Dave Chapelle in S. African Mental Hospital?

Mach .78

Mach .78

Awards
  • Established
I was driving back from driving my Wife to work when the radio DJ started talking about how Comedy Central Bigwigs are try to find Dave Chapelle because know one knows where he is. They say that they have put the season on hold for now. What's up with all this? I wouldn't go crazy if somebody paid me 50 million bucks. He went on to say that rumors are that Dave has checked into a S. African Mental Hospital. Is Wayne Brady gonna have to go down there and choke a bitch? Where ya at Tron? This is not a very good day for comedy....... Sigh.

*UPDATE*

Chappelle Checks Into Mental Health Clinic
Thursday, May 12, 2005

NEW YORK — Comedy Central star Dave Chappelle (search) has checked himself into a mental health facility in South Africa, the magazine Entertainment Weekly reported on Wednesday.

The comedian's whereabouts and condition have been unknown since Comedy Central (search) abruptly announced last week that the planned May 31 launch of the third season of "Chappelle's Show" had been postponed and production halted.

Chappelle flew from Newark, N.J., to South Africa (search) on April 28 for treatment, said the magazine, quoting a source close to the show it would not identify. Entertainment Weekly said it had corroborating sources for its story.

"We don't know where he is," Comedy Central spokesman Tony Fox said. "We've heard about South Africa. We don't know. We haven't talked to Dave."

Chappelle's spokesman, Matt Labov, would not comment on the magazine's story.

"It seems like the issues he's contending with are really quite serious," said Dade Hayes, a senior editor at Entertainment Weekly. "It isn't a case of him spending a weekend someplace recuperating from exhaustion."

The magazine's sources say Chappelle is still in the facility, which was not named, Hayes said. Chappelle's representatives have denied that the comedian was abusing drugs.

Chappelle reportedly signed a $50 million deal with Comedy Central for two more seasons of his show, a payday made possible because of the explosive sales of the show's first season DVD.

The magazine said Chappelle had shot four to five episodes' worth of sketches for the new season, but none of its onstage introductions.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
damn, hope everything turns out ok for him. i haven't a clue what the stress is like of having to make deadlines to a multi-billion dollar network.

hamper19

hamper19

The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
Awards
  • Established
you think that is true, or just something funny he is doing? I mean the dude was pretty famous already, and its not like he has paparazzi following him around like Paris Hilton.

Personally, I don't think just having a lot of money would make me crazy. Now constant media coverage, maybe but for him that wasnt how it seemed.

BigP0ppa3

Awards
  • Established
you think that is true, or just something funny he is doing? I mean the dude was pretty famous already, and its not like he has paparazzi following him around like Paris Hilton.

Personally, I don't think just having a lot of money would make me crazy. Now constant media coverage, maybe but for him that wasnt how it seemed.
I met him in a bar in NYC the night season 2 of his show premiered - at that time I think maybe myself and a handful of other people in the place even knew who he was. I'm sure that since then however, he hasn't had much privacy at all with how popular he's become.

Damn, I just hope this doesnt mess up his career though - I think he's one of the best guys out there right now, next to Chris Rock.

BP

intv

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
****, hopefully this is a hoax or a joke. If not, I hope he's ok. He's one funny dude.
"I smell your lightsaber!" LOL

hamper19

hamper19

Awards
  • Established
I mean i agree he has gotten a lot more famous, but its not like u see him on tv or anything like the rest of corny hollywood.

I just don't want to see "E true Hollywood story- Dave Chappell"

I thought he was great in half baked. dudes funny!

asap nutrition

Awards
  • Established
I was driving back from driving my Wife to work when the radio DJ started talking about how Comedy Central Bigwigs are try to find Dave Chapelle because know one knows where he is. They say that they have put the season on hold for now. What's up with all this? I wouldn't go crazy if somebody paid me 50 million bucks. He went on to say that rumors are that Dave has checked into a S. African Mental Hospital. Is Wayne Brady gonna have to go down there and choke a bitch? Where ya at Tron? This is not a very good day for comedy....... Sigh.

*UPDATE*

Chappelle Checks Into Mental Health Clinic
Thursday, May 12, 2005

NEW YORK — Comedy Central star Dave Chappelle (search) has checked himself into a mental health facility in South Africa, the magazine Entertainment Weekly reported on Wednesday.

The comedian's whereabouts and condition have been unknown since Comedy Central (search) abruptly announced last week that the planned May 31 launch of the third season of "Chappelle's Show" had been postponed and production halted.

Chappelle flew from Newark, N.J., to South Africa (search) on April 28 for treatment, said the magazine, quoting a source close to the show it would not identify. Entertainment Weekly said it had corroborating sources for its story.

"We don't know where he is," Comedy Central spokesman Tony Fox said. "We've heard about South Africa. We don't know. We haven't talked to Dave."

Chappelle's spokesman, Matt Labov, would not comment on the magazine's story.

"It seems like the issues he's contending with are really quite serious," said Dade Hayes, a senior editor at Entertainment Weekly. "It isn't a case of him spending a weekend someplace recuperating from exhaustion."

The magazine's sources say Chappelle is still in the facility, which was not named, Hayes said. Chappelle's representatives have denied that the comedian was abusing drugs.

Chappelle reportedly signed a $50 million deal with Comedy Central for two more seasons of his show, a payday made possible because of the explosive sales of the show's first season DVD.

The magazine said Chappelle had shot four to five episodes' worth of sketches for the new season, but none of its onstage introductions.
Could be just a good publicity stunt as well. Who knows with brilliant actors and comedians now adays. Sometimes I think celerbities and their publicist come up with wild and crazy stunts because it is so hard to capture the American publics attention.

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
Why the hell would you go to a South African Mental Hospital? Ok I see the Mental Hospital part..but South Africa???? Weird. Anywhay I hope he gets better home town boy and all.

hamper19

hamper19

Awards
  • Established
Why the hell would you go to a South African Mental Hospital? Ok I see the Mental Hospital part..but South Africa???? Weird. Anywhay I hope he gets better home town boy and all.
well i do remember one episode he played nelson mandella, smoked weed, and started single "aweema whop awheem a whop"....soo who knows, maybe he is getting material or something...

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
I heard that he didn't really want a largely successful show. He was made the offer and figured that he'd do a couple shows to have fun with some of his ideas and then go back to stand-up. But then it took off like wild fire and he couldn't deal with all of the pressure and publicity. Who knows what happened.

What I do know is what the hand said to the face......SLAP!!

Mach .78

Mach .78

Awards
  • Established
Could be just a good publicity stunt as well. Who knows with brilliant actors and comedians now adays. Sometimes I think celerbities and their publicist come up with wild and crazy stunts because it is so hard to capture the American publics attention.
Andy Koffman was pretty damn convincing back in the day.

D_town

D_town

Awards
  • Established
I heard he was stessed out because he didn't think he could keep up to the expectations of being as funny as his first two seasons. I hope it's a farse or that he gets well soon.

The Experiment

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
There have been a lot of stories about his excessive partying so this is probably real. Imagine getting paid $50 million. This isn't like the first two seasons where if you fucked up, there was a lot less to lose. Season 3 was the first real big season for him. Season 2 was amazing and it would be very tough to top it. I know I probably couldn't deal with the tough pressure. Anyway, I wish him a good recovery. Maybe he should wait a year or two before starting up a new season.

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
i dont mean to be a dick but why does dave just call the waaaaaaaambulance. He is making 50mil. He needs to quit crying about the pressure and get over himself. I am sick of hearing about these over-indulgent celebs going to rehab. Tons or money and a hot wife, why doesnt he just throw me a boo fucken hooo party. I thought he was better then that, the fact that he is in rehab before his career even started off makes him worse

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I agree with you, but honestly, none of us know what its like to be in that position. It might be a lot rougher than it seems to be. Plenty of celebs end up destroying their lives, repeated trips to rehab, etc. Im sure most of them started out as hardworking, level headed people that just wanted to make their dreams come true. And when they did, and the money and fame came pouring in...how do you know how to handle it? Even the most grounded person might flip out with that kind of fame, money, and power happens so fast...

BV

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
It smells like a comedy stunt. I hope it is, Dave has a hell of a lot of potential left.

hamper19

hamper19

Awards
  • Established
he just needs to visit Mr. Nice Guy

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
Big bump:

I certainly hope it's a stunt. If not, I might need a support group. Some people get his stuff and some don't. I ask all posters to please be kind with their words, I wouldn't speak of any of your relatives dead or living with unkind words. And trust me, you may see a 50 mil payday, but you sure as hell don't understand the pricetag. I had more success in the entertainment biz at 21 than I would have ever dreamed. A payday no where nearly as bright as his, and every demon I ever wanted I owned- or was owned by. I've made it to 26, I am praying for 30, and who knows... I may even make it to 40. Undetaker, I am sorry you've never been an addict. I wouldn't wish it apon anyone. He has a character "Tyrone." He's a crackhead, no doubt this comes from Dave somewhere. If I was laying in a hospitol bed somewhere I'd want encouragement, not haters.

Like I said I hope it's a stunt. But if you can't be anabolic/constructive with your words; please be quiet until the situation resolves itself!

LuckyBoy

Awards
  • Established
Chappelle says he's "Not Crazy"
from aolnews

NEW YORK (May 15) - Comedian Dave Chappelle wants to set things straight: "I'm not crazy, I'm not smoking crack," he tells Time magazine in an interview after his hit Comedy Central show was suspended and the rumors started to fly.
"I'm definitely stressed out," said Chappelle, who took off last month to South Africa for a "spiritual retreat," leaving his fans - and even his agent and publicist - wondering where he went.

"You hear so many voices jockeying for position in your mind that you want to make sure that you hear your own voice," he said. "So I figured, let me just cut myself off from everybody, take a minute and pull a Flintstone - stop a speeding car by using my bare feet as the brakes."

After Comedy Central announced that the planned May 31 debut of the third season of "Chappelle's Show" had been postponed, the magazine Entertainment Weekly reported that Chappelle had checked himself into a mental health facility in South Africa.

"I'm not in a mental facility," said Chappelle, who also said he did not have a drug problem but had consulted a psychiatrist for one 40-minute visit.

The 31-year-old comedian said he fled to stay with friends in Durban because he was not happy with the direction of the show, which is behind only "South Park" as Comedy Central's most-watched program.

"There's a lot of resistance to my opinions, so I decided, 'Let me remove myself from this situation,"' Chappelle said.

Comedy Central president Doug Herzog told Time that the star has "complete creative freedom." He has told staff he believes there will not be a "Chappelle's Show" in 2005, but leaves the option open for the comedian's return.

Chappelle, whose wife and two children live in Ohio, said he hopes to start up the show again, but did not indicate when he would return.

Comedy Central had inked a reported $50 million deal to keep "Chappelle's Show" for two more seasons, and the comedian hinted to Time about struggles associated with the power and fame that come with that kind of success.

"If you don't have the right people around you, and you're moving at a million miles an hour, you can lose yourself," he said. "Everyone around me says, 'You're a genius, you're great, that's your voice,' but I'm not sure that they're right."

Mach .78

Mach .78

Awards
  • Established
A little time off and some Samual Jackson Ale and he'll be straight.

cable626

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
the "fame and fortune"
who doesn't know chapelle!?!?!?

it's already a little late for him to try to not be famous.

these actors/actresses/singers who make a huge amount of money think they're lives are so crazy and stressful need to get a life. they think they have all these issues, when there are people that go to sleep hungry in the ever-so-powerful US.
some people need to wake up and just be real.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
what's stressful to some isn't to others. don't be so quick to judge another man's life.

AlexParty

Yari Ka Daw!
Awards
  • Established
Hope the guy's ok. Although I personally did not find his show that funny. I got a great sence of humour but his humour is "boring". I think Martin Lawrence, Sienfeld, and Conan O'Brien have great sence of humour. They can take a serious situation, make a joke out of it and pretty much play the joke in your head as if your actually watching it. If you don't know what I mean watch Martin Lawrences "Runtelldat" video.

chasec

Pityin' fools since '81
Awards
  • Established
the "fame and fortune"
who doesn't know chapelle!?!?!?

it's already a little late for him to try to not be famous.

these actors/actresses/singers who make a huge amount of money think they're lives are so crazy and stressful need to get a life. they think they have all these issues, when there are people that go to sleep hungry in the ever-so-powerful US.
some people need to wake up and just be real.
stress has a way of making itself relevant to your lifestyle. sure, it might be a different kind of stress to wonder where your next meal is coming from than to worry whether or not your 50mil. deal is going to work out. however, both are extremely stressful situations that can tear a person apart. stress is highly underestimated i think. it has profound psychological and psychosomatic effects on a person

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
My man is cool he's good to go. Dave will be back just give him some time. Stress gets us just remember what Biggie said "Mo money Mo problems"

hamper19

hamper19

Awards
  • Established
martin lawrence is annoying

BigP0ppa3

Awards
  • Established
martin lawrence is annoying
I think Martin is hysterical but I found RunTelDat BORING as hell.

I really hope Dave is gonna be back soon and wrap up season 3 of his show - I'm going nuts here waiting for Season 2 to come out on DVD.

BITCH, I LIVE IN A FUCKING TRASH CAN!!!!!

BP

AlexParty

Yari Ka Daw!
Awards
  • Established
Martin Lawrences Runtelldat was funny for the first 20 minutes, then after that it got boring so your right. But he beats Dave any day.

hamper19

hamper19

Awards
  • Established
They should just play reruns of Richard Pryor