Raw Eggs for your Health

BOHICA

BOHICA

Awards
  • Established
Many bodybuilders swear by eggs. Although most wouldn't ever think about taking them raw, this study talks about the benefits of taking eggs raw instead of cooked. I prefer mine with a dash of Splenda. (Thanks to Crowler who helped me take them)

"Raw whole eggs are a phenomenally inexpensive and incredible source of high-quality nutrients that many of us are deficient in, especially high-quality protein and fat. Eggs generally are one of the most allergic foods that are eaten, but I believe this is because they are cooked. If one consumes the eggs in their raw state the incidence of egg allergy virtually disappears. Heating the egg protein actually changes its chemical shape, and the distortion can easily lead to allergies."

http://www.mercola.com/2002/nov/13/eggs.htm

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
mmmm, raw eggs. i get about 6 a day in a blender with milk, pb, protein, oatmeal. good stuff. :)

jjjd

Awards
  • Established
this is still a controversial topic. some say that raw egg whites can't be efficiently utilized due to avidin issues.

comments? has anybody actually studied this?

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
what about diseases associated with raw eggs? I still find it weird; I grew up with mom and dad telling me how bad raw eggs were

EDIT:

lots of info on that site, is all that stuff pretty legit? I might try some organic eggs myself... are they any good with oatmeal (raw oats or traditional cooked oats?)... i'm curious of a good way to eat them...

BOHICA

BOHICA

Awards
  • Established
The only true disease people associate with raw eggs is salmonella. Which is talked about in the article

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
been eating em for years, sometimes at 12 a day. no issues.

meat250

Awards
OMG...12 raw eggs a day.....props to you bro...I could never

Meat

meat250

Awards
OMG...12 raw eggs a day.....props to you bro...I could never, and I grew up on a huge farm

Meat

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
it's pretty funny what you can do when you stop thinking about it so much and just do it. great, now i sound like a nike commercial. :)

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sorry I just don't believe that article. I took a course in college to become certified in foodservice sanitation. I still have the book and looked up Salmonellosis. Its a lot more common than you think. There is also a lot more to it than that article explains.

BOHICA

BOHICA

Awards
  • Established
I have read from many places, that one egg out of 30-50,000 contains salmonella. Also when that one egg is cooked, if it even is that it isn't cooked well enough to even kill the salmonella.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have read from many places, that one egg out of 30-50,000 contains salmonella. Also when that one egg is cooked, if it even is that it isn't cooked well enough to even kill the salmonella.

I don't understand what your trying to say here. It sounds like your just backing up what I say...

BOHICA

BOHICA

Awards
  • Established
I'm not backing up what you say, I'm saying it's not as common as you make it out to be. How many people do you know that have had salmonella?

jjjd

Awards
  • Established
i have heard 1/10,000 to 1/40,000 for salmonella

although, from what i have heard, if you ever get salmonella, you will be cured of a desire to eat raw eggs. :) it's that bad.

if i was "reasonably confident" that the protein in raw albumin (egg whites) was absorbable by the body (avidin), i would at least a dozen a day. probably 2

is there any science on this?
i'm just too concerned it's not available

diminuendo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Anyone who has ever eaten real Caesar dressing or mayonnaise has eaten raw eggs. Get over it. We Americans have vastly overblown fears pertaining to food sanitation. I spent a few months surfing in South East Asia and I ate some pretty gnarly food and was fine....Dim

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm not backing up what you say, I'm saying it's not as common as you make it out to be. How many people do you know that have had salmonella?
I've known of a lot of people that have had foodborne illness. Most cases are not reported though and don't make the news!. Some people just shrug it off and call it a stomach flu or a "bug". In particular a teacher of mine had it and its something you would not wish on your worst enemy. You just want to die its so bad. Like I said though, the reason that you "think" its not all that prevalant is that most cases are not reported.

Chippewa

Chippewa

Awards
  • Established
Sheesh, this is so confusing. For years I'd actually heard the reverse: that raw egg protein was less useful to the body, but COOKING it made it bioavailable as a protein source. In fact, I've seen that advice given repeatedly to warn young bb'ers away from the "myth of the raw egg" they get from watching "Rocky" movies.

Jeff

Awards
  • Established
Anyone who has ever eaten real Caesar dressing or mayonnaise has eaten raw eggs. Get over it. We Americans have vastly overblown fears pertaining to food sanitation. I spent a few months surfing in South East Asia and I ate some pretty gnarly food and was fine....Dim
G-Land? Tavarua? Maldieves? SriLanka? Indo? Help a surfed starved brother out. Talk about nasty sh!t, I was working in Brasil a few years ago and they had street venders selling BBQ rat!

So what the hell do I mix raw eggs with so I can keep them down and not gag while drinking them? Someone said splenda, just eggs and splenda? I am getting kind of sick of the cooked egg taste. If I get sick I won't know the difference, I go two tottlers, I am always sick :sick:

MorganKane

Awards
I had it.
Got it from chicken wings at a resturant.

Never been that sick in my life before.
Wishing I was dead.
On the toilet with the runs and puking at the same time.

Dehydrated and did not eat for days.

I was sick for over a week before I could sit up in the bed and watch tv.
The runs and puking for 6 days straight nonstop.

I was dead broke with no medical insurance so I did not go to the emergency room but probably should have.

For years after I would get physically ill when I past the resturant that made me sick. I did not each chicken wings for almost 6 years before I tried it again. Actually today almost 10 years later I still do not eat hotwings, I can barely eat some BBQ wings.

I can not even express how sick I got from it and salmonella is a bitch. It kills people.

Its not a huge change of getting it and even a smaller chance of getting really sick.

I wouldn't worry much about it but I will probably use something like Eggwhites International or the other one suggested here.

****, im getting sick just remembering.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I had it.

Wishing I was dead.

I was dead broke with no medical insurance so I did not go to the emergency room but probably should have.

For years after I would get physically ill when I past the resturant that made me sick. I did not each chicken wings for almost 6 years before I tried it again. Actually today almost 10 years later I still do not eat hotwings, I can barely eat some BBQ wings.

I can not even express how sick I got from it and salmonella is a bitch. It kills people.

Its not a huge change of getting it and even a smaller chance of getting really sick.

I wouldn't worry much about it but I will probably use something like Eggwhites International or the other one suggested here.

Bohica, Hate to say "I told you so". Also for all others thinking eating raw eggs is a good idea, just think about this post when your downing you bacteria juice!

diminuendo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Jeff,

I was in Indo mostly. I started in Bali, but after we surfed Padang, Uluwatu and Money Trees, we realized that we might as well head back to Hawaii if we were gonna have to deal with those crowds. We headed west to Java and got decent surf, but we took a cheap boat trip (from west java) to Panaitan island and surfed for two weeks and camped. Lesser known spots but awesome if you are ever there; one palm point, barbeques, and suicides are all awesome and the island is uninhabited literally. I could go on and on about surfing...dim

Nabeshin

Nabeshin

Awards
  • Established
Bohica, Hate to say "I told you so". Also for all others thinking eating raw eggs is a good idea, just think about this post when your downing you bacteria juice!
chicken wings != raw eggs

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
i'll take my chances. i've never heard of a case of someone getting sick from raw eggs. can it happen? maybe, maybe not. you can also die in a plane crash, but most still ride them anyway. reason being 'convenience'.

goes4ever

Awards
  • Established
I eat 6 raw eggs a day, mixed in a blender with whey potein, and splenda, good stuff!!!

joeyc

Awards
So what the hell do I mix raw eggs with so I can keep them down and not gag while drinking them? Someone said splenda, just eggs and splenda?
Put them in your protein shake.
Some skimmed milk 3 eggs protein powder whatever else you like. I like the shake better with the eggs because it is thicker but you can't taste the eggs.

PS: I've been eating raw eggs for many years and never got sick from them.....looks like I should stay away from chicken wings though.

Jeff

Awards
  • Established
I had it.

Wishing I was dead.

I must have had it one myself, from coleslaw at Long John Silvers. Same ****, litereally. Can't eat cabbage to this day.

MorganKane

Awards
I must have had it one myself, from coleslaw at Long John Silvers. Same ****, litereally. Can't eat cabbage to this day.
I did not tell you this part.

The 5 or 6th day after getting sick I had a job interview. The job interview took place in a mall. I was still sick as a dog and still had the shits.

I left the house probably 45 minutes before I would during normal circumstances. I stopped twice to take a **** on the way to the mall.

When I arrived at the mall I had to stop twice to take a **** again, the second time I puked this horrible bilge and had the taste of rotten **** in my mouth. Now this is before the stores are open so I could not buy any breathmints, so I walk into this job interview with the cold sweats, breath that could kill and just sick as a dog.

Thank god the job was simple and they would have hired a braindead monkey to do it so i was a perfect fit that day :lol:

The good part is that I did not have to stop on my way home, I made it home wihout puking or having the runs...

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
I tried that and it gave me instant diarreaha. Ive seen guys sit down to 2 lb mound of raw hamburger with 6 raw eggs in the middle of it. First they would suck down the raw eggs with a straw then consume the raw beef, this was accompanied by copious amounts of beer. They called it the "cannibal" it was supposed to be "healthy" they did this regularly and claimed no ill effects.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
I tried that and it gave me instant diarreaha. Ive seen guys sit down to 2 lb mound of raw hamburger with 6 raw eggs in the middle of it. First they would suck down the raw eggs with a straw then consume the raw beef, this was accompanied by copious amounts of beer. They called it the "cannibal" it was supposed to be "healthy" they did this regularly and claimed no ill effects.
now that, is just sick. raw eggs is one thing, raw hamburger is totally different.

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
I totally agree, they said it was the "manly" thing to do in the "old country" lol

BOHICA

BOHICA

Awards
  • Established
I have a friend that will eat his hamburgers so bloody it looks like the meat is still coming out of the package. We have been to restaurants where he has had to sign a form saying he can't complain if he gets sick from the hamburger meat since he wants it cooked so rare. Its disgusting.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Go ahead, keep it eating raw eggs. You will be sorry one day though when you end up with the toilet bowel as your new best friend!. I really doubt there is any benefit to eating raw eggs despite what a few website and articles might say. Hell, you can find a website about anything, saying that this or that is good for you, and also you will find 1000's of other websites contradicting the others. You can choose to do want you want on your own though. I can't believe some people come to the internet looking for simple basic answers to simple basic questions though. Like the posts that say should I take this or that?. Is this good for me?. Is this bad?. Anyway, I'm way off topic now so sorry. Well no offense to anyone here, but I am kind of sick of this topic. You can only go back and fourth on a subject so many times before its boring.

Siberian

Awards
Dr mercola isnt just some nobody. hes one of the most respected natural health experts in the world.

diminuendo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
In the USA 30,000 people a year kill themselves intentionaly. About 15,000 die of AIDS. 2,000 people a year die of staph-infected paper cuts. About 30 children drown in buckets, while usually about a half-dozen drown in the ****ter. Why? cause our population is so large (check China's death statistics). If you want to cower in your hermeticaly sealed hotel room go ahead, and tell the ghost of Howard Hughes I said hi. I am going to go shoot up some heroine, then go bareback a dirty hooker. But first I am going to drink some raw eggs...Dim

Last edited:
Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
In the USA 30,000 people a year kill themselves intentionaly. About 15,000 die of AIDS. 2,000 people a year die of stap-infected paper cuts. About 30 children drown in buckets, while usually about a half-dozen drown in the shitter. Why? cause our population is so large (check China's death statistics). If you want to cower in your hermeticaly sealed hotel room go ahead, and tell the ghost of Howard Hughes I said hi. I am going to go shoot up some heroine, then go bareback a dirty hooker. But first I am going to drink some raw eggs...Dim
:lol:
i like this guy.

DmitryWI

DmitryWI

I know nothing...
Awards
  • Established
:lol:
i like this guy.
LOL Yea, good stuff.

T-bone, if you can't stomach it, it's your business, stop crying about it.

P.S. The most chance to get salmonella is from bacteria on OUTSIDE the shell, so if you want to reduce your chances, just wash eggs with some hot water and soap. Or just don't lick it.:lol:

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
People are pretty passionate about the raw egg issue. I've seen it rip families apart and end marriages.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
People are pretty passionate about the raw egg issue. I've seen it rip families apart and end marriages.
lmao, you guys are killing me. :whip:

or maybe it's the raw eggs........

MorganKane

Awards
now that, is just sick. raw eggs is one thing, raw hamburger is totally different.
Its called Steak Tartar.
Normally its a good quality steak thats chopped then severed with a raw egg on top.

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
I used to work food service for years, there are people coming down with salmonella every day. The health department has a list that it publishes and sends to the chef. This list show every case of food poisining, type, and restauraunt where it occured etc. There is an unbelievable number of cases! Some people are just more prone than others. IMO you could get all of the benefit and none of the risk by using powdered eggs. Yes food borne illness can be fatal!

BOHICA

BOHICA

Awards
  • Established
Ever had Ranch Salad Dressing? That's a good use of raw eggs right there.

diminuendo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
The CDC sites 500 fatal cases of Salmonellosis, almost exclusivley elderly with arthritis (it is a complicating factor) and young with weak immune systems. 500, more people die every year in masturbation related accidents...Dim

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I used to work food service for years, there are people coming down with salmonella every day. The health department has a list that it publishes and sends to the chef. This list show every case of food poisining, type, and restauraunt where it occured etc. There is an unbelievable number of cases! Some people are just more prone than others. IMO you could get all of the benefit and none of the risk by using powdered eggs. Yes food borne illness can be fatal!

Thanks for backing me up!. I've worked in foodservice also. I took a foodservice sanitation and safety course, years ago in college. They brought in samples of parasites!. They brought in a Trichinella Spiralis. This is roundworm that lives in humans,pigs,rats,and wild game. This thing was in a jar and must have been a few feet long. Cook all your food!. Foodbourne Illness is not something to mess around with!

BOHICA

BOHICA

Awards
  • Established
alright, who the **** died from masturbating? :think:

please, no pics. :nono:
I didn't die, but it was a freak accident that caused my house to cave in... please don't ask, its to traumatic :nono:

diminuendo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
My apologies, I am sure the sanitation class you took years ago was more of a deffinitive source of data than the CDC, and now that you have the "backing" of knowbull your case is clearly irrefutable. One final nail in the coffin of my feeble and half-baked (you may not want to taste it T-Bone) would be some numbers to back up your case. As working in food service means nothing of your knowledge of infectious or food bourne disease vectors. Would you trust your bus-boy to know infection parameters, I hope not. One more thing, the sanitation Nazis have a vested interest in boosting fear, as it allows them to sell a need for their existence. Just some food (fully cooked of course) for thought...Dim

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well the course did teach me a lot. It was one step of becoming a health inspector, allthough I didn't pursue that career. We actually did do some health inspections. I am sorry I didn't pursue it actually. A health inspector would have been the perfect job for me!. I can't give any numbers as like I said, most cases are not reported.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Brocodeout69 Nutrition / Health 71
bell1986 Nutrition / Health 15
william247 Nutrition / Health 24
cory0475 Nutrition / Health 25
Weight Loss 11