CoQ10

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Originally Published:20040601.

CoQ10 is the spark plug that ignites the body's engine by jump starting energy production within all cells. The body then uses that energy to fuel all its vital processes, including muscle contraction and digestion. Therefore, the presence of CoQ10 in the body is essential to the sustaining of life. Without an adequate supply of CoQ10, the body cannot maintain normal levels of activity nor can it ward off or fight health disorders. A quarter of a century of clinical testing has shown that CoQ10 is effective in increasing energy levels, in treating heart diseases, in enhancing the immune system, in reversing periodontal disease, in providing antioxidant activity and in preventing certain side effects of common drugs.

CoQ10 supplements have been consumed by millions of people for nearly 30 years without serious adverse effects. That is because CoQ10 exists naturally in the human body and consequently there are no adverse side effects from restoring this vital nutrient to its normal level. In tests of thousands of people in Japan, Europe and the United States over a period of more than 40 years, no toxicity has ever been shown, no matter how high the intake amount.

As we grow older, the level of CoQ10 in our bodies decreases. This can be due to several factors: the inability of the body to produce or synthesize adequate amounts of CoQ10, an insufficiency of CoQ10 in the diet or the effect of various outside influences such as stress or disease.

With the impact of increasing stress and the continuing growth of chronic disease on modern life, the public is becoming more aware of and turning to the imperative of wellness and nutritional supplementation. Research evidences that CoQ10 should be considered a cornerstone of a comprehensive individual nutrition program, whether an individual isyoungorold, healthy or not so healthy.

Because CoQ10 supplies cells with more natural energy, CoQ10 enhances stamina and improves the body's overall state of health and wellness. It also protects against free radicals, strengthens the immune system and fosters greater resistance to disease. CoQ10 has been proven to be a significant value in alleviating the effects of the following:

* Heart disease

* High blood pressure

* Cancer

* Aging

* HIV/AIDS

* Muscular dystrophy

* Multiple sclerosis and Parkinson's disease

* Periodontal disease

* Statin drugs.

Research shows that the method by which statin drugs work to block cholesterol also has the potential to block the production of CoQ10. Since people who take statins may already suffer from low levels of CoQ10, such added depletion is of great concern. The combined use of CoQ10 and statins, however, can prevent the depletion of CoQ10 and thereby help to minimize the risk of statin-induced cardiac dysfunction, liver dysfunction, muscle weakness, cardiomyopathy and congestive heart failure.

It is recommended that people who suffer from risk factors of any of the above diseases or conditions should raise their CoQ10 levels as soon as possible.

sawastea

Awards
I've read several reports that state that you should limit your CoQ10 consumption to under 100mg daily and not taking it everyday, more like 10-14 days on, and a few days off. Any truth behind this? Of course, for every story/publication you read that says ABC, there is another one that states XYZ.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Of course, for every story/publication you read that says ABC, there is another one that states XYZ.

Bingo. THis is something I haven't really researched that much so you could be right.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
It's so expensive I couldn't afford to run it at higher doses anyways.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
nothing really. I can't say that I feel particularly different when using it. I use it in hopes that it has the health benefits.
Ok. Thanks for the clarrification.

My g/f is supposed to take it for her CFS but it's one of the more expensive items on her list so she leaves it out :(

A

swany

Awards
Idebenone replaces this yes? no?
That's what I use... I take 500mg /day for 50 cents/day. Sometimes twice a day. They say when you exercise coq10 can become a pro-oxidant.....

Syr

Syr

Hot Italian Goldmember
Awards
  • Established
They say when you exercise coq10 can become a pro-oxidant.....
Where did you read this?
I take 30mg CoQ10 within the multi, its not much but seems fine for me.

Cosmo

Awards
Not sure if this comes into play in strenous excersize or not but I found this here

Co Q10’s pro-oxidant action

When blood flow is seriously reduced to any part of the body, as in a heart attack, stroke, trauma, shock, or chronic poor blood circulation- cellular/ mitochondrial oxygen (O2) levels quickly drop in the affected region. Yet because oxygen is seven to eight times more soluble in the lipid zones of cell membrane, compared to the watery compartments of the cell, there is still sufficient oxygen remaining in the membranes of cells and organelles, as well as in the electron transport chain, to auto-oxidize Co Q10. As the Co Q10 auto-oxidizes, hydrogen peroxide, superoxide and hydroxl free radicals are rapidly formed in massive numbers. These free radicals quickly damage cell/ organelle structure and function, as well as rapidly halt ATP energy generation by the electron transport chain.

Brain and spinal cord cells are especially prone to such damage, and may be irreparably damaged or even destroyed within minutes.

swany

Awards
Where did you read this?
I take 30mg CoQ10 within the multi, its not much but seems fine for me.
I don't know how you would know 30mg was good for you... you can feel it?
The only people I see that ever say they feel it are selling in on the home shopping network.
No one selliing coq10 will tell you it's faults either if they don't carry the idebenone.
They will if they carry both because idebenone is much more expensive, at least until now.
I buy it for $1/gram of smi2le.biz...His business got messed up when the dea raided him.
They didn't find anything but took his computer. It's taking him a while to ship now,I'd wait
a while if you're interested and get it then. I may be taking too much of that stuff, but
cost doesn't matter to me, so I'll try it.

Syr

Syr

Hot Italian Goldmember
Awards
  • Established
I don't know how you would know 30mg was good for you... you can feel it?
I cant say if i'm feeling it, cause i never took it alone and compared. I said "it seems fine for me".
I checed CoQ10 only products and they have from 10 to 100 mg.
I generally feel better when i take my multi in the morning and it has 30mg of CoQ10 and other antioxidants too.

I've never tried Idebenone. I'll do a search about it and eventually i will try it and compare.

Lanceromance

Awards
I feel CoQ10 is one of the most important things you can put in your body. All the literature I've read says doses up to 400mg, even 600mg/ day are good. I do know that it is pricey but that is because of how it is made. Mitsubishi in Japan (main manufacturer) says that it takes 16 steps to make it. I just heard over the wire that a company in korea has some new bacterial fermentation process that is more efficient and will thus cost less. I use Q-Gel CoQ10 that is suppose to be 3 times more efficient at getting in. They make a 100mg softgel which is suppose to be like 300mg of the others, so they claim. Tishcon makes it. http://www.coq.com/coqgel.html I use the Country-Life brand.

Sir Foxx

Sir Foxx

Awards
  • Established
Bill Phillips was highly against this supplement. In the last Supp. Guide he produced he listed numerous studies showing pro-oxidant characteristics of CoQ10.

Sir Foxx

Sir Foxx

Awards
  • Established
Here is Bill Phillips review:

"OK, after digging up my old EAS supp review, here is what Bill Phillips had to say on Coenzyme Q10:

"There is no disputing the crucial role coenzyme Q10(CoQ10) plays in energy production throughout the body. It has also been documented to have potent antioxidant characteristics(1,2). All of that is fine and dandy, but will taking oral doses actually help athletes perform better?

The answer appears to be NO! And for that reason, my stance on this supplement has not changed since I put it on the "F" list in the 1996 Supplement Review. As a matter of fact, I have come across even more evidence to suggest coenzyme Q10 has no effect on exericise performance in healthy individuals and may even hinder it.

One very solid study using a double-blind, cross-over design looked at the effects of 300mg/day of coenzyme Q10, plus a few other nutrients, on performance of 11 elite triathletes. No significant differences were noted in ANY performance parameters between coenzyme Q10 group and the placebo group(3). One other study performed on untrained men using 150mg/day reported similar results.(4)

Not only does this stuff not help, it may actually hurt your muscle-building efforts! A new study involving coenzyme Q10 and 15 healthy males showed that the stuff, under conditions of intense exercise, may actually cause cell damage secondary to possible pro-oxidant activity when taken in supplemental amounts.(5)

Don't waste your time or money on this one! If you just happen to have some coenzyme Q10 lying around the house, you might consider mixing it with a little water and trying it as a weed killer."

(1) O. Spigset, "Coenzyme Q10(Ubiquinone) in the Treatment of Heart Failure. Are Any Positive Effects Documented?" Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen 114.8 (1994): 939-942

(2) C. Weber, et al., "Effect of Dietary Coenzyme Q10 as an Antioxidant in Human Plasma, " Mol. Aspects Med. 15 Suppl. (1994): 97-102

(3) I.P. Snider, et al., "Effects of Coenzyme Athletic Performance System as an Erogenic Aid on Endurance Performance to Exhaustion," Int. J. Sport Nutr. 2.3. (1992): 272-286

(4) D.A. Porter, et al., "The Effect of Oral Coenzyme Q10 on the Exercise Tolerance of Middle-Aged Untrained Men, " Int. J. Sports Med. 16.7 (1995): 421-427

(5) C. Malm, et al., "Supplementation with Ubiquinone-10 Causes Cellular Damage During Intense Exercise," Acta Physiol. Scand. 157 (1996) : 511-512
"

Lanceromance

Awards
100mg which is suppose to absorb in like 300mg.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Prince IronMag Labs 0
Supplements 29
Royd The Noyd Male Anti-Aging Medicine 0
Ari Gold Product Reviews 0
Supplements 39