Peanut Butter Causes Cancer?

MAxximal

MAxximal

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Peanut Butter Causes Cancer?
November 4th, 2007 by Paul Johnson

Bodybuilders are suggested to eat a high amount of good fats in their diet for hormonal and joint health, and for a good source of calories. Peanut butter is a very common source of fat for most bodybuilders in their diet. Most eat natural peanut butter because it doesn’t contain hydrogenated fats. Peanut butter is considered a good source of fat because it is low in saturated fat and high in monosaturated. The truth is, peanut butter is really not that healthy long term.

Why peanut butter can cause cancer:

Unfortunately a mold commonly winds up growing on peanut butter. This fungus Aspergillus flavus releases a cancer causing metabolic product (mycotoxin) called aflatoxin B1, which is a officially recognized carcinogen (cancer causing compound). Workers around peanuts even have to wear protection because of the health hazard. It is common knowledge that farmers and animals around peanuts have increased liver cancer.

How much of this fungus and to what degree it converts to the mcycotoxin aflatoxin seems to depend on where the peanuts are grown and how they are stored and for how long. Peanuts have less of this problem if they are farmed in dry climates, as the fungus seems to thrive in humidity. Other foods have this fungus growing on it such as walnuts and grains, but peanut butter and corn seem to be the worst afflicted foods. The risk of peanut butter giving liver cancer is a bit exaggerated by some. But most bodybuilders consume it everday, often in high amounts, which could be a problem.

Alternatives to peanut butter:

Almond butter is the best food alternative for peanut butter. Flaxseed oil would even be better, but it’s not a substitute in food as a butter. Almond butter actually has higher omega 3’s than peanut butter anyways and isn’t contaminated with this fungus. Almond butter is not as tasty as peanut butter, but at least you know you won’t be posioning your body. If you decide to use peanut butter, see if you can get peanuts grown in dry areas, to help reduce or eliminate fungus contamination.

Bodybuilding Blog

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
There are numerous mycotoxins that can cause cancers and other debilitating diseases. One of the most toxic is Stachybotrus and it likes to grow on the paper backing of drywall/sheetrock. Even very brief exposure to these spores used to give me a bloody nose.

I did mold remediations on homes for a very short time.

MAxximal

MAxximal

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
There are numerous mycotoxins that can cause cancers and other debilitating diseases. One of the most toxic is Stachybotrus and it likes to grow on the paper backing of drywall/sheetrock. Even very brief exposure to these spores used to give me a bloody nose.

I did mold remediations on homes for a very short time.
damn man!

bludevil

bludevil

Awards
  • Established
Very interesting since I've been consuming 2 servings of natty pb every day for at least 8 years.

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I believe the cancers were related to abnormal growths around the spincter, however this was only when the patients were using peanut butter as a suppository

meathed

meathed

Awards
I believe the cancers were related to abnormal growths around the spincter, however this was only when the patients were using peanut butter as a suppository
I've been plugging PB for years. The extra crunchy variety. It speeds up absorption time considerably. Sometimes ya just don't feel like eating. You know what I mean?

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I've been plugging PB for years. The extra crunchy variety. It speeds up absorption time considerably. Sometimes ya just don't feel like eating. You know what I mean?
I guess the extra crunchy variety prevents it from dribbling out?

Ingenius! :cheers:

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I guess the extra crunchy variety prevents it from dribbling out?

Ingenius!
Inevitably, this thread will have some mention of goat-f#cking.

Oh wait, I just... ah, d@mmit!

:lol:

jherman08

jherman08

Awards
  • Established
Damn, and i was nervous about starting phs...
Im cutting all peanut butter, and starting an hdrol/epi/sdrol stack :thumbsup::joke:

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
If PB causes cancer, I'm a dead man.

PaloAltoMike

PaloAltoMike

I'm your PAL!
Awards
Very interesting article. Kinda makes you think what other foods are potential assassin foods.

MAxximal

MAxximal

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Damn, and i was nervous about starting phs...
Im cutting all peanut butter, and starting an hdrol/epi/sdrol stack :thumbsup::joke:
and why are you nervous to sign with the Devil...?

:cheers:

dpfisher

Wait wait wait... there's such a thing as almond butter? That sounds delicious, where do I get it?

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Wait wait wait... there's such a thing as almond butter? That sounds delicious, where do I get it?
Almonds and a food processor, all you need. They also sell it in grocery stores. Sometimes in the organic section. Who's to say there isn't something growing on almonds that we don't know about?

When they say that the mold grows on the peanuts, how do they know that it will grow on peanut butter after it's been cleaned and processed?

I know people who have eaten tuna every day for years and don't have mercury poisoning, wear deodorant everyday and don't have alzheimer's, and eat peanut butter religiously and don't have cancer.

Just because they can do these things does not mean they will. I'm not calling this article a lie, although he doesn't include any references, I'm just saying that if this kind of data was significant then peanut butter would probably have a warning label on it.

Choose your battles. :)
/end soapbox.

TexasTitan

TexasTitan

Awards
  • Established
Costco has almond butter too. Ill stick with PB, almond butter isnt all its cracked up to be.

votum

votum

Awards
  • Established
So what doesn't cause cancer? I think the cancer bandwagon is just an easy way for scientists to get grant-money. America has such a high rate of cancer caused by legitimate things (smoking, being fat) that people listen when a study comes out talking about new cancer causing things. Seriously google "<insert anything> cause cancer?" and I bet you will find something. I think this is probably a bs study. On the other hand, if its true, it explains why everyone gets cancer, because who doesn't eat PB.

votum

votum

Awards
  • Established
Here's the proof to my above statement.

"Tomatoes cause cancer?"
http://www.scientificpsychic.com/blogentries/can-tomatoes-cause-prostate-cancer.html
Yeah, website is crap but they actually quoted a real study for this article

"chicken cause cancer?"
http://healthmad.com/nutrition/does-chicken-cause-cancer/
Yeah, for real. This one lists other things, like milk, grapefruit, sugar, etc.

I could really do this all day, I dare someone to find me some food that has a study saying it DOESNT cause cancer. Biblical Manna biscuits probably.

After some reading, its the way protein breaks down at high heat, it creates carcinogens, some people say fast food meat is better, because the stoves are regulated and vented andfor the most part better than yours. Honestly though, who cares, were all dying all the time anyway right