And now for some debate....

goa1175

Awards
I read through this on MSN and found several of these to be hilarious. Just thought I'd share! I especially enjoyed "myth" number 2.
----------------------------------------
7 muscle myths!

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
As for Myth One, yes and no. It's the time under tension that really matters, and for hypertrophy the load the muscle sees is the key, and it needs to be enough to damage it. Myth Two again, yes and no. You can only build so much muscle, your body can use only so many calories before it just starts storing them as fat. Myth Three, they're right. Doing the exercise properly is more advantageous than doing one that's supposedly easier on the joints. It's like a bad driver buying a 'safe' car like a Volvo or a Saab, it's missing the point. Leg extension machines are basically just knee sheering machines, I stay away from them. They're right again on Myth 4, it's BS. Haycock has some studies on this over at his site. Sore muscles are still capable of being exercised effectively, and protein synthesis still goes on. I believe the studies he has there show a 36-48 hour window for muscle repair, after which you should exercise again, which is the basis for the Frequency principle in HST training. For Myth Five, they're right again. There's little to no evidence showing stretching helps prevent injury. Doesn't matter to me though, it feels good and it's a good way to get my mind into destroy mode before working out. As for the Swiss Ball, it's great for crunches but I don't do any exercises like bench presses on it. As for Myth Seven, there I'd disagree with them. Machines have their place, but nothing beats a good set of free weights ofr building strength and mass, and they're a hell of a lot essier on the wallet too. To me, and as they mention in the article unless you're injured and recovering, there's little point in isolating muscles. If they're lagging that much you're not doing the exercises properly and should switch to one you can do correctly.

BLee32x

Awards
Uh, what is so hilarious about that? I am a believer in every single on of those....

And despite what all the "board experts" say, it IS possible to eat too much of ANYTHING. If the body does not feel the need to use it, or cannot because of the excess, it will either be excreted or stored away for later use. I love people who toat that they consume 2g of protein per lb of body weight. I feel that just 1-2 shakes a day to supplement my regular diet is more than enough. I have done 5-6 shakes in the past and have found no noticeable difference...just a lot more gas. I believe that this "myth" was brought about by protein shake companies looking to sell more and paying off BB's or competitors to say that they take X amount of protein shakes. Then people just started to do it and it's been kept alive. Do what you want, but nobody is going to change my mind on this topic, even if you give me "research" to back it up....I have done my personal research and have my own data and analysis....thank you.

As far as the other ones, super slow doesn't do ****. Again I have tried it. Ooo, feel the burn....yea. Too bad "burn" doesn't = muscle mass gain. Sorry, lactic acid buildup doesn't mean that your muscles are necessarily going to grow.

If you haven't learned that squats are safer on the knees than leg extensions, crawl out from under the rock your living in. BTW, George W. Bush is president.

Doing a light workout for a sore muscle will in fact help in recovery. More blood to the area = more nutrients = faster recovery. Not vigorous enough to break the muscle down even further, but get a nice refreshing "pump" and it will help in recovery. Results will obviously vary between people though.

Stretching before working out can actually INDUCE injury. Just a light stretch before a workout is all you need. Don't stop stretching all together, but stretching too much can stretch out ligaments, tendons, etc. out too much and cause them to be weakened. Not a good thing when you are planning on going heavy. Warm up sets tho are extremely important IMO.

Machines CAN help you build muscle, but to a limited degree. Like the example given, why do chin ups when you can only do 2-3? A lat pulldown machine would be a great supplement to get stronger to be able to do more chins.

To every man their own tho....

goa1175

Awards
I agree that too much of anything can be bad, but for me (and many others it seems) 1gm of protein per pound of body weight just doesn't cut it. The specific quote that I thought was funny is when they were discussing fast vs. slow lifting. They stated that the fast lifting group burned 71% more calories and lifted 250% more weight. That seems like a no-brainer. If I'm curling 5lb I'm sure that in the same time frame I can do at least 2.5 times more reps than with 45lb!
I just posted this to get some discussion going.

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
Blee32x- You might want to keep in mind that when I was 19 like you are(and I'm sure alot of guys will agree to this), I could grow while eating pretty much anything.(junk food, not alot of protein, whatever). In just a few short years when your natural hormone levels start to decline, you will need every edge you can get to keep growing. And guess what that means, natural or not,-extra protein. Laugh at the guys eating 2 grams per pound of bodyweight if you want, but they'll be the guys walking around bigger, stronger, and faster than you. Not trying to flame you or anything but eating more protein is bodybuilding 101, day 1. Don't rule it out.

BLee32x

Awards
Blee32x- You might want to keep in mind that when I was 19 like you are(and I'm sure alot of guys will agree to this), I could grow while eating pretty much anything.(junk food, not alot of protein, whatever). In just a few short years when your natural hormone levels start to decline, you will need every edge you can get to keep growing. And guess what that means, natural or not,-extra protein. Laugh at the guys eating 2 grams per pound of bodyweight if you want, but they'll be the guys walking around bigger, stronger, and faster than you. Not trying to flame you or anything but eating more protein is bodybuilding 101, day 1. Don't rule it out.
Faster? :rolleyes: When you can run a 4.8 40, then talk to me. The day I need 500g+ of ANYTHING in my body is the day....whatever, really thru arguing this. Believe what you, but I believe that THAT much extra protein won't be giving you as big an edge as you think. Whatever tho, you are gonna do whatever the Hell you want despite what I say, and I will do the same.

Peace.

FrTimothy

FrTimothy

Awards
Hello

Faster? :rolleyes: When you can run a 4.8 40, then talk to me. The day I need 500g+ of ANYTHING in my body is the day....whatever, really thru arguing this. Believe what you, but I believe that THAT much extra protein won't be giving you as big an edge as you think. Whatever tho, you are gonna do whatever the Hell you want despite what I say, and I will do the same.

Peace.
and you will be a very distinct minority...not to mention, never a champion bodybuilder or powerlifter.
I have tried it both ways of eating 1 gram of protein per lb vs. 2 and it was night and day. It works for an overwhelming majority so generally speaking it is an axiom.

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established

Peace.
No offense bro, 4.8 is not fast at all even for a 250lb guy like myself. I agree though, no use arguing, you've made up your mind. You're right and THOUSANDS of bodybuilders and strength trainers, etc. are wrong. Good luck with all of that.:box:

BLee32x

Awards
No offense bro, 4.8 is not fast at all even for a 250lb guy like myself. I agree though, no use arguing, you've made up your mind. You're right and THOUSANDS of bodybuilders and strength trainers, etc. are wrong. Good luck with all of that.:box:
I was actually gonna say something to this, but don't feel like wasting my time. Oh, and saying a 4.8 40 isn't fast, lololol....bro, I can see where you and your intellect is coming from now.

CYA guys later.

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
I was actually gonna say something to this, but don't feel like wasting my time. Oh, and saying a 4.8 40 isn't fast, lololol....bro, I can see where you and your intellect is coming from now.

CYA guys later.
You cannot be serious. Yeah, 4.8 is fast...for a lineman. In middle school. 3rd string. Practice squad. On the special olympics traveling team. Scouts DROOL over 4.8 speed.:blink: Let me guess, a big bench is 135lbs too right?

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established

CYA guys later.
Damn...pretty harsh.

NoSwtTea4U

Board Supporter
Awards
You cannot be serious. Yeah, 4.8 is fast...for a lineman. In middle school. 3rd string. Practice squad. On the special olympics traveling team. Scouts DROOL over 4.8 speed.:blink: Let me guess, a big bench is 135lbs too right?
Ricky Proel is the slowest WR in the NFL at a 5.0 40. I would estimate maybe 10% of offensive linemen in high school can get a 40 under 5. You guys may be clouded by seeing all of the "4.3" 40's floating around with recruits, etc..But a 4.8 is a rather flattering speed for someone who is not an athlete. I think most would agree a 4.6 is fast regardless of what you do and going from a 4.8 to a 4.6 can be a difference in techniques. The 40 time is very overrated is college/high school because you can change so many little things that make a big outcome on your 40 time. Truth is, many people play much faster than they time..but once you get past the say 3, maybe even 4 star recruits, a 4.8 is a huge minority, ecspecially among white people.

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
I've always considered something like a 4.6 to be in the "fast" category. I played with guys(many white) at different levels who ran from anywhere from 4.4, 4.5 and up, but never was 4.8 considered "fast". I know how innacurate "timed 40's" can be and speed alone doesn't make a good football player, of course, but when a guy tells me to "come talk to him when I run a 4.8" during a discussion on protein intake it's laughable and the smart ass comments flow like wine.:D

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
I agree that too much of anything can be bad, but for me (and many others it seems) 1gm of protein per pound of body weight just doesn't cut it. The specific quote that I thought was funny is when they were discussing fast vs. slow lifting. They stated that the fast lifting group burned 71% more calories and lifted 250% more weight. That seems like a no-brainer. If I'm curling 5lb I'm sure that in the same time frame I can do at least 2.5 times more reps than with 45lb!
I just posted this to get some discussion going.
That's one of most common bits of nonsense you hear in exercise lore though, so I'm not surprised it's in there. It's part of the whole lifting lite to burn calories, trying to combine weight training with aerobic exercise fad. What they really end up doing is getting ineffecient versions of both forms of exercise, which will sort of work over the long term, but it's better to train with a method specifically designed to hit a specific goal, not to hit two or three at the same time.

R-Mac

R-Mac

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established

CYA guys later.
Blee...whats with the attitude, if the bro's here wanted to deal with threads like this we'd all head over to bb.com, aka teentools.com.......let me just make a quick observation, have you noticed that everyone that has replied to the post is almost 10 yrs older than you :think: ...we have experienced different stages in life of our body...one's with natty hormone levels through the roof, and ones when levels are slowing down...you say you have done your "own personal reseach"....great, I commend you...but you havent experienced your body at our age let alone even the age of 20 yet...so why are you so close minded to this?? ...Can you provide reaseach that says higher protein intake doesnt work for bodybuilders, cause if you can I think all 11,400 members would love to read it...again we are giving you feedback on our experience, take it for what its worth...we are by no means saying you have to believe in it, but dont come on hear barking my way is the right way, cause our way works for US..

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
I agree R-mac. I would love to see some studies that show low protein diets are good for building muscle. Then I wouldn't have to eat so much freakin chicken and tuna every day! Save money on protein powder too!:thumbsup:

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
Don't know why we had to bring 40 yard dash #'s up but...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/news/story?id=1831373

Of course there's a lot of variables, especially to someone on the internet that you don't even know.

And I def. disagree w/ whomever said a 19 year old can grow on junk food.
It was my fault kinda, I made, the bigger,faster, stronger comment and that blee guy told me to come talk to him when I could run a 4.8 like he could. The 19 year old thing was generalization, meaning that due to higher hormones, and other reasons a guy that age has more leeway in his diet.

Grant

Awards
  • Established
I agree R-mac. I would love to see some studies that show low protein diets are good for building muscle. Then I wouldn't have to eat so much freakin chicken and tuna every day! Save money on protein powder too!:thumbsup:
For real, my friends wouldnt mind hanging out with me then, haha sometimes the gas gets too bad, hell I cant even stand to be around myself when I have to succumb to WPC.

goa1175

Awards
For real, my friends wouldnt mind hanging out with me then, haha sometimes the gas gets too bad, hell I cant even stand to be around myself when I have to succumb to WPC.
Hear ya there bra. Ever tried WPI instead? Seems to have made a difference with my gut anyway.

goa1175

Awards

CYA guys later.
Anybody see him leave? All I saw was a blurred streak!

Grant

Awards
  • Established
Hear ya there bra. Ever tried WPI instead? Seems to have made a difference with my gut anyway.
Yea but now I only have about 3 scoops of it left, and Ive got a whole tub of ON whey laughing at me, knowing that my freinds will soon not want to come over, haha.

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
Anybody see him leave? All I saw was a blurred streak!
lol! :hammer: Man this thread took a wrong turn somewhere!

Hey Grant- another thing you might try is adding psyllium fiber husks to your shakes. It slows it down a bit so it's not racing thru your digestive track wreaking havok.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Your protein has to be regulated with what your body can use and what you're doing to use it up. The average person in the gym will never need to use 2.0 grams of protein per body weight. Considering their audience is going to be the average person. Most articles are meant for the average and not the small % that exceed those standards.

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
There's a larger picture than that. It also depends on what the ratios of protein/carbs/fat in your diet. The typical bodybuilding diet is higher in protein and lower in fat and carbs. They also have different hormonal responses in the body.

R-Mac

R-Mac

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established

LMAO...I've lost track at how many times Ive knocked myself out from my own gas..

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
LMAO...I've lost track at how many times Ive knocked myself out from my own gas..
Try knocking the wife out with your nasty ass. Over time, she's actually become immune to my stench.