Green Tea is found to lower IGF-1 binding

1. Doctor Science
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.88%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Green Tea is found to lower IGF-1 binding

Green Tea Polyphenols Thwart Prostate Cancer Development At Multiple Levels

PHILADELPHIA – The polyphenols present in green tea help prevent the spread of prostate cancer by targeting molecular pathways that shut down the proliferation and spread of tumor cells, as well as inhibiting the growth of tumor nurturing blood vessels, according to research published in the December 1 issue of Cancer Research.

A team of researchers from the University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wis., and Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, documented the role of green tea polyphenols (GTP) in modulating the insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1)-driven molecular pathway in prostate tumor cells in a mouse model for human prostate cancer.

"Consumption of GTP led to reduced levels of IGF-1," said Hasan Mukhtar, Ph.D., Department of Dermatology at the University of Wisconsin, the senior author of the paper.

"GTP also led to increased levels of one of the binding proteins for IGF-1, the insulin growth factor binding protein-3. These observations bear significance in light of studies that indicate increased levels of IGF-1 are associated with increased risk of several cancers, such as prostate, breast, lung and colon."

GTP modulation of cell growth via the IGF-1 axis coincides with limited production or phosphorylation of key cell survival proteins, including PI3K, Akt and Erk1/2, the research indicated. The PI3K molecular pathway in cells, which includes Akt and Erk1/2, works to promote cell survival, rather than programmed cell death, also known as apoptosis.

GTP also caused reduced expression of proteins known to be associated with the metastatic spread of cancer cells. GTP inhibited the levels of urokinase plasminogen activator as well as matrix metalloproteinases 2 and 9, cellular molecules linked to the metastasis.

The green tea polyphenols contributed to minimizing tumor development by governing the amount of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) in the serum of the prostate cancer mouse model. The reduction of VEGF may result from GTP-induced suppression of IGF-1 levels. VEGF functions to recruit and develop new blood vessels that carry nutrients to developing tumors. By reducing the amount of VEGF, GTP works to minimize nutrients flowing to and supporting tumor growth.

Mukhtar's colleagues contributing to the study included Vaqar Mustafa Adhami, Imtiaz Ahmad Siddiqui, and Nihal Ahmad from the University of Wisconsin; and Sanjay Gupta from Case Western Reserve University.

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.04%

Quote Originally Posted by LakeMountD
    Green Tea Polyphenols Thwart Prostate Cancer Development At Multiple Levels

PHILADELPHIA – The polyphenols present in green tea help prevent the spread of prostate cancer by targeting molecular pathways that shut down the proliferation and spread of tumor cells, as well as inhibiting the growth of tumor nurturing blood vessels, according to research published in the December 1 issue of Cancer Research.

A team of researchers from the University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wis., and Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, documented the role of green tea polyphenols (GTP) in modulating the insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1)-driven molecular pathway in prostate tumor cells in a mouse model for human prostate cancer.

"Consumption of GTP led to reduced levels of IGF-1," said Hasan Mukhtar, Ph.D., Department of Dermatology at the University of Wisconsin, the senior author of the paper.

"GTP also led to increased levels of one of the binding proteins for IGF-1, the insulin growth factor binding protein-3. These observations bear significance in light of studies that indicate increased levels of IGF-1 are associated with increased risk of several cancers, such as prostate, breast, lung and colon."

GTP modulation of cell growth via the IGF-1 axis coincides with limited production or phosphorylation of key cell survival proteins, including PI3K, Akt and Erk1/2, the research indicated. The PI3K molecular pathway in cells, which includes Akt and Erk1/2, works to promote cell survival, rather than programmed cell death, also known as apoptosis.

GTP also caused reduced expression of proteins known to be associated with the metastatic spread of cancer cells. GTP inhibited the levels of urokinase plasminogen activator as well as matrix metalloproteinases 2 and 9, cellular molecules linked to the metastasis.

The green tea polyphenols contributed to minimizing tumor development by governing the amount of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) in the serum of the prostate cancer mouse model. The reduction of VEGF may result from GTP-induced suppression of IGF-1 levels. VEGF functions to recruit and develop new blood vessels that carry nutrients to developing tumors. By reducing the amount of VEGF, GTP works to minimize nutrients flowing to and supporting tumor growth.

Mukhtar's colleagues contributing to the study included Vaqar Mustafa Adhami, Imtiaz Ahmad Siddiqui, and Nihal Ahmad from the University of Wisconsin; and Sanjay Gupta from Case Western Reserve University.
    So are we supposed to drop the green tea extract or drop the long r3??
  3. The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
    Stats
    5'7"  191 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.92%

is that saying green tea reduces IGF-1 levels period, or that it only reduces the amount that gets to the prostate tumor cells???
    •   

4. Doctor Science
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.88%

Quote Originally Posted by hamper19
    is that saying green tea reduces IGF-1 levels period, or that it only reduces the amount that gets to the prostate tumor cells???
    I'm not positive about this but I believe what it is saying is that IGF-1 causes tumor cells to grow out of control and that green tea inhibits more of the igf-1 therefore reducing the risk of the cancer going crazy.

What I am concerned with is how much it actually inhibits the igf-1 and whether it is pertinent to BB. However it seems that it wouldnt be a good idea to be taking very large doses of green tea (in the form of extract which equals MANY cups per day) while using IGF-1.
  5. The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
    Stats
    5'7"  191 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.92%

I'm thinking i might lower my green tea extract intake. I usually take a good 1/4 tsp before meals of powder.
  6. Doctor Science
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.88%

Yeah this is an interesting find. I am definitely interested to see what some other people say about it though. Preferably Dr. D and Bobo.
  7. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.

Its stating that it just inhibits the growth of cancerous tumors (which IGF can increase by increasing VEGF). This has nothing to do with MGF production or muscle growth.
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.
  8. Board Supporter
    Stats
    6'2"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.78%

Bobo saves the day again

I think I'm going to add an order of green tea extract to one of my next orders, this stuff is sounding better all the time.
  9. Doctor Science
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.88%

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo
    Its stating that it just inhibits the growth of cancerous tumors (which IGF can increase by increasing VEGF). This has nothing to do with MGF production or muscle growth.
    good stuff.. i was hoping that was the case... the main point of posting the article at first was the cancer than i saw the igf thing!
  10. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.85%

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo
    These 2 statements from the article don't specify that this is only taking place in the prostate, or in the tumour. I would need more information but right now Green Tea is a gray area supplement for me potentially producing counterproductive benefits for a serious weight training athlete.

Consumption of GTP led to reduced levels of IGF-1," said Hasan Mukhtar, Ph.D., Department of Dermatology at the University of Wisconsin, the senior author of the paper.

"GTP also led to increased levels of one of the binding proteins for IGF-1, the insulin growth factor binding protein-3

Similar Forum Threads

1. Green Tea Powder - can it be mixed to drink?
    By Highlanda01602 in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-25-2008, 11:30 AM
  2. Folic Acid Supplements Found to Lower Stroke Risk
    By yeahright in forum Supplements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-04-2007, 12:09 AM
  3. Green tea lowers risk of cognitive impairment.
    By yeahright in forum News and Articles
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-18-2006, 12:08 AM
  4. Green tea reduces IGF-1, increases IGF-1-BP3..
    By LakeMountD in forum Supplements
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-08-2006, 05:18 PM
  5. is there a way to increase igf levels naturally?
    By John Smeton in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-11-2004, 08:44 PM