Steroid Sting Snares Bodybuilder

1. Board Supporter
    Answers

Steroid Sting Snares Bodybuilder

http://www.bergenrecord.com/page.php...N3ZxZWVFRXl5Mg==

I go to the same gym and live in the same town as this guy.

By CAROLYN SALAZAR
    STAFF WRITER

PARAMUS - A professional bodybuilder who competes in national events stole a doctor's pad, wrote his own prescriptions and then stashed thousands of dollars' worth of stolen steroids in his Emerson home, authorities said Monday.

Undercover detectives posing as pharmacists arrested Robert "Bobby" Waananen, 28, on Saturday after he walked into a drugstore to pick up a prescription for Xanax that he apparently had written for himself using a bogus doctor's name, Police Chief Fred Corrubia said.

Waananen had picked up steroids at the pharmacy several times before, Corrubia said.

"We think he was getting the steroids for himself," Corrubia said Monday. "But he could have been selling some of it."

The arrest comes amid steroid scandals that have rocked baseball, tarnishing the reputations of superstars Barry Bonds, Mark McGwire and Jose Canseco, among others. One of the world's best-known bodybuilders, California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, once a user himself, has called on the sport of bodybuilding to crack down on steroid use.

Waananen has ranked in the Top 5 three times, and once in the Top 10, in the National Physique Committee's Junior National Championship. At 5-foot-8 and about 195 pounds, he competed in the light-heavyweight division.

Corrubia said police were tipped off by pharmacists who grew suspicious about a prescription submitted by Waananen. The pharmacists tried to contact the doctors listed on the form, only to discover that they didn't exist, Corrubia said.

Lt. Kevin Smith and Patrolman Dean Avagnano, wearing white lab coats, set up the undercover operation at Paramus Pharmacy on East Ridgewood Avenue after Waananen ordered a prescription there, Corrubia said. The prescriptions were written on a pad reported stolen last month from the office of an Englewood orthopedic surgeon.

Smith said Waananen had access to the pads because he had worked at another doctor's office in Englewood.

Police think he ordered and picked up phony prescriptions at about 10 pharmacies.

Following Waananen's arrest, police found valium, steroids and hypodermic needles at his home, Corrubia said.

Waananen was charged with possession of steroids, possession of stolen property and prescription fraud. He was taken to Bergen County Jail, where he posted $10,000 bail.

"This is one competition where he is the loser," Corrubia said.

Steroid use reportedly has been rampant in bodybuilding competitions, during which the athletes generally are not tested. The recent steroid scandals have prompted federal officials and well-known athletes to put more pressure on national organizations to tighten the rules.

A woman at the National Physique Committee's office in Pennsylvania said the committee's president, Jim Manion, was out of town and could not be reached for comment.

NPC's New Jersey district chairman, John Kemper, said the organization is "obviously against steroid use" and is considering reinstituting a random steroid testing program to ensure that its athletes are not juicing up for national competitions.

"We will probably discuss that at our annual meeting," Kemper said.

Waananen has an unlisted phone number and could not be reached for comment on Monday.

Further charges could follow if Waananen went to other pharmacies to fill out phony prescriptions, Corrubia said.

2. ItriedtoripoffBobosonowIamgonehaveaniceday
    ItriedtoripoffBobosonowIamgonehaveaniceday's Avatar

Damn! They really are cracking down on guys quick! I live in Jersey City and there isn't a hint of a national level bodybuilder in my area...I also love how the news says PROfessional bodybuilder when the guy competes as an amateur in the NPC!
  3. Gold Member
    Answers

Forging prescriptions to get steroids, then going in himself to collect.

What an imbecile. What a dolt.

In other news, a man who at the Brooklyn Zoo leapt into the cage and 'slipped the Liberace' to a male lion was mauled to death.

This guy deserves no pity. I mean, it is unfortunate when people get busted for steroid use, but this guy couldn't have asked for it more if he went into a police station with a big red Santa Claus bag full of steroids which he dumped on the floor before declaring "Merry Christmas to All!"
    Last edited by Strateg0s; 03-30-2005 at 12:43 AM.
    •   

4. Board Supporter
    Answers

This wasn't much of an elaborate "sting"....

I agree with Strategos, this goes under the Darwin Awards category

G

Quote Originally Posted by Strateg0s
    Forging prescriptions to get steroids, then going in himself to collect.

What an imbecile. What a dolt.

In other news, a man who at the Brooklyn Zoo leapt into the cage and 'slipped the Liberace' to a male lion was mauled to death.

This guy deserves no pity. I mean, it is unfortunate when people get busted for steroid use, but this guy couldn't have asked for it more if he went into a police station with a big red Santa Claus bag full of steroids which he dumped on the floor before declaring "Merry Christmas to All!"
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Answers

Holy cow!
    That's insane. He not only did it once. He did it multiple times!
    Int'l would have even ben safer.
  6. Gate Keeper
    Answers

Thats sad and further enforces the myth that bodybuilders are mindless animals. I mean come on, stealing a doc's pad and writing his own scripts. What a ****ing moron. Lock him up.
  7. Have you seen my stapler???
    Answers

How brazen can you get? He must have been using the stuff that makes your balls bigger.

Damn, your own scripts...that's pound-me-in-the-ass prision.
  8. Registered User
    Answers

I couldn't care less about that dumass. What bothers me most about the report is the talk about what the Oak said at the Arnold and how all this **** will affect real pro level bodybuilding. Not to mention baseball and such. If they actually crack down hard on drugs in these sports it's gonna ruin it for everybody.Who the hell wants to watch a clean athlete or a "natural" BBer?

Sucks...
  9. Gold Member
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ChemicalD
    How brazen can you get? He must have been using the stuff that makes your balls bigger.

Damn, your own scripts...that's pound-me-in-the-ass prision.
    Yep, I go to this same gym - whatup Serge.

I'm pretty sure this guy will be charged with federal crimes cause he stole the blank script pad.

That means not only do they pound you in the ass, they put sand in the vaseline!
    Last edited by BigP0ppa3; 03-30-2005 at 02:04 PM.
  10. Registered User
    Answers

Ha! And I was just about ready to go with a gunpoint "roid heist" at that same pharmacy over in Paramus!
    Somebody musta removed the feeding tube to that guy's brain.

Ah but remember the days when only bb's knew or cared about gear, back before the media and congress got all over it.
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.
    Answers

What a retard, he should be locked up for being that stupid.
    Answers

This guy went to my gym/totally separate incident

Got really good info on training and nutrition from this guy. Met him 5 days before this happened, still using his workout.

Manager arrested after customer data swiped
    The worker at Wellington's Designer Gallery furniture store confesses, officials say.

By Rochelle Brenner

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Friday, March 25, 2005

WELLINGTON — A manager of a Wellington furniture store swiped credit card numbers from at least 19 customers and charged them for his own home's furnishing, according to the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office.

The theft was so well-executed that several victims didn't notice the charges, and store officials said they were blindsided by the arrest.

Tyrone Cherry was arrested Thursday, accused of using stolen credit card numbers to furnish his own home.

The sheriff's office SWAT team surrounded workout buff Tyrone Cherry, 37, when he walked out of his house at PGA National in Palm Beach Gardens Thursday morning and arrested him on charges of criminal use of personal identification, fraudulent use of a credit card and grand theft. His wife also was handcuffed and questioned, but not arrested.

Investigators spent the rest of the day collecting a paper trail of photocopied IDs, searching storage units for methamphetamine paraphernalia and confiscating pieces of his home furnishings, such as custom blinds, faucets, coffee makers and cabinet knobs, Detective Tom Gendreau said.

"He confessed to it all," Gendreau said. "He wanted a nice house. He's got one. He furnished his house with these people's stolen identification and credit cards."

Cherry allegedly used the stolen credit card numbers to order more than $17,000 worth of home accessories, luxury upgrades to his Mini Cooper cars, a juicer, large boxes of egg whites and more. He then had the items shipped to his home or a warehouse leased by Designer Gallery, the contemporary furniture store next to Pier 1 Imports on the outskirts of the Mall at Wellington Green, Gendreau said.

A 70-year-old woman tipped off deputies to an unauthorized purchase. She had spent $434 on a rug but also was charged $2,006 for weave blinds from Georgia, officials said.

A public-relations firm in New York hired by Designer Gallery issued this statement: "We were shocked to learn of these allegations. We are cooperating fully with the police and other local authorities. This is an isolated incident and we are taking it extremely seriously as we are victims ourselves."

Detectives found furniture allegedly stolen from the company in storage.

Cherry was already on federal probation in a 1997 case in which he was caught with methamphetamine and trying to smuggle steroids out of Amsterdam, sheriff's officials said.

Palm Beach County Fire-Rescue hazardous material workers found the makings of a methamphetamine lab in storage units Cherry rented under a false name at Central Self Storage on Westroads Drive in Riviera Beach, sheriff's spokesman Paul Miller said.

The U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration was called to the scene, and the U.S. Secret Service assisted in the case.

Staff researchers Krista Pegnetter and Angelica Cortez contributed to this story.
  13. Registered User
    Answers

What a dumb ass.
    Answers

I didn't mean to jack this thread. I just had to post. This guy is 85% raw and shredded. He was very interesting to talk to on the subjects of Nutrition and Lifting. I won't leave my gym bag out of my sight from now on. I got freaked when a trainer told me what went down. I think I was the last person to talk to him before he went home and got stung. Man you just don't know, do you? DEA probably nicknamed me little guy or something. Go into The Palm Beach Post Archives and see his pic.
  15. Board Supporter
    Answers

What a dumb ass.
    Agree.
  16. Registered User
    Answers

For one stealing the pad was stupid to begin with, The only thing I can say for this guy is he is gonna have plenty of time to lift where he is going.
    Answers

Yea and their protein sources are limited to tired old beef that McDonalds rejects.
  18. Board Supporter
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Lean One
    I couldn't care less about that dumass. What bothers me most about the report is the talk about what the Oak said at the Arnold and how all this **** will affect real pro level bodybuilding. Not to mention baseball and such. If they actually crack down hard on drugs in these sports it's gonna ruin it for everybody.Who the hell wants to watch a clean athlete or a "natural" BBer?

Sucks...
    LOL, I just saw a stand-up comedian last week who said and I quote from memory here:

Ban Steroids in pro sports? **** that! I say make them manditory. When I pay 100 bucks to see a football game, I want to see the biggest, fastest, strongest atheletes that science can produce!
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-07-2009, 07:41 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-22-2006, 06:55 AM
  3. Steroid Using Bodybuilders Are 'Bigorexic'
    By yeahright in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-16-2006, 02:05 PM
  4. Bodybuilder steroid misuse alarm
    By yeahright in forum News and Articles
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-10-2006, 06:58 AM
  5. Where to get ebooks on steroids/bodybuilding?
    By rford78 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-17-2006, 05:29 AM