N.J. bans soda, candy sales during school hours

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.53%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew D
    I was the same way.. or the damn green beans that were cooked within an inch of their lives.. or better yet, green peas in the chilli and having so much grease it would make an oil slick on the top of the chilli..
    Jesus, I remember the chili at my school. And the lomein noodles. Horrible. I think I actually bought lunch three times in my entire time at school. Pretty much packed a sandwich the whole time, or left for lunch and went to the deli. That's when I actually showed up for school of course. Senior year in high school my friends and I were pretty much MIA most of the time.

2. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.85%

I'm in high school and I am all in favor of this law. I think they should replace the candy machines with protein machines. I would love to see BSN machine outside of the gym rather than a hersheys one.
  3. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.98%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

CDB you always have the *hottest* chicks in your avatar...
    •   

4. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.53%

Quote Originally Posted by BigVrunga
    CDB you always have the *hottest* chicks in your avatar...
    I try. This current one has a special place in my crotch. I mean heart.

What a set of wet knockers. Could you imagine this one in a wet t-shirt contest? Or better yet just drunk and ready to go at it?
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80%

this is the stupidest law ive ever heard.... how is it any different then kids not being able to buy cigarettes at a store because they're not mature enough to make proper decisions.. whats next to buy food you have to be 18 years old.
  6. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.86%

I hate Bergen County. That place exemplifies my contempt for New Jersey. Hasbrouck Heights is filled with upper middle class families who think their kids are actually getting a good education lol. Northern Valley kids get to use cell phones in schools? Most NJ schools ban cell phones, but that's an example of rich people getting special treatment that less well-off students don't.

Quote:
    Jan Furman, superintendent of Northern Valley Regional High Schools, said if her district isn't required to follow the new rules, she would get input from her students on whether to observe them.
    I think people might actually be surprised by the feedback they get from these kids. I remember being in school and being pissed off when all they had was tons of greasy, odd tasting mystery foods.
    I hated school lunches too, and especially looking back at the crap they were serving I am glad I skipped lunch on most days. Most kids do not know how to make these decisions for themselves. Their parents don't, so how would they?. If you take the typical teen and say, "Here is some alcohol. It's legal now for you to drink all you want," I can't see the kids exercising self control and not getting intoxicated every day. The same is true of junk food. If you sell kids Doritos and Pepsi for lunch as part of what should be a balanced diet, don't be surprised when you have a bunch of fat, lazy kids with attention problems for a student body.

The role of the public school system is to provide a positive learning environment and protect children from harm. (Does anyone question that?) The foods in question, without a doubt, cause harm. Therefore, it is not excessive intervention to remove said foods from the menu. This is all a matter of perspective and no matter how much we would like to respect freedom of choice, it is the absolute mandate of the school system to protect the student, en loco parentis.
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.26%

i graduated from hasbrouck heights high school, and although i agree there are some problems with our education system, i will say that there are people who care about the kids in that school.

I can not see myself where I am right now without some of the help and guidance I received there.

BSN instead of Hersheys....What If
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.14%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Unfortunately here in CT, our governor recently vetoed a bill banning junk food vending machines in schools. I do not know her specific reasoning why.
  9. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.86%

i graduated from hasbrouck heights high school, and although i agree there are some problems with our education system, i will say that there are people who care about the kids in that school.
    This is getting somewhat off-topic, but having had to deal with the school district and its surrounding school districts, I can say with ease that NJ schools are not up to true standards of education, although still better than many other states. Coming from a NYC public school system gifted program, the Jersey students were 3-4 years behind what we were learning. Even their "gifted" programs.
  10. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.04%

Bottom line it's a step in the right direction. I think health classes need to be a bit more involved and should be required every year of high school. These kids are going to be parents one day and they need to know how things like carbs, protein, and fats work in their bodies. Not only for the sake of their own health but for the sake of future generations. The obesity epidemic is reaching insane proportions and needs to be seriously addressed. I for one do not like being associated with the stigma of living in the "fat people" country.
  11. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.56%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Actually J, I don't know if you could include the health classes every year, I would say that that PE needs to be an every year thing... not just one year like it is now in several states
  12. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.85%

Thumbs down

Jan Furman, superintendent of Northern Valley Regional High Schools, said if her district isn't required to follow the new rules, she would get input from her students on whether to observe them.

That wont work. Maybe back in the day, but not in 2005. Too many kids now a days are too lazy and lack dicipline. My neighbor asked me if I could help her loose weight, but she didnt want to "change her diet much" or exercise a good amount (she isnt overweight, either. That is a nother problem, people see problems that arent even there, but dont want to work to change them, but thats for a different thread). My friend started lifting with me after school, but goes home and eats junk and wonders why he isnt going anywhere.

So if the superintendent lets the students decide, what do you think will happen. Hmm... the machines must be selling a decent ammount to remain in the school, and if students didnt want the food they wouldnt buy them. Obviously, the machines will stay. What is the superintendant thinking.......
  13. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.85%

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew D
    Actually J, I don't know if you could include the health classes every year, I would say that that PE needs to be an every year thing... not just one year like it is now in several states
    At my school, we have health for 2 months of the year every year. What did we learn this year... YOU GUESSED IT...

THE DANGERS OF ANABOLIC STEROIDS

Oh, and about every other class the teacher would bring in breakfast. This usually was donuts, pastries, etc. Yup, junk food in health class

One day I want to create a section of a local news paper/show, I would title it "Crunch these Numbers" Heres the first segment ....

Statistically, Dietary supplements acount for .00001% of all death in america. About 22,000 times more people die of car accidents each year. In this case, shouldnt we discus car safety (something RARLEY, if ever covered) 22 thousand times for every time we talk about steroids? Not logical you say? Lets take smoking. 71,000 times the people die from smoking than from steroids. I havent covered smoking in school since I think 6th grade, but they say that covers it. People dont start to smoke untill high school mostly, why not cover it then? And then a WHOPPING 470,000 people die from cardio vascular disease each year for every one death from the juice. People wind up with heart problems from bad eating habbits and lack of exercise. Where do these bad eating habbits start? They start by eating junk from candy machines in school. I think my health teacher has other things to worry about than trying to prevent something that causes .00001 percent of death.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 05-09-2011, 09:53 AM
  2. For Sale: Old school ALRI (Amino Acids)
    By GQNemesis in forum Supplement Auction
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-08-2011, 11:28 AM
  3. Item Availability during sale?
    By Misnerwest in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-31-2009, 12:11 PM
  4. Arizona Bans Junk Food Sales in schools
    By buffb2 in forum Politics
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 06-30-2005, 01:47 AM