Tobacco users face tax hike

purebred

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20090322_16_A1_Custom315074

By RANDY KREHBIEL AND CLIFTON ADCOCK World Staff Writers
Published: 3/21/2009 2:15 PM
Last Modified: 3/21/2009 2:15 PM

A nicotine fix is about to get a lot more expensive — if it hasn't already.

Whether it's smoked, chewed or placed between the cheek and gum, federal taxes on tobacco products will increase substantially on April 1. Revenue from the tax increase, estimated at $32.8 billion annually, will pay for an expansion of children's health care coverage.

For tobacco users, smokers who roll their own will take the hardest hit. The tax on that type of tobacco will skyrocket more than 20-fold, from about $1.10 per pound to $24.78 per pound.

Taxes on cigarette papers and tubes are also going up — from 1 cent per 50 for papers to 3 cents, and from 2 cents per 50 for tubes to 6 cents.

Industry sources say the increases will virtually eliminate the financial advantage of rolling cigarettes instead of buying manufactured smokes.

"It's been the least expensive way of smoking, but it won't be any more," said Mark Clymer of Ted's Pipe Shop in Utica Square.

Cherokee Nation spokesman Mike Miller said the tribe was unsure what type of effect the increase in tobacco prices would have on licensed smoke shop owners, but that it would not affect tribal government revenue.

"From the Cherokee Nation's perspective, we don't know for certain what impact it might have on tobacco sales, but any decrease in tax revenue generated by tobacco tax will be more than offset in savings on our health care costs," Miller said.

Some prices increased already:
Name-brand cigarette
smokers are already effectively paying the 62 cent-per-pack hike on their favorite smokes because the nation's largest manufacturers, including RJ Reynolds and Phillip Morris, jumped prices by as much as 75 cents per pack earlier this month.

Greg Mathe, a spokesman for Phillip Morris parent Altria, said the increases are a "direct response to the federal tax."

Mathe said prices went up to help cover the manufacturer's "floor tax" — the tax Phillip Morris will have to pay on every cigarette in its inventory on April 1. Mathe said prices are not expected to go up again when the new taxes take effect.

QuikTrip's Mike Thornbrugh said by jumping the tax increase, the manufacturers prevented customers from stockpiling cheaper cigarettes.

"They've been caught by surprise," Thornbrugh said.

One of those is Kyle Lessing of Tulsa. Huddled out of the wind against a downtown building during a smoke break last week, Lessing said he had heard about the tax only the day before.

"Our politicians need to work on something besides seat belts and tobacco," he said.

Lessing said he will probably find a way to maintain his carton-a-week habit.

"Nobody who smokes wants to smoke," he said.

Motivation to quit: In fact, research suggests three-fourths of smokers would like to quit. Health professionals hope the tax increase provides the extra motivation to push at least some into cessation programs.

Calls to the cessation hot line funded by the state's Tobacco Settlement Trust Fund increased from an average of 300 to 500 a week to 1,100 in the second week of March, according to Executive Director Tracy Strater.

"For every 10 percent increase in price, we see a 4 percent decrease in use," Strater said. "For youth smoking, it's a 7 percent decrease."

Elizabeth Butler, a Tulsa psychologist whose practice includes cessation treatments, says that while financial considerations can be a powerful motivator, they usually aren't enough — alone — to get someone to give up tobacco.

"It's a strong motivator, but it's not the primary motivator," Butler said. "For most people, quality of life and health are the deciding factors."

Health vs. revenue: The price increase is a double-edged sword for tribes and tribal smoke shops, said A.D. Ellis, Muscogee (Creek) Nation principal chief.

On one hand, higher prices could mean fewer people smoking and fewer health problems among tribal citizens, but on the other hand fewer people smoking could mean a hit to tribal revenue, Ellis said.

"I'm sure the prices will have an effect on people quitting," Ellis said. "I'm all for getting healthy by quitting cigarettes, but it will probably drop our revenue quite a lot, probably also the state revenue from taxes. It's a health issue. I've always said that the money we make off tobacco won't take care of the health of the people (affected by tobacco)."

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
what a crock. i know ton of people that will miss a meal, will skimp on breakfast just to afford a pack of cigarettes. nobody wants smokers to quit, or the government looses tons of revenue in taxes, to say nothing of the extra benefits that doctors get from treating smokers - depressed immune system = more frequent visits.

if they wanted people to quit, they'd put the warning labels on cigarettes that canada has. one of these is on each pack of cigarettes for sale.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Butts are $8 per pack here in Massachusetts. Crazy

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
My best friend of 30 years is lying in a hospital bed right his second with lung cancer. Funny thing about having buried so many friends: they've ALL BEEN YOUNGER THAN ME. Sh!t is getting way OLD....

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
what a crock. i know ton of people that will miss a meal, will skimp on breakfast just to afford a pack of cigarettes. nobody wants smokers to quit, or the government looses tons of revenue in taxes, to say nothing of the extra benefits that doctors get from treating smokers - depressed immune system = more frequent visits.

if they wanted people to quit, they'd put the warning labels on cigarettes that canada has. one of these is on each pack of cigarettes for sale.
And drumroll pease.... Canada has a higher smoking rate than the US. So doesn't work too well apparently.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Kind of hard to believe the higher tax rates are signed off on with the hopes of getting people to quit when the taxes received are so high that they can fund so many projects. pretty much apply that to everything that has so much money revolving around it.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Kind of hard to believe the higher tax rates are signed off on with the hopes of getting people to quit when the taxes received are so high that they can fund so many projects. pretty much apply that to everything that has so much money revolving around it.
I dunno, honestly the higher tax rates are used to pay for the higher cost of health care they require as smokers. Should do the same with restaurants :D

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Are the higher rates used solely for their increased health care costs? My experience has been when researching these types of taxes there are always sections or loopholes in the writings that allow the use of the funds to go to other locations... I've never looked up the taxes on tobacco though.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
And drumroll pease.... Canada has a higher smoking rate than the US. So doesn't work too well apparently.
really? i must visit the wrong town in canada, because i got a totally different view. i need to travel more.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
really? i must visit the wrong town in canada, because i got a totally different view. i need to travel more.
I looked at the statistics online, canada's overall rate is like 3% higher than the US. I already forgot the exact #s, but the US is around 21% and canada 24%. Just goes to show :D

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
I looked at the statistics online, canada's overall rate is like 3% higher than the US. I already forgot the exact #s, but the US is around 21% and canada 24%. Just goes to show :D
wow. with those warning labels and 9 bucks per pack i wouldn't have imagined that. of course when i visit canada i stay in a very small town, so what i saw may be different from the rest of the country.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well, thats why they have those labels though, the attempt to lower that % :) and the price is there to help cover the additional healthcare costs as canada has socialized medicine....

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
It should be good riddance anyhow. Cigs bring forth no good. No positive side effects.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
Well, thats why they have those labels though, the attempt to lower that % :) and the price is there to help cover the additional healthcare costs as canada has socialized medicine....
totally understandable. what does the US does with the tax money though? i mean, i was in service in fort riley from 1995-1999, and in 1999, we had to move barracks to replace our asbestos roof tiles. i'm not sure where i'm going with this rant other than i doubt the government is concerned with anyones health.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
totally understandable. what does the US does with the tax money though? i mean, i was in service in fort riley from 1995-1999, and in 1999, we had to move barracks to replace our asbestos roof tiles. i'm not sure where i'm going with this rant other than i doubt the government is concerned with anyones health.
eh, its not supposed to be their concern either. But when people expect to have their health care taken care of for them in their later years or when they are destitute - medicaide and medicare - the government needs to find a way to make up for it somewhere, and "sin taxes" make sense for that.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
if that's their concern, they need to regulate the industry from the ground up. putting asbestos on the tobacco leaves to kill the bugs is maybe counterproductive to raising taxes to offset the damage? i remember on the side of a pack of cigarettes in canada, where our "surgeon general's warning" was, instead had amounts inhaled per cigarette of :

arsenic
cyanide
benzine
and something else. oh, formaldehyde.

maybe forcing the companies to slow down on their additives will have a much better effect in defraying health care costs. maybe i'm too cynical though.

Broodstar

Broodstar

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I realized how the prices on tobacco are rising. Bout time the govt got to work ^_^