Rick Collins speaks to US Sentencing Commission

lozgod

lozgod

Awards
  • Established
I cant read it for some reason. Maybe my adobe is messing up.

ShadowJack

Board Supporter
Awards
Strat, thanks for the link.

Very well written statement by Rick Collins. And extremely well said.

lozgod

lozgod

Awards
  • Established
ok, I d'loaded Adobe Reader 7. Great read for sure. I am curious to what the other side has to say.

lozgod

lozgod

Awards
  • Established
You dont mind if I pass this along to the other boards do you?

Strateg0s

Awards
  • Established
Heh. No, it's not mine anyways. This is good info, spread it around. Too bad it will probably amount to nothing. McCAMPBELL's side will no doubt win the day, and steroid penalties will be increased, and measured by the half mL and single pills.

lozgod

lozgod

Awards
  • Established
Too bad it will probably amount to nothing. McCAMPBELL's side will no doubt win the day, and steroid penalties will be increased, and measured by the half mL and single pills.
I was thinking the same thing. Collins was on the money though.

Strateg0s

Awards
  • Established
He only has mountains of evidence and infallible logic on his side. He won't get far.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, reason went out the window quite a while ago. It totally makes sense that people should be put in prison with murderers and rapists for owning a vial of human hormones.

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Much respect to Collins. The information he is presenting may seem trite and banal to us, but to normal layfolk which includes his audience of lawmakers its all new and surprising.

A small extract of his speech which will offend many users:
"..... A number of them use steroids in willful and unethical violation of the rules of fair play and may even deserve our scorn...."

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
Much respect to Collins. The information he is presenting may seem trite and banal to us, but to normal layfolk which includes his audience of lawmakers its all new and surprising.

A small extract of his speech which will offend many users:
"..... A number of them use steroids in willful and unethical violation of the rules of fair play and may even deserve our scorn...."
I don't see how thats offensive. He's talking about professional and olympic athletes who knowingly cheat the rules of their sport by using. Ricks is more concerned about protecting the common, responsible gym rat, who use the steroids for acstetic reasons.

Y2Jversion1

Y2Jversion1

Board Supporter
Awards
Way to go Rick, n thanks for posting Strat!

I printed it off and read it on the train on the way home from work..at the end of every paragraph I felt like sayin "yea!" out loud :thumbsup:

Only if they printed this in all the newspapers for the everyday ignoramuses who think users are evil incarnates.

As for the 'offensive' part, like Rob said - that statement was in regards to professional athletes, not gymrats like us..

Put a smile on my face today.

not_big_enuf

not_big_enuf

Awards
  • Established
I wanted to stand up and cheer after I read that.

My only problem was that in comparing breast implants to steroids... breast implants don't quite have the possible negative effect that steroids do. So when I use that analogy and somebody says, "yeah but, a break implant will give you back problems and steroids will....."

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
I wanted to stand up and cheer after I read that.

My only problem was that in comparing breast implants to steroids... breast implants don't quite have the possible negative effect that steroids do. So when I use that analogy and somebody says, "yeah but, a break implant will give you back problems and steroids will....."
I personally loved that statement. The motives for using roids and getting implants are the same for the average user. Breast augmentation is a major surgery. Far more people have had serious complications from breast implants than roid usage. For the most part, most side effects from roids are temporary and/or reversible. That is not the case with many of the complications that can result from having implants.

Even done right, a boob job can lead to major problems down the road, not to mention they are only expected to last 5-10 years before they have to be redone.. On the other hand SMART roid usage has little to no side effects. If you screw yourself up with roids, 9 times out of ten you were'nt being safe(bloodwork, reasonable dosages, pct, etc.)

not_big_enuf

not_big_enuf

Awards
  • Established
well thanks jarhead... i'll use those remarks when i defend steroid usage and use that analogy (as I know I will).

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I think it is a decent analogy actually. Women put themselves under the knife leaving them selves open to staph infections and other complications even though they are medically supervised.

God forbid if one of those silicon implants leaks. Woman's lives have been ruined by a host of autoimmune problems from leaky implants and reactions to the plastics.

May not be a perfect 1:1 analogy but it is applicable.

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I don't see how thats offensive. He's talking about professional and olympic athletes who knowingly cheat the rules of their sport by using. Ricks is more concerned about protecting the common, responsible gym rat, who use the steroids for acstetic reasons.
Just olympic athletes? What about the highschool/NCAA/club charters and regulations?

And Rick Collin is correct that steroids for the majority of gym goers use steroids for cosmetic effects and its use can never be justified under medical reasons.

prolangtum

prolangtum

Awards
  • Established
If these guidelines are increased to 1/2 ml, etc, I would be in jail right now. I was charged with 278 units. I would have definitely been in Zone B with new guidelines.

Gary46080

Awards
It would take a lot more than just one person to actually get anything done.. It might have been better had he brought this up before the actual ban..

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
Steroid users can experience heart disease, liver disease, and stroke.
So can any other human :think:

PHP:
Denise Garibaldi testified that her son, Ron, committed suicide due to depression resulting from steroid use. In that same hearing Donald M. Hooton testified about his son, Taylor, also committed suicide as a result of steroid use.
I'm thinking that there were other issues here.

The Centers for Disease Control has reported that steroid use by high school students more than doubled from 1991 to 2003. In 1991, 2.7% of high school students reported use of steroids at least once in their lifetime, and by 2003 it was up to 6.1%. The National Institute of Drug Abuse, through its Monitoring the Future Survey, also reports that steroid use has more than doubled. Surveys of twelfth grade students showed that those reporting use of steroids in the past 30 days increased from 0.6% in 1992 to 1.6% in 2004.
There is also increased use of alcohol, marijuana, ecstasy, cocaine and crack. Laws do not suppress usage by teens IMO.

The rebuttal from McCambell is pretty weak. I would think that someone like Collins would eat him alive in a debate. I hope that more talk like this hits the senate floor :cheers:

The Experiment

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
It'll pass. As long as people think that steroids are synthesized from pure evil, things won't change. The media won't change because they would rather report a negative story than a fair and balanced story.

Rick Collins

Awards
Thanks for all the kind words, friends, and for all those who've spread the word about Legal Muscle. By the way, the new steroid sentencing guidelines have NOT yet passed. I have been asked to return to Washington later this month for further debate on the topic before the Commission, and will keep you posted afterward through www.steroidlaw.com. Meanwhile, anyone suitable for the anonymous online AAS survey should take it now (you can access it through steroidlaw.com or the link in a different thread on this site) and be 100% truthful. Nearly 1,800 respondents thus far -- quite probably the largest sampling of steroid usage ever surveyed! Results are months away from publication, but are sure to be eye-opening.

Best regards,
Rick Collins
www.rickcollinsonline.com

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Welcome, RC! Glad to have you here!

Anyway, I know our AM member did their part in filling out that survey. We've also helped spread the word!

I hope this survey really does some good, and thank you very much for being there for us!

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Good to see you Rick, yours truly is going to law school with dreams of being Rick Collins one day.

thanks for stopping by sir

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
Someone post the link because I am having a massive brain fart and I can't find it

Rick Glad to see you on the board..

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
We had a pretty good chat room going while Rick was posting his response. Was hoping he would find his way in there, but no such luck.

Anyways...great to see you posting here Rick.