Finger length 'key to aggression'

size

Awards
  • Established
I watched a program on this topic. A doctor claimed he would be able to pick the winner of the race simply by measuring the ratio for each runner. It is definitely interesting, and my ring finger is longer than my index finger. :)

intv

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
My ring finger is longer by only 1/8". My 3 year old son's are the same length. My wife was still on birth control pills for 3 months before she knew she was pregnant with him. I wonder if that suppressed the testosterone he got in the womb? He may be non-aggressive and predisposed to early heart disease, all because she wasn't in tune with her body!

Last edited:

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
Interesting, mine are about 1/4" longer.

spitboy

Throbbing Member
Awards
  • Established
Mine are exactly the same size! Hooray for man boobs and low muscle mass.

ps. I wouldn't worry about your toddler; I doubt the tests are statistically relevant to someone who hasn't hit puberty since the men measured were in it or past it.

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Cool, my ring finger on my right hand is a full 0.5" longer and 0.25" longer on my left.

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Well it explains my mesomorphic tendancies.

Warthog

Awards
I told my ex gf about this and since shes taking a social psychology class thats actually talking about aggression right now, i had her ask the Professor about the correlation of finger length and aggression. She asked the professor and she laughed at her. She said it was the most ridiculous thing she has ever heard.

Just figured i would share that info with you all

Jack of Shadows

Awards
From BBC News:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4314209.stm

this link has a sidebar on computing the ratio your own finger lengths:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/1613066.stm
I think the title of the BBC article is more than a little misleading. Finger length is a marker, but it is not the "key". The authors suggest that it serves as an index of the organizational effects of testosterone during development.

In the abstract to the original article, they note that "Men with lower, more masculine, finger length ratios had higher trait physical aggression scores (r(partial) = -0.21, N = 134, P = 0.028)." Let us all be sure to note that a correlation of .21 (or -.21) is hardly earth shattering and tells us that finger length ratio is explaining only a little more than 4% of the variance in aggression scores. That is hardly indicative of the “key� to aggression.

intv

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I told my ex gf about this and since shes taking a social psychology class thats actually talking about aggression right now, i had her ask the Professor about the correlation of finger length and aggression. She asked the professor and she laughed at her. She said it was the most ridiculous thing she has ever heard.

Just figured i would share that info with you all
Let her show the prof. some pubmed ;)

Finger length ratio (2D:4D) correlates with physical aggression in men but not in women.

Sex-specific finger-length patterns linked to behavioral variables: consistency across various human populations.

Second to fourth digit ratio (2D:4D) and testosterone in men.

shootmeagain

Awards
  • Established
I read a study that said guys who go around measuring their fingers are much more likely to waste time.

:D

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
Very interesting studies to say the least, but I'm somewhat confused. So the bigger the difference between the index and ring finger the more T exposure in the womb and thus translates to better fertility. They also state that a short index finger the higher the aggression, but what about the ratio?

Most importantly how do you measure finger length? I'm measuring from the knuckle because otherwise my index fingers are 1 inch shorter than the ring fingers do a lot of boxing and striking. Left ring finger is +.6" and right ring is +.45" so I should have higher T and increased aggression? The latter holds true but not the first unless that only indicates exposure in the womb. I should also have decreased heart risks but family history indicates otherwise.

Aeternitatis

Aeternitatis

Awards
  • Established
I like this:

"the male sex hormone testosterone, which is known to protect against heart attack. "