Milk thistle is over-rated

200wannabe

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Milk thistle is over-rated

United Press International

Tuesday, May 3, 2005

COPENHAGEN, Denmark, May 03, 2005 (United Press International via COMTEX) -- Danish scientists say milk thistle, an alternative medicine, was not shown to extend the lives of people with alcoholism, hepatitis or similar problems.

A team from Copenhagen University Hospital, in a paper in the latest issue of the Cochrane Library, reviewed 13 randomized clinical trials involving 915 patients who were treated with milk thistle or its extracts.

Participants had acute or chronic alcoholic liver cirrhosis, liver fibrosis, hepatitis or steatosis and viral-induced liver disease, either hepatitis B or hepatitis C or both.

All the trials compared the efficacy of milk thistle or any milk thistle constituent to a placebo or no intervention at all.

"There is no evidence supporting or refuting milk thistle for alcoholic and/or hepatitis B or C virus liver diseases," the authors found.

U

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
well maybe when your that far gone, milk thistle isnt enough. This in no way means that milk thistle is ineffective for mild or moderate damage

200wannabe

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
well maybe when your that far gone, milk thistle isnt enough. This in no way means that milk thistle is ineffective for mild or moderate damage
No i agree, but food for thought none the less.

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sad to say, but most herbal remedies are not effective after a condition has arised. The same can be said about RYR,niacin, polic. with studies to show this. That does not mean they are ineffective at keeping these levels from getting out of control, or helping one keep them balanced.

E

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
Sad to say, but most herbal remedies are not effective after a condition has arised. The same can be said about RYR,niacin, polic. with studies to show this. That does not mean they are ineffective at keeping these levels from getting out of control, or helping one keep them balanced.
Most remedies regardless of being herbal will not ameloriate any conditions. For lack of better terms they won't undue damage already done but will aid in the prevention of such damage leading to ailment or disease. Policosanol and RYR will reduce high cholesterol levels but not any of the associated cardiovascular damage, though those are more associated with crp, LPa, Fibrinogen and Homocysteine to name a few.

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
True, but they are not as effective at that, than at keeping levels normal.

E

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
I've seen studies where Poli is just effective if not moreso than statins at reducing high LDL levels while increasing HDL levels. I believe a lot of people use these products to bring levels back to a normal range. Of course these products don't undue the damage that may be caused by elevated levels. Too many people will use these products during PCT to bring levels back to normal instead of maintaining normal levels throughout. Running these products pre post and during cycles will prevent levels from getting out of hand in the first place but few people probably take advantage of this.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Agreed. It's good to keep these things in perspective. The positive studies on NAC/MT were done on people during a toxic exposure and not years after when the damage had accumulated.

I cringe when I see people take high doses of methyls or even stack methyls and go on believing NAC or some other product will save them from all harm. It may help but we can only guess at the dosages and timing of doasages required to keep M1T related effects at bay. There is far more that we do NOT know in this regard.

J

juggernaut333

Awards
  • Established
Very nice to see intelligent minds responding in this way.Good post first of all,definately good to question things,and keep new information flowing.I agree that milk thistle is more of a preventative,and to keep your liver healthy.I highly recomend coupling that with rala and nac.
Other than the M.T. I would like to touch upon the policosinol mentioned.I have spoken with numerous ppl that have used a mere 10 or 20mg of this to greatly lower there cholesterol,so I think there is more of a punch to that than most ppl think.I currently have JUST started my father on ten mg of it to help him with his chol. levels.And personally,as of now,the red yeast rice,I am seeing information that is keeping me from advising my father to use this in conjunction,perhaps as effective as statin drugs,but may also have the negative sides of them as well.Until I get definative answers,its a no go.I would advise anyone using/or considering using this supplement to check into this.Some good info on this on Animals board.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I agree on RRY and other statins. I'm going the polico/fish oil route instead. If that doesn' work BAC has a new product called Sytrinol that sounds interesting.

J

juggernaut333

Awards
  • Established
Good to point out the omega's as they are essential,im a bit ashamed I didnt mention that myself!Bioman Im wondering where you came across info concerning the ryr/statin/negative effects???

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
It's just info I've gleaned from threads here on AM, discussions Dr D has had, as well as recommendations of Dr's Weil and Mercola.

As far as I've been able to discern RRY is exactly the same as prescription statins..both deplete coQ10, both can have make muscles accumulate near toxic levels of niacin in people who are prone. They are great at lowering lipid levels but if something else can do it with no potential sides I'm going for that option...plus polico is waaaay cheaper to run long term and it has some beta-sitosterols as well.