Scientists Bring Frozen Dogs Back to Life!

joecski

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I like how the article calls them 'zombie dogs' and shows a picture of a crazed wolf-like dog with its fangs out. If this is true, I expect several strong responses from various religious groups condemning this. After all, some may see this as creating Frankensteins. Is there a moral rule that covers killing someone than bringing them back to life??? :blink:
Bet that isn't in any religious doctrine.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Ill be the first one on the asteroid ship!

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
I like how the article calls them 'zombie dogs' and shows a picture of a crazed wolf-like dog with its fangs out. If this is true, I expect several strong responses from various religious groups condemning this. After all, some may see this as creating Frankensteins. Is there a moral rule that covers killing someone than bringing them back to life??? :blink:
Bet that isn't in any religious doctrine.
Lazarus, though God supposedly did both, determined his time to die and raised him. Must not have smelled too good. They've been messing around with stuff like this for a while now. More often than not there was some neurological damage in some of the subjects, but some were fine too. The implications aren't that great right now for interstellar travel. It's a very, very long jump from putting living things under for a few hours vs a few hundred to a thousand years. It's a nice neat step though.

I think the short term implications are bigger. When they start putting people down and bringing them back, the questions will come flying in. Did you see anything? Did you have any consciousness? Is it really comparable to death? The potential to learn the answers to some serious philosophical/scientific questions about death is there now. The main and most immediate benefit will be to keep transplantable organs alive longer, as the potential for transplants is often limited by the fact that there might be someone with a compatible organ, but they're too far away to donate it because it wouldn't get to the recipient in time.

joecski

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I think the short term implications are bigger. When they start putting people down and bringing them back, the questions will come flying in. Did you see anything? Did you have any consciousness? Is it really comparable to death? The potential to learn the answers to some serious philosophical/scientific questions about death is there now. .
I may be showing my age here, but the movie "flatliners" dealt with this same premise, people dying and being brought back and seeing some weird ****. Except they bought their 'visions' back with them. I really didn't like the movie, but that is what your post reminded me of.
It does look like the best bet to see this is on the battlefields, where it could really affect mortality rates. The military also could begin the procedure without really letting the rest of us know for years, getting around the debate on morality.

greenside

Awards
While this is definitely cool (literally speaking :sad: ), I do not know if you can call these dogs dead. Profound hypothermia mimics clinical death. People with profound hypothermia can be resuscitated successfully with good neurologic outcomes. There is a saying that your not dead until you are warm and dead. Hypothermia is one of the few instances in an ER in which resuscitative efforts should be continued beyond 10min of pulselessness. They are continued until the body temperature is above like 95 degrees. I think this is probably along the same lines only in an extreme way. Great article.

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Ok, who's going to be the first to volunteer for human trials?!

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
This is ridiculously awesome! Ohhh, how freggin' exciting is this!!!! :eek: Maybe I will get to bang girls in the year 3000!!! :twisted:

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
..... the questions will come flying in. Did you see anything? Did you have any consciousness? Is it really comparable to death? The potential to learn the answers to some serious philosophical/scientific questions about death is there now....
yeah....good point, i didn't think of this.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
While this is definitely cool (literally speaking :sad: ), I do not know if you can call these dogs dead. Profound hypothermia mimics clinical death. People with profound hypothermia can be resuscitated successfully with good neurologic outcomes. There is a saying that your not dead until you are warm and dead. Hypothermia is one of the few instances in an ER in which resuscitative efforts should be continued beyond 10min of pulselessness. They are continued until the body temperature is above like 95 degrees. I think this is probably along the same lines only in an extreme way. Great article.
Yeah, that's why I threw the last question in. Even though it's like coming back from the dead in reality it's more like a bear coming out of hybernation. So would they be comparable? Who knows. The other poster mentioned Flatliners. Like him, I didn't like the movie itself. Could have been done a lot better. But my friends and I were stoned one night a long time ago and talking on this subject, about bringing people back after clinical death. One guy asked if someone was brought back, maybe they never left. Which led to the idea that dying isn't something that happens all at once, but a process that takes time. The fucked up part is someone suggested sensation might stick with you for a while after you 'die.' Ever since then i've been scared of dying and being autopsied while I could still feel them cutting into me and pulling my organs out.

That's why when I die, I want no cutting, no embalming, and more importantly no burial. Burn me. That way, if there is some sensation after death it's just a few minutes of pain for me, then out like a light. Otherwise I'd have to hang around in a coffin feeling myself rot. Not good.

natiels

natiels

Board Supporter
Awards
Even though it's like coming back from the dead in reality it's more like a bear coming out of hybernation.
Good Point

Kinda like when you stick meat in the freezer. The bacteria on it that would normally cause it to rot just slooowwwws way down(maybe suspended) then when you take it out it warms up and starts moving again and if left long enough will cause the meat to rot. In this case the bacteria was never really dead.

200wannabe

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
There was a full article about this in New Scientist... fascinating stuff!!

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Even though it's like coming back from the dead in reality it's more like a bear coming out of hybernation.
Kind of - but you've got to think all the blood was taken out of these dogs and replaced with saline solution. They're dead as a doorknob.

BV

asap nutrition

Awards
  • Established
Cool sh*t! IP travel seems like something we'll see in our lifetime considering the aforementioned; as well as the advances in nuclear and ion propulsion.
Maybe but I am not sure of any Inter planetary travel at extreme distances though. Yes to planets such as Mars. But ION Propulsion is still in its experimental infant stage and it will probably be extremely expensive in its initial maturity stages. Plus it is just propulsion and life expectancy problems that will be issues but also terrain, atmospheric pressures and chemical compositions of particular planets.

Travel to Jupitor or Saturn would kill humans because of the extreme atmospheric pressure and some of the chemical compositions. Mars is really the only IP travel will we see in our lifetime and maybe travel to nearby Astroids. But have any of you ever wondered how we can talk about possible IP travel yet we haven't been to the moon in over 30 years. I mean propulsion is more advance now and computational processes are more advanced.
We have more qualified and trained astronomical physists, better trained and knowledgeable astronauts but yet we still haven't been to the moon in over 30 years. Then China states they wish to have man space travel by 2008 and visit the moon before 2013 and now the US has ambitions to re-visit the moon by 2020?

Wonder if China and Pakistan team up with there space programs and launch man to the moon and they find no signs of satelite terrain vehicles, the US flag or debris from lauches to escape the Moon's gravity to travel back to earth. Those statements make you go hmmm..

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Yeah that would surely piss a lot of people off!! I really doubt the US faked the moon landing though...

IMO, we wont see humans doing any serious interplanetary travel until we find a way to hyperjump/superluminal travel/fold space/etc. Think about it, even at the speed of light the nearest galaxy with planets that could possibly support life is hundreds of light years away. You'd need humans in cryo-stasis going near-light speed just to get there. And by the time they did everyone back here would have aged thousands of years.

So - the only real cause to put a bunch of humans in another star system would be mass species migration. Either the Earth is failing, or we're severely overpopulated (in which case the planet has ways of taking care of that on her own)...

It surely wont happen in our lifetimes, unless someone just gives us the technology.

BV