just continue to shop UG when/if **** hits the fan. **** our media, our spineless politicians, and the sheeple that make up the worlds population :rant:

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Hey, ask Kenny Rogers where defense starts....

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
Of course they will keep pounding the Govenator. Just as I'll keep giving him props.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
What a crock of ****. I'd bet money that not ONE of those assholes trying to push for legislation of nutritional supplements has never in their lives tried to improve themselves physically.

It's almost like trying to get in shape and have big muscles is starting to be viewed as 'wrong' by some people. Jealous fat-ass people.

Arnold wasnt doing anything wrong, although I do think bodybuilding mags are filled with pages and pages of bullshit. I wonder if he'll run for government again, after getting a taste of the plethora of sissy whineass bitches that fester on the US' politcal landscape like a cancer.

BV

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
What a crock of ****. I'd bet money that not ONE of those assholes trying to push for legislation of nutritional supplements has never in their lives tried to improve themselves physically.

It's almost like trying to get in shape and have big muscles is starting to be viewed as 'wrong' by some people. Jealous fat-ass people.

Arnold wasnt doing anything wrong, although I do think bodybuilding mags are filled with pages and pages of bullshit. I wonder if he'll run for government again, after getting a taste of the plethora of sissy whineass bitches that fester on the US' politcal landscape like a cancer.

BV
I don't think this will stop him; he's too cocky to give up so easily. He's probably out to prove a point to himself and the rest of the world.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
What point? He should just give it up and make Predator 3:)

BV

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Hell yes! If T3 was any indicator, he still looks really good - and at his age he'd be a perfect King Conan.

littleJ

Awards
HIPPIES all of them! I hate them they smell and dont like supplements! What kills me is that they are doing this to Schwarzenegger because they dont like him.
No other flippin reason.

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
I have noticed that not many of the people complaining on here are from California

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
Just wondering, what the opinion of the governor from the people that live there...

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Just wondering, what the opinion of the governor from the people that live there...
His numbers are in the toilet, but IMHO its b/c Cali is composed of a bunch of retards. Have you seen the statistics on this place? I mean, a large chunk of the population can't READ OR WRITE enough to function properly in society. Near half of LAUSD's students don't graduate high school. There are some cities here where the MAJORITY of people don't speak english, and with all of this going on, we've got legislation going through in certain places that is just ludicrous! E.G. I forgot which county it was, but its got a high african american population, so they're going to teach kids in "Ebonics" as if it were a foreign language. Excluding them from normal English speakers. This place is going to hell. Arnold is really working hard, but he "appears" to be losing his back-bone and hes in a state that is overwhelmingly comprised of morons. (I'm moving the hell out as soon as I finish school and save a little $--this place keeps getting worse.)

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
Well one of LA County's main problems is that the school system is unifed, one system for the entire county... way to big and unresponsive. The non English speaking population has been growing across the US but it is bigger at major border crossing, like SD, so you end up with entire part of the population that is functionally illilterate. The entire ebonics thing was a crock of crap, but I have a feeling it in some way done to try to help some of these kids that the school is missing, but in the end it missed the point. As for the state being comprised of morons, trust me, they are much better than some of the things that happen in my state, AL.. I just don't think that he really appreciated exactly what he is was getting into.. for your first political job, I wouldn't have picked the state of California... you know what I mean... that would be like taking a 1st year teacher with a BS from U of Fragglerock and putting them in as department chair of Harvard...

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
before i left, all i heard was criticism from the 'public' about arnold. i really don't know a lot about politics or **** like that but it looked to me that he was really making an effort to get the state out of debt and it was pissing people the way he was going about it. of course, none of these people have solutions, just complaints. easy to point the finger.

snakebyte05

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I personally like him that he is trying to do stuff. Many of us here wish things would get done and he is trying to. I respect him completely for this (Im guessing most here would agree). I also think ca. has gone down hill. I have nothing wrong with people coming over from other countries, but learn to speak damn english! I am tired of people who can barely speak english or even comunicate. It brings down this country with the fact that it slows everyone down. That is my only pet peeve with people coming here from other countries.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
I personally like him that he is trying to do stuff. Many of us here wish things would get done and he is trying to. I respect him completely for this (Im guessing most here would agree). I also think ca. has gone down hill. I have nothing wrong with people coming over from other countries, but learn to speak damn english! I am tired of people who can barely speak english or even comunicate. It brings down this country with the fact that it slows everyone down. That is my only pet peeve with people coming here from other countries.
No joke, right? You're expected to assimilate everywhere you go except here, where you are ENCOURAGED NOT to assimilate into American culture. There is a huge problem with crime and welfare among these immigrant / minority groups; maybe if they learned their damn english they could get jobs and it wouldn't be a problem, right? it would really help if they stopped trying to be <enter country here> americans and just be freggin' "American" plain and simple.

Cali is really screwed. you have to live here to understnad exactly how bad it is. You don't hear it "all" unless you can live here and get all of our news/radio/local tv, etc.

Mrs. Gimpy

Mrs. Gimpy

Awards
No joke, right? You're expected to assimilate everywhere you go except here, where you are ENCOURAGED NOT to assimilate into American culture. There is a huge problem with crime and welfare among these immigrant / minority groups; maybe if they learned their damn english they could get jobs and it wouldn't be a problem, right? it would really help if they stopped trying to be <enter country here> americans and just be freggin' "American" plain and simple.

Cali is really screwed. you have to live here to understnad exactly how bad it is. You don't hear it "all" unless you can live here and get all of our news/radio/local tv, etc.
u think ur mr. know it all huh....lol im just kidding....I AM UR STALKER MUAHHAAAA

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
u think ur mr. know it all huh....lol im just kidding....I AM UR STALKER MUAHHAAAA
Hahaha....hey baby :) What r u doing here? OMG...Cashew in ur avatar, eh? hahahah...ur too much :D

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established

I live in NY, but I agree with you. I have no issues with accepting other cultures, but when other cultures come into MY country and decide that they will NOT accept our culture, I have a problem. That would be like me moving to Japan and deciding I'm NOT going to learn Japanese, and then treating everyone who spoke Japanese like ****.

BV

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
I live in NY, but I agree with you. I have no issues with accepting other cultures, but when other cultures come into MY country and decide that they will NOT accept our culture, I have a problem. That would be like me moving to Japan and deciding I'm NOT going to learn Japanese, and then treating everyone who spoke Japanese like ****.

BV
Then start demanding that they teach everything in English for you...watch how they laugh, right?

Americans need to wake up....atleast a few of us get it :D

UnicronSpawn

UnicronSpawn

Awards
  • Established
IM from CA too but I live in Mass (for school) but I still spend about 2 months out of every year in CA. In fact Im in CA right now as I write this. But I mostly spent my time in Santa Cruz wich is kinda like another planet than the rest of cali. Its actually a pretty cool place to live but rediculously expensive. But my mail concern for posting that article was not the distraght condition of my state of origin, but the effect anti supplement propaganda has on the "morons" perception of supplements. Im worried that the next legislation will completely derail DSHEA and knock the fitness world upside the dome. Not that I dont give a rats ass about CA's problems with education, and immigration. Immigration was the original reason marijuana was criminalized.
Before that people could get a permit if they smoked it, (allthough there was a couple catch 22's with that system.) They thought all the weed smoking Mexicans would leave if they outlawed pot. Obviously that plan worked superbly. Personally I dont really have a problem with people who come into this country as long as they are cool to me. And different parts of CA seem to have different conditions and a different set of problems. Sacremento, San Francisco, LA, San Jose, SD, and my home town SC, are all like different cultures. Bottom line for me though: I am opposed to anything that will influence legislation to take away more rights.

surfero6

Awards
Immigration was the original reason marijuana was criminalized.
Before that people could get a permit if they smoked it, (allthough there was a couple catch 22's with that system.) They thought all the weed smoking Mexicans would leave if they outlawed pot. Obviously that plan worked superbly. .
Marijuana was made illegal when the DuPont company pushed the U.S. government to start the prohibition. DuPont had just made nylon rope and did not have any selling power as hemp rope was superior and cheaper.

Didn't you ever wonder why you can't grow just hemp?

Marijuana was made illegal so that hemp could be made illegal.

sorry for going so far off topic.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
There was also something about paper made from hemb being superior to paper made from trees, and a big paper tycoon , William Randolph Hearst, had invested a large sum of money into wood-based paper production. So of course he pushed vehemently for the prohibition and demonization of marijuana.

Its pretty sick, if you think about it. Every year, millions of acres of timberland get destroyed to produce products that could be easily manufactured from hemb fibers.

Most plastic products can be made from hempseed oil.

The diesel engine was originally made to run on hempseed oil-based fuels, and hempseed oils (and other vegetable oils, for that matter) can actually be converted to diesel fuel through a releatively simple chemical reaction.

Hempseed oil is a near-perfect source of EFA's.

And finally, the most important reason why marijuana should be legalized:

Arnold smokes pot at the end of "Pumping Iron"
:D

Seriously though...its disgusting what people do in the name of $$$, marijuana's pschoactive effects aside, it IS a very useful plant and could be very beneficial to our society and our environment.

BV

AgnosticFront

AgnosticFront

Awards
:goodpost:

I'm from san diego and honestly i dont see alot of the problems you guys are talking about. hardly any people i see dont speak english... LA on the other hand is a different story. Perhaps you guys are talking about san ysidro or something?

but yeah, legalize it. and stop fucking with arnold stupidpencilneckedsonsofbitches.

The Experiment

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
You'd think LA would support such measures given their flash over substance mentality.

California is a wreck if you ask me.