Homosexual behaviour widespread in animals according to new study

Page 1 of 11 1236 ... Last
  1. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Answers

Homosexual behaviour widespread in animals according to new study

Homosexual behaviour widespread in animals according to new study - Telegraph

The pairing of same sex couples had previously been observed in more than 1,000 species including penguins, dolphins and primates.

However, in the latest study the authors claim the phenomenon is not only widespread but part of a necessary biological adaptation for the survival of the species.
    Based on some previous discussions around the board, I thought that some of you might find this interesting
    Controlled Labs Head Board Rep
    adam @ ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility

2. NutraPlanet Fanatic
    Board Sponsor
    Answers

Obviously these animals have not heard of jesus, and are all going to hell.
    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    BPS - Where Body meets Performance
    Flawless Skin Couture - We give you the tools to make you Flawless
  3. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Answers

However, in the latest study the authors claim the phenomenon is not only widespread but part of a necessary biological adaptation for the survival of the species.
    I saw some crazy ******* on a thread just recently, spreading some God-hating nonsense like this: Mullethole, or something.
    •   

4. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Answers

Well, it just goes to show it is not just humans, regardless of what many here say
  5. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by dsade View Post
    there will be a line of penguins waiting for a long, hot eternity
  6. NutraPlanet Fanatic
    Board Sponsor
    Answers

I wonder if this behaviour "developed" in response to a wide discrepancy in availability of mates. Sexual energy has to be dissipated somewhere, somehow.

I'd be interested in a stud of the rates of homosexuality in China as well.

Not to place the phenomena solely on behavioural adaptation, but perhaps actual brain changes in response to an external stressor.
  7. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Answers

Definitely. Homosexual, asexual, and transgenderal behavior is widespread as an adaptive mechanism because sexual behavior as a whole confers certain biological benefits to its participants, beyond just the obvious procreation. That is precisely where the argument from the other side tends to fall apart as well - that is, assuming procreation is the sole purpose of sexual behavior. Transgenderal homosexuality, for example, can promote more cohesive pack dynamics and therefore confer an obvious survival benefit to the animal partaking in it; or, as CDB mentioned, it can also be an adaptive mechanism to cope with food scarcity and/or the necessity for sexual behavior sans members of the "appropriate" gender. Its ubiquity in animals of all manners of order should lead one to believe that, logically, some biological benefit is derived from its practice.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'4"  196 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    Definitely. Homosexual, asexual, and transgenderal behavior is widespread as an adaptive mechanism because sexual behavior as a whole confers certain biological benefits to its participants, beyond just the obvious procreation. That is precisely where the argument from the other side tends to fall apart as well - that is, assuming procreation is the sole purpose of sexual behavior. Transgenderal homosexuality, for example, can promote more cohesive pack dynamics and therefore confer an obvious survival benefit to the animal partaking in it; or, as CDB mentioned, it can also be an adaptive mechanism to cope with food scarcity and/or the necessity for sexual behavior sans members of the "appropriate" gender. Its ubiquity in animals of all manners of order should lead one to believe that, logically, some biological benefit is derived from its practice.
    Ok.
    So where is the part where Big Gay AL takes all the animals on a big gay boat ride????

Props to South Park!!

JP
  9. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Answers

I have to admit I am somewhat disappointed. I had hoped that this thread would pull more people in who have been so fervent in their feelings about how homosexuality is wrong.
  10. NutraPlanet Fanatic
    Board Sponsor
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by AE14 View Post
    I have to admit I am somewhat disappointed. I had hoped that this thread would pull more people in who have been so fervent in their feelings about how homosexuality is wrong.
    Maybe Wi-Fi reception is slow in the closet.
  11. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Answers

Maybe Wi-Fi reception is slow in the closet.
    are you trying to insinuate that many of our most ardent homophobes are truly in the closet?
  12. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Answers

Hard data is usually less enticing than opinion pieces, in my experience.
  13. NutraPlanet Fanatic
    Board Sponsor
    Answers

Hard data is usually less enticing than opinion pieces, in my experience.
    You said 'hard' in a homosexual thread.

You are teh ghey.
  14. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Answers

You said 'hard' in a homosexual thread.

You are teh ghey.
    I prefer, teh gheyz11!, thank you.
  15. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Answers

wait, are you saying the bible isnt "hard" data?
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  188 lbs.
    Answers

Chimps will use homosexuality as a form of dominance. Lots of animals do, thank god for Discovery Channel providing me with such amazing information... (oh and animal planet)
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Answers

Check out the written work of Desmond Morris (The Naked Ape or the Human Zoo) he does a good job of explaining some interesting theories on animal homosexuality, especially on the homosexual prevalence when animals are placed in zoo's. It's an interesting read, albeit a little outdated, nonetheless still contains good info...
  18. NutraPlanet Fanatic
    Board Sponsor
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by WannabeBatman View Post
    Check out the written work of Desmond Morris (The Naked Ape or the Human Zoo) he does a good job of explaining some interesting theories on animal homosexuality, especially on the homosexual prevalence when animals are placed in zoo's. It's an interesting read, albeit a little outdated, nonetheless still contains good info...
    The Naked Ape was fantastic reading. I'm currently in the middle of Jared Diamond's The Third Chimpanzee which is just beginning to touch on similarities and differences in sexual behaviours amongst the various apes.

Great stuff as well.
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Answers

I still need to read The Half-Blood Prince before the new movie comes out...

That's in interesting read right there. Maybe the folk from the other thread are still at work/in the gym?
    "I am legally blind and if I can Squat,deadlift and over all get myself to the gym then anyone can get their a$$ in gear and get strong!!" - malleus25
    WHITE WHALE!
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  212 lbs.
    Answers

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8k5d1jVuQ0"]YouTube - Comedian Ricky Gervais - (Gay) Animals [Requested][/ame]

21. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by SilentBob187 View Post
    I still need to read The Half-Blood Prince before the new movie comes out...

That's in interesting read right there. Maybe the folk from the other thread are still at work/in the gym?
    I cant see any of them coming here, as it will not help their position in the least
  22. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Well, it just goes to show it is not just humans, regardless of what many here say
    Most breeds of animals have instances where they kill and often eat their newborns, does that mean its a good idea for humans too?
    This space for rent

Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  23. NutraPlanet Fanatic
    Board Sponsor
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    Most breeds of animals have instances where they kill and often eat their newborns, does that mean its a good idea for humans too?
    I think the term often used is "unnatural". It isn't.
  24. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Answers

Most? Not really. However, it seems you miss the point. As dsade said, the term thrown around here is unnatural, and obviously that is not true.
  25. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Ah well i'm not one of the religious loonies, but I can still find homosexuality to be distasteful and disgusting so long as I KNOW a person is homosexual. prancing around in a pink satin shirt and waving a hand around is disgusting to me. A gay pride parade with men wearing chaps with no underwear and a feather duster jammed in their ass is disgusting. if I don't know what a person does in their bedroom, I also don't care, just as all that the rest of the world can say about me in the bedroom is that i've had sex 3x as is displayed by 3 children.
    This space for rent

Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  26. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Most? Not really. However, it seems you miss the point. As dsade said, the term thrown around here is unnatural, and obviously that is not true.
    And my point is it being "natural" just like the eating of their young doesn't make it a good thing, or a behavior humans should emulate
    This space for rent

27. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  188 lbs.
    Answers

This is why we should eat our own children. I'm even throwing in economics, history, and eating babies.

http://art-bin.com/art/omodest.html - Thank you Mr. Swift
  28. Registered User
    Answers

I think the term often used is "unnatural". It isn't.
    Inserting your penis into another mans colon is perfectly natural. Its designed for it, no?
  29. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Answers

Ah well i'm not one of the religious loonies, but I can still find homosexuality to be distasteful and disgusting so long as I KNOW a person is homosexual. prancing around in a pink satin shirt and waving a hand around is disgusting to me. A gay pride parade with men wearing chaps with no underwear and a feather duster jammed in their ass is disgusting. if I don't know what a person does in their bedroom, I also don't care, just as all that the rest of the world can say about me in the bedroom is that i've had sex 3x as is displayed by 3 children.
    That is a gross generalization of homosexuality. It's akin to claiming that Venice Beach bodybuilders walking around in tank-tops with juice-acne are a proper generalization of the heterosexual male.
  30. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  188 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by TexasTitan View Post
    Inserting your penis into another mans colon is perfectly natural. Its designed for it, no?
    All due respect, but pretty sure male / female it wasn't designed for such activities.
    Last edited by D3vildog; 06-17-2009 at 08:54 PM. Reason: add sure
  31. Unbreakable
    Board Moderator
    Answers

It's a known fact that "All dogs go to heaven".
  32. Unbreakable
    Board Moderator
    Answers

Speaking for myself, I never said it was wrong, but rather preferred that my grade school child not be exposed to material that was inappropriate.
  33. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

That is a gross generalization of homosexuality. It's akin to claiming that Venice Beach bodybuilders walking around in tank-tops with juice-acne are a proper generalization of the heterosexual male.
    And yet, if they aren't exhibiting such signs, I have no way of knowing what sexual acts they perform with who in their bedrooms, and also don't care. If i meet someone and don't immediately know their sexual orientation by them not aggressively broadcasting it, I don't care. I think allowing gay pride parades is ludicrous and disgusting, and inappropriate for public places.
    This space for rent

34. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

And as is often used by groups trying to prove a point, perhaps the original study should be read. In the instance of the albatrosses, there is no same sex sexual activity - the female albatrosses are bonding to raise babies (as there is a surplus of females and shortage of males) which are still conceived the old fashioned way - 1 male 1 female. On locusts, male-male pairings killed off weaker males - I don't see anything about sex here. So if the "study" showed that in the animal kingdom in many cases animals of the same sex worked together for species survival reasons without sexual contact gasp, what a surprise
    This space for rent

35. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by B5150 View Post
    It's a known fact that "All dogs go to heaven".
    And if they run out of room there's always All Dogs Go To Heaven 2.
    "I am legally blind and if I can Squat,deadlift and over all get myself to the gym then anyone can get their a$$ in gear and get strong!!" - malleus25
    WHITE WHALE!
  36. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by SilentBob187 View Post
    And if they run out of room there's always All Dogs Go To Heaven 2.
    it wasn't nearly as good, emilio estevez as the voice of charlie sucked after burt reynolds.
    This space for rent

37. NutraPlanet Fanatic
    Board Sponsor
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by TexasTitan View Post
    designed by whom?
  38. NutraPlanet Fanatic
    Board Sponsor
    Answers

And yet, if they aren't exhibiting such signs, I have no way of knowing what sexual acts they perform with who in their bedrooms, and also don't care. If i meet someone and don't immediately know their sexual orientation by them not aggressively broadcasting it, I don't care. I think allowing gay pride parades is ludicrous and disgusting, and inappropriate for public places.
    Allowing?

wow...let freedom ring.
  39. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

public display vs private display. if the parades weren't as disgusting and sexually oriented as they are, i wouldn't have a problem with it. The hispanic pride or black pride parades don't have guys in assless chaps humping each other on a float. Its not appropriate behavior for public display.
    This space for rent

40. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

not appropriate for a public parade, sorry.
    This space for rent

•   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Widespread Ghostwriting of Drug Trials
    By lutherblsstt in forum Supplements
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-04-2009, 02:03 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-17-2007, 01:55 PM
  3. DEA pulls off widespread busts of steroid labs
    By the Cardinal in forum News and Articles
    Replies: 244
    Last Post: 09-30-2007, 12:21 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-24-2007, 09:31 AM
  5. Animals protein?Anyone tried and..what did ya think?
    By Breezed_one in forum Supplements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-26-2003, 09:31 AM