Diet soda makes you fat

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Exclamation Diet soda makes you fat


    WebMD - Drink More Diet Soda, Gain More Weight

    Drink More Diet Soda, Gain More Weight


    By Daniel DeNoon
    WebMD Medical News Reviewed By Charlotte Grayson, MD
    on Monday, June 13, 2005
    June 13, 2005 -- People who drink diet soft drinks don't lose weight. In fact, they gain weight, a new study shows.

    The findings come from eight years of data collected by Sharon P. Fowler, MPH, and colleagues at the University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio. Fowler reported the data at the annual meeting of the American Diabetes Association in San Diego.

    "What didn't surprise us was that total soft drink use was linked to overweight and obesity," Fowler tells WebMD. "What was surprising was when we looked at people only drinking diet soft drinks, their risk of obesity was even higher."

    In fact, when the researchers took a closer look at their data, they found that nearly all the obesity risk from soft drinks came from diet sodas.


    "There was a 41% increase in risk of being overweight for every can or bottle of diet soft drink a person consumes each day," Fowler says.

    More Diet Drinks, More Weight Gain

    Fowler's team looked at seven to eight years of data on 1,550 Mexican-American and non-Hispanic white Americans aged 25 to 64. Of the 622 study participants who were of normal weight at the beginning of the study, about a third became overweight or obese.

    For regular soft-drink drinkers, the risk of becoming overweight or obese was:

    • 26% for up to 1/2 can each day
    • 30.4% for 1/2 to one can each day
    • 32.8% for 1 to 2 cans each day
    • 47.2% for more than 2 cans each day.
    For diet soft-drink drinkers, the risk of becoming overweight or obese was:

    • 36.5% for up to 1/2 can each day
    • 37.5% for 1/2 to one can each day
    • 54.5% for 1 to 2 cans each day
    • 57.1% for more than 2 cans each day.
    For each can of diet soft drink consumed each day, a person's risk of obesity went up 41%.


    Diet Soda No Smoking Gun

    Diet Soda No Smoking Gun

    Fowler is quick to note that a study of this kind does not prove that diet soda causes obesity. More likely, she says, it shows that something linked to diet soda drinking is also linked to obesity.

    "One possible part of the explanation is that people who see they are beginning to gain weight may be more likely to switch from regular to diet soda," Fowler suggests. "But despite their switching, their weight may continue to grow for other reasons. So diet soft-drink use is a marker for overweight and obesity."

    Why? Nutrition expert Leslie Bonci, MPH, RD, puts it in a nutshell.

    "You have to look at what's on your plate, not just what's in your glass," Bonci tells WebMD.

    People often mistake diet drinks for diets, says Bonci, director of sports nutrition at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center and nutrition consultant to college and professional sports teams and to the Pittsburgh Ballet.

    "A lot of people say, 'I am drinking a diet soft drink because that is better for me. But soft drinks by themselves are not the root of America's obesity problem," she says. "You can't go into a fast-food restaurant and say, 'Oh, it's OK because I had diet soda.' If you don't do anything else but switch to a diet soft drink, you are not going to lose weight."


    The Mad Hatter Theory

    The Mad Hatter Theory

    "Take some more tea," the March Hare said to Alice, very earnestly.
    "I've had nothing yet," Alice replied in an offended tone, "so I can't take more."
    "You mean you can't take less," said the Hatter: "It's very easy to take more than nothing."
    Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

    There is actually a way that diet drinks could contribute to weight gain, Fowler suggests.

    She remembers being struck by the scene in Alice's Adventures in Wonderland in which Alice is offended because she is offered tea but is given none -- even though she hadn't asked for tea in the first place. So she helps herself to tea and bread and butter.

    That may be just what happens when we offer our bodies the sweet taste of diet drinks, but give them no calories. Fowler points to a recent study in which feeding artificial sweeteners to rat pups made them crave more calories than animals fed real sugar.

    "If you offer your body something that tastes like a lot of calories, but it isn't there, your body is alerted to the possibility that there is something there and it will search for the calories promised but not delivered," Fowler says.

    Perhaps, Bonci says, our bodies are smarter than we think.

    "People think they can just fool the body. But maybe the body isn't fooled," she says. "If you are not giving your body those calories you promised it, maybe your body will retaliate by wanting more calories. Some soft drink studies do suggest that diet drinks stimulate appetite."

    SOURCES: Fowler, S.P. 65th Annual Scientific Sessions, American Diabetes Association, San Diego, June 10-14, 2005; Abstract 1058-P. Sharon P. Fowler, MPH, University of Texas Health Science Center School of Medicine, San Antonio. Leslie Bonci, MPH, RD, director, sports nutrition, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. WebMD News: "Artificial Sweeteners May Damage Diet Efforts.""Artificial Sweeteners May Damage Diet Efforts." Davidson, T.L. International Journal of Obesity, July 2004; vol 28: pp 933-955.


  2. The diet soda might increase appetite, but it does not make a person fat. Unless, of course, they give in to the cravings. In the end it is the lack of self control and a readily available source of empty calories that makes people obese.
    •   
       


  3. I've been using a good amount of splenda and I haven't given in to a single craving in almost 8 weeks.

  4. This article merely supports my claims on aspartame. Most diet sodas are still aspartame-sweetened and as I said, for many people, aspartame causes increased cravings and weight gain. (Formaldehyde tends to do that) Headaches, too, since it is an excitotoxin. I suspect that as other sweeteners such as Splenda become more commonly used, we will see a difference in study results.
  5. Cool


    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn
    This article merely supports my claims on aspartame. Most diet sodas are still aspartame-sweetened and as I said, for many people, aspartame causes increased cravings and weight gain. (Formaldehyde tends to do that) Headaches, too, since it is an excitotoxin. I suspect that as other sweeteners such as Splenda become more commonly used, we will see a difference in study results.
    Like it's not all the booze people add to their diet cokes that would cause you to gain weight.
    Or that bag of chips they eat with their diet sodas?


    Most of the stuff you hear about how bad aspartame is for you is urban myth.
    Check the fda site for the real low down on it.
    •   
       


  6. Or it's just the typical America order:

    Waiter: "Are you ready to order?"

    Idiot: "Give me a triple bacon cheese burger with fried onions and blue cheese dressing, a feedbag of french fries, the one with the ear hooks, and a ten pound oreo delite ice cream sunday for dessert."

    Waiter: "Anything to drink?"

    Idiot: "A small diet coke please."

  7. Check the fda site for the real low down on it.
    LOLOLOL Did you just say that? Re-read your words. The FDA site. The same FDA that says Vioxx is ok. The same FDA that banned ephedra because in the case of 150 people over 20 years it "might" have contributed to their deaths. Meanwhile Prozac kills hundreds, if not thousands, and is prescribed like candy. The same FDA that seized stevia extract because it was "unsafe" while there have been no studies to show this, while protecting aspartame, noting that many FDA board members were former NutraSweet company officials? The FDA is a corrupt entity, my friend. Trusting what they say as valid is like believing that prohormones are the root of all evil.

    Like it's not all the booze people add to their diet cokes that would cause you to gain weight.
    Or that bag of chips they eat with their diet sodas?
    Ok, so we can agree that alcohol is bad for you, but not a chemical which is "uniquely unstable in aqueous media"? That claim was from the National Soft Drink Association. You ever wonder why most people don't use aspartame in baked goods or why Spenda became so popular in manufacturing, so fast? It's because it's a more stable molecule, which does not break down at baking temperatures into formaldehyde like aspartame does. Many companies that would not touch aspartame now use Splenda in their products. It could be said that Splenda made possible the low carb and Atkins craze that occurred a few years ago. As for the bag of chips, MSG, saturated fat, trans fat- no wonder the world is getting fatter!

  8. Coke & Pepsi have their splenda sweetened diet drinks out now - Diet Coke w/ Splenda and Pepsi One - I had the DC when I was in the states in June..MUCH better tasting than the aspartame sweetened DC & it didn't give me the awful gas that I usually got from drinking the aspartame DC or DP..

  9. The only reason anything is said there about aspartame is b/c with excessive use it can be harmful to thyroid function. How that will effect each person individually, who knows. I choose to use the DC with Splenda here and there b/c I cannot stand the taste of regular diet coke.

    I also stay far far away from anything that has to do with the FDA as they are almost as bad as the media.

  10. The title to this thread is misleading and completely and utterly false.

    BULL****!

  11. Yea, unfortunately for us Canucks (at least here in the GTA) I haven't seen a single store with the brand-name splenda sweetened diet drinks (Coke, Pepsi)..however the Great Value brand from Walmart has the splenda sweetened diet drinks..

    Definately a huge difference in taste (and for me, the elimination of the gassy side effects of aspartame)

  12. Interesting study overall, but absolutely no relavence to the vast majority of the bodybuilding community.

    The results speak volumes about the ignorance of the N.American public WRT dieting and nutrition.

  13. Oh yes, that article really proves a lot.

    People are so gullible that they will spout all the urban myths about it.
    Hell, there are people out there that say that Splenda is causing them all kinds of health problems.

    For every study out there that "proves" it's dangerous to use there's another that says it's not.
    I've been using it since it came out, no adverse reactions or effects.

  14. Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn
    LOLOLOL Did you just say that? Re-read your words. The FDA site. The same FDA that says Vioxx is ok. The same FDA that banned ephedra because in the case of 150 people over 20 years it "might" have contributed to their deaths. Meanwhile Prozac kills hundreds, if not thousands, and is prescribed like candy. The same FDA that seized stevia extract because it was "unsafe" while there have been no studies to show this, while protecting aspartame, noting that many FDA board members were former NutraSweet company officials? The FDA is a corrupt entity, my friend. Trusting what they say as valid is like believing that prohormones are the root of all evil.


    Ok, so we can agree that alcohol is bad for you, but not a chemical which is "uniquely unstable in aqueous media"? That claim was from the National Soft Drink Association. You ever wonder why most people don't use aspartame in baked goods or why Spenda became so popular in manufacturing, so fast? It's because it's a more stable molecule, which does not break down at baking temperatures into formaldehyde like aspartame does. Many companies that would not touch aspartame now use Splenda in their products. It could be said that Splenda made possible the low carb and Atkins craze that occurred a few years ago. As for the bag of chips, MSG, saturated fat, trans fat- no wonder the world is getting fatter!
    Great post! I'd rep you if we had rep points

  15. Quote Originally Posted by Y2Jversion1
    Yea, unfortunately for us Canucks (at least here in the GTA) I haven't seen a single store with the brand-name splenda sweetened diet drinks (Coke, Pepsi)
    ****. Amen to that .

    Quote Originally Posted by Y2Jversion1
    however the Great Value brand from Walmart has the splenda sweetened diet drinks..

    Definately a huge difference in taste (and for me, the elimination of the gassy side effects of aspartame)
    No ****? I am going to check that out tonight. If you could rank the following on a scale of 1-10 wrt to taste:

    Diet Pepsi
    Diet Coke
    Walmart Brand Diet Coke
    (Other Walmart Brands)

    Thanks alot.

  16. Quote Originally Posted by Stay Puft

    No ****? I am going to check that out tonight. If you could rank the following on a scale of 1-10 wrt to taste:

    Diet Pepsi
    Diet Coke
    Walmart Brand Diet Coke
    (Other Walmart Brands)

    Thanks alot.
    Diet Pepsi - 2
    Diet Coke - 3
    Walmart Brand Diet Coke - 1
    (Other Walmart Brands)

    The ballsmart brand tastes pretty much like regular Coke...

  17. Quote Originally Posted by Magickk
    Great post! I'd rep you if we had rep points
    I guess the board recently got rid of the rep points function.

  18. "Aspartame makes you fatter"
    Sandra Cabot, M.D.
    http://aspartame.com/aspartam.htm

    ASPARTAME MAKES YOU FATTER!
    Position Statement from Sandra Cabot, M.D.,
    I have been a medical doctor for 23 years and have clinical and research interests in the liver and metabolism. I have authored several best selling health books including the "Liver Cleansing Diet", "The Body Shaping Diet", "Don't Let Your Hormones Ruin Your Life", "Women's Health",

    "Menopause and Natural Hormone Replacement Therapy" and I lecture internationally on these subjects. I have been consulted by thousands of patients with weight problems, hormonal imbalances, fatty liver, sluggish metabolism and chronic ill health. I have been an advocate and practitioner of nutritional methods of healing for 30 years. I regularly appear on national television and broadcast on many radio stations to educate people about the importance of a healthy liver in achieving good health and weight control!

    In the interests of public health I am making a position statement concerning the use of the artificial sweetener called aspartame and sold most commonly under the names of NutraSweet and Equal. One must ask, "why do millions of people ingest a toxic chemical like aspartame everyday"? To me it appears ridiculous and I believe that it is because people have been brainwashed into thinking aspartame will keep their weight down and is good for health. It also shows me that we have lost touch with our own natural senses and instincts.

    After having been consulted by thousands of overweight people suffering with problems concerning the liver and/or metabolism I can assure you that aspartame will not help you in any way, indeed it will help you to gain unwanted weight. This has been my experience, and there are logical reasons to explain the fattening and bloating effects of aspartame. When you ingest the toxic chemical aspartame it is absorbed from the intestines and passes immediately to the LIVER where it is taken inside the liver via the liver filter. The liver then breaks down or metabolizes aspartame to its toxic components - phenylalanine, aspartic acid and methanol. This process requires a lot of energy from the liver which means there will be less energy remaining in the liver cells. This means the liver cells will have less energy for fat burning and metabolism, which will result in fat storing. Excess fat may build up inside the liver cells causing "fatty liver" and when this starts to occur it is extremely difficult to lose weight. In my vast experience any time that you overload the liver you will increase the tendency to gain weight easily. Aspartame also causes weight gain by other mechanisms ---Causes unstable blood sugar levels, which increases the appetite and causes cravings for sweets/sugar. Thus it is particularly toxic for those with diabetes or epilepsy. Causes fluid retention giving the body a puffy and bloated appearance. This makes people look fatter than they are and increases cellulite.

    To discover more about the liver look up my web site - liverdoctor.com, and to learn more about natural sugars that are better for the liver and weight, read my books "The Liver Cleansing Diet" and "Boost Your Energy".

  19. Quote Originally Posted by WhutEvr
    Like it's not all the booze people add to their diet cokes



    there's something wrong with that?

    Personally I just say stay away from the soda period..I only drink soda (diet)..when mixing with alcohol..lol..which isn't that often anyway. or the occasional can of diet pepsi which i never finish..

    water and green tea are my staple drinks..

    h19
  20. Ghosting
    Ghosting's Avatar

    Aspartame, an artificial sweetener distributed under several trade names (e.g., Nutrasweet or Equal), was approved in 1981 by the FDA after tests showed that it did not cause cancer in laboratory animals. An analysis of then-current NCI statistics showed that the overall incidence of brain and central nervous system cancers began to rise in 1973, 8 years prior to the approval of aspartame. The FDA still considers aspartame safe.

  21. THe FDA considering it safe is a joke in itself.
  22. Ghosting
    Ghosting's Avatar

    Just a cut and paste.

  23. Oh no, let's not start that argument again. Even health professionals who don't slag aspartame admit it is unstable, epecially over long periods of time or in heat. What they don't say is what it breaks down into. If you tell the average American that "We have a new sweetener, it is chemically similar to formaldehyde, formic acid, methanol and a cancer-causing agent called DKP... oh and it also may kill brain neurons.." do you think they would buy it?

    Last time this was argued (do a board search) I posted tons of research showing that the only studies done on aspartame that claim 100% safety were funded by the NutraSweet company. 92% of independent studies showed at least some problem. The FDA is populated by ex-NutraSweet company execs. The man behind the "un-banning" (yes, it was banned prior to its approval) was none other than mover and shaker Donald Rumsfeld.

    There have been more complaints about aspartame than about any other substance in the history of the FDA with no action taken. Meanwhile, ephedra starts threatening the prescription diet industry and *poof* it's gone (against Federal law, according to the recent court decision). When we start taking their word for it is when the supplement industry has lost the battle.

  24. Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn
    "Aspartame makes you fatter"
    Sandra Cabot, M.D.
    http://aspartame.com/aspartam.htm

    After having been consulted by thousands of overweight people suffering with problems concerning the liver and/or metabolism I can assure you that aspartame will not help you in any way, indeed it will help you to gain unwanted weight. This has been my experience, and there are logical reasons to explain the fattening and bloating effects of aspartame. When you ingest the toxic chemical aspartame it is absorbed from the intestines and passes immediately to the LIVER where it is taken inside the liver via the liver filter. The liver then breaks down or metabolizes aspartame to its toxic components - phenylalanine, aspartic acid and methanol. This process requires a lot of energy from the liver which means there will be less energy remaining in the liver cells. This means the liver cells will have less energy for fat burning and metabolism, which will result in fat storing. Excess fat may build up inside the liver cells causing "fatty liver" and when this starts to occur it is extremely difficult to lose weight. In my vast experience any time that you overload the liver you will increase the tendency to gain weight easily. Aspartame also causes weight gain by other mechanisms ---Causes unstable blood sugar levels, which increases the appetite and causes cravings for sweets/sugar. Thus it is particularly toxic for those with diabetes or epilepsy. Causes fluid retention giving the body a puffy and bloated appearance. This makes people look fatter than they are and increases cellulite.[/size][/font]
    References? What doses? What types of diets are these individuals following?

    Brooklyn if you posted this with the intention of it helping your argument you failed miserably.
  25. Ghosting
    Ghosting's Avatar

    I forgot a eye roll in the most important part. I should have included an eye roll smiley at the end of my statement. So people could detect my internet sarcasm. I must have Alzhiemers.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. A reason why ethanol makes you fat....insulin.
    By LakeMountD in forum Supplements
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-09-2008, 02:23 PM
  2. Replies: 35
    Last Post: 11-06-2007, 10:46 PM
  3. Test pills make you fat?
    By 2big4u in forum Supplements
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-25-2007, 02:00 AM
  4. 7 Eating Styles That Make You Fat
    By yeahright in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-13-2006, 01:10 PM
Log in
Log in