McGwire Refuses to Say if He Took Steroids

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
he was crying too, this has become such a joke - ultimately we pay for this as John McCain and Hillary Clinton restrict our freedoms to protect us

handzilla

Awards
  • Established
If only he had just said he was on gear instead of lying and saying it was andro, we'd probably still be able to buy PHs.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
If only he had just said he was on gear instead of lying and saying it was andro, we'd probably still be able to buy PHs.
He didn't even admit to that. He went on about how that was the past and blah blah blah. He said the same couple of comments over and over. If I lost respect for anyone it was him. Damn liar.

ivydude

Board Supporter
Awards
I respect Giambi much more than McGwire. It only makes him look that much dumber. Same for Bond's and his "wilfull ignorance."

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
If I was standing in front of congress and they asked me if I did steroids I would answer with a big fat, HELL NO!

Why would you lose respect for a man who just wants to be left alone? he's retired and he was never a show boat and always made baseball look good. I could care less if he did it or not but in his same situation I would of answered the same.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
i have to agree with JayHawkk

btw, how did that bloodwork go? has that lipid profile returned to normal - if you don't mind me asking?

R-Mac

R-Mac

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I respect Giambi much more than McGwire. It only makes him look that much dumber. Same for Bond's and his "wilfull ignorance."
Giambi had immunity, now lets not forget that..

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Blood work(other than liver values) went back to near normal levels after about 2 months but i'm due to go back in next month. The high liver values still are high but not 10x the amount high. <---Was due to be not being cautious and taking m1t seriously. Just saying that considering the thread we're in :p

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
If McGwire was innocent, which he probably wasn't, he could have been a little more convincing. He was so intent on calling Canseco a liar yet he doesn't state his case to prove otherwise. If you have nothing to hide why plead the fifth. Doesn't make sense to me. What I mean is, if the only evidence you have against you is Canseco's book which many are skeptical of then why not just say no, I never did them. Obviously he has a gulity concience.

Funny Monkey

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
to his defense he did also say that if someone says no they didnt take them they simply wouldnt be believed and if they say yes they did their reputation would be shot forever

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
What the **** was he going to say?

Admit all and risk POTENTIAL prosecution?

Riiight. Like you would have done any differently. Big talk in the Internet. Put your ass in the chair and lets see how you do!

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Think of it this way. Mcguire would of probably done the same without any steroid help. Baseball is a skilled sport. You have to have the ability. No amount of drugs will change that. He says yes and he's open to lawsuits and possible titles being stripped from him etc. I'm sure he saw plenty of aas use and wants to stay as far away from having to implicate anyone else. He's okay in my book. It's conseco that deserves an ass beating. His book caused this and then he turns his story around completely.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Think of it this way. Mcguire would of probably done the same without any steroid help. Baseball is a skilled sport. You have to have the ability. No amount of drugs will change that.
I'VE SAID THIS ALL ALONG!!! Steroids can only do so much, but if you don't have the talent then it doesn't fucking matter how much you use. He could have just said NO I didn't do them. I believe Palmero was lying too, but at least he put the idea in your mind that maybe he didn't. Now I'm absolutely convinced Big Mac used steroids. Stupid move by McGwire.

What the **** was he going to say?

Admit all and risk POTENTIAL prosecution?

Riiight. Like you would have done any differently. Big talk in the Internet. Put your ass in the chair and lets see how you do!
HE COULD HAVE DENIED, DENIED, DENIED!

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Denied what? He didn't admit ot OR deny anything.

I would have done the say. Admit to or say nothing. Let people believe what THEY want. *I* dont answer personal questions with a positive of a negative. I simply do not answer. I let people believe what they want because I don't give a **** what others believe about me.

I understand what you're saying but he owes no one any answers in my opinion. He was great for baseball in a time that it was needed the most. He was belting homers out of the park let right and center when he was a skinny 30lbs lighter. He ownes answers to no one.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Denied what? He didn't admit ot OR deny anything.

I would have done the say. Admit to or say nothing. Let people believe what THEY want. *I* dont answer personal questions with a positive of a negative. I simply do not answer. I let people believe what they want because I don't give a **** what others believe about me.

I understand what you're saying but he owes no one any answers in my opinion. He was great for baseball in a time that it was needed the most. He was belting homers out of the park let right and center when he was a skinny 30lbs lighter. He ownes answers to no one.
And that's his right. But now he wants to be an anti-steroid advocate or whatever. That's laughable. Overall I don't think he handled himself very well during any of the questioning. His testimony was somewhat moving, but was overshadowed by the fact that he pretty much revused to answer any of the questions directed towards him. He stuttered and sounded shaky in his replies. I think it was due to the guilt he felt.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
That's him though. Look when the Cards signed him to a contract extention (or rather gave him a contract after being traded?). He was sobbing like a baby.

I just think that's him and his personality. Others are more hardcore and outspoken. He seems to tbe the quiet type that doesn't seem 100% comfortable in the limelight. That's the impression I get.

Just my take on it though :)

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Overall, I could really care less about any of this. This issue could have been aleviated If baseball (Bud Selig) would have done something years and years ago. He knew there was a problem since the early nineties, but it seemed that fixing the problem wasn't on his to do list. It took the Balco Scandel and Canseco's book for him to do anything and still, the punishment for getting caught is a joke.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Agreed. I think the policies are highly laxed.

I have zero problem with performance enhacing but if you truly want to take a stance and say that drugs in sport are bad... then you have a ZERO tolerance policy: Cought once and you're gone for life and testing WILL now include blood testing as well.

It's all a joke.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
I liked how congress suggested a "blanket" testing policy for ALL professional sports. This means there would be universal testing procedures for all sports whether it be HS, College, Minor Leagues, Professional, etc. The downside is that it would be costly, but if they want the problem solved then it has to be this way. Punishments should be very harsh as well.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
If I was standing in front of congress and they asked me if I did steroids I would answer with a big fat, HELL NO!

Why would you lose respect for a man who just wants to be left alone? he's retired and he was never a show boat and always made baseball look good. I could care less if he did it or not but in his same situation I would of answered the same.
Because he had an opportunity to maybe make a difference in a positive way, and he passed it up with a No Comment. Instead of using the opportunity to inject some sanity into the debate he sat on the sidelines. I understand the desire to be left alone, but he's in the spotlite whether he likes it or not. I have no problem judging him for what he does while there.

I'll never deny drug abuse can cause problems, but prohibition isn't the answer, and how much longer is it going to go on, in part fueled by people like McGuire won't simply tell the truth for whatever reason? How many more people are going to rot in prison, get forced into therapy or get saddled with criminal records for the rest of their lives because they were using a substance congress didn't like, even though they were causing no harm to anyone else or even much harm to themselves, if any? All this while the two most recent presidents were most probably one time druggies. How many more freedoms do we need to give up to every politician who's concerned about "the Children"? So concerned he'll throw them or their parents in jail for things that most people don't even consider a crime, all while their children and themselves avoid such punishment for the same 'offenses' of course.

**** McGuire. He can afford to buy his way out of a prison sentence. Clinton can claim he didn't inhale and that's the end of it. Bush can say he simply won't talk about his past, and that's the end of it. Not many people are that lucky, and they don't belong in prison anymore than those guys do. And while those three live their nice posh lives their policies on drugs are ripping people's lives apart for no good fucking reason. **** McGure and each one of those pricks who didn't have the balls to get up in front of congress and admit they used, and then as politely as possible told congress to stay the **** out of their life and everyone else's life. In part it's because of nutless fucks like them that this **** keeps going on.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Because he had an opportunity to maybe make a difference in a positive way, and he passed it up with a No Comment. Instead of using the opportunity to inject some sanity into the debate he sat on the sidelines. I understand the desire to be left alone, but he's in the spotlite whether he likes it or not. I have no problem judging him for what he does while there.

I'll never deny drug abuse can cause problems, but prohibition isn't the answer, and how much longer is it going to go on, in part fueled by people like McGuire won't simply tell the truth for whatever reason? How many more people are going to rot in prison, get forced into therapy or get saddled with criminal records for the rest of their lives because they were using a substance congress didn't like, even though they were causing no harm to anyone else or even much harm to themselves, if any? All this while the two most recent presidents were most probably one time druggies. How many more freedoms do we need to give up to every politician who's concerned about "the Children"? So concerned he'll throw them or their parents in jail for things that most people don't even consider a crime, all while their children and themselves avoid such punishment for the same 'offenses' of course.

**** McGuire. He can afford to buy his way out of a prison sentence. Clinton can claim he didn't inhale and that's the end of it. Bush can say he simply won't talk about his past, and that's the end of it. Not many people are that lucky, and they don't belong in prison anymore than those guys do. And while those three live their nice posh lives their policies on drugs are ripping people's lives apart for no good fucking reason. **** McGure and each one of those pricks who didn't have the balls to get up in front of congress and admit they used, and then as politely as possible told congress to stay the **** out of their life and everyone else's life. In part it's because of nutless fucks like them that this **** keeps going on.
Lets put you centre stage and see what you do and say.

And don't say you'd have no problem saying what you think. Otherwise, walk into a police station and say "I use steroids and there's nothing you can do about it so stay out of my life".

I've come to learn people talk big but when push comes to shove... they pussy out. Those talking smack here right now I doubt are the exception to the rule.

LuckyBoy

Awards
  • Established
Like was said earlier I don't think roids had much to do with Big Mac's success. I mean didnt he have like 47 hr his rookie year which is still a record? And according to Canseco's book that was before he introduced him to the needle. He later added that Mark had the most efficeint swing that he'd ever seen, or something like that. I wouldn't admit to anything either. Nothing good can come out of him opening his mouth.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
McGwire looked like a fool plain and simple. I think many people's opinions changed on how they look at McGwire as a person. His image was hurt the most yesterday.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
What he said didn't bother me. How he acted didn't bother me.

But then again, I don't hold an elitist view of athletes and put them on pedestals and think they are holier than thou.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Like I said it changed how people look at him as a PERSON. I could care less about his major league career. All he did was hit homeruns. Definately a one dimensional player who will only be remembered for hitting homeruns and now this. His image IS important especially if he wants to be an advocate for not using steroids and be a role model to the younger kids.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Too bad he's not black. He could have pulled the race card on Congress.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Speaking of which I thought it was funny how Sammy Sosa seemed like he didn't understand any of the questioning. Like he couldn't understand english or something. He pretty much repeated what the others had said.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Too bad he's not black. He could have pulled the race card on Congress.
Barry Bonds as a player I love, as a person...I'm not too sure. He makes it hard for you to like him sometimes.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Barry Bonds as a player I love, as a person...I'm not too sure. He makes it hard for you to like him sometimes.
HE is no different than big Mac. Can't hold Bonds in one light and then talk smack about McGwire.

Difference here is Mac admitted to nothing while Bonds admitted to being ignorant which if you beleive that... I got some land you might be interested in ;)

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
I'm not defending Bonds as a person. I will defend him as a player though. I still believe he is one of if not the greatest player of all time. If I have to I'll post his career stats once again. McGwire wasn't half the player Bonds is.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
We're not talking about McGwire as a player. We're talking about him as a person based on your previous comments.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
We're not talking about McGwire as a player. We're talking about him as a person based on your previous comments.
Ok, well did I ever defend Bonds as a person? Negative. And I won't. The guy comes off as a jerk to me sometimes. And now McGwire just ruined his image with his comments or should I say lack of comments yesterday. Don't get me wrong. McGwire was fun to watch back in 98 when he broke the record, but as a person...

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
as a person...I'm not too sure. He makes it hard for you to like him sometimes.
You didn't defend him but you certainly aren't bashing him the way you are McGwire.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
You didn't defend him but you certainly aren't bashing him the way you are McGwire.
Listen, honestly I wouldn't be bashing the guy if he didn't come off as a complete idiot about the whole thing. He handled himself all wrong. I liked the way Rafeal Palmero went on the offensive and said "NO, I never used steroids" as he pointed towards the congressional panel. He showed some balls up there and I have respect for that. He convinced me that it was possible that maybe he didn't use. McGwire on the other hand did not. I think most of those who listened to the testimony would have to agree.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Listen, honestly I wouldn't be bashing the guy if he didn't come off as a complete idiot about the whole thing. He handled himself all wrong. I liked the way Rafeal Palmero went on the offensive and said "NO, I never used steroids" as he pointed towards the congressional panel. He showed some balls up there and I have respect for that. He convinced me that it was possible that maybe he didn't use. McGwire on the other hand did not. I think most of those who listened to the testimony would have to agree.
Dude, that's fine. I got no problem with that but lets hear you say Bonds is a gutless pig.

He hasn't owned up to anything either. How is he any different than McGwire?

Personally, I don'y give two shits about either. What I care about is hypocrisy.

Bonds is a big time gutless pig and swine. Not only has be claimed to be "ignorant" and unknowing about his past indiscretions but also tried to play the blame game by pulling out the race card to avoid the issue altogether.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Dude, that's fine. I got no problem with that but lets hear you say Bonds is a gutless pig.

He hasn't owned up to anything either. How is he any different than McGwire?

Personally, I don'y give two shits about either. What I care about is hypocrisy.

Bonds is a big time gutless pig and swine. Not only has be claimed to be "ignorant" and unknowing about his past indiscretions but also tried to play the blame game by pulling out the race card to avoid the issue altogether.
Maybe he is. But I'm going to stick with him as a player. Regardless of all this I'm still going to say that he is one of the top 5 greatest players of all time. And he's definately the biggest factor in getting the Giants back to the world series.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
LOL. Dude, just admit it. Say it. Say he's scum as a person. Say he's trash and a douchebag.

Why won't you SAY it? THIS is the hypocrisy I speak about.

Ah well.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
At first I thought of the same thing but no one saying anything that day was going to shed any positive light on AAS. they had a guy there who believes that steroids killed his son by causing him to hang himself. Their minds are/were made up so the best bet was to deny it all because anything they said there will be brought back up in court...and they will probably be back in court.

I also have a problem with them using the excuse they are role models. If you look up to someone because they are good in a sport and believe that because they are good at a sport then everything they do is okay then that is when the parents need to step in and teach their children the difference between an athlete, movie star, music star etc and someone that has morals and values because the two aren't always in the same package. Parents TEACH your kids!

Okay, i'm done ranting :)

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
The funny thing is; is that so many people are quick to yell "roid usage! he's a druggie! kill all his stats! put stars next to his name in the record books!!!" etc...

yet in the year of 1998 when baseball "got back" they CANNOT deny that they didnt have a good time to... damn guys... you remember that year? that was fucking awesome! I'm a Cubs fan... been one since I was a little kid and saw Andre Dawson win the NL MVP....
but 1998 was THE YEAR... I got to see the big homerun by Big Mac that broke the record; it was at Wrigley Field and the game stopped for like 15 minutes... every news station in the US was broadcasting it... and when Sammy hit his 62nd... you remember that one too? I'll never EVER forget those days... and I'll tell my kids about them one day :cheers:
What about the homerun contests in the Allstar game those few years? incredible...

my point in this? people can't deny this was one of the most awesome times for baseball... i remember seeing it and feeling like a child again.... seeing my heroes do superhuman things... i didnt give a **** if they were juicing... sure it gives you the strength to hit those homeruns and turn singles into doubles, etc...
but it doesnt make you a better ballplayer in the real sense... but no one will realize this since the American public bows down to what the media says as the preached word....... and may the heretics BURN and be put before congress...

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Who's read Jose's book?
I have it is almost funny (true or false) how many times he attacks Giambi and McGwire (they are/were best friends after all).

An entire chapter is devoted to Giambi "Jason Giambi the most obvious juicer in the game".

The chapter is how Giambi has health problems due to his ABUSE (not use) of steroids. He calls Giambi the ultimate 'party animal' and detail how JG would down a 12pack, snort some coke, maybe even hit some acid, shoot his Deca, and hit the clubs in Los Angeles.

Giambi - What a fucking joke - if that true.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Who's read Jose's book?
I have it is almost funny (true or false) how many times he attacks Giambi and McGwire (they are/were best friends after all).

An entire chapter is devoted to Giambi "Jason Giambi the most obvious juicer in the game".

The chapter is how Giambi has health problems due to his ABUSE (not use) of steroids. He calls Giambi the ultimate 'party animal' and detail how JG would down a 12pack, snort some coke, maybe even hit some acid, shoot his Deca, and hit the clubs in Los Angeles.

Damn, that's awesome. I might have to check that book out afterall.

Grassroots082

Grassroots082

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Who's read Jose's book?

I would imagine that some of that is straight up heresy. I would take anything Canseco says or publishes with a grain of salt. I wouldn't be suprised at all to see some lawsuits for defamation of character brought against him. I don't think his whole book is garbage, but some of it may be a little exaggerated? It is pretty interesting from what I have read (only 3 chapters), gotta get by that Barnes and Nobles sometimes and read it.

UnicronSpawn

UnicronSpawn

Awards
  • Established
I have to agree that some of the most exiting times in baseball involved players on AAS. I just wish most people werent so brainwashed when it comes to their view of AAS. Their argument for banning it in sports is that it gives a few players an unfair advantage. But if they were all allowed to then it would be a more level playing field then if they were all drug free. The peoples rebuttle to this idea is the issue of health detriment to players and up and coming prospects. I wonder how many of theese people have ever searched the objective research, on intelligently concocted AAS use. They just assume that any usage is as unhealth as the most unbridled abuse, like it was common knowledge "everybody knows steroids are terrible for you" Never once questioning the accuracy of such statements. People have been fed half-baked information and erroneous speculative impications about steroid use for years. Have any of you guys read the first chapter of Rick Collins book "Legal Muscle"? It was appalling to learn the legislative process involved in their criminalization, and the multi generational propaganda techiniques used in their defamation.
I cant say I could brave it out in front of congress and state my opinion under that kind of pressure, (esspecially with a guy who thought his son killed himself because of steroids) but if the country were a little better informed on "proper" steroid use......then baseball and all sports could spend that piss test money on blood work to make sure their players health was not in jeopardy while juicing. By feeding people the message that steroids are bad for you no matter what, the uninformed people that will use it anyway proceed with very little knowledge of how to maximize results whilst minimizing health detriments. Because the user believes that by choosing the AAS root devastating health problems are inevitable, thus the user does not try to learn which steroids do what and in what doses, or what the point of diminishing returns is in a particular scenario.
Furthermore if they were decriminalized, baseball and other sports could implement protocols, or even customize the cycles based on the individuals various test results. Oh and did I mention, this would severly reduce the need for unreliable black market transactions, and make it easier to get teenagers to wait until their 21 to use. But like alcohol teens could still get a hold of it, but if we told them the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, instead of selective info, 1) theyd trust more 2) theyd understand why steroids unlike alcohol, really are much worse for teens then they are for adults. Honestly is anyone here ready to go back to the days when hitting 25-30 HRs a season was a big deal? And when the biggest bodybuilders were 6ft 200lbs? (or whatever) I know this its wishful thinking on my part, but just because "the man" has the power doesnt make "him" right. As for that guys son allegedly killing himself because of steroids, who know what the real truth is? Who knows what else was going on in his life that may have contributed. My guess is that most horror stories about steroids were not to to their use but their abuse.
Sorry to rant so much guys, oh well, once gene doping becomes big, theese knuckle heads (in congress) will forget all about steroids LOL!