New supplement industry regulation prop. - AnabolicMinds.com

New supplement industry regulation prop.

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  201 lbs.

Post New supplement industry regulation prop.

I just received this information in an email from GNC of all places. Bad news at any rate.

DON'T LET CONGRESS TAKE
    AWAY YOUR SUPPLEMENTS

TO OUR VALUED CUSTOMER

On February 3, 2010, Senators John McCain and Byron Dorgan introduced S. 3002, a bill entitled, The Dietary Supplement Safety Act. The supposed purpose of the bill is to make dietary supplements "safer." This is ironic because dietary supplements are already hundreds of times safer than either prescription or over-the-counter drugs.

The real purpose of this bill is to limit your access to dietary suppl ements. The government would tell you, the consumer, what dietary supplements you could and could not buy. There is little doubt that if this bill becomes law your choices will be drastically reduced, and many of the supplements you take today will become illegal. This misguided bill affects ALL dietary supplements, including vitamins, minerals, herbs, sports and diet products.

But, who is behind this bill? The answer is simple: big time sports leagues, especially Major League Baseball, which in recent years have been plagued by steroid scandals. Fearful that Congress will end their lucrative anti-trust exemption and require real drug testing, they have decided to make the supplement industry their scapegoat. When one of their players tests positive for steroids, they'd like people to think it must have been an adulterated dietary supplement.

Unless you want the government to tell you what supplements you can and cannot take, and unless you want to see your freedom of choice drastically reduced, you need to make your views known to your United States Senators.Tell them to oppose this terrible piece of legislation.

To make your views known, you can go to the Save Our Supplements website (SaveOurSupplements.org) to send a note in opposition to S. 3002 directly to your two Senators or you can use the website to get information to construct your own personal letter. Either way, you need to act immediately. Do not let Congress take away your right to buy and use dietary supplements.

GO TO SAVEOURSUPPLEMENTS(dot)ORG

2. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.

that sucks. i agree that the supplement industry needs to be more regulated, but it needs to be regulated by people that know what they're doing, and that's not the FDA - clueless bastards.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  186 lbs.

I was sent something similar to my email, I have been on the site and wrote to my representative, senator and the president to let them know how I feel. Hopefully if enough emails are sent and letters written they will get the picture.
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by suncloud View Post
    that sucks. i agree that the supplement industry needs to be more regulated, but it needs to be regulated by people that know what they're doing, and that's not the FDA - clueless bastards.
    This....How would we go about forming a national board to regulate supplementation outside of the FDA, and get federal funding for it? Can this be done?

As in is it possible for a group of us to get together, create a system, and present it and petition it to be instated to meed the FDA and federal desires while still keeping supplement companies from being screwed over by members of the FDA who do not know about this "subject" matter?

We often complain about it, and dont want regulation, but maybe its time WE step up and take command instead of hoping our representatives or a senator or the president will. We all know politicians are arsebackwards idiots, and we are going to rely on them?

If you want something done right, do it yourself. I am very interested now in potentially getting people together on something like this. Its both time to take responsibility, AND time to take control of things.
  5. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.

shy of getting a senator to propose it, there's no way it would happen.
  6. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

Bump this.
  7. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by suncloud View Post
    shy of getting a senator to propose it, there's no way it would happen.
    Lets start campaigning...I mean seriously, what have we to lose? Lets get together the more reasonable and brighter of all the BBing sites and Supplementation companies and the likes as well as personal trainers together, and start campaigning in each state. I am serious about this, complaining about it wont do jack Shiz. Seriously maybe 30 people in each state drawing attention to it, bombarding the senators, etc, constatnly, getting support from stores, companies, gyms, people....

We can do this...
  8. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  201 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero V View Post
    Lets start campaigning...I mean seriously, what have we to lose? Lets get together the more reasonable and brighter of all the BBing sites and Supplementation companies and the likes as well as personal trainers together, and start campaigning in each state. I am serious about this, complaining about it wont do jack Shiz. Seriously maybe 30 people in each state drawing attention to it, bombarding the senators, etc, constatnly, getting support from stores, companies, gyms, people....

We can do this...
    Hell. Mofoin. Yes. I said this back in November of last year when all that crap happened around the O competition. I am dead nuts serious as well. Lets get organized guys. If enough of us intelligently counter argue the current system as it functions, we can and will make a difference.
  9. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  232 lbs.

I don't know if anyone picked up the most recent issue of consumer reports but the September 2010 issue's cover states in bold letters "The 12 Most Dangerous Supplements." It goes on to rip into the supplement industry. Some may have noticed this is a trend with consumer reports as they have had several issues in the past year degrading the supplement industry ("The Vitamin Scam" and the protein shake tests). Some highlights of the article include a bold section where they state 170+ supplements have been found to have hidden drugs or designer steroids since 2008. Also, on their 12 most dangerous supplements list is yohimbe citing that is can cause "high blood pressure, rapid heart rate, severe low blood pressure, heart problems, and death." In another bold section it states "Hazardous ingredients have been known to turn up in dietary SUPPLEMENTS MARKETED FOR WEIGHT LOSS, BODyBUILDING, AND SEXUAL ENHANCEMENT. In light of the potentially serious health risks -- including dangerous changes in blood pressure, serious liver injury, kidney failure, heart attack, and stroke -- we think consumers should be EXTREMELy CAUTIOUS WITH THOSE CATEGORIES OF PRODUCTS OR AVOID THEM ALTOGETHER." I am sure some of this they feel is their civic responsibility to protect the consumer. However, in addition they are certainly molding minds who will undoubtedly support McCain's bill. I imagine a few have already written there congressman or woman.
  10. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

Thank you consumer reports.
  11. New Member

I think they are just influenced by the big food companies and big pharmaceutical companies.
  12. New Member

Another form of government knowing whats best for us. Such crap.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Supplement Industry Job Opportunity!
    By Max32 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-04-2008, 06:02 PM
  2. Supplement Industry "Watch Dog"
    By ShakesAllDay in forum General Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-31-2008, 09:06 PM
  3. The supplement industry and this forum have changed
    By dynomite in forum Supplements
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-22-2007, 08:12 AM
  4. Is the supplement industry bad again?
    By Zero Tolerance in forum Supplements
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-14-2005, 11:10 AM
  5. Codex and Supplement Industry
    By willd in forum Supplements
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-04-2005, 11:44 PM