Diet soda makes you fat

Brooklyn

Awards
WebMD - Drink More Diet Soda, Gain More Weight

Drink More Diet Soda, Gain More Weight

By Daniel DeNoon
WebMD Medical News Reviewed By Charlotte Grayson, MD
on Monday, June 13, 2005
June 13, 2005 -- People who drink diet soft drinks don't lose weight. In fact, they gain weight, a new study shows.

The findings come from eight years of data collected by Sharon P. Fowler, MPH, and colleagues at the University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio. Fowler reported the data at the annual meeting of the American Diabetes Association in San Diego.

"What didn't surprise us was that total soft drink use was linked to overweight and obesity," Fowler tells WebMD. "What was surprising was when we looked at people only drinking diet soft drinks, their risk of obesity was even higher."

In fact, when the researchers took a closer look at their data, they found that nearly all the obesity risk from soft drinks came from diet sodas.

"There was a 41% increase in risk of being overweight for every can or bottle of diet soft drink a person consumes each day," Fowler says.

More Diet Drinks, More Weight Gain

Fowler's team looked at seven to eight years of data on 1,550 Mexican-American and non-Hispanic white Americans aged 25 to 64. Of the 622 study participants who were of normal weight at the beginning of the study, about a third became overweight or obese.

For regular soft-drink drinkers, the risk of becoming overweight or obese was:

• 26% for up to 1/2 can each day
  • 30.4% for 1/2 to one can each day
  • 32.8% for 1 to 2 cans each day
  • 47.2% for more than 2 cans each day.
For diet soft-drink drinkers, the risk of becoming overweight or obese was:

• 36.5% for up to 1/2 can each day
  • 37.5% for 1/2 to one can each day
  • 54.5% for 1 to 2 cans each day
  • 57.1% for more than 2 cans each day.
For each can of diet soft drink consumed each day, a person's risk of obesity went up 41%.

Diet Soda No Smoking Gun

Diet Soda No Smoking Gun

Fowler is quick to note that a study of this kind does not prove that diet soda causes obesity. More likely, she says, it shows that something linked to diet soda drinking is also linked to obesity.

"One possible part of the explanation is that people who see they are beginning to gain weight may be more likely to switch from regular to diet soda," Fowler suggests. "But despite their switching, their weight may continue to grow for other reasons. So diet soft-drink use is a marker for overweight and obesity."

Why? Nutrition expert Leslie Bonci, MPH, RD, puts it in a nutshell.

"You have to look at what's on your plate, not just what's in your glass," Bonci tells WebMD.

People often mistake diet drinks for diets, says Bonci, director of sports nutrition at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center and nutrition consultant to college and professional sports teams and to the Pittsburgh Ballet.

"A lot of people say, 'I am drinking a diet soft drink because that is better for me. But soft drinks by themselves are not the root of America's obesity problem," she says. "You can't go into a fast-food restaurant and say, 'Oh, it's OK because I had diet soda.' If you don't do anything else but switch to a diet soft drink, you are not going to lose weight."

The Mad Hatter Theory

The Mad Hatter Theory

"Take some more tea," the March Hare said to Alice, very earnestly.
"I've had nothing yet," Alice replied in an offended tone, "so I can't take more."
"You mean you can't take less," said the Hatter: "It's very easy to take more than nothing."
Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

There is actually a way that diet drinks could contribute to weight gain, Fowler suggests.

She remembers being struck by the scene in Alice's Adventures in Wonderland in which Alice is offended because she is offered tea but is given none -- even though she hadn't asked for tea in the first place. So she helps herself to tea and bread and butter.

That may be just what happens when we offer our bodies the sweet taste of diet drinks, but give them no calories. Fowler points to a recent study in which feeding artificial sweeteners to rat pups made them crave more calories than animals fed real sugar.

"If you offer your body something that tastes like a lot of calories, but it isn't there, your body is alerted to the possibility that there is something there and it will search for the calories promised but not delivered," Fowler says.

Perhaps, Bonci says, our bodies are smarter than we think.

"People think they can just fool the body. But maybe the body isn't fooled," she says. "If you are not giving your body those calories you promised it, maybe your body will retaliate by wanting more calories. Some soft drink studies do suggest that diet drinks stimulate appetite."

SOURCES: Fowler, S.P. 65th Annual Scientific Sessions, American Diabetes Association, San Diego, June 10-14, 2005; Abstract 1058-P. Sharon P. Fowler, MPH, University of Texas Health Science Center School of Medicine, San Antonio. Leslie Bonci, MPH, RD, director, sports nutrition, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. WebMD News: "Artificial Sweeteners May Damage Diet Efforts.""Artificial Sweeteners May Damage Diet Efforts." Davidson, T.L. International Journal of Obesity, July 2004; vol 28: pp 933-955.

intrepid

Awards
The diet soda might increase appetite, but it does not make a person fat. Unless, of course, they give in to the cravings. In the end it is the lack of self control and a readily available source of empty calories that makes people obese.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I've been using a good amount of splenda and I haven't given in to a single craving in almost 8 weeks.

Brooklyn

Awards
This article merely supports my claims on aspartame. Most diet sodas are still aspartame-sweetened and as I said, for many people, aspartame causes increased cravings and weight gain. (Formaldehyde tends to do that) Headaches, too, since it is an excitotoxin. I suspect that as other sweeteners such as Splenda become more commonly used, we will see a difference in study results.

WhutEvr

Awards
  • Established
This article merely supports my claims on aspartame. Most diet sodas are still aspartame-sweetened and as I said, for many people, aspartame causes increased cravings and weight gain. (Formaldehyde tends to do that) Headaches, too, since it is an excitotoxin. I suspect that as other sweeteners such as Splenda become more commonly used, we will see a difference in study results.
Like it's not all the booze people add to their diet cokes that would cause you to gain weight.
Or that bag of chips they eat with their diet sodas?

Most of the stuff you hear about how bad aspartame is for you is urban myth.
Check the fda site for the real low down on it.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Or it's just the typical America order:

Waiter: "Are you ready to order?"

Idiot: "Give me a triple bacon cheese burger with fried onions and blue cheese dressing, a feedbag of french fries, the one with the ear hooks, and a ten pound oreo delite ice cream sunday for dessert."

Waiter: "Anything to drink?"

Idiot: "A small diet coke please."

Brooklyn

Awards
Check the fda site for the real low down on it.
LOLOLOL Did you just say that? Re-read your words. The FDA site. The same FDA that says Vioxx is ok. The same FDA that banned ephedra because in the case of 150 people over 20 years it "might" have contributed to their deaths. Meanwhile Prozac kills hundreds, if not thousands, and is prescribed like candy. The same FDA that seized stevia extract because it was "unsafe" while there have been no studies to show this, while protecting aspartame, noting that many FDA board members were former NutraSweet company officials? The FDA is a corrupt entity, my friend. Trusting what they say as valid is like believing that prohormones are the root of all evil.

Like it's not all the booze people add to their diet cokes that would cause you to gain weight.
Or that bag of chips they eat with their diet sodas?
Ok, so we can agree that alcohol is bad for you, but not a chemical which is "uniquely unstable in aqueous media"? That claim was from the National Soft Drink Association. You ever wonder why most people don't use aspartame in baked goods or why Spenda became so popular in manufacturing, so fast? It's because it's a more stable molecule, which does not break down at baking temperatures into formaldehyde like aspartame does. Many companies that would not touch aspartame now use Splenda in their products. It could be said that Splenda made possible the low carb and Atkins craze that occurred a few years ago. As for the bag of chips, MSG, saturated fat, trans fat- no wonder the world is getting fatter!

Y2Jversion1

Y2Jversion1

Board Supporter
Awards
Coke & Pepsi have their splenda sweetened diet drinks out now - Diet Coke w/ Splenda and Pepsi One - I had the DC when I was in the states in June..MUCH better tasting than the aspartame sweetened DC & it didn't give me the awful gas that I usually got from drinking the aspartame DC or DP..

cry0smate

cry0smate

The Chosen One
Awards
The only reason anything is said there about aspartame is b/c with excessive use it can be harmful to thyroid function. How that will effect each person individually, who knows. I choose to use the DC with Splenda here and there b/c I cannot stand the taste of regular diet coke.

I also stay far far away from anything that has to do with the FDA as they are almost as bad as the media.

oldfart

oldfart

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
The title to this thread is misleading and completely and utterly false.

BULLSHIT!

Y2Jversion1

Y2Jversion1

Board Supporter
Awards
Yea, unfortunately for us Canucks (at least here in the GTA) I haven't seen a single store with the brand-name splenda sweetened diet drinks (Coke, Pepsi)..however the Great Value brand from Walmart has the splenda sweetened diet drinks..

Definately a huge difference in taste (and for me, the elimination of the gassy side effects of aspartame)

Stay Puft

Stay Puft

Avant Research Guru
Awards
  • Established
Interesting study overall, but absolutely no relavence to the vast majority of the bodybuilding community.

The results speak volumes about the ignorance of the N.American public WRT dieting and nutrition.

WhutEvr

Awards
  • Established
Oh yes, that article really proves a lot. :blink:

People are so gullible that they will spout all the urban myths about it.
Hell, there are people out there that say that Splenda is causing them all kinds of health problems.

For every study out there that "proves" it's dangerous to use there's another that says it's not.
I've been using it since it came out, no adverse reactions or effects.

Magickk

Magickk

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
LOLOLOL Did you just say that? Re-read your words. The FDA site. The same FDA that says Vioxx is ok. The same FDA that banned ephedra because in the case of 150 people over 20 years it "might" have contributed to their deaths. Meanwhile Prozac kills hundreds, if not thousands, and is prescribed like candy. The same FDA that seized stevia extract because it was "unsafe" while there have been no studies to show this, while protecting aspartame, noting that many FDA board members were former NutraSweet company officials? The FDA is a corrupt entity, my friend. Trusting what they say as valid is like believing that prohormones are the root of all evil.

Ok, so we can agree that alcohol is bad for you, but not a chemical which is "uniquely unstable in aqueous media"? That claim was from the National Soft Drink Association. You ever wonder why most people don't use aspartame in baked goods or why Spenda became so popular in manufacturing, so fast? It's because it's a more stable molecule, which does not break down at baking temperatures into formaldehyde like aspartame does. Many companies that would not touch aspartame now use Splenda in their products. It could be said that Splenda made possible the low carb and Atkins craze that occurred a few years ago. As for the bag of chips, MSG, saturated fat, trans fat- no wonder the world is getting fatter!
Great post! :thumbsup: I'd rep you if we had rep points :)

Stay Puft

Stay Puft

Avant Research Guru
Awards
  • Established
Yea, unfortunately for us Canucks (at least here in the GTA) I haven't seen a single store with the brand-name splenda sweetened diet drinks (Coke, Pepsi)
****. Amen to that :(.

however the Great Value brand from Walmart has the splenda sweetened diet drinks..

Definately a huge difference in taste (and for me, the elimination of the gassy side effects of aspartame)
No ****? I am going to check that out tonight. If you could rank the following on a scale of 1-10 wrt to taste:

Diet Pepsi
Diet Coke
Walmart Brand Diet Coke
(Other Walmart Brands)

Thanks alot.

Y2Jversion1

Y2Jversion1

Board Supporter
Awards
No ****? I am going to check that out tonight. If you could rank the following on a scale of 1-10 wrt to taste:

Diet Pepsi
Diet Coke
Walmart Brand Diet Coke
(Other Walmart Brands)

Thanks alot.
Diet Pepsi - 2
Diet Coke - 3
Walmart Brand Diet Coke - 1
(Other Walmart Brands)

The ballsmart brand tastes pretty much like regular Coke...

Brooklyn

Awards
"Aspartame makes you fatter"
Sandra Cabot, M.D.
http://aspartame.com/aspartam.htm

ASPARTAME MAKES YOU FATTER!
Position Statement from Sandra Cabot, M.D.,
I have been a medical doctor for 23 years and have clinical and research interests in the liver and metabolism. I have authored several best selling health books including the "Liver Cleansing Diet", "The Body Shaping Diet", "Don't Let Your Hormones Ruin Your Life", "Women's Health",

"Menopause and Natural Hormone Replacement Therapy" and I lecture internationally on these subjects. I have been consulted by thousands of patients with weight problems, hormonal imbalances, fatty liver, sluggish metabolism and chronic ill health. I have been an advocate and practitioner of nutritional methods of healing for 30 years. I regularly appear on national television and broadcast on many radio stations to educate people about the importance of a healthy liver in achieving good health and weight control!

In the interests of public health I am making a position statement concerning the use of the artificial sweetener called aspartame and sold most commonly under the names of NutraSweet and Equal. One must ask, "why do millions of people ingest a toxic chemical like aspartame everyday"? To me it appears ridiculous and I believe that it is because people have been brainwashed into thinking aspartame will keep their weight down and is good for health. It also shows me that we have lost touch with our own natural senses and instincts.

After having been consulted by thousands of overweight people suffering with problems concerning the liver and/or metabolism I can assure you that aspartame will not help you in any way, indeed it will help you to gain unwanted weight. This has been my experience, and there are logical reasons to explain the fattening and bloating effects of aspartame. When you ingest the toxic chemical aspartame it is absorbed from the intestines and passes immediately to the LIVER where it is taken inside the liver via the liver filter. The liver then breaks down or metabolizes aspartame to its toxic components - phenylalanine, aspartic acid and methanol. This process requires a lot of energy from the liver which means there will be less energy remaining in the liver cells. This means the liver cells will have less energy for fat burning and metabolism, which will result in fat storing. Excess fat may build up inside the liver cells causing "fatty liver" and when this starts to occur it is extremely difficult to lose weight. In my vast experience any time that you overload the liver you will increase the tendency to gain weight easily. Aspartame also causes weight gain by other mechanisms ---Causes unstable blood sugar levels, which increases the appetite and causes cravings for sweets/sugar. Thus it is particularly toxic for those with diabetes or epilepsy. Causes fluid retention giving the body a puffy and bloated appearance. This makes people look fatter than they are and increases cellulite.

To discover more about the liver look up my web site - liverdoctor.com, and to learn more about natural sugars that are better for the liver and weight, read my books "The Liver Cleansing Diet" and "Boost Your Energy".

hamper19

hamper19

The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
Awards
  • Established
Like it's not all the booze people add to their diet cokes

:thumbsup:

there's something wrong with that?

Personally I just say stay away from the soda period..I only drink soda (diet)..when mixing with alcohol..lol..which isn't that often anyway. or the occasional can of diet pepsi which i never finish..

water and green tea are my staple drinks..

h19

Ghosting

Aspartame, an artificial sweetener distributed under several trade names (e.g., Nutrasweet or Equal), was approved in 1981 by the FDA after tests showed that it did not cause cancer in laboratory animals. An analysis of then-current NCI statistics showed that the overall incidence of brain and central nervous system cancers began to rise in 1973, 8 years prior to the approval of aspartame. The FDA still considers aspartame safe.

Y2Jversion1

Y2Jversion1

Board Supporter
Awards
THe FDA considering it safe is a joke in itself.

Brooklyn

Awards
Oh no, let's not start that argument again. Even health professionals who don't slag aspartame admit it is unstable, epecially over long periods of time or in heat. What they don't say is what it breaks down into. If you tell the average American that "We have a new sweetener, it is chemically similar to formaldehyde, formic acid, methanol and a cancer-causing agent called DKP... oh and it also may kill brain neurons.." do you think they would buy it?

Last time this was argued (do a board search) I posted tons of research showing that the only studies done on aspartame that claim 100% safety were funded by the NutraSweet company. 92% of independent studies showed at least some problem. The FDA is populated by ex-NutraSweet company execs. The man behind the "un-banning" (yes, it was banned prior to its approval) was none other than mover and shaker Donald Rumsfeld.

There have been more complaints about aspartame than about any other substance in the history of the FDA with no action taken. Meanwhile, ephedra starts threatening the prescription diet industry and *poof* it's gone (against Federal law, according to the recent court decision). When we start taking their word for it is when the supplement industry has lost the battle.

Stay Puft

Stay Puft

Avant Research Guru
Awards
  • Established
"Aspartame makes you fatter"
Sandra Cabot, M.D.
http://aspartame.com/aspartam.htm

After having been consulted by thousands of overweight people suffering with problems concerning the liver and/or metabolism I can assure you that aspartame will not help you in any way, indeed it will help you to gain unwanted weight. This has been my experience, and there are logical reasons to explain the fattening and bloating effects of aspartame. When you ingest the toxic chemical aspartame it is absorbed from the intestines and passes immediately to the LIVER where it is taken inside the liver via the liver filter. The liver then breaks down or metabolizes aspartame to its toxic components - phenylalanine, aspartic acid and methanol. This process requires a lot of energy from the liver which means there will be less energy remaining in the liver cells. This means the liver cells will have less energy for fat burning and metabolism, which will result in fat storing. Excess fat may build up inside the liver cells causing "fatty liver" and when this starts to occur it is extremely difficult to lose weight. In my vast experience any time that you overload the liver you will increase the tendency to gain weight easily. Aspartame also causes weight gain by other mechanisms ---Causes unstable blood sugar levels, which increases the appetite and causes cravings for sweets/sugar. Thus it is particularly toxic for those with diabetes or epilepsy. Causes fluid retention giving the body a puffy and bloated appearance. This makes people look fatter than they are and increases cellulite.[/size][/font]
References? What doses? What types of diets are these individuals following?

Brooklyn if you posted this with the intention of it helping your argument you failed miserably.

Ghosting

I forgot a eye roll in the most important part. I should have included an eye roll smiley at the end of my statement. So people could detect my internet sarcasm. I must have Alzhiemers.

Brooklyn

Awards
References? What doses? What types of diets are these individuals following?

Brooklyn if you posted this with the intention of it helping your argument you failed miserably.
Uhh. I said do a board search. I had an extensive argument about this recently. I included much information and clinical study facts. Everything that was posted that countered my arguments was shown to have been funded by NutraSweet. You may not believe what I say, but I live with a Fibromyalgia sufferer whose quality of life has greatly improved since discontinuing her formerly heavy intake of aspartame-filled soda. We proved numerous times that aspartame caused many of the symptoms that the extensive documentation on the subject claims it does by reintroducing it in a small amount into her diet. The symptoms all started to reoccur. Migraine-like headache which does not respond to NSAIDS/aspirin, numbness on the brain and throughout the body, aggravation of Fibromyalgia pain and its "points", confusion, vision problems, insulin effects, cravings, negative effect on exercise during use. We removed it from her diet and withdrawl headaches as before persisted shortly, then went away. Other symptoms disappeared or became minimal. Over time, her memory, which was horrible long-term, has started to return to her, and she is doing much better than before. Isolated to her? No, because although I did not normally consume diet soda, I did quite often chew aspartame-containing gum such as Orbit by the pack and I'm sure I used some other products which contain it. I always felt more tired when exercising around the time I used it. I had unexplained headaches and often found that I lacked my normal mental clarity. I felt sick more often than usual, and certain pains and soreness in my muscles appeared or increased. I always am one to read ingredients, and I questioned what I was taking in. I finally decided to research a number of ingredients in the typical foods I would buy and learned a lot. Since discontinuing aspartame and MSG from my diet, which was not easy, since they are addictive, those symptoms have gone away and I feel much better overall. Blame it on whatever you like, one fooling himself or placebo effect. I know what I felt and what it was like, and I know that she didn't just make this stuff up. So there's your testimonial to go with the numerous research studies. I do not lie.

Funny Monkey

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I wonder if the part about tricking your body into thinking you are going to get a lot of calories and then it isn't there so you crave high calories and pig out. Well I wonder if that means what is really going on is that artificial sweetner cause an insulin spike just by simple conditioning of the brain to taste and when no real sugar comes into the blood with all that insulin there blood sugar levels fall which make you crave something sugary or starchy. Hmmmmm???

WhutEvr

Awards
  • Established
All the symptoms you are stating are signs of phenylketonuria.
They are not common to the general public.

http://www.aspartame.info/info/faqs.html
Aspartame has been approved by health and regulatory authorities in 100 countries throughout the world. Numerous organisations, including experts of the World Health Organisation and the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organisation, the European Union's Scientific Committee for Food, and the United States Food & Drug Administration have approved the use of aspartame in food and drinks.

http://www.aspartame.info/info/sclibcontents.html
Prior to its approval for use in food and beverage products, aspartame was subjected to one of the most comprehensive testing programs ever undertaken for a food additive. Since 1967, more than 200 scientific studies have been conducted with laboratory animals and a cross-section of men, women and children. Based on these extensive studies, aspartame has been approved by the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Canada's Health Protection Branch (HPB), the World Health Organization (WHO) and the regulatory agencies of more than 100 other nations. In 1986 the GAO specifically reviewed the FDA’s regulatory process in reviewing aspartame.
The Council on Scientific Affairs of the American Medical Association, after reviewing all safety issues, has also confirmed that consuming products sweetened with aspartame is no different than consuming other foods, thus demonstrating that aspartame is not associated with adverse health effects.

Brooklyn

Awards
I'm aware of what phenylketonuria is. However, the fact is that if it was a small number of people with a "digestion problem" aspartame would not have the record for the most FDA complaints in history. AOL posted a message board on the original article yesterday, and let me share with you some of what people have posted:

Author: AliasSparks

Ok, I just moved in with a roomate for the first time in years. I am a professional fashion and swimsuit model and "need" to stay thin. (my opinion, under any sort of natural weight.) Since I was 13, I have been drinking diet soda. It started originally to replace food. These days, I get people who say "why are YOU drinking diet pepsi". I always say I would rather EAT the calories than drink them. They agree, and get off my back. The truth is, I am a diet soda addict. And it is hardly anything to laugh about. I know that over the past ten years of drinking diet soda, I am up to MINIMUM ONE CASE A DAY. I know that, because my NEW ROOMATE, was mortified by how much I drink and started counting. :/

It tends to be a joke with everyone I know, but I have had three New Years rez's to stop. This year it was to drink at least 8 oz. water before I have another soda, hoping that would slow the intake. People say starve me from it for 4 hours, and I would be thee best model for a diet soda commercial. I joke that if cut, my blood would bleed some "caramel #4" but I KNOW AFTER ALL THE JOKES OF HOW I COULD HAVE WORSE VICES, THIS IS STILL REALLY HURTING MY BODY.

Withdrawl symptoms. I have horrible headaches, and nothing seems to satisfy my thirst. I get seriously depressed, to the point that I cannot leave the house, and cry for days. I KNOW THERE ARE OTHERS ADDICTED TO DIET SODA.

I want to FIND OUT WHAT THE COLA COMPANIES HAVE NOT TOLD US. Why do they have a warning for Phenylalanine? As far as I have learned, it is a breakdown amino acid of protien THAT HAS ANTI DEPRESSENT EFFECTS. So what happens if the body gets this in massive amounts, and then it is removed? What is a phenyletonuric? (as the warning on the cans say?)

I have read all the warnings on sites dedicated to ridding our lives of the "poison nutrasweet". I believe a lot of what they have to say about the toxicities it forms as it is converted by the body, and how people become addicted through being allergic to it. WHAT I WANT TO KNOW, IS DID THE SODA COMPANIES KNOW THIS? IS THAT WHY SPLENDA REPLACED MY "LIQUID CRACK" PEPSI ONE? (oh how I mourn the loss of the "real Pepsi One")

I WELCOME ANYONE WHO KNOWS ANYTHING ON THE SUBJECT.

IF YOU FEEL ADDICTED, HAVE YOU TRIED TO STOP?

IF SO, WHAT WITHDRAWL SYMPTOMS HAVE YOU HAD?

HAS IT EVER COME IN LINE OF WORK OR FAMILY. (I almost screwed up a modeling job in Cabo san Lucas because in Mexico they only had Pepsi light...no nutrasweet)

DOES ANYONE KNOW THE HARMFUL SIDE EFFECTS THAT ARE NOT NEUROTIC HEALTH FREAKS THEMSELVES. (I have been an organic vegetarian since the age of 7, ok...you dont need to introduce me to one more extremist)

ANY SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO STOP THE HABIT, WHEN IT IS ALL I DRINK, ALL...ALMOST "MY SIGNATURE" TO PEOPLE, I "ALWAYS HAVE A CAN OF DIET PEPSI IN HAND".

WILL I GET FAT?

HOW MUCH DAMAGE OVER 10 YEARS HAVE I DONE? :(

thanks, if you got this far through my post. I hope to hear back from all of you, please!

Jenny

Author: PENNY6612

never had ANY CNS problems before Aspartame.. the very day I drank my first diet cola with aspartame I began experiencing problems with the nerves in my legs.. this progressed to the point i was having intermittent confusion and anxiety attacks..
After about 6 months of NO aspartame whatsoever.. my symptoms began to improve...

IF someone "slips" me something with this chem in it.. I can tell withen 10 minutes of consuming the product and it takes MONTHS for the resulting nerve problems to subside all over again.

Author: JMissell

Aspartame in all diet drinks can be distressing to many
with colitis, i.b., diverticulitis and much more.

Author: Sparklestar8405

I have been raised up on diet soda coke or pepsi and yes im a addictive to it and i have since i been 14 when i dont drink it i get bad headaches and really tired. I also can tell the differnce when i dont drink diet soda then regular soda i start to gain weight fast duh because regular soda has alot of calories in it and like everyone else in here post that diet soda is there coffee in the morning same here i cant go one day with out drinking diet pepsi or coke im really crabby , have a headache , and i dont feel the same. About what they are saying about diet soda how it does give you headaches and makes you fat well it does give you headaches if you stop drinking it and also it dont help you loose weight its better to drink then drinking regular soda. well im still going to drink diet soda but not as much as i have and hope to start drinking more water and not to have them bad headaches im to young for this good luck who reads this that has the same problem i have.

Author: Suroca

i have been drinking diet sodas for about 1and a half yrs now mostly diet pepsi and i have noticed a severe drop in my energy levels which means that i have less energy to work out thus i gained bout 45 lbs in the last year and a half im stoppin this garbage now

Author: NathanJY

I, along with everyone I know who drinks Diet Coke, am a fiend for the stuff. I crave it like many crave coffee, or cigarettes. I have noticed that Diet Coke drinkers are all very passionate about it so I'm convinced there is something addictive in its recipe.

Not so sure about the claims in this story, though.

Author: BamaKathy

I was very slim through childhood, adolescence and early twenties. I began drinking diet drinks on a job I had in my middle twenties and it's been a 6-10 can a day habit since then. I drink one first thing in the morning and it's pretty much a continuous thing all day. I'm "moderately obese" which means FAT. I cut out the caffeine drinks awhile back, and now I'm giving up these sodas. I think this article is very true. Even when dieting, I never lose much weight. Doctors are baffled. I was on a supervised fast for three months (Optifast) at very low calories and only lost 6 pounds. It could be those diet drinks, because I still had them every day.

This stuff goes on and on. At the very least aspartame is addictive, more so than caffeine, since many people claim that they don't get the same effect from Splenda-sweetened diet soda or regular soda. At the worst, these people are beginning to feel the effects of aspartame syndrome, which has 92 identifiable symptoms.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Yea, unfortunately for us Canucks (at least here in the GTA) I haven't seen a single store with the brand-name splenda sweetened diet drinks (Coke, Pepsi)..however the Great Value brand from Walmart has the splenda sweetened diet drinks..

I didn't know you were CanEHdian too :)

WhutEvr

Awards
  • Established
Anecdotal evidence from an AOL message board. :rofl:
The biggest group of misfits on earth, these people definately lend credibility to your argument.

Let's see, you have AliasSparks who is drinking a case a day. Anyone else see a problem here?
- A case a day of anything (water excluded) will cause problems.

PENNY6612, half-life isn't long enough that it would take 6 months to notice a change. Especially when they claim that the very first day they had it they noticed problems.

Sparklestar8405 sounds more like caffeine withdrawl that anything else.

Suroca - notces lose of engergy, can't work out, gains weight, so they just keep drinking it? Sounds like laziness to me

NathanJY, caffeine is addictive. Quoted from his post "Not so sure about the claims in this story, though."

BamaKathy, 6-10 cans a day. Another heavy drinker with no common sense

I'd says the addition/withdrawal problems seen in these post are more likely caused by caffeine and lack of common sense, not aspartame. Most of these people have the victim mentallity. It's that terrible product that's causing my problems not what I'm doing.

Funny Monkey

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Anecdotal evidence from an AOL message board. :rofl:
The biggest group of misfits on earth, these people definately lend credibility to your argument.

Let's see, you have AliasSparks who is drinking a case a day. Anyone else see a problem here?

PENNY6612, half-life isn't long enough that it would take 6 months to notice a change. Especially when they claim that the very first day they had it they noticed problems.

Sparklestar8405 sounds more like caffeine withdrawl that anything else.

Suroca - notces lose of engergy, can't work out, gains weight, so they just keep drinking it? Sounds like laziness to me

NathanJY, caffeine is addictive. Quoted from his post "Not so sure about the claims in this story, though."

BamaKathy, 6-10 cans a day. Another heavy drinker with no common sense

I'd says the addition/withdrawal problems seen in these post are more likely caused by caffeine and lack of common sense, not aspartame. Most of these people have the victim mentallity. It's that terrible product that's causing my problems not what I'm doing.
Ok I agree with you on this one but in his defense whever I drink or eat anything with aspartame in it. Such as a diet drink or sugar-free jello. I get a horrible head ache I didn't notice this until my diet was clean for several years and then I tried it again.

Also a few years ago I had a good friend who's father was a pilot for American Airlines and they were not allowed to have any aspartame 24 hours prior to flying due to its supposed effect on memory.

Personally I avoid it other than the small amount that is in some whey preotein.

Ghosting

:eek: I didnt read that, but damn.

Brooklyn

Awards
Also a few years ago I had a good friend who's father was a pilot for American Airlines and they were not allowed to have any aspartame 24 hours prior to flying due to its supposed effect on memory.
That's true, because aspartame was shown to be a possible contributor to several plane crashes or near-accidents.

The point being made is that she can't STOP drinking it. Aspartame often causes withdrawl symptoms and cravings. I experienced this personally. It's not caffeine. these people admit that it's not regular soda that they are addicted to. They are able to let go of that, but not the aspartame-sweetened stuff.

muaddib

Awards
I only drink diet soda (though not a lot of it) and I have to disagree with the "aspartame makes me fat" theory. Also, Splenda isn't the greatest sweetner ever made. Theoretically, sucralose can't be metabolized which is what makes the chemical safe AND a zero calorie alternative to aspartame. There have been a number of animal studies demonstrating that up to 15% of sucralose was not execreted, but somehow metabolized by the subjects. Who knows what your sorts of potentially harmful chemicals your body breaks sucralose down into.

Just google splenda and read some of the information out there, its scarier than the aspartame causes Lupus and Parkinsons theory.

WhutEvr

Awards
  • Established
Reasons to only drink regular sodas:

1. The saccharine in Tab causes lab rats to occur in tumors, or something like that.

2. Nutrasweet gives you a punishing headache, either because you're a phenylketonuric, or because just looking at the sentence "phenylketonurics: contains phenylalaline" makes your brain throb like the salivary glands of a rabid mastiff. Who is Pheny Lalalaine? A 1950s TV fitness instructor?

3. Those DEET-sweetened colas do keep the bugs away, but your sweat has an unpleasant chemical tang.

4. Splenda sounds like the name of one of the good witches of Oz -- perhaps the Good Witch of the Upper Northeast. But Splenda is your friend. At least until we find out in 20 years that it causes your flesh to suddenly slough off the bone, in which case there are going to be lawsuits galore. I mean, people want to be thin, but they don't want to be skeletons, the Olsen Twins notwithstanding; those girls appear to be auditioning for new careers as Walgreens' Halloween window decorations.

Malek256

Awards
FYI -- I do NOT have phenylketonuria.

Aspartame leaves me confused -- seriously. Sometimes dizzy, but it literally makes me stupid. I am relatively bright. Sucking back a few diet pops leaves me slow and my math ability turns off. I cannot do simple sums or arithmetic. Memory is impaired, both short and long term.

Before I recognized what triggered this I had also experienced tunnel vision from it. That's some scary stuff.

Takes a few days to clear out, not hours.

I firmly believe that aspartame screws up a lot of people through an unknown mechanism.

Anecdotally the only people in my office who drink diet coke are all fat and getting fatter.

I have none of those sypmtoms with other sweeteners -- I'm not endorsing them but providing data.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Davy25 Nutrition / Health 32
Nutrition / Health 40
brockles Weight Loss 1
Nutrition / Health 28
mister ed Nutrition / Health 43