U.S. soldier captured by Taliban (vid released)

purebred

vid released: U.S. soldier captured by Taliban: 'I'm afraid' - CNN.com

WASHINGTON – The American soldier who went missing June 30 from his base in eastern Afghanistan and was later confirmed to have been captured, appeared on a video posted Saturday to a Web site by the Taliban.

Two U.S. defense officials confirmed to The Associated Press that the man in the video is the captured soldier. The video provide the first glimpse the public has had of the missing soldier.

The soldier is shown in the 28-minute video with his head shaved and the start of a beard. He is sitting and dressed in a nondescript, gray outfit. Early in the video one of his captors holds the soldier's dog tag up to the camera. His name and ID number are clearly visible. He is shown eating at one point and sitting cross-legged.

The soldier, whose identity has not yet been released by the Pentagon pending notification of members of Congress and the soldier's family, says his name, age and hometown on the video, which was released Saturday on a Web site pointed out by the Taliban.

The soldier said the date is July 14. He says he was captured when he lagged behind on a patrol.

He is interviewed in English by his captors, and he is asked his views on the war, which he calls extremely hard, his desire to learn more about Islam and the morale of American soldiers, which he said was low.

Asked how he was doing, the soldier said on the video:

"Well I'm scared, scared I won't be able to go home. It is very unnerving to be a prisoner."

He begins to answer questions in a matter-of-fact and sober voice, occasionally facing the camera, looking down and sometimes looking to the questioner on his left.

He later chokes up when discussing his family and his hope to marry his girlfriend.

"I have my girlfriend, who is hoping to marry," he said. "I have a very, very good family that I love back home in America. And I miss them every day when I'm gone. I miss them and I'm afraid that I might not ever see them again and that I'll never be able to tell them that I love them again and I'll never be able to hug them."

He is also prompted his interrogators to give a message to the American people.

"To my fellow Americans who have loved ones over here, who know what it's like to miss them, you have the power to make our government bring them home," he said. "Please, please bring us home so that we can be back where we belong and not over here, wasting our time and our lives and our precious life that we could be using back in our own country. Please bring us home. It is America and American people who have that power."

The video is not a continuous recording — it appears to stop and start during the questioning.

It is unclear from the video whether the July 14 date is authentic. The soldier says that he heard that a Chinook helicopter carrying 37 NATO troops had been shot down over Helmand. A helicopter was shot down in southern Afghanistan on July 14, but it was carrying civilians on a reported humanitarian mission for NATO forces. All six Ukrainian passengers died in the crash, and a child on the ground was killed.

On July 2, the U.S. military said an American soldier had disappeared after walking off his base in eastern Afghanistan with three Afghan counterparts and was believed to have been taken prisoner. A U.S. defense official said the soldier was noticed missing during a routine check of the unit on June 30 and was first listed as "duty status whereabouts unknown."

Details of such incidents are routinely held very tightly by the military as it works to retrieve a missing or captured soldier without giving away any information to captors.

But Afghan Police Gen. Nabi Mullakheil said the soldier went missing in eastern Paktika province near the border with Pakistan from an American base. The region is known to be Taliban-infested.

The most important insurgent group operating in that area is known as Haqqani network and is led by warlord Siraj Haqqani, whom the U.S. has accused of masterminding beheadings and suicide bombings including the July 2008 attack on the Indian Embassy in Kabul that killed some 60 people. The Haqqani group also was linked to an assassination attempt on Afghan president Hamid Karzai early last year.

On Saturday, a U.S. military official in Kabul, Col. Greg Julian, said the U.S. was "still doing everything we can to return him safely."

Julian said U.S. troops had distributed two flyers in the area where the soldier disappeared. One of them asked for information on the missing soldier and offered a $25,000 reward for his return. The other said "please return our soldier safely" or "we will hunt you," according to Julian.

julius kelp

julius kelp

Awards
  • Established
it's a shame in this day & age we can't track our guys with gps say somehow. i thought they were putting it in everybody's cell phones now?

roids1

roids1

Banned
Awards
  • Established
We should just pull our forces out altogether and nuke that country from one end to the other and start it over from scratch. Seriously, would the world really be that much worse off without afghanistan?

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Quite an unfortunate and regrettable situation.

purebred

We should just pull our forces out altogether and nuke that country from one end to the other and start it over from scratch. Seriously, would the world really be that much worse off without afghanistan?
that wouldn't be 'diplomatic'. :rolleyes: pfft look where our 'diplomacy' has gotten us :usa2:

roids1

roids1

Banned
Awards
  • Established
This isn't good. The Taliban are known for torture. And, not the NY Times' version of it.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
He's ****ed. poor guy. He's still a moron for walking off base, drunk, but I hope he's rescued, or someone drops a JDAM on his head.

roids1

roids1

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'm sure they'll treat him well and read him his miranda rights since we'll be doing the same with their guys soon.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
The only way to ever do away with the Taliban is to wipe out their entire nation, and any leftovers in other countries. Its either that or pull our troops back and stop this nonsense.

It is sad, you know he wont see his family again. And his family knows this too.

julius kelp

julius kelp

Awards
  • Established
they know how "diplomatic" (wimpy & pandering)we've become, they know they can push us around all they want. we have plenty of groups internally that will keep both of our hands tied behind our back. i wonder if this country will ever make a come back.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Ironically one of my mums friends from schools Son is one of the guys going in to save this idiot.:paranoid: I cant tell you his job/though.

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
what ever happened to him?

FreezeAce

Awards
A most unfortunate event. I'd love to hear further details as to his capture. I mean to me it sounds like idiocy. How was it that he was off on his own, and not to mention a far enough distance from anyone else so that he could be discreetly captured.

There are tactics for patrolling that when adhered to things like this don't happen. I just shake my head, needless things like this don't need to happen if people would just follow SOP.

Time to pull the football out and dust off the little red button.

-Freeze

votum

votum

Awards
  • Established
I volunteered to come to Iraq for this mission, personnel recovery, which is tracking down these guys and saving them.

I honestly think this kid "joined" the Taliban, as I have seen more pointing to that than anything else. The length of captivity is unusually long as well...

I dunno...its very much sad if he is actually a prisoner though..

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
He is probably gonna get beheaded, like every other captured american soldier.... This is sad, I would rather resist when I had the chance and be shot, than have my head slowly cut off by a dull, dirty, rusty blade...

Bile12345

Awards
You know this dude was a dumbass ****bag for leaving the wire with Hajj just to get alcohol. He got what he deserved for being that retarded. And now guys like me have to find his dumbass. But yeah I kinda think dude might have gave up info to Hajj to stay alive and maybe even joined the Taliban. Its possible. Ive seen some weird stuff here.

Ill tell you all this much. At least where Im at in Afganistan. You leave the wire expect either an IED on the road or a far ambush from Hajj. We leave the wire with all weapons on Red status.

AND WE DONT LEAVE THE WIRE UNLESS THERE IS AT LEAST 20 ANSF PAX TOTAL. Leaving by yourself is just retarded and your just asking the local elders to sell you to the Taliban. You have to remember there is alot of poverty in this country and alot of times the Taliban will pay the locals to place IEDs and fire pop shots at us.

Eberly

Banned
Awards
terrorist are destroy our modern society. Our USA government take few action against them .