Benefits of Walking

TipTopShape

TipTopShape

Awards
  • Established
Walking can make your muscles quite responsive, which helps the glucose to work within your cells & not to accumulate in your blood. It’s able to avert the diabetes & other diabetes related ailments. I just wanna share what ive been doing as an exercise....partly just walking.LOLs:biggthumpup:

drudixon

Awards
Walking can make your muscles quite responsive, which helps the glucose to work within your cells & not to accumulate in your blood. It’s able to avert the diabetes & other diabetes related ailments. I just wanna share what ive been doing as an exercise....partly just walking.LOLs:biggthumpup:
You're right on. Walking's great. Helps kick get your body to break down triglycerides. Walking also is one of the highest fat burning exercises there is (per calorie burned). That said, you can burn more calories with higher intensity exercise, and by extension more fat.

I like to walk twice a day, once for 15 minutes in the morning, then an hour at lunch. I used to smoke, so walking gets me up and about and breaks the monotony of being in the chair all day.

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
I know one thing that helped me lose weight before I started getting into lifting a few years ago was going for a walk after dinner, or doing anything other than sitting on my ass not moving.....

Can't now, since its 10 effing degrees (F), but if we go to the big city we'll go walk the mall after lunch or supper at a resturaunt.

RoadBlocK

RoadBlocK

Awards
  • Established
Walking can be great, especially for couples, it can be the beginning of something good since it doesnt take too much effort to get started.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I love going for walks. A long walk can be better for you than running in that it doesn't put as much pressure on the knees and you will lose less muscle walking rather than all out running. Its better in the spring though since most sidewalks aren't plowed and its no fun slipping on ice.

snuggy

Awards
I was hitting 200 pounds when I realized to reduce weight. My blood works and cholesterol levels came normal but my blood pressure was elevated. I was prescribed medicine for BP but I was skeptical to start the dosages for BP. I learnt yoga from a guru and started practicing Surya Namaskar & Kapalbathi. I also started a brisk walking regimen. All these made me shed 25pounds in 3 weeks. I need to reduce 20 more pounds to reach my BMI but am really confident that I can reduce that with determination.

muscleminded

Awards
ive read a lot about the benefits of walking first thing in the morning before eating anything

Blergs

Blergs

Awards
  • Established
good i walk ALOT!

Eberly

Banned
Awards
you are absolutely right.

Eberly

Banned
Awards
You're right on. Walking's great. Helps kick get your body to break down triglycerides. Walking also is one of the highest fat burning exercises there is (per calorie burned). That said, you can burn more calories with higher intensity exercise, and by extension more fat.

I like to walk twice a day, once for 15 minutes in the morning, then an hour at lunch. I used to smoke, so walking gets me up and about and breaks the monotony of being in the chair all day.
i agree with you

Eberly

Banned
Awards
I know one thing that helped me lose weight before I started getting into lifting a few years ago was going for a walk after dinner, or doing anything other than sitting on my ass not moving.....

Can't now, since its 10 effing degrees (F), but if we go to the big city we'll go walk the mall after lunch or supper at a resturaunt.
thanks for sharing this

Eberly

Banned
Awards
I love going for walks. A long walk can be better for you than running in that it doesn't put as much pressure on the knees and you will lose less muscle walking rather than all out running. Its better in the spring though since most sidewalks aren't plowed and its no fun slipping on ice.
bro,
walking is a good exercise for body.Everyone should like walking.

Eberly

Banned
Awards
I was hitting 200 pounds when I realized to reduce weight. My blood works and cholesterol levels came normal but my blood pressure was elevated. I was prescribed medicine for BP but I was skeptical to start the dosages for BP. I learnt yoga from a guru and started practicing Surya Namaskar & Kapalbathi. I also started a brisk walking regimen. All these made me shed 25pounds in 3 weeks. I need to reduce 20 more pounds to reach my BMI but am really confident that I can reduce that with determination.
bro,
Don'y worry .Just avoid fat and carbohydrate.Walk atlist 1/2 an hour per day.you must be reduce your weight.

Eberly

Banned
Awards
Walking is good for health.For long live we should walk regularly in the morning before breakfast.

steve0003

Awards
I have gradually lost over 30 pounds of fat just from walking a few times a week. I go several miles now but I didn't start out going that far.

IMHO there is not much excuse for not doing this one. It's not difficult. It won't hurt your joints. If you're fat then you are already better insulated against the cold weather than thinner people. You just gotta nut up and do it.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Started doing this...
How are u guys doing this? 30 min? 45 min?

Brisk walking or casual?

I did it 1 day last week... I like to do it in place of cardio cause I hate cardio!

jared767

Awards
Started doing this...
How are u guys doing this? 30 min? 45 min?

Brisk walking or casual?

I did it 1 day last week... I like to do it in place of cardio cause I hate cardio!
Brisk walking and casual...Brisk walking for cardio and casual to usually clear my mind..but both relieve stress.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Yeah I'm going to start doing that more often.

AllMay

Awards
My brother walked everywhere for about 3 months (he didn't have a car and most everything he needed was in walking distance.) He lost 30 lbs without trying.

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
I can't stand running in the least bit, so I'll walk with a weighted pack.

WPChickDiesel

WPChickDiesel

Awards
Walking regularly at a good speed improves your muscle strength and endurance and also helps build stamina. It is good for your heart. Walking is known to reduce your blood pressure, improve your blood circulation and all round cardio vascular functions. Walking is said to be good for your bones. It is a great way to strengthen your bones. Walking about 30 minutes a day increases your bone density and slows down bone loss in your legs. This low-impact exercise is also said to target your spine, legs and hips. It promotes mental well-being. Known as a great stress-buster, if you walk outdoors, the combination of fresh air and exercise is an excellent way to boost your morale and mood.

Helps prevent type 2 diabetes. Studies have revealed that walking approximately 150 minutes per week can reduce the risk of diabetes.
Walking, combined with a sensible healthy diet rich in greens and low in added dietary fats and preservatives helps to prevent Type 2. Walking alone won't do much if the person never changes their diet. I try to stress this to my fiance. It aggravates me because he knows my profession and although he is trying, something things are just hard to break out of an old dog's habits! He has high cholesterol and high blood pressure, and has not really changed his diet (prior to meeting me) at all! Since planning our wedding I have encouraged him to add cardio to his workouts, and minimize the "extra" fat and sugars in his diet! He is one of those people who thinks they will lose the flavor if they buy fat free or light fat selections. I believe it is all in their head. We will get married in less than two months and then be living together, and I told him there is no way with me being a nutritionist that I will allow my husband to walk around unhealthy! I want him to be healthy so we can live happily ever after, so slowly I am making changes for him to adjust to prior to our sharing a dwelling so he isn't shocked.
With me also being a national level competitor I don't like to have regular cheats, in fact I rarely do! And that's like an everyday thing for him and I love him for him, but I also don't want the temptation!!! no way!
okay, sorry....I just noticed I went from statement, to babble, to venting! Eeek! Sorry.

JRam

JRam

Awards
Walking, combined with a sensible healthy diet rich in greens and low in added dietary fats and preservatives helps to prevent Type 2. Walking alone won't do much if the person never changes their diet. I try to stress this to my fiance. It aggravates me because he knows my profession and although he is trying, something things are just hard to break out of an old dog's habits! He has high cholesterol and high blood pressure, and has not really changed his diet (prior to meeting me) at all! Since planning our wedding I have encouraged him to add cardio to his workouts, and minimize the "extra" fat and sugars in his diet! He is one of those people who thinks they will lose the flavor if they buy fat free or light fat selections. I believe it is all in their head. We will get married in less than two months and then be living together, and I told him there is no way with me being a nutritionist that I will allow my husband to walk around unhealthy! I want him to be healthy so we can live happily ever after, so slowly I am making changes for him to adjust to prior to our sharing a dwelling so he isn't shocked.
With me also being a national level competitor I don't like to have regular cheats, in fact I rarely do! And that's like an everyday thing for him and I love him for him, but I also don't want the temptation!!! no way!
okay, sorry....I just noticed I went from statement, to babble, to venting! Eeek! Sorry.
Trying to change someone in a marriage to meet ur expectations is not often successful. Keep us posted on ur progress & good luck.

Abner

Awards
I am totally agree with you and It is really appreciable. I also think that walking is most effective way to stay healthy and also fast way to do reduce weight. I always awoke early in the morning and go for a walk for 60 to 80 minutes.