1. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.

another fda raid

FDA muscles up on Bodybuilding.com, Web site suspected of selling steroids

By Teri Thompson and Nathaniel Vinton
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER
    Updated Friday, September 25th 2009, 4:00 AM

The federal government's crackdown on the nutritional supplement industry continued Thursday as FDA agents executed a search warrant on one of the country's most popular bodybuilding Web sites, Bodybuilding.com, which the government accuses of marketing and distributing illegal anabolic steroids.

The government's action appears to be part of a nationwide investigation into supplement companies by federal agents including Jeff Novitzky, the FDA criminal investigator who was primarily responsible for uncovering BALCO doping ring, blowing the doors open on widespread steroid abuse in sports.

In an application for a search warrant, unsealed Thursday in U.S. District Court in Idaho, investigators sought access to the headquarters and warehouses of Bodybuilding.com, which claims to have shipped more than six million orders. The site's parent company, Liberty Media, is a large media conglomerate with a business interest in a variety of corporations including the DirectTV, QVC and the Atlanta Braves.

The affidavit claims that the Web site has been illegally selling five anabolic steroids with the names “Madol,” “Tren,” “Superdrol,” “Androstenedione,” and “Turinabol,” despite five “warning letters” from the FDA since 2002 informing the company that it was in violation of the law.

“It's a significant step but it also unfortunately highlights the ineffective regulation of this industry,” said Travis Tygart, president of the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency. “We've got to wonder how many others are out there continuing to sell these and other anabolic steroids.”

Rob Blenkinsop, the FDA special agent who signed the 86-page affidavit, was also involved with the BALCO crackdown and was listed as a government witness in last year's perjury trial against Tammy Thomas. In the document, Blenkinsop claims to have been involved with the execution of four search warrants in the last four months at firms “involved with the illegal distribution of misbranded and unapproved drugs being marketed as dietary supplements.”

In July, FDA agents – led by Novitzky – raided American Cellular Labs, a California-based supplement company, and then issued a public health advisory about tainted supplements. One of the substances that was allegedly being distributed by that company was Madol, an obscure designer steroid allegedly re-discovered by Patrick Arnold, the rogue chemist who helped develop BALCO's designer steroid THG – or, the Clear.
    Telephone calls to Bodybuilding.com were routed to executive assistant Erin Hogue and were not immediately returned. According to the Web site, the site's forums have over 1.3 million members who have made more than 33 million posts.

The supplement industry has become notorious for selling contaminated products in the wake of the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act, a 1994 federal law that deregulated the industry. The government has been able to prosecute some offenders under the Steroid Control Act of 2004, which was amended in 2005 to ease the definition of a designer, or man-made steroid.

Next week, the Senate Judiciary Committee's Subcommittee on Crime and Drugs has scheduled hearings on the barriers preventing the enforcement of steroid control in the bodybuilding industry.

Victor Conte, the founder of BALCO who served a prison sentence for his role in the doping conspiracy, said he was particularly surprised to learn that the affidavit identified the drug “turnibol,” which he said was developed by the East Germans during the Cold War for their notorious state-sponsored doping regimens.

“They called them the 'little blue pills' in the 1960s and 1970s,” Conte said. “Someone has now picked it up and put it in a product in the U.S.”

2. Unbreakable
    Board Moderator

BodyBuilding.com Sells Supplements That Contain Steroids, Court Papers Say

Article Tools Sponsored By
    By MICHAEL S. SCHMIDT
    Published: September 25, 2009

A nutrition company owned by the same company that owns the Atlanta Braves is selling steroids over the Internet, according to allegations in court papers unsealed Thursday.

The nutrition company, BodyBuilding.com, is selling dietary supplements that contain steroids and designer steroids, including a substance found in the raid on the Bay Area Laboratory Co-operative in 2003, the court papers said.

Federal authorities unsealed a search warrant on Thursday after agents raided the headquarters and a warehouse of BodyBuliding.com in the Boise, Idaho, area. In 2008, Liberty Media purchased a controlling stake in BodyBuilding.com for over $100 million. Liberty Media bought the Braves from Time Warner in 2007. Among the other businesses in which Liberty Media has interests are QVC, Ticketmaster and DirectTV.

The raid was part of an ongoing effort by the Food and Drug Administration to target companies that are selling steroids as dietary supplements. Unlike drug makers, which must demonstrate that a drug is safe and effective before the agency approves it for sale to the public, dietary supplements are a largely self-regulating industry.

According to the documents, 26 of 31 products purchased by the Food and Drug Administration as part of the investigation tested positive for at least one steroid. Among the steroids found in the products were Madol, Tren, Superdrol, androstenedione, and Turinabol.

Federal agents uncovered Madol in 2003 when they searched a storage facility tied to Balco. In 1998, Mark McGwire said he used androstenedione when he broke the single season home run record. The federal government classified androstenedione as a controlled substance in 2005.

In July, the F.D.A. warned consumers not to use body-building products that are sold as nutritional supplements because they might contain steroids or steroidlike substances. The warning came in response to increased reports of medical problems in men — specifically acute liver injury and kidney failure — who had used supplements. Several days before the warning, federal agents in San Francisco executed search warrants at locations tied to American Cellular Labs that were said to be selling dietary supplements — including Mass Xtreme and Tren Xtreme — that contained steroids.

The F.D.A.’s investigations of supplements have caught the attention of members of Congress. Senator Arlen Specter, Democrat of Pennsylvania, has called a hearing on Tuesday before the Senate Judiciary Subcommittee on Crime and Drugs titled “Body Building Products and Hidden Steroids: Enforcement Barriers.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/25/sp...ping.html?_r=1
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.

wonderful times we are heading into
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  184 lbs.

good thing we were warned and many of us stocked up.

all that this will lead to is underground selling of ph/ds just like inj steroids
  5. dpfisher

I didn't even know real tren COULD be taken orally.
  6. Banned
    Stats
    5'11"  247 lbs.

Man communism has moved to the U.S
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by MC Gun View Post
    Man communism has moved to the U.S
    cosing that
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  212 lbs.

Government is out of control
  9. Banned
    Stats
    5'11"  247 lbs.

there is a lot more to this story check out this news link
    http://www.faniq.com/article/Company...online-1812370
  10. CDB

Quote Originally Posted by dpfisher View Post
    I didn't even know real tren COULD be taken orally.
    Sure, it can. Unfortunately if it's methylated it might also kill you. The reference to Tren is likely a reference to a product that I think was first sold under the name Methyl TRN or M TRN, to go along with another product called MST or something or other if I remember right. It's not actually trenbelone. Real methyl tren would likely rip your liver a new ******* in a day or so.
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.

Sounds like the "Ban of '09" is coming...
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

Better, safer, stuff on the horizon. Frankly, I'm a little tired of the methyl dealers pumping teenagers full of BS. Many of them have chosen to skirt the laws and tarnish the industry as a whole. So be it.
  13. CDB

Quote Originally Posted by bioman View Post
    Better, safer, stuff on the horizon.
    Can you elaborate? I haven't been in the loop as of late since every exciting new product! started being either some new methylated vida reject or the new useless herbal of the year. I did a search on the web and here and can't seem to find any solid info and usually run into USP Labs postings about truly amazing herbal powders which can never be named and will never be released for reasons that are never really made clear. I've got half a mind to start a web site to get updates on this kind of stuff, strip away the marketing BS and just present a simple Coming Soon for people to refer to.
  14. NutraPlanet Fanatic
    Board Sponsor

Better, safer, stuff on the horizon. Frankly, I'm a little tired of the methyl dealers pumping teenagers full of BS. Many of them have chosen to skirt the laws and tarnish the industry as a whole. So be it.
    Define "better".
    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    BPS - Where Body meets Performance
    Flawless Skin Couture - We give you the tools to make you Flawless
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

lol, well IMO, safer is better but I'm privy to some promising new herbal stuff. Will it compare to designers? Probably not but if they're even close then I'll be happy because I'm not trying to put on 50 more pounds etc. But on a costs to benefit ratio, I think they'll be better overall.

I am beta testing an HGH booster that is, without a doubt, pretty phenomenal.
  16. CDB

lol, well IMO, safer is better but I'm privy to some promising new herbal stuff. Will it compare to designers? Probably not but if they're even close then I'll be happy because I'm not trying to put on 50 more pounds etc. But on a costs to benefit ratio, I think they'll be better overall.
    I think overall if you factor in the sides and potential risks of orals, a reliable herbal wouldn't have to do much, just give a reliable and provable edge in gains. Anything that 'works' will have sides, I'm just interested in the sides being minimal and not the 'you might die' type.

One thing that escapes me is why weren't any of the newer orals put out in 'pain free oral' delivery systems, or put bluntly why no injectables were made. I know several 'research' companies did that before the first ban, and powders were available too on many of the actives with esters to home brew. That market seems to have just disappeared. Hell, even if it was just a base powder to do a transdermal with, I'd have been sorely tempted to try some of the newer ones.
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

I'm guessing the profit margin on powders is not so hot and then you factor in the PR image of a company that sells "steroid powders".

The bans make for some good products, getting back to my original point. SD, M1T et al were banned then we got epithios and TO, which are much safer and just as good IMO. The bans force creativity and eventually, we'll get the perfect product that will allow me to eat Mallomars and not workout.

Mmmm, MalloDrol here we come!!! Are ya with me??! Huh?
  18. CDB

I'm guessing the profit margin on powders is not so hot and then you factor in the PR image of a company that sells "steroid powders".

The bans make for some good products, getting back to my original point. SD, M1T et al were banned then we got epithios and TO, which are much safer and just as good IMO. The bans force creativity and eventually, we'll get the perfect product that will allow me to eat Mallomars and not workout.

Mmmm, MalloDrol here we come!!! Are ya with me??! Huh?
    My free market genes are raging against this, but I guess being hunted by the feds does force a certain level of innovativeness in the hunted. But I could care less about mallomars, I need something that can neutralize nachos by the pound. Then, I'll be happy. NachoDrol, or TexMexAdrol. Something like that.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 323
    Last Post: 01-17-2010, 03:20 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-18-2009, 10:29 AM
  3. IDS RAID....here we go again
    By hard iron in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 09-24-2009, 02:48 PM
  4. Raid!
    By motiv8er in forum News and Articles