Study finds AAS use causes long-term agression

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Steroid Use Causes Long-term Agression, Northeastern University Report Indicates

BOSTON, Mass. (11-20-03) -– With the recent revelations about steroid use in Major League Baseball and the bust last week of several Oakland Raiders players for drug abuse, Northeastern University psychology professor Richard Melloni, who studies the link between steroid use and aggression, has recently found evidence that use of anabolic steroids may have long-term effects on behavior and aggression levels well after they stop abusing these performance enhancing drugs.

With funding from the NIH (recently extended through 2008), Melloni and doctoral student Jill Grimes have been studying how steroids used during adolescence may permanently alter the brain's ability to produce serotonin. In their experiments, adolescent Syrian hamsters - given their similar brain circuitry to human adolescents – were administered doses of anabolic steroids and then measured for aggressiveness over certain periods of time.

The researchers initially hypothesized that steroid use during adolescence might permanently alter the brain's chemistry and a person's tendency toward aggression long after use has stopped. Their most recent findings, published this week in Hormones and Behavior, enabled them to confirm this hypothesis and conclude that there is indeed a lengthy price – namely long-term aggression – to pay for drug abuse even after the ingestion of steroids ceases.

"We know testosterone or steroids affect the development of serotonin nerve cells, which, in turn, decreases serotonin availability in the brain," Melloni says. "The serotonin neural system is still developing during adolescence and the use of anabolic steroids during this critical period appears to have immediate and longer-term neural and behavioral consequences. What we know at this point is that aggressiveness doesn't simply cease after the ingestion of steroids does."

Based on this research, Melloni also believes that athletes who abuse steroids may also be inclined toward aggressive behavior long after their drug abuse – and musculature – have waned.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2003/11/031121070805.htm

Skye

Skye

Awards
  • Established
Lets see, first hampsters to humens, then from adolescence (gee, kids shouldn't take steroids) to adults. nope, there not jumping to conclusions

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
And there is no such thing as use, just abuse.

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
CDB why do you even post on threads like this? Just wondering because you seem to be all up in the once legal gear like M1T

and like Skye said, seem a big particular leap to me.. sounds like someone is rushing to get results in so they can ride the wave to make sure it gets published

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
CDB why do you even post on threads like this? Just wondering because you seem to be all up in the once legal gear like M1T.....
I believe he was being sarcastic ;)

CDB, don't forget your smileys, damnit! Hehehe.

It definately was a big leap.

And, if anything, I believe agression is more a result of size. Seriously, I don't know anybody who got considerably bigger who was not more "confident". Not a dick or anything like that, just more agressive and confident in themselves. (Yes, you can do that and still be just a nice a guy as you ever were ;))

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Yeah I wasn't posting this to 'prove' anything just mainly to show you how retarded some of these people are. They post these things just to say they published a study almost even though they ASSume half the **** they find.

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
I have seen this in a ton of research biologist and medical speciality people are just as bad as the rest of the scientific community. .the main thing is bias, when you do research, you sometime get so fixed on what you think the answer is, that you skew the results or just on a conclusion that the research does not really prove, or in this case make an extraplusion that is not really warranted..

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
I have seen this in a ton of research biologist and medical speciality people are just as bad as the rest of the scientific community. .the main thing is bias, when you do research, you sometime get so fixed on what you think the answer is, that you skew the results or just on a conclusion that the research does not really prove, or in this case make an extraplusion that is not really warranted..
Yeah, it seems like after the introduction science courses everyone forgets the "the scientific method" really is...it seems that their goal is not to determine the real facts and get valid results, but often to match up their basic assumptions with their results. :rolleyes: *sigh*

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
CDB why do you even post on threads like this? Just wondering because you seem to be all up in the once legal gear like M1T
I was being sarcastic as Kwyck said. It's a particular idiocy of the prohibitionist crowd that pisses me off, the idea that there is no use of illegal drugs, just abuse. Usually when they make this point it's the illegality of the drug that's their major point too, as if all of a sudden alcohol were illegal again it would be rational to call all people who drank any amount of it abusers. they draw no distinction between safe responsible use and abuse.

Funny Monkey

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Yeah I wasn't posting this to 'prove' anything just mainly to show you how retarded some of these people are.
That reminds me I was watching CSI the other night and this guy was dead because someone mixed somehting in his protein bar that caused an electrolyte imbalance by mixing with his creatine. They showed a shot of his medical record and underneath drugs it had a steroid section and creatine was listed under steroids. Just more retarded propaganda

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
When I was taking M1T and had my blood work done. My elevated blood/liver values were caused by creatine and protein use, according to my doctor. When I went back she asked if I was still on 'that creatine' :)

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
When I was taking M1T and had my blood work done. My elevated blood/liver values were caused by creatine and protein use, according to my doctor. When I went back she asked if I was still on 'that creatine' :)
Hahahahahah. That's some funny ****!

It's depressing though...I still can't believe that MEDICAL DOCTORS are so out of touch with nutritional supplements....*sigh*

cable626

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
yea a wrestling coach at my school told the wrestlers to stop taking creatine because they were gonna start testing for it!

I just LOVE how people talk about things they have no idea about! :frustrate

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
yea a wrestling coach at my school told the wrestlers to stop taking creatine because they were gonna start testing for it!

I just LOVE how people talk about things they have no idea about! :frustrate
LOL. You've got to be kidding? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL....

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
okay CDB, sorry about that...
No need to be. The written word doesn't always come across as the writer intends to all people. Especially with me. Maybe I should start using more smileys.

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
Main reason I use the damn things.. I have made more than my share of people mad with a quip that was meant as a jest..

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
hell, it can be an uphill battle trying to communicate under the *best* circumstances - it's amazing we succeed as well as we do.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Main reason I use the damn things.. I have made more than my share of people mad with a quip that was meant as a jest..
Same here...I abuse the LOL's and :D's for a reason....

size

Awards
  • Established
when you do research, you sometime get so fixed on what you think the answer is, that you skew the results or just on a conclusion that the research does not really prove, or in this case make an extraplusion that is not really warranted..
100% correct. If one approaches "research" with a predetermined answer then one simply needs to skew data to fit. Include the outliers, drop variables that did not function as expected, etc

Fpot66

Awards
My question is...what exactly does an aggressive Syrian Hamster look like? Does it go around sh**ing on the other hamsters while they sleep? Drop kick the other guys when he wants a drink of water from the bottle?

FPot66

Funny Monkey

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
My question is...what exactly does an aggressive Syrian Hamster look like? Does it go around sh**ing on the other hamsters while they sleep? Drop kick the other guys when he wants a drink of water from the bottle?

FPot66
lmfao

insectgod

How may I help you today?
Awards
The basic premise is flawed anyway. Why, oh, why, is aggression such a bad thing that needs to be minimized or removed from society? I've found it to be a useful tool for getting things done, and a little increased intensity seems beneficial to me. I see nothing at all attractive about a society of flat-lined zombies on ritalin and anti-depressents.

Of course, I am not trying to control everyone, either...:think: