How Much Weight Was USC Running Back Stafon Johnson Lifting?

prodigy88

prodigy88

Awards
In case you haven't hear about USC running back Stafon Johnson he is out for the season for losing control on bench and getting his throat smashed.

How much weight do you think he was throwing around? Anyone ever had this happen to them?

:cussing:

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
A thumbless grip on bench is a death wish.

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
A thumbless grip on bench is a death wish.
for people that are unsafe...thumbless or false grip keep the weight in line with the forearm for more comfortable pressing and puts almost no torque on the wrist. also d emphasizes the mental processes of grip so you are more focused on pressing.

for powerlifters i'll sing a different tune! no way would i crawl under all that weight without holding on to it!

EDIT: also who the hell presses over their throats unless they are unracking/reracking. being a football player who is obviously experienced in traing should be more careful! but i so understand **** happens!

allenzo

Awards
So you guys saying thumb less grip is not good. I use this technique all the way up to my heavy set of 4-5 x 315lbs. I never had an issue. I do it because of the stated uses with the wrist. Guess I better start doing more dumbbell lifts.

johnyq

johnyq

Awards
  • Established
So you guys saying thumb less grip is not good. I use this technique all the way up to my heavy set of 4-5 x 315lbs. I never had an issue. I do it because of the stated uses with the wrist. Guess I better start doing more dumbbell lifts.
Not a good idea. Search youtube for bench press accidents, and you might rethink your grip.

matteoja

Awards
This can happen even without a false grip. If the bar drifts up toward your head, the weight transfers from your chest to your front delts and you can lose it pretty quick. About 6 years ago, I was bench pressing in a meet (wearing a bench shirt unfortunately), and I had 430 lbs. drift up toward my head. The side spotters were daydreaming, and the head spotter had cleared the area so that the judges could see.

Lucky for me, I was "in the flow" and time slowed down for me. I was able to guide the bar to rest on my chin, which quickly dislocated. The spotters jumped in in time to save my life, but it wasn't pretty

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
I'm just glad it didn't kill him. Easily could have though, especially on the throat.

JW32Hoops

JW32Hoops

Banned
Awards
  • Established
who the hell presses over their throats unless they are unracking/reracking.
EXACTLY! He was being spotted by the "Assistant Strength & Conditioning Coach"...I'm sorry guy, but step into my office..............because you're f#cking fired. Racking/Unracking is the probably the most important time to have your hands ready as a spotter, let along a "professional" spotter. Sloppy play brutha, time to pick a new line of work.