here they go again. the media loves this stuff

sweet-physique

sweet-physique

Awards
  • Established
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7037721/site/newsweek/

By Julie Scelfo and Dirk Johnson
Newsweek

March 7 issue - These were not standard cheers and jeers for a suburban Dallas high-school basketball game. Fans from Plano East on Friday night screamed at the rival Colleyville Heritage team in a local tournament: "Steroids! Steroids!" Some students held aloft a sign scribbled with the words GOT 'ROIDS? EAST DON'T. A scuffle erupted after the game, and a Plano East student was taken by ambulance to a local hospital.

In the warrior world of Texas high-school sports, tensions have become razor-sharp at Heritage High as a football steroid scandal has broken wide open. Nine unnamed Heritage students, most of them football players, have admitted to injecting the muscle-building drug in the past year. Police, meanwhile, are reportedly hunting for a "juice" peddler known as "Big Mike," thought to come from the affluent suburb of Southlake. Now Heritage coaches and administrators are scrambling to defend themselves against charges they ignored warnings from a parent. And some players are quietly pointing fingers at athletes from other schools, including a football powerhouse, Southlake Carroll Senior High, considered among the best in the nation. Nobody knows how severe the damage will be to Texas football. But this scandal has cast a serious pall on the glorious reputation of sports in Texas, a football-worshiping state where 20,000 fans often pack a high-school stadium under the Friday-night lights.

The steroid story at Heritage began to unfold one day last September, when a mom from suburban Dallas came across a strange travel bag in her son's closet. Lori Lewis opened the bag and gasped: she says she found syringes and a vial of liquid. Rushing to a drugstore, she learned it was steroids. When she confronted her son, a 17-year-old baseball player and former football player at Heritage, she says he confessed and told her he got the stuff from a senior on the football team.

The mom called the school and told an administrator her story. But instead of being grateful, Lewis told NEWSWEEK, school officials blew her off. Documents released by the school to comply with a Texas open-records request seem to bear out her claim. According to the documents, Steve Trachier, the district's executive director of administration, sent an e-mail to senior district officials saying that the mother's claim about steroids amounted to "unresearched and unfounded accusations." The football coach, Chris Cunningham, later went so far as to tell The Dallas Morning News: "The lady is a liar."

In October, the Morning News launched an investigation into steroid use at Heritage, after a local paper, Colleyville's Courier, ran a story that included quotes from students saying some Heritage athletes were on the juice. When reporters posed questions to the school, Heritage officials bore down and pushed for the truth. Pressed, nine students came forward in December and confessed, according to a school spokes-woman. When a Morning News series on steroids at Heritage was published in early February, it hit the Texas football community like a twister.

Faced with the crisis, Heritage school officials last Thursday held a forum, attended by 500 parents, to discuss the dangers of steroids. The principal, Robin Ryan, acknowledged the problem. An expert on steroids, Don Hooton, whose son, Taylor, hanged himself in 2003 after using the drug, spoke of the risks. Members of the Panther football squad sat in the front rows, looking stoic.

Officials at rival Southlake Carroll Senior High, whose football team is ranked in some polls as the best in America, say they are looking into the accusation that one of its football players uses steroids. At Heritage, meanwhile, school officials are defending their initial slowness to investigate by noting that Lewis's first call provided little more than unsubstantiated allegations. Robin McClure, a school-district spokesperson, stressed that coach Cunningham apologized on local television for calling the mom a liar, a statement he made because he felt as though he was being accused of knowing about the steroid use. McClure stresses that Cunningham confronted several of the athletes' parents months before the Morning News story was published.

Steroids can cause liver damage and severe mood swings. They can plunge a user into hopeless depression. But they can also turn an ordinary kid into a stud, a powerful lure in Texas sports culture, where gridiron stars are treated like kings. Texas kids learn early that sports stardom is heaven on earth. Ronnie Curcio, a supervisor at Sports Velocity Performance gym in Southlake, says kids pay up to $250 a month to pump iron. Curcio says the gym condemns the use of steroids.

At Heritage High, a school whose football team has lost more games than it's won in recent years, athletes ache with the desire to become champions. "Everybody wants to be number one, like Southlake Carroll," says Bradley Marshall, a Heritage student, but not a player. "They are big kids who win games."

As Hooton warned the Heritage community about the tragedies steroids can cause, there were tears in the eyes of some parents. Lori Lewis's son was not in the crowd. After she blew the whistle on steroid use, Lewis says, some of her son's friends turned their backs on him. The boy withdrew from Heritage and transferred to a nearby private school, where his mom says he hopes to play sports again. Soon after the Morning News series came out, some students hassled Lewis's son for coming forward, according to school records—and coaches held meetings with teams, lecturing against the hazing.

The school documents included letters of apology to the coach from steroid users. "I should have never lied to you," one student wrote. "The reason I lied to you was that I was scared and I did not want to disappoint you." The relentless pressure to win, it's clear, can make good kids do bad and dangerous things. There is life after sports, after all. Or at least there should be.

With Vanessa Juarez and Tracie Powell

D_town

D_town

Awards
  • Established
Steroids can cause liver damage and severe mood swings. They can plunge a user into hopeless depression. But they can also turn an ordinary kid into a stud, a powerful lure in Texas sports culture, where gridiron stars are treated like kings. Texas kids learn early that sports stardom is heaven on earth. Ronnie Curcio, a supervisor at Sports Velocity Performance gym in Southlake, says kids pay up to $250 a month to pump iron. Curcio says the gym condemns the use of steroids.
Spin, Spin, Spin, all day long.

Oral steroids can cause liver damage. Anyone can have mood swings, even steroid users. $250 a month, I spend $25- they must have some good trainers. It's very easy to spin this into a major faux paux.
Children should not use gear, however many high school athletes do and will continue to do so. Can we get back to the loopy kids who eat ecstasy and acid and snort meth that are having problems please. many more kids abuse those drugs than steroids. Juice use is minute compared to recreational drugs.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I just don't understand the big deal between gear and, say, pot. If 9 football players admitted to smoking pot together, I seriously doubt that would merit a Newsweek article. Same for any other rec drug.

Geeeeeeez.

sholiz

Awards
I'm expecting my HS senior year, about 3/4 of the football team will be on gear. I mean, we're dominating as it is in size -- average weight is 200lbs (20-25%BF) with an average bench press of 175 and squat of 275. That's just FRESHMEN. And I'm willing to bet a few of the FRESHMEN have ALREADY used DBol since it's oral and dosen't require needles or over extended preparations. I'm also willing to bet they didn't PCT, and will have some regrets in the near future.

EDIT: Change DBOL with any widely available oral ... WINSTROL, ect.

f_k

Awards
This is the way it was in my high school. I am from the same area. I knew of athletes using gear and this was almost 10 yrs ago. As for the Southlake gym price, that does not surprise. Southlake and Colleyville have quite a bit of money and a ton of disposable income. If you are from Texas, then I am sure you know sports, especially football, play a big role in many peoples' lives.

ivydude

Board Supporter
Awards
I feel like educators are at fault for the lack of knowledge teens have about AAS. Now I'm not advocating we have "how to inject" classes, but it seems steroids were always passed over in high school health class to talk about things like crystal meth that really weren't pertinent or available to anyone.

I think that from a policy perspective there may be a change in the amount of focus high school's give in teaching about AAS over the next few years as a result of the recent outcry.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
......Can we get back to the loopy kids who eat ecstasy and acid and snort meth that are having problems please. many more kids abuse those drugs than steroids. Juice use is minute compared to recreational drugs.
AMEN!

I love how they pick on the guy with unnatural muscles as opposed to the "poor soul" who has a disease and is an alcoholic, a meth addict, etc, etc.

LuckyBoy

Awards
  • Established
I like how the author refers to steroids simply as the "drug". As if they dont have any names, you'll just walk into a bathroom with a bottle that says "Steroids" on it. This is how I know immediately that an article will have no merit.

sweet-physique

sweet-physique

Awards
  • Established
steroid bashing is the flavor of the moment. We can only hope that the general public and media continue to uphold the short lived attention span and complete lack of adherence or dedication to this coverage that they normally show, and as the vast majority of the population exhibits towards exercise or resistance training in general. They will cover it heavily for a while and then move on to something else and the we can be left to pursue our freedom of choice and gym lifstyle in peace. It reminds me of the gym in Janaury, versus the gym in say July or October. All these people jump on the band wagon but they likely won't have the fortitude to stick with it. I hope this is the case and all the steroid bashing and focus on the evils of performance enhancment just fades away.

Boss_K

Awards
  • Established
it seems steroids were always passed over in high school health class to talk about things like crystal meth that really weren't pertinent or available to anyone.
Be glad you dont live somewhere that crystal meth is not pertinent. Where I'm from kids are doing that **** more than smoking weed. I'm sad to say I have in fact done it myself...but when your seeing every other kid doing it and not dying....well, i'm glad it never effected me but I do know a handful of people that are screwed up big-time. Education is the key.

mtruther

mtruther

Awards
AMEN!

I love how they pick on the guy with unnatural muscles as opposed to the "poor soul" who has a disease and is an alcoholic, a meth addict, etc, etc.
It's a heck of a lot easier to make a victim out of an alcie or pothead than a jacked up football player who could clean your clock.

As if you hadn't noticed, the media likes to make victims out of people and feel sorry for them. When it can't do that, it tears them down. Ain't it grand?

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Be glad you dont live somewhere that crystal meth is not pertinent. Where I'm from kids are doing that **** more than smoking weed. I'm sad to say I have in fact done it myself...but when your seeing every other kid doing it and not dying....well, i'm glad it never effected me but I do know a handful of people that are screwed up big-time. Education is the key.
Sadly enough they use scare tactics more than education. When a kid hears a line of **** he can usually tell. I remember when I was young I didn't trust a word that out of my teachers' mouths regarding drugs. They were the same people who handed me a line of **** about pot, all of which was contradicted by by science books readily available in the school library and my own experience. They're so desperate to keep any and every kid away from any and every drug that their methods backfire. I had one teacher, my father, who told me the truth. Alcohol and weed in moderation aren't too bad, but stay away from everything else because the risk isn't worth the reward. He didn't know much about steroids, so it was never an issue. I do wonder sometimes if he would have taken the same position on them or bought the BS.