Homosexual behaviour widespread in animals according to new study

Page 1 of 15 123 ... Last
  1. Homosexual behaviour widespread in animals according to new study


    Homosexual behaviour widespread in animals according to new study - Telegraph

    The pairing of same sex couples had previously been observed in more than 1,000 species including penguins, dolphins and primates.

    However, in the latest study the authors claim the phenomenon is not only widespread but part of a necessary biological adaptation for the survival of the species.
    Based on some previous discussions around the board, I thought that some of you might find this interesting


  2. Obviously these animals have not heard of jesus, and are all going to hell.
    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Flawless Skin Couture - We give you the tools to make you Flawless
    •   
       


  3. However, in the latest study the authors claim the phenomenon is not only widespread but part of a necessary biological adaptation for the survival of the species.
    I saw some crazy ******* on a thread just recently, spreading some God-hating nonsense like this: Mullethole, or something.

  4. Well, it just goes to show it is not just humans, regardless of what many here say

  5. Quote Originally Posted by dsade View Post
    Obviously these animals have not heard of jesus, and are all going to hell.
    there will be a line of penguins waiting for a long, hot eternity
    •   
       


  6. I wonder if this behaviour "developed" in response to a wide discrepancy in availability of mates. Sexual energy has to be dissipated somewhere, somehow.

    I'd be interested in a stud of the rates of homosexuality in China as well.

    Not to place the phenomena solely on behavioural adaptation, but perhaps actual brain changes in response to an external stressor.
    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Flawless Skin Couture - We give you the tools to make you Flawless

  7. Definitely. Homosexual, asexual, and transgenderal behavior is widespread as an adaptive mechanism because sexual behavior as a whole confers certain biological benefits to its participants, beyond just the obvious procreation. That is precisely where the argument from the other side tends to fall apart as well - that is, assuming procreation is the sole purpose of sexual behavior. Transgenderal homosexuality, for example, can promote more cohesive pack dynamics and therefore confer an obvious survival benefit to the animal partaking in it; or, as CDB mentioned, it can also be an adaptive mechanism to cope with food scarcity and/or the necessity for sexual behavior sans members of the "appropriate" gender. Its ubiquity in animals of all manners of order should lead one to believe that, logically, some biological benefit is derived from its practice.

  8. Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    Definitely. Homosexual, asexual, and transgenderal behavior is widespread as an adaptive mechanism because sexual behavior as a whole confers certain biological benefits to its participants, beyond just the obvious procreation. That is precisely where the argument from the other side tends to fall apart as well - that is, assuming procreation is the sole purpose of sexual behavior. Transgenderal homosexuality, for example, can promote more cohesive pack dynamics and therefore confer an obvious survival benefit to the animal partaking in it; or, as CDB mentioned, it can also be an adaptive mechanism to cope with food scarcity and/or the necessity for sexual behavior sans members of the "appropriate" gender. Its ubiquity in animals of all manners of order should lead one to believe that, logically, some biological benefit is derived from its practice.
    Ok.
    So where is the part where Big Gay AL takes all the animals on a big gay boat ride????

    Props to South Park!!

    JP

  9. I have to admit I am somewhat disappointed. I had hoped that this thread would pull more people in who have been so fervent in their feelings about how homosexuality is wrong.

  10. Quote Originally Posted by AE14 View Post
    I have to admit I am somewhat disappointed. I had hoped that this thread would pull more people in who have been so fervent in their feelings about how homosexuality is wrong.
    Maybe Wi-Fi reception is slow in the closet.
    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Flawless Skin Couture - We give you the tools to make you Flawless

  11. Quote Originally Posted by dsade View Post
    Maybe Wi-Fi reception is slow in the closet.
    are you trying to insinuate that many of our most ardent homophobes are truly in the closet?

  12. Quote Originally Posted by AE14 View Post
    I have to admit I am somewhat disappointed. I had hoped that this thread would pull more people in who have been so fervent in their feelings about how homosexuality is wrong.
    Hard data is usually less enticing than opinion pieces, in my experience.

  13. Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    Hard data is usually less enticing than opinion pieces, in my experience.
    You said 'hard' in a homosexual thread.

    You are teh ghey.
    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Flawless Skin Couture - We give you the tools to make you Flawless

  14. Quote Originally Posted by dsade View Post
    You said 'hard' in a homosexual thread.

    You are teh ghey.
    I prefer, teh gheyz11!, thank you.

  15. wait, are you saying the bible isnt "hard" data?

  16. Chimps will use homosexuality as a form of dominance. Lots of animals do, thank god for Discovery Channel providing me with such amazing information... (oh and animal planet)

  17. Check out the written work of Desmond Morris (The Naked Ape or the Human Zoo) he does a good job of explaining some interesting theories on animal homosexuality, especially on the homosexual prevalence when animals are placed in zoo's. It's an interesting read, albeit a little outdated, nonetheless still contains good info...

  18. Quote Originally Posted by WannabeBatman View Post
    Check out the written work of Desmond Morris (The Naked Ape or the Human Zoo) he does a good job of explaining some interesting theories on animal homosexuality, especially on the homosexual prevalence when animals are placed in zoo's. It's an interesting read, albeit a little outdated, nonetheless still contains good info...
    The Naked Ape was fantastic reading. I'm currently in the middle of Jared Diamond's The Third Chimpanzee which is just beginning to touch on similarities and differences in sexual behaviours amongst the various apes.

    Great stuff as well.

  19. I still need to read The Half-Blood Prince before the new movie comes out...

    That's in interesting read right there. Maybe the folk from the other thread are still at work/in the gym?
    "I am legally blind and if I can Squat,deadlift and over all get myself to the gym then anyone can get their a$$ in gear and get strong!!" - malleus25
    WHITE WHALE!

  20. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8k5d1jVuQ0"]YouTube - Comedian Ricky Gervais - (Gay) Animals [Requested][/ame]


  21. Quote Originally Posted by SilentBob187 View Post
    I still need to read The Half-Blood Prince before the new movie comes out...

    That's in interesting read right there. Maybe the folk from the other thread are still at work/in the gym?
    I cant see any of them coming here, as it will not help their position in the least

  22. Quote Originally Posted by AE14 View Post
    Well, it just goes to show it is not just humans, regardless of what many here say
    Most breeds of animals have instances where they kill and often eat their newborns, does that mean its a good idea for humans too?

  23. Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    Most breeds of animals have instances where they kill and often eat their newborns, does that mean its a good idea for humans too?
    I think the term often used is "unnatural". It isn't.
    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Flawless Skin Couture - We give you the tools to make you Flawless

  24. Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    Most breeds of animals have instances where they kill and often eat their newborns, does that mean its a good idea for humans too?
    Most? Not really. However, it seems you miss the point. As dsade said, the term thrown around here is unnatural, and obviously that is not true.

  25. Ah well i'm not one of the religious loonies, but I can still find homosexuality to be distasteful and disgusting so long as I KNOW a person is homosexual. prancing around in a pink satin shirt and waving a hand around is disgusting to me. A gay pride parade with men wearing chaps with no underwear and a feather duster jammed in their ass is disgusting. if I don't know what a person does in their bedroom, I also don't care, just as all that the rest of the world can say about me in the bedroom is that i've had sex 3x as is displayed by 3 children.

  26. Quote Originally Posted by AE14 View Post
    Most? Not really. However, it seems you miss the point. As dsade said, the term thrown around here is unnatural, and obviously that is not true.
    And my point is it being "natural" just like the eating of their young doesn't make it a good thing, or a behavior humans should emulate

  27. This is why we should eat our own children. I'm even throwing in economics, history, and eating babies.

    http://art-bin.com/art/omodest.html - Thank you Mr. Swift

  28. Quote Originally Posted by dsade View Post
    I think the term often used is "unnatural". It isn't.
    Inserting your penis into another mans colon is perfectly natural. Its designed for it, no?

  29. Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    Ah well i'm not one of the religious loonies, but I can still find homosexuality to be distasteful and disgusting so long as I KNOW a person is homosexual. prancing around in a pink satin shirt and waving a hand around is disgusting to me. A gay pride parade with men wearing chaps with no underwear and a feather duster jammed in their ass is disgusting. if I don't know what a person does in their bedroom, I also don't care, just as all that the rest of the world can say about me in the bedroom is that i've had sex 3x as is displayed by 3 children.
    That is a gross generalization of homosexuality. It's akin to claiming that Venice Beach bodybuilders walking around in tank-tops with juice-acne are a proper generalization of the heterosexual male.

  30. Quote Originally Posted by TexasTitan View Post
    Inserting your penis into another mans colon is perfectly natural. Its designed for it, no?
    All due respect, but pretty sure male / female it wasn't designed for such activities.
    Last edited by D3vildog; 06-17-2009 at 10:54 PM. Reason: add sure
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Widespread Ghostwriting of Drug Trials
    By lutherblsstt in forum Supplements
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-04-2009, 04:03 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-17-2007, 03:55 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-24-2007, 11:31 AM
  4. Animals protein?Anyone tried and..what did ya think?
    By Breezed_one in forum Supplements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-26-2003, 11:31 AM
Log in
Log in